Chapter 24: Interviews with fox Girls
60 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Huh, that’s an odd way of putting it.” He got concerned hearing her say it like that. “Pay you back how?”

“Oh so now you’re awfully suspicious of one of us.” She got offended by his hesitation. “Wish you would treat Tenha with the same level of skepticism.”

“I have to start somewhere.” He responded. She would then continue to not tell him what she planned on doing with him after dinner was cooked. Because of this, he had no other choice but to go get himself cleaned, and mentally prepared himself for what was to come when he finished.

After a quick shower, the man walked out to see there was a nice meal prepared for the three of them. It smelled wonderful, much better than anything Tenha had ever whipped up. Now the only question was if it tasted better too.

“Since she’s ill, I decided something easy to down would be best for her sake.” She told him as she poured out the noodles into three separate bowls. “I’ll just leave this on the coffee table for her to eat when she’s ready. How about the two of us enjoy this meal in a more… Private location?”

“Now you really got me worried.” He replied as he picked up his own bowl. Nishiki eyed over at Tenha, who in a daze got up as the scent of dinner hit her nose. Instinctual, but without being aware of her surroundings, she began to hit it like a wild animal would.

“It’s for your own safety.” She told him, pulling the man away from the living room and into his bedroom. “We get a bit crazy when illness strikes. Fortunately it’s not something that happens often.” Since she was being vague about the details of what parts of their mind they lost when sick. It only worried him more about what Tenha might do to him if he were alone with the girl tonight.

“Thanks for the help then.” He sat down on his bed and took some bites of the noodles. It really did taste better than anything his so-called servant had made. Including the time when he lent some help as well. “It’s great, you’re a wonderful chef.”

“As much as I enjoy the compliments.” She said, sitting down besides him on his bed. “You don’t need to flatter me.”

“Right…” He got a bit quiet and reserved as the pair continued to eat their dinner in this somewhat cramped space known as his bedroom.

“Is something wrong?” She easily took notice of the chance in his behavior. “I hope there’s nothing wrong with the meal I provided us.”

“It’s not that.” He replied with unease. “It’s just that… Well us humans kind of considering what we’re doing to be a bit on the… Intimate side.”

“If this is how you react to women, then it’s no wonder you are currently unmarried.” She gave him a good roast before continuing on. “But I assume you’re still concerned about what I meant by you paying me back.” There was also running in the back of his mind. He didn’t know her well at all compared to Tenha. So despite her constant warning about that girl’s danger to his health. It was entirely possible she was worse in much more insidious ways.

“Yeah, what is it you want me to do?” He asked. “I hope it’s not something that’ll be contractual.”

“I definitely don’t want you signing any more contracts with us fox spirits.” She assured him, putting down her bowl of food onto his nightstand. “Actually, I was hoping to ask you some personal questions.”

“About what?”

“It’s not often us spirits get to interact with humans. Normally I wouldn’t care one bit about your society, but it is interesting to hear the thought process of one such as yourself.”

“Sure, it probably won’t be that bad.” He could live with it since he didn’t have to live with her. As long as it wasn’t some long held personal secret, which sounded unlikely given her description on what she searched for, then he would be okay.

“Don’t act like being around me is torture.” She noted his continual need to keep his guard up around her. Something that clearly had gone away from him the longer he had spent time with Tenha. “Anyway, I was just wondering how you would normally make your decisions.” The first time she had met him, the man made what she considered to be a fatal choice. But that was unfair given he was tricked by the small fox girl.

“Heheh, I certainly make sure to read contracts I sign…” He nervously chuckled in response. That decision likely made her look at him like a moron. “I was working late, so I was tired. We all make mistakes when we’re exhausted.”

“And speaking of being tired, what’s the point in working to the point of exhaustion?” The fox spirits didn’t get as fatigued compared to humans, so they were able to fulfill tasks with less effort. “I get it’s your job, but is it really necessary?”

“I am glad that I get paid a little extra for the time.” Though the rates didn’t make up for the lost hours of sleep. “Tenha mentions it a lot, but I do have a lot of money saved up for my future.”

“Considering that human’s don’t live anywhere near forever, is there a reason to keep it saved up for later?”

“Well, maybe our lives are short compared to your kind. But it’s still a long while.” He knew that life was always called short, but it was also the longest thing a human would do. “A day will come when I can’t work any longer. So I want to be secure in my future.”

“Fair enough, perhaps if our friend in the living room was more concerned about her future. Then maybe she wouldn’t be in this mess.”

“If I’m allowed to ask a question.” He said as she glanced over in the direction Tenha would be in if they could see her through the wall. “How long is that contract supposed to last? It’s not forever, right?”

“While there is no confirmed end date. When the contract is satisfied, you two will be free of each other.” That did little to assure him that this life would be ending anytime soon. If he knew when the date would come, then he could live just bearing the occasional suffering caused by that girl.

“Well isn’t that just great?” He asked aloud in sarcastic tone. “I just hope it won’t take a chunk of my life.”

“Now, I only have one more question to ask of you.” She turned their conversation back in her court. “Be completely honest with me, are you attracted to Tenha or myself in any manner?”

“What!?” He nearly spit out the broth of his meal, since she asked as he began to slurp up some noodles. The man coughed a bit in a futile attempt to regain his composure. “W-what kind of question is this?”

“It’s an entirely fair thing to ask.” She continued to press the issue like it was a normal thing to say. “I have looked a little bit into what humans seem to enjoy.” Kinuko had gotten curious after seeing how her kind were represented in that video game Nishiki had bought for Tenha. “Humanity appears to have some odd tastes.”

“I… Can’t argue with you there…” He was disappointed, but couldn’t defend himself easily when such content existed. Even he was aware of one that she might’ve stumbled upon.

“I’ve heard of what you call, manga, as a source for entertainment. One of their stories includes something not to dissimilar to your situation.”

“Yeah, I definitely never imagined something like that would be possible.” He could also assume she would be aware of how some people thought about the fox girl in that story. “But I wish my life was more like that story instead of what I actually got.” It seemed he had literally been hit with the expectations vs reality meme real hard.

“Look, I won’t judge you for it. I only want to know if you feel attraction for someone like us in a similar vein that you would a woman of your race.” He didn’t want to answer it, but Nishiki felt his hesitation was too similar to that of his high school self. He would’ve thought he’d mature past that age by now, but apparently making his feelings honest were still a challenge.

“Don’t tell Tenha about it.” He said, though she had on plans on doing so anyway. “But I do think she’s c… C-cute.” He’d be lying if he didn’t take notice of her. But that was only because she was a girl who lived with him for a while now. It was nothing special to take much stock out of.

“Thank you for providing me this interview.” She got up and collected both their bowls so that she could take them to the sink. “You’re free now, and this information is certainly interesting after all.”

“Yeah sure, whatever.” He quickly gave her a goodbye and watched as she left his room and presumably his house. Then the man plopped face down onto his bed, stressed out but also relieved that Tenha didn’t just hear him say what he just did.

1