Chapter 28: My Present
57 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nishiki walked inside to find respite from the cold air. Not that the inside of this convenience store was much warmer due to the ownership cheaping out on using their heating. So it was like walking out of a freezer to go into a refrigerator. He bared it for now as he peered the employees just hanging about by the front counter.

The man didn’t have much in his head on what he planned on doing here once he got inside. Pretty much all his actions had been based around just needing to get outside and away from the house for a bit. There was no plan or goal, just like how his life had turned into.

This funk he found himself had come to a head as he simply sighed and browsed all the magazines on display. It was at this point he wondered if perhaps the fear that Fusa had at work had taken a hold of him as well. Not to be mean to Hinae at all, but turning out like her would be something even she would agree is a bad outcome.

As Nishiki eyes one of the gravure magazines, one that held inside plenty of pretty women inside. He thought for a moment on if he should purchase it. Then the man decided against it. Something about the idea of buying this felt as though he would just be sinking further into what he fear would happen. So he did his best to avoid the temptation.

“Sir, is everything all right?” The manager at the register spoke to him. From that man’s point-of-view, he appeared to be wandering aimlessly around the store. Which would be the correct assessment of the situation as even Nishiki didn’t know what to do now. “You haven’t been drinking or anything, have you?”

“No, I just haven’t been able to sleep.” It was a fair question to ask on a late night. Though the manner in which he spoke his words should be more than enough proof to confirm he was sober.

“You should eat a hot dog.” Said the young girl who worked besides him. “That’ll definitely cheer you up.”

“Could you just take care of the trash and backrooms for a little bit?” Her boss quietly whispered to her. “I’ll handle this.”

“Okay, anything you want, you got it.” She took the command with more enthusiasm than any normal person would react with. The girl then proceeded to leave the two men alone as she went towards the back to do exactly what he ordered her to do.

“I’m not going to cause any trouble.” Nishiki spoke first. He figured that he must’ve looked suspicious from his actions and demeanor. So it was an attempt to try and get in front of being accused of potential wrong doing.

“I know you won’t.” The manager assured him of his own feelings. “But I’ve been in the business long enough to know when people come by and are troubled by something.”

“You’re not really a therapist.” Despite saying that, Nishiki walked to the counter to engage their conversation with earnest. “But I’m just worried about my future.”

“I know that’s a worry for us all.” He responded. “What is it for you? Work? Love life?”

“That’s the thing, I just don’t know.” He answered. “I was working so much, but someone recently came into my life. Now I’m just trying to figure out what’s different in my life or not.” Nishiki leaned down onto the counter. “What about you? Someone like you who’s gone through a ton of life here in a convenience store?”

“Well I’m only 22…” He clarified with unease.

“You’re younger than me?” He couldn’t believe it. This guy looked like he was at least in his 30s from the looks of it.

“I swear it’s just the stubble.” It made the manager self conscious as he fiddle with it for a bit. “But look, I knew this is what I wanted to do ever since I started working here. The status isn’t important to me. You’re a salary man, right?”

“That’s correct.” Nishiki was surprised given he wasn’t in his normal office attire. “How can you tell?”

“Because you’re scared that you’ll look back one day and think you wasted it all in a cubicle.” He was much more direct than any normal convenience store manager would be. If anything, he certainly cared. “Don’t take it personal, I just happen to see that a lot.”

“Well, thanks for being the one to say that one out loud.” He quietly admitted this was the case. “But I have coworkers who are happy with their careers too, so what should I be looking for?”

“That I can’t answer.” He was still a manager at an 8-Twelve. One shouldn’t expect him to be the wisest person of all time. “All I’m saying is you should look forward to the future, worried you’ll be looking at the past with regret. What you should do is try to make your present self as happy as you can. So your future self doesn’t have to regret it later.”

“Hmm…” He let those words soak in as someone walked into the front entrance. It was none other than Tenha, who came out to search for him out of concern. “Oh, you followed me.”

“So this is the person who came into your life recently?” The manager took a good look at her. She seemed a bit younger than someone he’d think would associate with Nishiki, but also understood his own personal circumstances with his currently employee who was in the backrooms right now.

“Don’t say that like it’s something special.” It got Nishiki a bit embarrassed now that the man was aware of what she looked like. “Anyway Tenha, what are you doing here?”

“What? A girl can’t do some late night shopping?” She replied, lying about her intentions. “Guess it’s convenient we ran into each other here.”

“If you two need me.” The manager realized this was the time to leave them alone. “I’m going on break.” He headed into the break room and closed the door to give them their private time alone.

“You’ve been acting really strange today.” She dropped the act now that they weren’t being watched. “Look, I’m sorry I wasn’t much help earlier, but it’s not like I can understand everything about humans.”

“It’s fine.” He held no grudge on that matter. “I’m feeling better now anyway.” His conversation with a stranger proved to be much more effective than he would’ve ever anticipated.

“I just have to know this.” She said as they went towards roaming the store again. “Since you were asking about your future, does that mean you hate your present?” She knew from experience that sometimes those wishing to look forward so desperately are doing so because of their disdain towards their current situation. “I get I’m not the best servant in the world, but am I really that bad?”

“Honestly, I was more worried because of my work.” He responded. “When it comes to you, well… Let’s just say it’s one of the brighter spots of my current situation.” They both felt the impact of him admitting that her company wasn’t terrible for him. Perhaps due to some kind of heightened awareness about the other.

“Phew, that’s good to hear.” She breathed a sigh of relief as if his satisfaction was some kind of requirement for their contract. Thankfully it wasn’t or else they’d both have been snapped out of existence by now. “We should head home then if that’s everything.”

“Boss, I just finished taking care of everything out back.” This was when the spunky young employee popped back inside. There was nothing about her that seemed to have a mean bone in her body to him. However, upon spotting the girl, Tenha immediately went into defense mode.

“We should get out of here.” She whispered to him, forcing the pair to duck under the aisles to remain unseen. So far, the girl had not seen anyone in the store, not realizing her manager had gone into the break room.

“Hmm? Where is everyone?” She asked aloud, making her way to the counter.

“That girl is dangerous.” Tenha continued to talk, leading them towards what she considered safety.

“What?” Nishiki was dumbfounded by this reaction. There was nothing about that young girl that looked like she would even hurt a fly. “Tenha do you have an issue with… Certain people?” He asked, taking a good look at the girl.

“I don’t judge based on appearances.” She replied. He responded by looking at her in disbelief. “You can’t see it, but I can see the aura of living beings.” Most humans were not that strong for her to worry, but she could see some faint lines if she tried hard enough. Something about this girl though had a much more powerful aura surrounding her. Not only that, but it was incredibly dark.

“If you say so.” He thought she was wrong, but she was the mystical being between them. As they exited, Tenha cursed the invention of automatic doors as it opening gave away their position.

“Ah, have a wonderful rest of your night.” The girl now working at the register gave them a kind farewell.

“Ah, well, uh…” Tenha stumbled on her words as she tried to get away quickly. “You too.” Then she rushed away with Nishiki forced to follow since he held her hand.

1