Chapter 9 – Fortress Siege
273 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Principality of Qua-Toyne, August 11th, 1639

Fortress City of Ejei

The Fortress City of Ejei and its large stone walls stood on top of a slope of a hill as the last line of defense for Qua-Toyne against the Lourian invasion. General Nou, the General stationed in the Fortress City of Ejei was admiring the view of the fortress itself and the soldiers garrisoned within it.

"Magnificent! There's no way those Lourians are going to reach Maihark with this in their way." Nou smiled as he talked to himself.

Nou had a point, Ejei, for as long as it has been standing had been an impenetrable barrier for any invasion from the west of Qua-Toyne. He felt confident that Ejei with its stone walls, would be formidable enough to repel the Lourians.

As he continued to admire the view, a soldier approached him, "Sir!" He said as he saluted, "We have spotted the Lourian army approaching the fortress!" The soldier reported.

As rushed outside and onto the walls, he could see multiple square formations moving in the distance. He pulled out his spyglass and there he saw the massive Lourian army marching their way to the fortress. He had heard that the Lourian army was atleast 16,000 strong, a massive number for him, but he remained confident that he could repel them.

"Order the soldiers to get into their positions for a siege!" He ordered.

The soldiers defending Ejei went to prepare for the battle as each one rushed to the areas they were assigned to.

As the day went on, the Lourian army would construct an encampment on the outskirts of Ejei and multiple trebuchets for the siege.

8 Days Later

8 days had passed since the siege began. Although supply of food was still plentiful, the constant harassment from the Lourian army, had started to show its effects on his men.

General Nouka was starting to get worried as each passing day, the soldiers would get even more stressed and may get provoked enough to abandon their posts or throw them off-guard.

"Our men are getting restless, we should meet these Lourians in battle and repel them quickly!" An officer suggested

"No, that is what the Lourians want. Don't you see that if we use this fortress to repel them, then we have the ability to beat them with smaller numbers?" He said to one of his officer.

"I see.. I sincerely apologize for my behaviour, General!"

"Good, as long as you understand. Make sure these soldiers stay put. We cannot have any of them charging mindlessly towards the enemy."

"Yes, sir!" The officer went back to his post.

After a long while, one of his soldiers approached him carrying a piece of parchment, "Sir! The Lourians have sent us a message."

"Read it!" Nouka ordered.

"To the commander and the soldiers of the fortress, we shall offer you an opportunity. Surrender the fortress and we shall allow safe passage, but if you were to offer resistance, we shall not hesitate to take the fortress and burn it to the ground."

Nouka thought to himself for a moment, hesitating to give an answer. But after being reminded of what happened to Gim and its inhabitants, he would come up with an answer.

"Tell these Lourians that we shall not surrender and will fight to the last man." He ordered the soldier.

"Yes, sir!" The soldier saluted and went on his way to inform the Lourians.

After the Lourians received their answer, the trebuchets which had been constructed began firing large rocks at the castle walls, chipping away the stone bricks which it was made out of.

5 Days Later

Nouka continued his work on overseeing the defense as the rocks thrown by the Lourian trebuchet kept pounding the walls of his fortress. Although the walls were tough and still standing, sooner or later, a section may start to crumble and it would be what the Lourians wanted.

Another soldier came up to him and reported, "Sir! The Indonesian reinforcement have finally arrived and their commander wishes to see you."

Nouka smiled as he thought that it was about time they arrived, "Bring them to me."

The soldier went to fetch the Indonesian commander and once he returned, he brought back a man. The man did not look like their commander as there was nothing that showed his status on his shabby looking green clothing.

"Indonesian National Military Land Force, 1st Kostrad Infantry Division, my name is Major General Iskandar." The man reported.

"It was about time you Indonesians finally arrived, I was starting to wonder when you would show up.

As you are a fellow militaryman, I am sure you are aware that Ejei is an impenetrable fortress, but since you have made the effort to join the battle, I shall allow your forces to take up the role of support as we repel these Lourians." Nouka said, intending to not let the Indonesians humilliate him like they did to the navy in Maihark.

"We understand, but we'd like to request an observer in the fortress." Iskandar requested.

"Very well. I understand that you must report to your homeland and I shall allow it."

The other soldiers in the room whispered to themselves as the Indonesian commander left the room. They are afraid that this may result in a diplomatic incident.

Lourian Camp, West of Ejei

Having been waiting for the walls of Ejei to come crumbling down, Commander Junfila was getting impatient. With Adem getting even more impatient with the lack of progress, Junfila feared he might get sacked from his position.

"Sir!" A lourian soldier shouted as he saluted, "Our scouts have reported that the Indonesians have arrived and have established a camp near Ejei!"

This was bad for Junfila as the longer he waited, Adem would get even more impatient and the Indonesians would be able to reinforce the defenders of Ejei. He knew he had to act fast before the worst case scenario happened.

"Gather all of the soldiers and make a full on assault towards the fortress and order the trebuchets to intensify their assault!" He ordered.

"But sir, that would cost us a lot of lives and we may not have enough men to continue the campaign!"

"Time is no longer on our side, we must act quick." Junfila said, knowing that he would be betting everything in this one assault.

The order was relayed to all of the soldiers in the camp, and soon the Lourian soldiers began forming up in square formations as they marched towards the city.

Indonesian Base, North East of Ejei

The Indonesian base for the war effort was very simple. It had a hardened dirt runway and some buildings, surrounded by fences. It was a simple base built in weeks to assist in the war effort, but nevertheless, it was what the Indonesians needed to fight.

In the base, C-130J Super Hercules landed on the dirt runway and unloaded various equipment from military vehicles or building materials.

Major General Iskandar was sitting inside the base as he listened to the report regarding the Lourian army.

"It appears that the Lourians have made their move, sir. They have started to form up their battle formations and are now about the assault the city."

"Seems like they are desperate to capture it. Quickly order our men to sortie and support the Qua-Toynians!" Iskandar ordered

As the orders were relayed, pilots stationed in the base ran to the turboprop light attack aircraft stationed in the base. The pilots got into the cockpit and turned on the engine, which began rotating the propellers in front of the aircraft.

5 Embraer EMB314 Super Tucanos stationed in the base took off from the dirt runway and ascended to take part in the battle.

West of Ejei

The Lourian Army went on their assault as they quickly moved towards the walls of the fortress, intending to either climb the walls or breach the gates. Junfila felt uneasy in ordering the attack as he knew that a full blown assault would be expensive, but he had no choice but to execute this last ditch effort.

Suddenly, seemingly in a stroke of good luck, a rock thrown by a trebuchet hit a section of Ejei's wall and soon, it crumbled, taking down the archers on top of it who were releasing arrows onto his army.

"Order the army to charge at the opening!" He ordered as he pointed to the crumbled wall, intending to seize any opportunity he gets.

The Lourian soldiers began charging as they ran across the battlefield under the rain of arrows as they held their shields up to protect themselves from them.

The Lourian soldiers began pouring into the fortress as a defensive line of Qua-Toyne soldiers stood behind the crumbled wall, intending to hold the Lourians back.

"The Lourian army has breached the walls! Hold them back with all you've got!" A Qua-Toynian officer shouted.

The soldiers of both armies clashed in melee combat as the defenders on the ground held their ground while the attackers tried to break through their formation.

Men of both sides were killed as the fight within the chokepoint had made the place cramped as soldiers of both sides walked on top of the bodies of their fellow soldiers as they fought the enemy.

Junfila, who hears the familiar voice of a wyvern, looked up as their air support had finally arrived. He now believes he can turn the tides and take the fortress with the huge wyvern reinforcements that had arrived.

"Finally, it was about time they arrived. This time, victory is guara-"

As Junfila said that, the wyverns on the front began exploding and being ripped into shreds, followed by the others behind them.

"H-How did they explode?" Junfila said, shocked as he looked around in the sky.

As he looked into the skies, 5 flying objects flew above the battlefield and released a barrage of light towards the Lourian wyverns, which immediately killed them. The objects were grey and had something rotating at high speeds on the front.

The Lourian wyverns tried attacking the objects, but would end up being shot down as the flying objects released their guided light arrows that kept following its target. The flying objects were also quite agile as it dodged all of the fireballs released from the Lourian wyverns.

They completely dominated the skies, shooting down any Lourian wyverns that it came across. It was a terrifying monster of the skies that now turned its fangs towards the Lourian army below.

The flying objects dived into the ground and released their light arrows and a

"So in the end, it was futile.." Junfila said while looking down onto the ground, "If I come back alive, Adem will surely punish me."

He looked up and shouted his orders, "Order the army to surrender!"

His officers were surprised by Junfila's orders and some even tried to convince him to continue the fight. However, as they saw their soldiers ruthlessly killed from the attacks of these flying objects, they gave in and ordered the entire army to surrender.

The Qua-Toynian soldiers cheered as the Lourian army surrendered. The battle ended with a victory for Qua-Toyne as they had finally turned the tides of the war with the help of the Indonesians.

 


References:

Embraer EMB 314 Super Tucano

A Brazillian turboprop light attack aircraft designed and built by Brazillian aerospace company, Embraer. 16 units were ordered by Indonesia and delivered from 2012-2016, but one crashed in February 2016.

Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules

A four-engine turboprop transport aircraft made by Lockheed Martin. It is an improved and updated version of the C-130 Hercules. Indonesia has ordered 5 aircrafts as the time of this chapter's writing

 

7