Intermission Chapter: The Chamberlain’s Thoughts
317 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Celso Barrera could only sigh as he exited his young master's room

After the fiasco that happened inside the Baron's office, he decided to summon the maids and with their help, they were able to convince the young Lord to take a rest for a while in his own room.

His hand gently grasped the door handle as he slowly closed the wooden door.

As someone who was appointed as a Chamberlain of the Comunero Household, it fell on his shoulders to take a good care of the head of the household's health.

And as to why such a man between his forties and fifties like him working as an officer in charge of managing this household, it's about his loyalty and gratitude.

You see, ten years ago this man's life was saved by the late Baron Andres. As to show his utmost gratitude for saving his life, Celso pledged to serve under him. Since then the old man had been helping Lord Andres in managing the entirety of Comunero Barony.

"Did the young master fell asleep?"

A very familiar voice made itself known behind him. Turning his head, his aged brown eyes were welcomed by a sight of a woman garbed in a maid outfit.

The maid in question who had a lighter tone of brown skin, black hair in a bob cut fashion, and brown eyes like the color of almonds was Jimena Barrera, the Maid Supervisor of the household.

She also happens to be Celso's daughter.

Celso's lips slightly twitched as he send a  small smile towards her daughter while replying to her query.

"Yes he did."

The maid only nodded her head as she tilted her head to the side, her eyes darting towards the wooden door.

"That's good. With the current events happening, the young Baron needs it."

The old chamberlain saw the frown on her daughter's face, indicating that like him, she was also concerned for Cielo's well-being.

Ever since the young boy was still an infant, it was his daughter Jimena who catered to the needs of Cielo. She even served as the young lord's wet nurse and mother figure.

"You know it would be easier to tend to the young master if you just accepted my suggestion in the past."

"That again, Father? I've already told you time and time again why I can't do that."

"Haha, I know, I know."

Celso let out a chuckle as his daughter let out a sigh of exasperation.

It was a shame though, she could be more than just a Maid Supervisor...

There was a reason why such thought float in the chamberlain's mind. Celso deduced that it was due to Jimena's strong respect and gratitude towards the late Baroness Isabella that prevented her to embrace that idea.

May the Lady's soul rest in peace.

The old man then fixed his stare towards the wooden door or rather, the person who was currently occupying it.

"So what did really happen back in the office?"

"Well…"

The chamberlain paused for a bit, his fingers instinctively reached for his beard, twirling the grown hairs repeatedly before continuing.

"It appears to be that the young Lord surprisingly managed to unlock his magic potential."

The Maid Supervisor Jimena looked at him with widened eyes and Celso could understand her reaction.

While it was an open secret to those working within the household that Cielo didn't have any ounce of talent when it comes to magic, they did not dare to broach the topic or even speak anything related to it under the late Andres' orders.

The servants felt sorry for the boy but since it wasn't appropriate for a servant to show such feelings out in the open, they can only symphatize with him in silence.

But with the sudden development then perhaps…

"Did father saw young master's affinity?"

At the woman's query, the old man nodded though there was a frown on his face.

Noticing his father's expression, Jimena couldn't help herself but ask.

"It's not that bad, isn't it?"

Celso only shook his head.

"It's quite the opposite."

The chamberlain twitched his lips, his eyes were shimmering as if he had found a treasure within a cave.

"His doesn't belong to the four categories."

The Maid Supervisor for the second time, widened her eyes as she recognized her father's words.

There was an obvious reason for this. In this world, magic power have colors each corresponding to the four elements; red for fire, blue for water, green for wind, and yellow for earth. By seeing the color of one's magic, it is easy to determine his or her elemental affinity.

There are also instances where one doesn't have one but two to four magic colors. Individuals who have such colors are labeled as geniuses by the society. A country would invest their resources towards this promising individuals.

However, there are rare cases where one's magic color doesn't belong to any of the four major colors. If the value of people having two or more affinities is like silver, then these people who have unique affinities are akin to gold.

In addition to that, these individuals became the foundation of the current society due to their unique lineages. If Jimena should believe her father's words then it could only mean that Cielo is-

"B-But how is that possible?"

"That… I don't know."

Celso was also confused like his daughter. After all, as far as they both know both the deceased Baron Andres and Baroness Isabella have single elemental affinities which are fire and wind respectively. So color them surprise when out of nowhere, the Lord and Lady's child have unique magic color that differs from his biological parents.

Then there was Cielo's sudden change of behavior.

The chamberlain then pulled a piece of paper out from somewhere and stared at it.

As far as Celso was concerned, the young Lord that was cheerful and childish back then was now replaced with a young child whose temperament and demeanor resembles like that of an adult.

That calm and collected attitude.

That a calculative eyes.

That coolheadedness.

If Celso have to be honest, he was convinced that the boy was possessed by a vengeful spirit upon seeing his odd behavior. 

State of agriculture and food supply, list of farmers, list of families of the fallen soldiers… The list goes on and on.

If a person would take a look on what is written on the parchment, there is no way that a 10 year-old could make up something as detailed like this.

But then again, with the current situation it isn't impossible for the boy to change into a different person.

The chamberlain decided that he will keep on observing the young Lord. He could feel that a new wind is already moving the entire barony into a new direction, into a new era.

And he was sure of it.

4