Epilogue – Her Choice
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sayaka Uehara strutted forward, looking at the ruins that surrounded her. Besides the howling wind, her footsteps were the only noises that can be heard in the silence of night.

In a departure from what she's used to seeing, there was no crimson sky. Instead, the stars twinkled amidst the clouds in motion.

Elysium Research Complex. Specifically, she walked on what remained of it after the fire that burned it down three years ago.

The place, reduced to half-abandoned construction pillars, looked nothing like the glorious facility of three years ago. Most of Elysium's offices had relocated and scattered all throughout Shiroki City.

What remained was this humongous piece of land, devoid of life it seemed. She put her hands behind her back, letting the wind blow against her.

As it swept through her hair, she felt an ounce of loneliness pass her by.

She then looked down to look at her black crop top. Along with the black and red skirt, they gave her appearance an extra edge that she did not have until now.

This was a gift from Guren Izaya. Something to replace the clothes that dastardly manager had damaged. According to him, this outfit fit her to a tee.

She continued walking, mulling her decisions amidst the chilly air.

She soon approached the meeting place, a large memorial with a plaque. Facing away from her was the person she had set forth to meet. His long, silver hair swayed.

"You've come early."

"Being prompt is a habit of mine."

"Have you finalized your decision?"

"I will help you under the condition that I only partner with you, and I get to leave Euphoria whenever I want. Also, I get the first try at the Akashic Records."

Turning around, Guren Izaya greeted her with an inviting smile.

"Those are sound conditions. But the last one concerned me. Are you sure your body will be able to handle it?"

Seeing her nod, he responded in kind before turning his attention back to the memorial.

"Has Miyuko has told you about the significance of this place?"

"Yes."

"Great. That means that I do not have to tell you its full history. Three years ago, three people plunged down the depths of Hell. After being blessed with the gift of enlightenment, only two managed to escape Purgatory."

He stomped on the floor.

"Now, only one will return and break mankind free from the shackles of the system. Soon, the gate to Babel will re-open. The tower is where it all began, and that is where I intend for it all to end."

He looked at the sky above.

"When I shatter the boundary between the two worlds, Babel and the Akashic Records will manifest in this world, and humanity's path to salvation will be opened. A world free from conflict. One without sin and death. It awaits us, and as a race, we shall finally be free."

"Don't forget to hold up your end of the bargain once you open the gate," Uehara said firmly.

"Sayaka Uehara, let us find the host of the Magna Arbiter and take humanity to far greater heights. The hour of transcendence is upon us."

He finished his grandiose speech, and Uehara only felt slightly impressed. Her thoughts were fully occupied with the much-awaited reunion. She would get to see and touch her brother again, and unlike the time at Samsara, this will be for good.

However, before any of that can happen, they had matters to deal with first. They had yet to collect the host of the Ascended One.

"What about this world? Dragging Babel here and causing the two worlds to collide will unleash Hell. It's just like what that mad doctor proposed. The very same doctor who's your subordinate, if I may add."

"What Dr. Kagami proposed was rash, I agree. However, you have to know that our goals are aligned. Euphoria wants nothing but for humanity to be free. To transcend. While the doctor's proposal was rash, it was only so because he did not have the world's savior leading him."

Uehara scoffed.

"Who lives and doesn't no longer matters now that I am here. All the damage will be undone the moment I grab hold of the Akashic Records. The power to rewrite 'truth' was our ultimate prize, remember? We all get to live in our dream worlds. You can have your reunion with Senri. No longer will Touya Satoru be feeling the resentment he held to the strong. Reiya Utara will be able to see Meiya once again. Ain't that great?"

Just how does he plan to do that? And for everyone?

"So, you have anything for me?" asked Izaya, prematurely interrupting the girl's train of thought.

"Back at Samsara, we weren't able to pinpoint the host of the Magna Arbiter's powers, but I can change that."

"I'm listening."

Uehara raised two fingers.

"If we're considering people who were in the Temple of Recollections and Samsara, I have narrowed it down to two people who may have gotten the Magna Arbiter's powers."

"And who are those?"

"Hikari Arata and Sana Kurashiki."

A gust blew by after she named the two girls, and this was really the point of no return.

Her heart was set.

1