Chapter 16 – The Sword King
316 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kingdom of Topa, November 20th, 1639

The Kingdom of Topa is one of the oldest nations in the known world. Unfortunately, despite being older than many other nations, including Parpaldia, Topa became a subject of the Parpaldian Empire a few hundred years ago.

However, despite its lowly status as a nation today, the Parpaldian has willing to provide Topa with its old technologies due to Topa's role in the world, and as a result, its strength grew overtime at a slow pace. Compared to the nations in Rodenius, Topa had an edge as it possessed various weapons that were more advanced than the ones used by the Rodenius nations which, aside from Louria, were disconnected from the Parpaldian sphere of influence.

In the northeastern part of the Kingdom, was a formidable fortress called the 'Gate of The World'. This fortress was located in the isthmus which connected the Philades continent with the Grameus continent and was built in ancient times. No one knew when it was exactly built, but sources from libraries around the world say it was built after the Alliance of The Races and the Emmisaries of the Sun God repelled the Demon Lord's invasion.

The fortress had one of the tallest walls the world has ever seen in the fortress and was complemented by its thickness, which allowed it to even survive attacks from trebuchets and cannonballs. Compared to Ejei, this fortress was far more formidable as it was improved upon by one of the previous Parpaldian Emperors and with some help from Mu.

Unlike many other nations outside the civilized area, Topa constantly had a standing army which were usually stationed in the isthmus. Unfortunately, this meant that the southern part of the kingdom was defenseless and as a result, Topa made great efforts to make sure it was not invaded by its neighbors.

Knight Moah and Mercenary Gai were both in one of the watchtowers that the fortress had. The two of them were childhood friends who took the path as fighters. While Moah managed to secure a rank as a knight, Gai couldn't and ended up as a mercenary. However, the two of them remained friends regardless of this fact.

Gai is a young and handsome looking half-elf with brown hair. One could even mistake him as the protagonist of a fantasy story due to his looks that seemed fitting for a hero. He wore a piece of leather armor on his chest alongside a white fur on both of his soldiers, while the clothes he wore under his armor was rather thick to keep himself warm with a white hood.

Moah in the other hand, wore a steel armor that had a red cape, much like the armor of the other Topan knights. Unlike Gai, he was completely an elf and had long blonde hair that went down to his shoulders. He also had a beautiful face that one could even mistake him for a woman, unlike the cool-looking Gai.

"There isn't much to see here, I never thought guarding the Gate was this boring.." Gai said as he looked into the long stretches of land outside of the fortress.

"We should atleast be vigilant, the number of monster sightings has been at a record low for 10 years. It's really suspicious." Moah said, replying to Gai's complaint.

"Yeah-yeah.." Gai replied as he rolled his eyes.

For around 30 seconds, a silence ensued as the two of them kept watching the boring green plains outside. However, Gai would then notice a bunch of tiny black dots that kept getting numerous as more appeared from around the hill.

"Moah, do you see that? Those black dots."

As Gai pointed at the black dots, Moah would look at the direction where the dots were coming from. As it kept getting closer, the two could identify the black dots as a horde of goblins numbering at an insane amount.

"Such amount of goblins... There's no way this many would gather for an attack unless there's a powerful demon who gathered them!" Moah shouted as his eyes widened in shock at the sight of the horde.

"A powerful demon... It can't be!"

Just then, 2 gigantic humanoid monsters appeared, having 2 different colors of hair. One of them had a red colored hair, while the other had a hair colored in blue. These two monsters were the legendary Red and Blue ogres who were sealed during a very long time ago alongside the demon lord.

Behind the two demons was a black colored demon who sat on top a wooden throne on top of a red land dragon, known as a Scarlet Dragon. The demon had a spiral horn and a muscular body, signifying its powerful strength. This demon's name frightened those who lived outside the civilized area and his name is Nosgorath.

"T-Thats... That's the demon lord Nosgorath!" Gai shouted with a face filled with despair.

"Quickly! Ring the bell and inform everyone of the demon lord's revival!" Moah ordered Gai.

The bell which was in the watchtower was rung and soon, every single soldiers stationed in the fortress looked out to see the demon lord's army.

Archers that were on the wall fired at the horde of monsters, while those who possessed a Parpaldiam flintlock pistol or musket fired their shots at the horde.

'BANG!'

'BANG!'

'BANG!'

The effectiveness of the Parpaldian weapons were apparent as they easily took down many of the goblins and orcs of the demon lord's army.

The Parpaldian cannons that were on the walls fired their shots as the recoil pushed the cannons back before it was pushed to its original place by the soldiers that manned the cannons.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The cannons that fired at the demon lord's army showed its effectiveness as it killed the goblins which were tightly packed, resulting in each shot killing many of them. The orcs in the other hand were more resistant to the Parpaldian cannons, though they were still easily killed by them.

"These humans has gotten stronger.." Nosgorath said as he clenched his fist, "No matter, everything is still according to plan. Overwhelm them with sheer numbers and breach the gates!"

The horde rushed towards the gate as many were taken down by the Parpaldian guns and cannons. Meanwhile, the orcs threw boulders at the wall, some of it eventually hitting some of the cannons stationed on it.

Behind Moah and Gai, a man walked up to them, wearing a piece of armor with a green cape.

"Moah! Fall back to the Fortress city of Tormis. Your knowledge will surely be of high importance." The man ordered.

"I can't leave everyone here to die! I will fight them!" Moah said, rejecting the man's orders.

"At this point, we will be annihilated. Gai, bring Moah away from this place!" He ordered with a dignified look.

The two exchanged looks before Gai nodded and forcefully grabbed Moah and brought him away.

"No, Gai! Stop! Damn you, captain!"

The two would then mount a horse and ran away from the gates as soldiers gathered behind it to hold back the demons at all cost. The captain would then shout a speech at his soldiers who are willing to defend the fortress.

"Warriors of Topa! The demon lord will soon breach this gate and overrun this fortress. However, we, the brave soldiers that defends this very fortress, shall hold them back at all cost to buy time for reinforcements!

All odds are against us, lads! But let us die with honor of glory for the people of Topa and the world!"

The captain's speech all made the soldiers rise up and cheered. Their morale was now high and they were ready to take on the demons even if it meant losing in the end.

After the loud shouts of the soldiers ended, a loud sound was heard from the gates as the ogres smashed their weapon at it. The formidable gate held for a while until it burst open, letting the monster horde pour inside.

'BANG!'

'BANG!'

'BANG!'

The Topan soldiers fired their muskets at the monsters, killing many that poured into the area on the other side of the gate. The horde would clash with the Topan defenders, however, with the weapons from Parpaldia, they were able to take down many before the sheer size of the horde overwhelmed them.

The sheer power of the two ogres also made a significant contribution to overwhelm the Topan defense as no soldier could land a hit or even take it down with even the Parpaldian weapons.

After a while, all of the Topan soldiers perished as they took down many monsters as they could. It was a shocking result for Nosgorath himself as he never thought the humans could get this powerful.

"It seems that we need to halt our campaign for a while.. I never thought these humans could become this strong." Nosgorath muttered

The battle ended as the Demon Lord's army breached the 'Gate of The World' and captured it, leaving the Philades continent open for the them to attack.

Kingdom of Fenn, November 22nd, 1639

Amanoki

In the capital city of the Fennese Kingdom a large castle stood out. The castle was built on top of a mound that made it look taller from the outside. A white stone wall stood around the castle compound, while the castle building is seen taller than the walls itself and both the castle building had a hip and gable roof style that decorated the castle.

Within the castle was the ruler of the Fennese Kingdom, Sword King Shihan, looking at the town from the balcony of the castle. The mound which the castle stood on gave anyone within it a great view of the capital city.

Behind Sword King Shihan were his aides, who worked for the Sword King.

"My king, I have brought important news!"

"What news have you brought today?" Sword King Shihan replied calmly.

"It seems that representatives from a nation called the Republic of Indonesia have come. How should we deal with them?"

"Ohoh.. So the rumored Indonesians have come. I've heard quite a bit from them, and they're very intriguing indeed. I'd like to meet these representatives."

---

The two Indonesian representatives were in a room within the castle compound. The room was floored by tatami mats while on the walls were many sliding doors and moveable screens that were made with materials that allows light to pass through. The room itself looked like one of those traditional Japanese rooms one would see or imagine.

The two Indonesian representatives wore a black suit with a red tie and sat down on the tatami mats which were laid on the floor. Their heads turned in various directions as they looked and admired at the various Japanese-looking items that were inside the room.

"After coming here, it really looks like this country is a reflection of ancient Japan, huh?"

"You mean like when they were a shogunate or some period before that? It does really."

"It's weird to see something similar to our world exists in another world disconnected from ours."

Just then, one of the doors slid open to reveal an old man with a grey hair tied into a pony tail and pointed goatee, wearing a red-yellow yukata. The man had slanted eyes, a face which had wrinkles, and a look full of wisdom as he walked into the room with a calm pace.

The man would sit in front of the Indonesian representatives with a calm but wise look.

"I have made you Indonesians wait long enough. I am Sword King Shihan and I welcome you to the Kingdom of Fenn." The man introduced himself.

"We are representatives from the Republic of Indonesia. It's a pleasure to have met with you."

"I've heard of rumors of your country in the Rodenius continent which had caught my interest."

"Oh thank you, then we can skip over the introduction of our country and proceed with trade talks?"

"Trade would certainly be favourable, however I would like to inform you of some important news. I believe you have already established diplomatic relations with Parpaldia, yes?"

"That would be correct, but what about it?"

"Our country may soon be in a state of war with them, and as you can see, we will likely lose."

"That means diplomatic talks cannot continue, I guess we're probably too late then.."

"However, I am still interested in your country's military prowess. Therefore, I'd like to invite your country to attend an upcoming military festival assuming they do not invade by then."

"That's tough.. I will let the Indonesian government know. Though it is impossible to convince them to join your war."

"That is fine, I will be waiting for news from your government and I apologize for the sudden information."

Parpaldian Empire, November 23rd, 1639

Eshtirant

In Kaios' office in the 3rd Foreign Affairs Office building of the Parpaldian Empire, Kaios is eating his lunch on a plate filled with the local dishes of the Empire beside a beautiful glass filled with clean and purified water. The food Kaios was eating is relatively modest compared to the food that Emperor Ludius often eats as it consisted of food such as potatoes, eggs, vegetables, and a small portion of meat. A meal that consisted of meat would be considered a luxury for your average Parpaldian commoner as it was considered as a luxury only reserved for the rich.

From the expression that was seen on Kaios' face, it seemed that his lunch was rather delicious as he savoured each bite of it. Unfortunately for him, his long awaited lunch was interrupted by Raita.

Raita is a female receptionist of the 3rd Foreign Affairs Office who works under Kaios. Raita had a blonde hair that was tied to a bun, a hairstyle common for the rich in Parpaldia, and a beautiful blue eyes that made her quite the beauty.

As she knocked and opened the door to Kaios' office, she would then state her reason for interrupting, "Sorry to interrupt your meal, Sir Kaios, but the Ambassador of Topa would like to speak with you."

Kaios put down his metal spoon and fork on his plate as he replied to Raita, "Oh, the Ambassador of Topa? Let him in."

After that, Raita gently closed the wooden doors of Kaios' office as she left the office to fetch the Topan Ambassador.

After a while, another knock was heard from the door and as it opened, it revealed a man with a fancy and curvy blonde hair who looked distressed.

He walked with a somewhat fast pace as he approached the chair in the opposite side of Kaios' desk. As the ambassador sat down, he would talk in a manner fitting on a distressed man.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, Sir Kaios. I have some really urgent matter to talk to you."

"Speak without restraint, what do you need, ambassador of Topa? I have quite a tight schedule today."

"Well, it's about the demon lord. I've come to notify you that he has just been revived. His army has already breached the 'Gate' of the world."

"Demon lord? You mean the synthesized beast from ancient times?"

"Yes.. my Kingdom wants to request aid from the Parpaldian Empire to push back the demon lord. We believe that with your help, we can push the demon lord back."

"I assume you want an immediate answer, so I'll say it clearly. It's impossible," Kaios answered as he shook his head.

The Topan Ambassador's expression went from distressed to panic as he heard Kaios' answer, "But Sir Kaios, if Topa falls under the hands of the demon lord, then the Philades continent will-"

"I'm sorry, but the empire cannot spare anymore resources to aid your kingdom. There will be time to deal with it, but we are currently stretched thin and have our hands tied on another matter."

"May I know what this matter is?"

"I won't indulge in the details, but it's regarding a nation which had offended us many times and we are sending an oversight army to deal with them, while the other one is a country that the emperor is very much interested in investigating," Kaios said as he took a sip from the glass of water on his desk.

"I see.." The Topa ambassador looked down in disappointment after hearing Kaios' answer.

"You may use the carriage in front to leave the premises."

The Topan ambassador stood up and left the room with a sad face. For his nation, acquiring the help of the Parpaldian Empire was of extreme importance as it was the nearest major power and the other powers on the 1st and 2nd Civilization was unlikely to lend a hand.

As he left the 3rd Foreign Affairs Office, he climbed in the carriage that Kaios' mentioned and headed straight towards the Topan Embassy within the city of Eshtirant.

Republic of Indonesia, November 25th, 1639

Jakarta

The Merdeka Palace, the place of residence for President Hendra was peaceful as ever. Guards were patrolling the palace as usual while President Hendra was in his office after a trip to Biak, Papua to inspect the spaceport's construction.

The spaceport is ahead of schedule and is around 90% finished. This result had delighted President Hendra as he sat down on the chair of his desk to listen to another report.

"Mr. President, we have successfully established diplomatic contact with the Kingdom of Fenn and the neighboring Theocracy of Gahara."

"How did it all go?"

"The talks with Gahara went smoothly just like the ones with Riem, Mao, and Topa. We have also established trade with them."

"And for Fenn?"

The aide cleared his throat, "Ahem... Our talks with Fenn was met with a complicated problem. It seems that the Parpaldian Empire had just declared war on them and will soon attack, however their king, Sword King Shihan, requested for us to show our military prowess in an upcoming military festival which would be attended by other nations."

"That's going to be tough..." Hendra said as he put his hands on his chin to think of a response, "Has the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Defense been informed of this?"

"Yes, sir. Their response were all clear rejection on sending a military asset to a warzone we're uninvolved in."

"Why can't we help Fenn? It seems that they're in a lot of trouble."

"Unfortunately, it's going to be hard to convince the House of Representatives to approve an intervention or even a defense treaty, especially on a nation that we don't have a reason to protect."

"That means they're completely alone. That's really unfortunate."

As the report ended a few minutes later, President Hendra would try to think of a way to support Fenn. For him, he couldn't allow an expansionist empire do whatever it wants near Indonesia as it would result in a bigger national threat for the nation.

9