16. Quiet Repose
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After everything that occurred, even I am surprised that we managed to escape without so much as a deterrent. Running through the streets under the moon, the only attention we receive is through the glances of passerby's. No hostiles, no threats, no nothing. Just like that, our time spent at Alidol's residence had ended. Now, we face the front of Vela's home. A single lone mansion, it looks to be the exact same as it was this morning.

"Phew, that was something."

Without a single wasted action, she leaves my back. Barely a moment later, Vela hurries off to her home. Stopping just short of the gate, she opens it and steps inside the perimeter. As if beckoning me to come in, she brandishes her hair and stares at me. I, without anything better to do, comply.

Stepping into the establishment, Vela flicks a switch. With a few flickers, a yellow hue covers the area, transforming the once dark shade into something visible. Vela sighs. Drawing to a halt, she inspects her surroundings, stroking her chin all the while. Sure enough, after a few moments, whatever questions she has are satiated

"Well." Vela comments, breaking the silence. 'It seems we're cleared from any threats or people for now."

That much is true. There's nothing as much as a breath or presence of anyone else besides us. But, there's no evidence that such a scenario would not change.

"And what of later? This peace may be temporary."

"True, but if there's anything I know, it's that I can't do anything about it."

Her gaze then flicks away from me with an emotionless expression. There is not a hint of the previous fear or instability found earlier. All in the span of a fleeting minute, one could easily wonder what it is that has changed. Peculiar as it is, it's not my business to pry. Vela then walks away, ascending up the spiralling wooden staircase before disappearing from sight.

I, naturally, follow. When I finally reach the second floor, I notice that the door to her room is open. Besides the usual sight of a messy room and already existent furniture is Vela. Sat atop a white bed adorned by curtains all around, I can see her look at me. Blank, and expressionless, the only thing that betrays her lack of stillness is the dangling of her feet off the bed.

"Well, after all that happened today, I owe you a few explanations."

To owe. The idea and the notion of needing to reward someone else for what they have done for you. While logical in nature does not seem to apply to our situation.

"You do not owe me anything. I have done you no great service today."

That seems to be an unfulfilling answer for her. As all she does is shuffle her body and feet at a great pace than before.

"Actually, I would argue that if it wasn't for you taking me for an uh ride from the area, that I may have gotten caught and killed."

Certainly, that is a possibility. By the off chance, Vela could have been mistaken for an enemy and killed on sight or, at the bare minimum, taken in for questioning. Though, there is more to her statement than I initially assumed. To automatically assume the worst-case scenario suggests pessimism or knowledge of some circumstance I'm unaware of. Given her personality, it seems the latter is more probable.

"Very well then, given your previous adamancy on wanting to owe me an explanation, speak."

Her reaction, which combines that of a sigh and a shuffle of her body, paves the path for her to talk. After all that, she flashes me an approving furrow of her brows.

"To get it out of the way, let me make it abundantly clear that I did not intend for you to get into that big mess."

Vela says something I just about expected. Despite being morally dubious, there is no doubt that she is almost incapable of lying.

"Second of all, that elvish boy essentially just declared war on a vampire clan, so you kind of got caught in the crossfire."

Inferring back to the slaughter that took place only a few hours ago, I vividly recall the screams and death of the vampires around me. While the circumstances surrounding that are not uncommon, there's a certain idiosyncratic element to her statement that's off-putting. A certain outlier.

"What about Loxoria con Papillo?"

"And what about her?"

Vela's expression undergoes a metamorphosis. At first, it is the face of one faced with uncertainty, unable to comprehend the question. Yet, as a few seconds passed, Vela's face underwent its second stage. Now blessed by comprehension, yet muddled at a newfound revelation.

"You're right. That is kinda wack." Vela begins her usual shuffling yet again. "Why is Loxoria allying with Alidol? More than that, to declare and participate in a war against an ally clansmen does seem pretty strange."

She talks as if she's truly oblivious to the causes and reasons behind the whole ordeal. For someone running side by side the aforementioned duo a while earlier, there are a few discrepancies.

My initial assumption was that she was a captive, given how she was dragged away, but something is off. I cannot say I was ever a great speaker of languages or communicator, but such things are not required in this case. My instinct tells me something is wrong, that something is misplaced, and that something regards the elf.

"What is your exact relation with Alidol?"

"We're partners, but it's more like him just bullying and treating me like shit in exchange for what I need." Saying those words with great speed, Vela rushes the latter half of her sentence. And when she finishes, rolls her eyes.

"Then why do you work with him?"

"That," Vela mumbles in a disgruntled tone. "I don't really have the answer to."

Following that question is the absence of any further ones. Our conversations which had been punctuated by questions and small talk, now devolved into the occasional grumble and remark. Such as Vela yelling 'why's the water so fucking hot' or 'I hate everything' in the shower; there is not much substance to it. When enough time passes, it is my turn. Before long, I make my own venture into the shower and clean myself. Done for the appeasement of Vela then my own standard of hygiene, there is no other reason.

I am not an individual that requires such things. Be it delicious food, shelter, or love; my existence is one independent of these choices.

A quick glance in the mirror, and I know that it proves to be true. Neither a single speck of dust nor dirt covers my body. Or, for any other matter, the clothes that were once over my skin either. Even so, I take in the cold downpour of water and immerse myself in its blanket. For what it's worth, it reminds me of the training I underwent a long time ago. Memories of a distant past, that's all they are to me. Faint images, sounds and names that hold as much importance as the videos on my camera.

2