Chapter 26: Future Goals
46 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After an otherwise normal weekend, Nishiki found himself back at work where he was more at home with. Though the air around felt a bit different causing a change in atmosphere. For most people, they appeared a bit happier with some bounce in their step. The only exception being his coworker who sat besides him.

“What’s up with everyone today?” Hinae asked out loud, appearing a bit agitated.

“I feel like it’s more what’s up with you?” He replied. “I get everything’s got a bit of an aura, but you seem unhappier than usual.” It was normal of him to take note when her bad side had been shown. Those days he would just do his best to avoid her to get enrage the woman. Even now he planned on staying quiet after they finished this conversation.

“Can’t you just hear everyone talking?” She responded. That was another thing he couldn’t help but overheard from most people who also decided walking around was a better idea today. There wasn’t anything special in his ears that thought much about what was said, but he did note people were talking about dates. “Sheesh, this is why I hate Valentine’s day.”

“But that was a couple of days ago.”

“Exactly.” She spoke that one word as clear as possible. “I thought it being on a weekend this year would save me from everyone’s drivel, but I guess not.” So he chalked it up as her being jealous that there were people bragging about how great their holiday was. Knowing her, he could tell she didn’t have anything done on that day was most likely treated it as if it wasn’t a holiday.

“Fair enough.” He replied. “I guess it’s not like my holiday was anything special either.” Though Nishiki did get Tenha that gift, which made things a little awkward between them. That said, they got over it and he spent the rest of the day playing on their Gamestation 3 together. So it wasn’t a bad day either.

And that was the end of him talking to her for the rest of the day. The man knew better than to poke the sleeping bear. Though in this situation this would be like poking a bear who already bared its teeth at you and being surprised when it attacked.

Nishiki would spend the next few hours at his desk. He still overheard a lot of people talking about their weekends and the wonderful dates they had. Which did make him realize she might’ve had a point in being frustrated from hearing all of this with little choice but to bear it for now. It also made him appreciate that he didn’t spend the holiday all by himself like he normally had ever since leaving college. So that was another plus to having Tenha around.

Once he had gotten most of his work done for the day, he decided a short break was in order. It was also around the same time where his other coworker, Fusa would be taking a break. So it would be nice to talk to her and see where he weekend had taken her. “Hey.” He said, greeting her as he entered the break room.

“Oh, it’s nice to run into you here.” She seemed a bit shocked to see him here. Even though he had started to take breaks more often. Perhaps she still thought it strange after knowing him for about a year and rarely ever seeing him in the break room. “You have a good weekend?” She asked, which was easily the most basic and mundane question in all of existence.

“Yeah, it was fine.” He responded in kind with the most basic and mundane answers in existence to follow. They then proceeded to stand awkwardly together as he went to grab a cup of coffee. “So, since it was Valentine’s, did you give anyone any chocolates?”

“Me?” She was a bit shocked to hear him of all people ask her that. The only way it would seem stranger to her is if it were Hinae. “No, there’s no guy I’m into right now.”

“I suppose staying focused on work isn’t so bad.” He would’ve thought a younger, cute girl like herself would’ve been dating someone. Certainly he would assume she was in a better position than Hinae, who was grumpy and bitter.

“What about you?” She returned the favor in kind. “If you’re asking, then does that mean you had a valentine?”

“I did give someone chocolates.” He answered honestly. There was no reason for him to lie here, but he didn’t expect the reaction she gave him either.

“You did!?” She responded with more energy than he thought she’d have. “I can’t believe there’s someone you’re interested in. You never looked like there was anyone in your life.”

“It wasn’t a romantic thing.” He cleared it up for her. “I was just taking advantage of it to express thanks to my friend.” She continued to look at him in confusion. Admittedly it was a weird way and time to decide to do something like that with someone he knew. Obviously, and she was correct in this assessment, the person who would be receiving the gift would get confused about it as well.

“Ahh, I guess it’s kind of hard being one of the people here without anything going on in their love life.” She sighed, speaking out loud her disappointment. “If even you have someone, I’m worried I’m falling behind.” She still didn’t believe him on the matter that the person he gave a gift to wasn’t a romantic gesture.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” His question was to show his offense to how she worded her statement, but she misunderstood. Instead she simply explained her concerns.

“Don’t tell her I said this…” She spoke quietly now, keeping an eye on the entrance to the break room. “But the woman you work next to, Hinae… I don’t want to turn into her.”

“I don’t think a lot of people do.” He replied. “Eh, I’m not going to trash talk her behind her back though. She is still a colleague.” Despite their occasional moments of adversary feelings for the other. Nishiki did respect the person whom he considered a coworker who was closer to him than most.

“I feel awful for what I said.” Despite it being the most tame way of speaking poorly of a person. Fusa immediately felt guilty for doing so at work. “She’s going to hate me if she hears about this.” Though he knew no one, since he would be that one, would say a word about this conversation to that woman.

“Oh, looks like the break room’s a bit busy today.” Another person came into the room as they chatted and sipped on their coffee.

“Hey Hideumi.” Nishiki greeted him. This was another one of his coworkers, a man who was a few years his senior. “We were just talking about the weekend. Say, you’re married, how was your Valentine’s?”

“Oh it was great.” He immediately glimmered with pride over being able to talk about his time with his wife. “Thanks to a friend who helped take care of our daughter. The two of us were able to spend a day trip vacation to one of the hot springs in the next town over.” Hideumi would then give them the full story which took so long that Nishiki nearly regretted asking in the first place.

“That’s nice.” He took a long sip of his coffee to soak in all the information he just got dumped with.

“How do you do it?” Fusa asked, which made no sense to either of the men. “I mean, how do you stay so lively all the time?”

“Oh she’s just worried since she spent Valentine’s by herself this year.” Said Nishiki, much to the embarrassment to the younger girl. “I mean, she’s still young, so it’s not a big deal, right?”

“I wouldn’t be able to tell about the whole timing of it.” Hideumi put his fingers under his chin to indicate a thinking stance. “I ended up married to my childhood sweetheart. And it’s been wonderful for me ever since.”

“I don’t see how you’re helping us at all.” He could tell from the face Fusa made she got more worried about her place in life at the moment.

“I’m not saying you need to be in love with someone to be happy, but I’d recommend trying to figure out what’s important in your life. That way, even during the hardest days at work, there’s something to look forward to.” He would think smile as the man thought about something, probably his cute little daughter.

“Something to look forward to…” Nishiki thought about his own life with that sentence. Was there anything he looked forward to at all in his life?

“Yeah, and I think you need that advice more than Fusa.” Hideumi laughed. “If people didn’t know us better, they wouldn’t believe I’m the older one between us.”

“Okay, you can shut up.” He replied, not amused with the joke. But Fusa was as she laughed along with the other man.

1