Chapter 21: finishing the job
2.4k 12 139
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
I said earlier on when writing this story that I'd be writing some side stories at some point. Initially, I was going to write them after freeing the dragon general. However I've been thinking a lot about where I want to go with this story, also I've been rather inspired so starting next chapter, I'm going to write what I'm officially dubbing the intermission chapters. Their purpose will be to fill out some important details that weren't brought up in past chapters because the plot point they'd foreshadow wasn't brought up yet. I'll also be tweaking the older chapters to fix some grammatical errors and add minor details, such as all water in the otome world tasting slightly bitter, when compared to earth and the wire creatures being headless. These intermission chapters will be writen out of order timeline wise, so some events will be in the distant past, some recent history, and even one slightly into the future. These chapters will also pretty much all be from some other character's perspective. I'm personally really excited to start writing these so sorry for the shorter chapter. I just kinda want to get this one done.


B O O M

Quite the satisfying explosion rang out in front of me. Unfortunately, I wasn't cool enough to be able to walk away slowly with the great ball of fire to my back. As such I was propelled back quite a distance. OH GOD THAT HURTS. My landing wasn't exactly clean. My body is covered in scrapes and cut and I think I may have broken a few bones. Not fun. What's even more not fun is the fact that in the rubble, I can see a very much alive, albeit armorless and very injured Cornelius.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. To think you had a spell strong enough to even peirce my anti-magic metal armor. Unluckily for you I brought some effigies to substitute for me if I take a lethal blow. Honestly, I can't comprehend how you managed to pull off such a incantation. It ended up destroying all three effigies. You killed me three times over with a single spell. I suppose you were holding back because you could easily get caught up in it too, right? I really should've brought a mage along with me. Figuring out how to pull off such a feat would've gotten us promoted in an instant. A shame really, I'll be finishing the job here."

What the hell is up with this guy and his slightly off but also slightly accurate predictions? I hastily scurry to cast healing magic upon myself as Cornelius rushes to me., but normal healing magic won't get the job done with a single spell and dragon magic would take too long.

 Cornelius reaches me as I manage to get off the first healing spell. He puts on a sadistic smile as he readies his blade to pierce my skull. I try to roll out of the way but can't do so as it hurts to much. Just as I think all hope is lost, I see a figure slither up behind Cornelius. Took her long enough.

Mi'ara comes in to save the day by attacking Cornelius from behind. Cornelius must've been alerted from the relief on my face and narrowly managed to pass what would've been a lethal blow with only a graze. Even when injured by the explosion, he barely manages to keep up with Mi'ara. Was he going easy on me? I doubt he was feeling bad about attacking me, so maybe he was just toying with his prey? I'll take this time to properly heal up.

As I heal I watch them clash. Mi'ara has a significant power and reach advantage, but loses hard on the speed and reflexes. You just kinda have to face it that Cornelius sprinting on two legs is faster than Mi'ara's slithering. Now that Mi'ara is acting as vanguard like usual, even if she gets one-sidedly beaten up by Cornelius we'll still win, as I'll be able to properly get off dragon magic. The thought of Mi'ara getting beaten up pisses me off a lot though so I won't end Cornelius off with a simple death. As I ready my plan of action, I finish healing. Time for the fun to begin.

I start off by casting [Binding] to ensure even death can't give him release. He can't even move his facial muscles to express his confusion. I take this opertunity to dismiss Mi'ara, asking her to find the Livia and the reincarnator. I don't want her to see what happens next.

Psychologically crying, screams, and other expressions of grief provide relief to the one doing. Basically crying and such actions help calm the person down. Cornelius has been denied these things, as he can't move his mouth or start using his tear ducts. There will be no relief for him. All he can do is watch and suffer.

 The torture is rather boring though. I'm not very clever when it comes to inflicting terrible pain so it only really results in me stabbing him in various places. It doesn't fill me with delight either. In fact I feel rather cold and empty. Cornelius doesn't even react because he can't. It feels more like stabbing a test dummy than an actual human. I decided to call it a day and evaporate him with [crack the sky]. Nothing remains of him when the beam disappears. Well his soul probably still resides stuck, but I can't really see those. . .

I should reflect on my actions.

139