Chapter 4: The Dangers of Charm
1.2k 5 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Finally unoccupied, he checked the notifications he'd ignored earlier.

New Skill Learned! Empowered Bones Lvl 1!

A grand building needs a grand foundation.

Slightly increases Bone resilience and recovery per level.

Minimally increases power capacity of bone per level.

Unarmed Combat Mastery Lvl 1 → Unarmed Combat Mastery Lvl 2

Charm Resistance Lvl 1→ Charm Resistance Lvl 4

Soul Perception Lvl 2→ Soul Perception Lvl 4

Sensual Arts Lvl 1→ Sensual Arts Lvl 5

Jack nodded his head in satisfaction. Even though it didn't seem like much, he knew this was just a taste of the incredible power he could gain, like what it described by increasing the power capacity of his bones. Excited, he tried asking more from the system. What was the best to way to earn skills? What was the strongest skill he could learn right now? No response. Jack frowned. How could he make his innate more powerful like Alicia's? More importantly, what was his innate?

Innate(Rank 1): Unbridled Vigor

All regeneration increased by 50%

Jack nodded. He figured it would be something along those lines, especially with what Wanda said. He'd noticed needing less sleep and his muscle fatigue recovering faster after his years of training with the old crooks he called Masters. He paused for a second, realizing he'd never see those rowdy ex-cons again. He missed them already. No matter their faults or the dark road they'd shown him , they always tried to guide him, even if it was just the best way to stab someone from the side. If only the system was as helpful as they were, he thought.

He laid down, trying to ignore the growing loneliness in his chest when he noticed Alicia stirring. He sighed, not really wanting to move. He preemptively decided to ignore the the sharp lashings of her tongue. He was already feeling down and listening to her talk down to him was about as enjoyable as a shot of antifreeze.

She took him completely by surprise, snuggling against his chest while letting out a contented giggle. Jack froze. Was this a trick? The feedback from the soul bond didn't seem to indicate that. He wracked his brain, finally remembering the notification he'd received about charming her earlier.

“Thanks for the meal,” she said. “I was just getting hungry.”

Her hand dipped down, scooping his cum off her stomach and putting it into her mouth. She stared straight into his eyes with a mischievous glint.

“Yummy~”

She licked another dollop of his cum of her fingers. Jack's jaw dropped as he hardened up again.

“Oh my. Are you going to give me another helping?” she asked. “I wouldn't mind seconds~”

“Are you going to beg for me to fuck you, like I want?”

She shot him a questioning glance then blushed.

“But we're not married,” she said. “That kind of thing is only for my hubby~”

His hand was halfway towards pinning her down when he stopped himself. While he was contemplating that, she wiggled deeper into his embrace.

“Staying like this is nice, isn't it?” she whispered.

Jack gave her an odd look and started wiggling out.

“Come on,” he said. “You're dehydrated and the sun's nearly down. Let's get a move on.”

“I- I can't, my legs are still all wobbly.” she said petulantly. “I'm not going anywhere unless you carry me.”

He gave her a doubting look.

“Please?”

Jack scooped her up into his arms, princess carrying her towards the sound of water. She nestled her head against his chest looking up at him with big puppy eyes.

“I like being together like this,” she said. “It makes the pain in my soul so much better and I get to feel your muscles too. I didn't like it earlier when all I could do was just stare at them.”

Jack gulped.

“What the hell,” he asked. “Why are you acting so damn cute now?”

Alicia blushed.

“You think I'm cute?”

“You better cool it,” he said. “Keep talking like that and I'll eat you up.”

She slapped his shoulder, giggling.

“Bad boy,” she said. “I told you I'm only going to do that kind of naughty stuff with my husband.”

Despite her words, he could feel her raring to go through their bond.

“So all I need to do is marry you?” Jack asked. “That's it? Okay.”

Alicia blinked for a second.

“Wait, Jack did you just- no. Jack!”

“Who else is qualified to marry you?” he asked. “We're soul-bonded. We're having fun. Why not, right?”

“But- I don't- Jack wait-”

Jack kissed her. Excitement surged through their bond. When they separated, Alicia put her hands over her lips. He kissed her again, harder, unable to control himself until he noticed her turning away slightly. She put her hand beneath his chin, fixing his gaze onto her. Her eyes glowed with a starry intensity as she stared searchingly into Jack's own.

“Jack, do you love me?”

Jack gave her his best impression of a deer caught in the headlights. A sad smile slipped across her face.

“I guess that's a no.” she said.

“Sorry,” he said. “I shouldn't have teased you like that. You just got me so worked up, being all sweet like that. ”

She giggled but he still felt that same sadness through their bond. He kissed her again. Her tongue intertwined fiercely with his, breathing heavily when they finally let go. Alicia fidgeted in his arms.

“I-I-If you want to... marry me, first you have to take me on dates a-and hold hands and-”

Jack kissed her again.

“Umm... j-just for today okay?”

After a few minutes of kissing and flirting, the two stayed together in companionable silence.

Alicia has resisted Charm(Minor).

Jack felt confusion come through their bond for a few moments before he felt a sharp and oppressive pressure directed at him. He looked down at the faintly blushing girl in his arms, finding a piercing set of eyes staring at him.

“Enjoying the ride?” he asked.

She blushed fiercely.

“P-Put me down,” she said.

He obliged. Alicia nearly fell as she still struggled to move her shaking legs. She moved back to her usual position behind his back, with her hand on his shoulder.

“You didn't happen to remember everything that just happened, did you?” he asked.

She stayed silent but the wave of embarrassment was answer enough for Jack.

“I... I won't forgive you for taking advantage of me,” she said. “I'll make you pay. I swear it. You're going to regret this day, Jack.”

Jack raised his eyebrows at her, considering the girl for a moment. With the way she'd been acting, especially while charmed, he'd realized there was a better way to deal with Alicia.

“I was close, wasn't I?" He asked. “All I had to do was say that I loved you and you would've done anything I asked.”

The girl's heart fluttered for a second before her anger burned hot once more.

“You're an animal,” she said. “Vile bastard. Prick. Piece of-”

“Shut up,” he said. “Unless you want another round, you don't get to speak to me like that anymore.”

Alicia noticed his clenched fists and hard eyes. Her legs were still wobbly but she readied herself for another bout. He failed to hold in a mocking laugh.

“Alicia,” he said. “I think we both know how that ends. You don't even have your stick with you anymore!”

“Even if you'll beat me, don't think I'll go down without a fight.”

Jack shook his head.

“You have to understand something Alicia: you've been at my mercy all day. Those last two times we scrapped? That's me playing nice. Be thankful I've been so lenient with you.”

“Lenient,” she said. “Lenient is what you'd call your disgusting behavior?”

Jack smirked.

“For a nerd, sometimes you're not that smart”, he said. “Isn't it obvious I've been holding back this whole time? Go ahead. Use your screwy masochist brain for a second. You don't think I couldn't have been wrecking your shit in all day? Especially after the way you were behaving on earth?”

Alicia actually thought about it. He could feel her growing excited all on her own. Jack rolled his eyes.

“See,” he said. “By the standards of criminal scum, I've basically been a gentleman, no? In fact, I'd be happy to treat you with even more dignity. Wouldn't you prefer me to be better behaved?”

Jack held his hand out to the girl.

“All I want in return is two things from you. One, a little more respect when speaking to me. If you're always getting me mad this will never work. And vice-versa. I'll try to cool down as well.”

Alicia looked at his hand with suspicion.

“What's the second?”

“The second has to do with the sexual tension between us. I can barely resist jumping on you even right now. You're naked, gorgeous and the fact that I can literally feel you're just as horny as me does not help. I'm going to stare at you. I can't help it. There's just no way I won't, especially if you insist on listening to what Wanda said. I am a fucking man. If your naked body is going to be in direct contact with me for six hours a day, I'm going to get riled up. And if you tease me or act all cutesy like you were when you were charmed I'm going to do a hell of a lot more than just stare. If you act out, if you choose to really get me going, everything but your virginity is fair game.”

“I don't like the sound of that.”

Jack shrugged his shoulders.

“Alright,” he said. “Then we do the other option.”

“What other option?”

“The non-gentleman option,” he said. “The one where I beat up an unarmed, hobbling girl that weighs seventy pounds less than me. Then I restrain and fuck the shit out of her as long as I want.”

Alicia's face soured. Her mind raced for ideas. She couldn't run because of her soul bond. Weapons? Where did she put her stick?

“Pick or I pick for you,” Jack said. “And if I'm picking for you, I am not going to be in a good mood.”

Panic set in for Alicia. She bit her lip hard enough to draw blood.

“You're really overthinking it,” he said. “Just don't be a fucking tease and I won't do naughty stuff to you. Don't forget about the state of your soul, either. Agree and I'll do whatever I can to make your soul feel better. I think I'm being pretty fair.”

The girl grit her teeth and shook his hand. Jack sighed.

“I was really hoping you'd pick the non-gentleman option,” he said. “Whatever, a deal is a deal. Let's get going. I'm fucking thirsty.”

Alicia glared at him, but restrained herself. She was hurting all over, her soul especially. She moved back behind him, hand on his shoulder to help heal her soul. Immediately, her soul felt better, like a wound soaked in warm aloe. Then she felt him push deeper into their bond with intent to support her soul. Alicia let out pleased sigh. Her limbs went soft for a second and she bumped against his back. She flinched away from him for a second but when she noticed he kept offering her support, she relaxed. Her eyes wandered to the skill messages she'd been ignoring for awhile.

New skill learned! Pain Resistance Lvl 1!

Life hurts.

Minimally decrease intensity of pain per level.

Slightly decrease chance of pain to inflict status conditions per level.

Slightly increase clarity and awareness when experiencing pain per level.

Pain Resistance Lvl 1 → Pain Resistance Lvl 3

New Skill Learned! Soul Cohesion Lvl 1!

The broken shall be reforged.

Broken soul fragments have slightly increased attractiveness towards each other per level.

Slightly increased resistance to persistent soul damage per level.

Soul Cohesion Lvl 1→ Soul Cohesion Lvl 3

Pain Resistance Lvl 3 → Pain Resistance Lvl 4

New Skill Learned! Soul Bond Mastery Lvl 1!

Two heads are better than one. You never fight alone.

Slightly increased connectivity through Soul Bond per Level

Slightly increased efficiency when using inherent Soul Bond Magics per level.

She frowned, even if getting a sword skill was unlikely, she'd hoped to get something fighting related. At least there was something to help out my soul, she thought. Although she was definitely not enjoying the idea of having increased 'connectivity' to Jack.

They pressed forward, reaching a small stream. Jack looked around quickly, then took a knee and started drinking. Alicia was even faster then him, gulping down water like a fish out of its bowl. Thirsts sated, they felt rejuvenated from their exertions. Their stomachs growled simultaneously. They shared a look.

“Did you see any edible plants around while we were walking?” he asked.

“No,” she said. “What about this stream? There's got to be something we can fish out of here.”

Jack looked up and the falling sun and shook his head.

“We're almost out of light,” he said. “If we're going to spearfish we need to see what we're hitting. Plus, your stick is going to need sharpening before we try...”

Alicia glared at Jack.

“We're going back for it later,” she said.

“What are you a six year old boy attached to your little make believe sword?” he asked. “Fine, we'll get it tomorrow. I'm done with today. Let's find a cave near those big rocks. Somewhere that'll block this wind while we rest for the night.”

The towering rocks surrounding them obscured the horizon around them but Jack continued to observed his surroundings carefully as they walked through the woods. Even if it seemed like they were enclosed in a safe space, his instincts wouldn't allow him to trust his life with Wanda's offhand remark on safety.  He kept waiting for something wild to happen, something unexpected.

He let out a sigh. Maybe beyond those rocks, he'd find something to really make him feel like he was in a different world but things didn't seem too different. Even with the trees sprouting purple leaves and the strangled monkey noises the birds produced, Jack could've believed he was still on Earth.

They reached the towering rocks and walked along the perimeter before settling under a low rocky cave with vines hanging overhead. He scrounged nearby rocks for more hanging vines, weaving them perpendicular to the vines at the cave entrance to form a loose screen over the entrance. He hoped the night wouldn't be too rough because he wasn't sure how much  protection from the weather the vines would offer but he was satisfied knowing it would help a little and potentially shield them from unfriendly eyes. Alicia sat huddled in a corner, holding her knees into her chest. He felt something like confusion or maybe loneliness from her.

He almost went to comfort her but thought better of it. He was probably the last person she wanted comforting her.

“Do you want first watch?” he asked.

She shook her head slightly.

“I'll wake you when it's your turn.” he said. “If your soul is bothering you, you can come to me.”

He heard her get up and felt her back leaning against his own. He felt her relaxing as her battered soul drew comfort from his own. He heard her soft snores behind him

Jack faced outward, looking from behind the vines, every now and then. Mostly though, he examined his wounds from when they fought earlier. Her strikes on his shoulders left long purple bruises. He touched his lower left ribs and grimaced. She'd definitely cracked two of his ribs with her strike. The pain wasn't great, now that most of his adrenaline had worn off but it didn't seem to seriously weigh him down. Reassured, his body didn't have any deeper issues, he turned to experimenting with the system once again. Quests.

You are currently undertaking one Area Quest!

Give me a quest, he thought.

There are currently no other Area Quests in your location. No Questmasters detected within two hundred miles. Quest assignment rejected.

He frowned. Show my quest.

Area Quest: Escape the Forecoming Tide!

Requirements: None

Mission: Escape! The Dimensional Incursions have reached Licirmon! All combatants below level 70 should retreat at least two hundred miles from the the Veltuvian Plains.

Rewards: Enhancement to Movement type skills based on usage and distance traveled.

Progress: Currently 600.7 miles away from the two hundred mile border. Dimensional Incursion will reach in twelve hours!

Jack's heart sunk.

23