Chapter 11: travel with Mi’ ara and a somewhat successful casting
3.2k 13 159
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I've been debating something for awhile now. Despite the body I now control, I want to help the protagonist. 

The protagonist of the otome game I am now in, is the direct descendant of the true crown family.  The current crown family actually has no royal blood flowing through their veins. A few generations ago the queen was the only heir to the throne. As such their husband became king. The history books will tell you that the queen of that era had trouble producing non-still born offspring. In reality that queen did have a child in secret, but it was with a commoner. So to cover the whole thing up the queen had the handmaid declare the child stillborn and gave the child to the father to raise in secret. That child had children and their children had children and eventually the protagonist was born. (The current royal family was obviously sired by that times king and his second wife making the Alford route technically not incest)

 All this means that if the protagonist really wanted to they could make a VERY legitimate claim to the throne, which would completely screw up the organization's plan.(The crown actually has an artifact that can prove if you possess royal blood which would make proving the claim easy.) The organization knows about this secret and wants to eliminate the potential problem. There is a flaw in the organization's information however. The organization knows about the protagonist's parents but not the protagonist herself. This means that when the organization pulls off their assassination attempt, they completely miss the protagonist who was hiding in a closet. This event eventually leads to the protagonist going to the royal academy to try and get somewhere in life, only for them to find and get revenge on the organization.

According to the game, the assassination will be happening sometime soon. With my knowledge of magic and badass snake lady I could go to the protagonist's village and stop it before hand. This would benefit me twofold. First the protagonist would have less of a reason to go to the academy as they have parents to support them. While this may seem redundant now that I've run away, there's no knowing how fate will try to pull things back to the game's scenario. That's a thing that happens in some otome iseaki. Every bit of effort might be needed to change time's course. The second reason is that it would give me good will with the protagonist. Even if fate pulls everyone back to the academy, we wouldn't be as likely to but heads as I've litteraly saved their family's life. The problem with this plan is that to make it in time, Mi' ara and I would have to travel through the capital. The capital being the most dangerous place to be in currently, except for maybe my mansion. After some discussion we decided to risk it. To be honest, neither of us would feel good about ourselves if we just let innocent people die... 

After gathering our gear we immediately head out for the capital.

----------

I was honestly amazed with how fast Mi'ara could move. She could easily keep up with me even without body strengthening. I guess that's just the difference between a child's body and an adult's. At least I got to impress her with my magic. Heh, I can't be beat in that department.

 Mi' ara doesn't seem to know much about magic at all actually. Even simple spells wowed her. Do snake folk not practice magic much?

"You know Mi' ara I can teach you some magic if you want. It's pretty simple actually. All you need to do is know the meaning and pronunciations of the words in the magic language to use it."

"Really!? You're willing to teach me? In that case I'll teach you spearmanship in return!"

I kindly declined her offer to learn how to handle a spear. There's a reason I chose to use magic as my main way of fighting. To put it simply I know whatever training I go through is gonna be hellish, no matter the weapon. I know that ahead of time so I'm not gonna excitedly ask to be taught how to use a sword or something and then experience untold pain and suffering under some spartan regiment.

Speaking of spears, I should make her a new one, or at least a new spear tip. Her current one is made out of iron and is unenchanted. This wont do so I form a spear head out of titanium and put it on her spear shaft. Finally I put on an enchantment so that the spear will want to keep its current shape. This means it'll be less likely to break and will keep sharp. Her reaction is a bit mixed though,

"Wow that magic was really something! Although hmm. . . While the spear is a lot lighter and more durable, I'm going to need to get used to the new weight. I'm used to swinging around something much heavier so in actual battle this could cause me to slip up. Is it alright if we postpone the magic lessons so I can get acquainted with this new spear?"

I of course obliged her. Her fucking up on the frontlines could easily be fatal. In the meantime I decided to try practicing the draconic language again. Still no luck and the headache isn't getting any better. Quite simply its like I've hit a brick wall, both in the physical sense and the simile for my progress sense. While it wasn't pleasant I was at least making obvious progress. Now It just feels like I'm giving myself an excessive headache for no reason. 

"I wonder if I'm missing something or I need some special organ." While I was pondering this aloud, mi' ara returned.

"Are you trying to practice some kind of spell? To be honest the air around here suddenly feels rather . . . Pleasant. Maybe I can try casting it and see if that works?"

"Ah sure I guess. Just wear this necklace and use my staff when casting as I don't know how costly it will be mana wise. The words are [dronalis percutiens] ARGH! damn headache... Wait did you say something about the air being weirdly pleas-"

Before I even finished my question, Mi' ara already started casting. A large torrent of mana swirled in the air around Mi' ara, threatening to knock me off my feet. Mi' ara's body started to morph, scales started to spread over her body, each finger grew a fearsome claw. Black reptilian wings grew from her back. Finaly a pair of horns sprouted out of her head. All this concluding is a tiny ember poofing into existence. Then followed by Mi'ara fainting.

I guess I was missing something which Mi'ara has. Although maybe it would have been smarter to actually train her in magic before teaching her the big boy spells. I wonder why she was able to cast it? A racial trait of snake people maybe? I guess this would be a good point to set up camp. . .

159