Chapter 9: Parent
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Soon, the three were at the amusement park. Since it was the weekend, it was very crowded and parents were either carrying their little kids, or holding their hands so that they don’t separate. John noticed Grace and Evan staring at a couple happily holding their two kids’ hands and going on their way. Subconsciously, the corners of his lips pulled down.

“How about we hold hands so that we don’t separate?” he suggested. “Yes,” the two kids answered so quickly, it was as if they were waiting for that question.

Grace and Evan looked very happy, but John felt a pang in his chest. Once again, John thought of how the kids might’ve been happier had they been adopted by a kind and caring couple. He himself was single and had no plans of marrying anyone. Although he was trying his best, he knew he couldn’t act as a substitute for both parents. Heck, he couldn’t even substitute for one parent…

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the pain he felt in his hands. The two kids had pinched his hands really hard.

“Ow, what did you both do that for?”

The two kids excitedly pointed at the merry-go-round and said at the same time, “Let’s go there!” Although the two kids looked really enthusiastic now, John hadn’t missed the fleeting hard stare they’d given him before.

‘Why?’ John couldn’t figure it out. Was it because they had guessed what he was thinking?

‘No way.’

No matter how sharp the kids were, it wasn’t as if they could read his mind.

‘Maybe they were just excited. Yes, that must be it,’ he thought as he looked at the excited expression on the kids’ faces.

The three went to buy tickets. When John said, “Tickets for two,” both Grace and Evan stared at him.

“Is there something wrong?”

“You won’t ride with us?” Evan asked with puppy eyes. As a grown up, John didn’t feel like going on a childish merry-go-round, but he couldn’t bring himself to say no to those bright eyes. He clenched his teeth and said, “…One more, please.”

Both Grace and Evan smiled brightly as he said that, which made him realize once again just how easy it was to please these two kids.

‘They’re such adorable little angels.’

When they were done with the merry-go-round, they went to the roller coaster. The two kids were so excited, the beaming smiles on their faces didn’t leave during the entire ride. John, on the other hand, felt as if his legs had turned into jelly when he got off that horrifying ride. When he looked at the two kids whose eyes were practically screaming, ‘Once more,’ John felt dizzy as he imagined himself riding the roller coaster once again. He even wobbled.

“Are you alright!?” The two kids held either of his hands and asked with concern.

“I’m fine,” he answered, a little embarrassed at how he was making kids half his age worry about him like that.

“Let’s just sit somewhere and eat some snacks for now?” Evan asked. Grace gave him a look, “Are there even any snacks left?”

“Of course!”

“Unbelievable.”

Grace scoffed. Evan had eaten around ten of those by now, and he still had more. She knew how many snacks her little brother had, since she was the one who helped him pack and all, but just that couldn’t stop her from making fun of him.

Evan ignored her with a hmph, and took out a chocolate bar bigger than the ones he had eaten before. He then handed it to John and said, “For you.”

John looked at the chocolate bar in his hand, and at Evan’s sparkling eyes. He had bought snacks yesterday, and he knew it wasn’t one of the snacks he had bought. ‘Did this little kid buy these when I didn’t notice?’ Judging from Evan’s expression, John could tell it was a surprise for himself.

‘How cute.’

With the brightest smile he could muster, he said, “Thank you.”

Surprises were one thing, but,

“But you should let me know whenever you want to go out,” John said as he ruffled Evan’s hair, “Even if it’s to the convenience store just down the street.”

Evan guiltily looked to the side and said, “Okay.” John ruffled Evan’s hair once more and only stopped when Evan complained, “my hairstyle’s all ruined now,” with a pout.

Grace looked at the exchange with a smile, and took out a bag of chips. The three went over to a bench and ate snacks. Although they were quite, the moment was peaceful, and they were having a good time, until,

“Oh, if it isn’t my friend John. Long time no see,” said a gruff voice.

John frowned when he heard that voice and turned to look at the person.

“Matt.”

Grace and Evan saw that John wasn’t very pleased with the person who had shown up and looked at the newcomer warily.

Matt ignored the kids and patted John’s shoulder. “Hey, don’t you think you should smile when you meet a friend after such a long time?”

‘Who’d want to meet with you?’

John got up and said to the children, “Let’s go.”

It was now that Matt noticed the two kids who were John. He suddenly smiled and said, “Be careful, children. You two might not know this, but his parents were pretty violent. And as they say, an apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.”

John clenched his fists, and for the first time in quite a while, he wanted to punch someone this bad. He then heaved a sigh and instead of wasting his breath on that insufferable man, patted the two kids on the head and said with a smile, “He’s been convicted of fraud three times. Don’t listen to him.”

He held the two kids’ hands and asked,

“Which ride do you both want to go to next?”

““The ferris wheel.””

Grace and Evan said at the same time, which took John by surprise, because he had seen how the kids had liked thriller rides more. Was it because he’d felt dizzy after the ride on the roller coaster? Thinking about it that way made John feel warm.

A heartfelt smile reached his face as he said, 

“Sure.”

‘But the next ride would be one the kids really like.’

John had thrown Matt to the back of his mind.

0