Rin, The Adventurer, Part Thirteen
258 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the drake soared through the night sky, carrying them back to their camp, Jany's voice carried on the wind, filled with gratitude and concern.

"Thank you again for your help," she called over the rush of the wind, her words tinged with sincerity. "I wish you luck on your exploration, but, truly, I advise you not to linger in this forest for long."

"We'll try not to," Rin responded, her gaze fixed on the darkened landscape passing beneath them.

[This mission is kind of doomed, isn't it?] 

"Thank you, Jany," Rin called back, her voice carrying a note of gratitude. "We'll heed your advice. Stay safe out here."

With those parting words, Jany bid them farewell as they arrived at the camp. 

Quietly, with no roar or screech, the drake took to the sky again and left the area, fading into the night sky. 

Immediately, Cara and Maria ran up. 

Maria's eyes in particular followed the drake as it flew away. Rin imagined the woman had probably debated killing the creature as soon as it touched the ground before she saw them. 

"What happened?" Cara asked. "Is Lisa okay?" 

Lisa was still on Rin's back. Rin nodded, though. 

"Yeah, she just needs some rest." She then took a deep breath. "But... Look, we need to talk. This place is a lot more dangerous than we gave it credit for." 

The campfire crackled softly, casting flickering shadows across the faces of Rin, Maria, and Cara as they huddled together, their expressions serious and grave. Lisa lay nearby, still recovering from her ordeal, her breathing slow and steady. Alea and Xhez also stood close by as Maria asked:

"So, what exactly did you hear?" Maria's voice was tense, her eyes narrowing with concern.

Rin took a deep breath, gathering her thoughts before speaking.

"They told us about the shadows," she began, her voice low but steady. "They're more aggressive than we realized. It's why Cardana's been isolated for so long. They're just going to keep attacking, constantly. It's basically a miracle we haven't been attacked a second time already, but maybe Xhez's voice scared them off. They will be coming back, though," Rin declared. "Of that much, we can be certain." 

Cara's brows furrowed in worry.

"How do we deal with them? Can Xhez use her voice magic to keep them away?"

Xhez, who had been quietly listening, shook her head.

"I can, but it would drain me of my Spirit." 

"Essence," Rin added.

"Eventually," Xhez continued, "I'd need to sleep, and when that happens, we'd be vulnerable."

Maria's jaw tightened in frustration.

"So, what are we supposed to do? Just sit here and wait for those shadows to come for us?"

Cara's gaze flickered with uncertainty as she considered their options.

"We need to take this to Mr. Harlan and Mr. Thorton," she said finally. "They need to know the risks we're facing."

Immediately, Maria and Cara confronted Benjamin Harlan and Jim Thorton, their expressions determined and resolute.

Maria squared her shoulders, her eyes locked onto Benjamin Harlan with unwavering intensity.

"Mr. Harlan, with all due respect, the safety of our team should be our top priority," she began, her voice carrying a sense of urgency. She paused, allowing her words to sink in before continuing. "We can't ignore the threat posed by these shadows. If we proceed without taking proper precautions, we're risking the lives of everyone here."

Jim Thorton interjected, his voice laced with concern.

"I think Mrs. Camille may be right, Ben. We've encountered some unexpected challenges already. We need to reevaluate our strategy and ensure the safety of our team before moving forward." He glanced at Benjamin Harlan, silently urging him to consider their words.

Benjamin Harlan listened attentively, his expression thoughtful but determined.

"I understand your concerns," he conceded, his tone measured. He took a moment to collect his thoughts before responding. "But... we've invested too much time and resources into this expedition to turn back now."

Rin pressed her right palm to her face.

[You're joking.]

"The success of our mission could have far-reaching implications for our company and the region as a whole," Mr. Harlan continued. "We can't just turn back when we've come this far." 

Cara's frustration boiled over, her voice tinged with desperation.

"But what about the company's safety? The workers? Hell, your own safety! We can't guarantee that we will be able to jump in to help you during the next attack," she pleaded, her eyes pleading with Benjamin Harlan to reconsider.

Benjamin Harlan's gaze softened slightly, but his resolve remained unyielding.

"I sympathize with your concerns," he replied, his tone gentle but firm. "But we have a duty to press on. We should take whatever precautions we can to mitigate the risks, I agree with that, but we can't allow fear to dictate our actions."

Maria's frustration simmered beneath the surface as she exchanged a glance with Cara.

"... Let's see what the others think. If everyone wants to keep going, we'll keep going. But, let them make the choice." 

Harlan, surprisingly, nodded along. 

"Let's do that." 

Apologies for the oversight. Here's the extended scene:

Maria stood before the assembled group, her expression grave as she addressed them.

"Listen, everyone," she began, her voice carrying a weight of concern. "We've encountered some serious obstacles on this journey, and the dangers ahead are even greater. We can't guarantee your safety if we continue on this path. It's up to you to decide if we should continue. You saw the monsters," she stated, "you saw how they tore through us. Can we seriously keep going?" 

Harlan stepped forward, his posture composed and his voice steady.

"Maria's right," he acknowledged, his tone somber but resolute. "These creatures are relentless. But if we turn around now, we're risking even greater peril. We won't be guaranteed to make it back to Libera, and the lives that have already been lost would have been lost for nothing."

A murmur of agreement rippled through the crowd as Harlan's words sank in.

One worker, a grizzled veteran with weathered features, spoke up.

"He's got a point," he admitted, his voice tinged with regret.

"Besides," Harlan added. "This girl's voice seems to repel them," he pointed at Xhez. "We already have a working weapon against them. I believe we should press on." 

His words slowly sunk into everyone's minds. Their hearts. 

[Come on... Don't be stupid,] Rin begged in her mind. 

"We can't let our comrades' sacrifices go to waste. We owe it to them to see this through," one worker argued. 

Others nodded in silent agreement, their expressions reflecting a mix of determination and resignation.

Slowly but surely, the workers began to gather behind Harlan's words, their resolve hardening in the face of adversity.

[Shit.] Rin shook her head.

Maria sighed, her shoulders slumping in defeat.

"Fine," she conceded, her voice tinged with resignation. "If this is what everyone wants, then we'll press on."

With that, the decision was made, and the group prepared to continue their journey into the unknown, fully aware of the risks that lay ahead.

As the meeting dispersed, Maria found herself alone with Harlan, a mixture of frustration and resignation evident in her features. "

I hope you know what you're doing," she muttered, her tone tinged with skepticism.

Harlan's expression softened, his gaze meeting hers with a reassuring look.

"I understand your concerns, Maria," he replied, his voice gentle but firm. "But sometimes, we have to make difficult choices for the greater good, and this mission is that important. We'll get through this together."

Maria nodded, a sense of reluctant acceptance settling over her.

"I hope so," she murmured, her voice barely above a whisper.

With a shared nod of understanding, the two parted ways. 

Rin hoped they were ready for the challenges that lay ahead. 

9