Chapter Twenty-Two
275 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During dinner, around the noisy table, Dong Woo couldn’t help but smile at the nonsensical conversation the siblings were having between each other. 

Halfway through dinner Jae Hyun barged through the door with a grumbled, “I smell food, both Tailiang and I are very hungry.”

“No papa, you’re very hungry and I’m sleepy,” the little girl sassed as she walked through the door behind him.

She sat down at the table after greeting everyone and accepted a plate from a girl in a purple tunic. She thanked her and started eating. Jae Hyun walked past Dong Woo then paused. He turned his head to look at the person he just noticed and froze.

His eyes darted over every inch of his handsome face. His mouth opened in shock and a confused frown formed on his face. He turned to look at Chushan who looked at him knowingly. He nodded his head at Dong Woo then walked further into the house to the medical room where he placed all the herbs into their respective containers.

Returning to the dining room, the younger children were already gone and heading to the bathing chamber to wash up before night fall. 

He sat down at the table and accepted a bowl of rice, bone broth and a plate of chicken, vegetables and chilies. Chushan and her husband excused themselves while the twins, Rucheng the girl in a purple tunic and their brother Ancheng cleared the table.

“So why are you here?” Jae Hyun asked Dong Woo conversationally.

He sighed, “Is that really the first thing you’re going to ask me after twenty years?” Dong Woo asked.

Tailiang looked between her father and this man then looked at Rucheng who motioned for her to hurry up and leave. The little bub ate her food then left to bathe too.

“What do you want me to say? You being here is no good Dong Woo,” he said dismissively while continuing to eat.

“That is true,” Qian Luse motioned Jae Hyun’s brows furrowed but didn’t comment.

“We’ll be heading to the capital tomorrow morning,” Qian Lan said bring tea into the room. Again Jae Hyun didn’t comment and continued eating.

Dong Woo watched Jae Hyun eat enjoying every second of it.

The twins went up to their room and packed clothes for their visit then went to Qinghe and Changling’s room and packed clothes for them too. Dong Woo followed Jae Hyun to his room where there was an extra bed telling him he could sleep there. 

His daughter soon ran in covered in a towel. Jae Hyun rubbed her dry then dressed her. She ran out to play with the other children leaving her father and Dong Woo alone in the room.

“She’s beautiful,” he complimented her looks. Jae Hyun smirked, “I know she is.”

“Where’s her mother?” he asked not really wanting to know the answer.

“She’s just someone I asked to birth my child,” he answered as he sat down beside Dong Woo. Things were extremely awkward between the two since things were left undone in the past.

Sighing as he rubbed his palms over his face, “I married two years later after you were announced as dead and fathered two children. The eldest is Youxian he is seventeen and the second Enlu who is ten.”

“I see,” is all he said.

Night time arrived and everyone was rushed off to bed as usual.

When morning arrived, the twins got ready along with Rucheng and Yuhua. Both Rucheng and Yuhua were young but they knew how things worked. Rucheng was trained to cater to Changling’s needs whereas Yuhua was trained to cater to Qinghe’s needs and with their plans, she was going to be watching over their sister-in-law.

The twins walked into the boy’s room and woke them up. Qinghe was somewhat awake, still in a daze but somewhat awake. Changling on the other hand was fast asleep drooling the life out of his dreams.

After smacking him a few times, Qian Luse got him to wake up. Rucheng and Yuhua came into the room and gave them a bath, wiping away the sweat and musky scent of the night away. They dressed their brothers up elegantly.

Qinghe was dressed in lavender robes, white pants on with black leather boots. Changling dressed in a crimson robe with white pants on and black leather boots on. Rucheng had her purple tunic on while Yuhua had on a pink tunic.

All six of them wore black hooded cloaks over their clothes. They left early on horses with Dong Woo who reluctantly left Jae Hyun and Tailiang behind. The Rong siblings were so happy that their eldest siblings were leaving them because now they didn’t have to behave a much.

They arrive in the capital an hour later. Dong Woo travelled back to the imperial palace to announce that they will be visiting. The six of them sat in A Thousand Lanterns upstairs with refreshments. Looking out the window, Changling felt empty. Sighing he turned to look at his siblings. 

All five pairs of eyes were on him. Qinghe smiled, “Are you nervous Ah-Ling?”

Changling couldn’t lie to himself and chose not to lie to them, “I’m both nervous and excited. I’ll have the pleasure of disciplining Dong Woo’s sons too so I’ll be fine if things go as planned.”

They frowned, “Why was I not informed about this?” asked Qian Lan.

“You’re not the only one sister,” Qian Luse confirmed.

Rucheng and Yuhua looked at one another knowingly as they both felt that their brother was too excited.

“Just don’t hurt the poor child,” Qinghe commented.

“He’s not a child according to mama, she said he’s seventeen almost eighteen,” Changling said as he remembered their private conversation last night before bed.

“Why didn’t she tell us?” The twins frowned asking at the same time.

Shrugging, Changling brought the strawberry tea to his lips, “After all of this is sorted, Hyung and I will travel to Balhae and build a forth branch of A Thousand Lanterns and if this works out, we could possibly establish a trade with the Japanese nationals.”

“What about Gaya?” Qian Luse asked.

“I’ve heard news of Silla trying to supress Gaya, so until things have settled we should stay away from there. The officials of Goguryeo have also tried to handle Balhae but are getting nowhere thanks to the rebel forces,” Qinghe intervened.

Smirking proudly Changling and his siblings nodded. They all knew very well who the rebel forces were.

*At the palace*

Dong Woo arrived in Wu Yong’s throne room.

Standing face to face with an exhausted Wu Yong he said, “We’ve run into a problem.”

“What could have possibly happened now?” he asked unamused.

“I followed Rong Qinghe back to his home since we had no known address for General Rong… that family isn’t willing to hand over their son since princess Mei Yuan was the one that lied… they’ve sent messengers over who will be arriving in an hour to speak to you,” he said.

Wu Yong frowned, “Does he honestly think he can oppose me in my own kingdom?” he asked referring to Yifan.

“It’s not him, he married again and it’s his wife that’s opposing you,” he said stiffly trying to keep the surprise under wraps.

Sighing heavily Wu Yong looked at his friend who looked at him with a poker face. Seeing no evidence or clues on his face he waved his hand dismissing him. Before Dong Woo turned he said, “They are also wishing that princess Mei Yuan be present… to hear her side of the story.”

*-*-*-*-*-*

Qian Lan and Qian Luse were guided into the royal court by the eunuch at the entrance. They followed behind him silently as they weaved through passage after passage.

“Wait here,” he said and walked through doors that lead into the court. The twins looked at each other under their hoods. The guards who were stationed outside the court doors were on guard since theses woman were hiding their faces.

Their gentle smiles could be seen even though most of their faces were covered. The eunuch came back opening the doors, “The emperor will see you now.”

Walking through the doors past the eunuch, they walked into a large room regal in its décor. They saw that although they requested an audience with only two people, officials and the royal siblings along with the emperor and his three consorts were awaiting their arrival.

Walking along the red carpet they stopped at the foot of the steps leading to the throne where Wu Yong sat adorned in his royal garbs and crown.

Qian Lan and Qian Luse bowed to the emperor. Wu Yong looked at the woman covered in black cloaks before him. He turned his gaze to Dong Woo and Gong Jung Hwan were standing. Dong Woo nodded his head indicating that they were the ones who requested the audience.

“You may rise,” Wu Yong instructed. The twins got up and simultaneously took down their hoods. Raising their heads to look up at the emperor, they said, “Thank you your majesty.”

Wu Yong’s body visibly shook as his eyes gazed upon the beautiful sisters. Not only did their voices sound familiar but their beautiful porcelain. The twins smiled at him with grace and elegance enchanting those around them.

Qian Lan turned her head to the side where the royal siblings were standing making eye contact with Mei Yuan. Qian Lan’s smile dropped, staring at Mei Yuan with malice. Qian Luse nudged her sister grabbing her attention.

Whispering to her sister, “He seems to recognize us.” Qian Lan looked at the emperor’s shocked gaze and smiled amused. They looked at each other knowingly choosing to remain quiet.

The crown prince frowned seeing the entranced look on his fathers face. The empress and consort also frowned since it was unusual for him to stare at someone so long, what’s worse was that they were beauties.

Jung Hwan cleared his throat snapping Wu Yong out of his daze. Clearing his own throat he composed himself and sat up in his chair, staring down at the sisters he said, “State your business here.”

Qian Lan bowed, “Your majesty. My sister and I are here due to your unfair request of our eldest brother Rong Qinghe.”

“Rong Qinghe is to be punished for manipulating my daughter into having an affair with him. Seeing as your father ex-general Rong and his son is not here to fulfil my order, I will have the royal guards turn this kingdom over and fetch them out of hiding. They both will be executed for Rong Qinghe’s actions,” he said with a wave of his hand.

“I beg to differ,” Qian Luse spoke out.

“Oh?” Wu Yong commented curiously.

She bowed. Standing straight she turned to look at Me Yuan, “The one who should be executed is her.”

The royal siblings frowned. “Correct,” Qian Lan added.

“She was the one who sought my brother out and wooed him. He didn’t even like you until later on and yet he must be executed?” Qian Luse said.

“You should be ashamed but we’ll forgive you,” Qian Luse spoke.

“You’re forgiving my daughter?” Consort Shim asked mockingly.

Both sisters scoffed. They hated the empress and the two consorts right down to the bone. Consort Shim’s eyes narrowed on them.

Turning their attention to the emperor, together they eerily spoke, “We urge his majesty to reconsider your decisions.”

“No!” he dismissed. “The two of you are wasting your time and you are wasting mine. Guards arrest these two, they will be punished along with ex-general Rong and Qinghe!” he ordered. 

The guards in the court room stepped forward immediately. Qian Luse turned around and her back hit her sisters. They were now standing back to back with their guards up and a smirk on their faces. Dong Woo frowned.

Stepping forward he took his sword off his side and tapped the end of his sword against the hardwood floor ordering, “All of you stand down.”

The royal guards looked at their commander confused. The emperor just ordered them to arrest the twins but here he was suddenly telling them otherwise. Wu Yong glared at Dong Woo’s back. 

“Dong Woo, what is the meaning of this?” he asked sitting forward. 

Dong Woo turned around. Bowing his head he looked back up at Wu Yong. Seeing the conflicted gaze on his face made Wu Yong feel uneasy. 

“I suggest you listen to us since your guard knows why we are really here,” Qian Lan said with smile.

Dong Woo glared at her, “Remember, this isn’t your home so behaving like runts isn’t allowed,” he said to them.

Qian Luse turned around facing Dong Woo, “I should have killed him when I had the chance,” she said under her breath.

Qian Lan gazed at her sister from the side and nodded. Looking back at the emperor she said, “My family is willing to allow your daughter to marry into our family.”

“My daughter won’t be marrying that boy,” Consort Shim spat.

The twins closed their eyes and sucked in deep breaths to calm themselves. “Your daughter will be marrying into our family whether you like it or not because my brother still has feelings for her even if he declared that he doesn’t. Her first mistake was courting him then making him fall for her. She will suffer at his side as his wife and at the hands of our mother since she is the reason why the emperor has decided to imprison our oraboni,” she said as she opened her eyes.

Qian Luse continued, “We are willing to exchange a life for a life your majesty.”

“What?” Wu Yong asked astounded. A life for a life?

The officials who were quietly watching along with the royals, where confused. “The life of your daughter for the life of you first born,” Qian Lan added.

Wu Yong looked at his crown prince Qiang Wu. He too looked at his father feeling his gaze looking at him confused. Turning to the twins Qiang Wu asked, “What nonsense are you saying?”

The twins smirked, “Not you, you aren’t his first born,” they said together.

3