Chapter 18 – Festival Battle
207 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kingdom of Fenn, December 3rd, 1639

Amanoki

It was the day of the Military Festival and many nations outside the Civilized Areas had attended. These nations had brought their own warships to the event, both big and small, in an effort to demonstrate each of their military might and keep each country in check.

While the nations within the Civilized Areas were invited, they usually never attended. This was because they were either busy or thought such event was a waste of time. For today's festival, none of the civilized countries came to attend.

The ships that were brought by the attendees were docked near the port of Amanoki, and they were quite diverse in shape and sizes. They were all wooden sailboats, some with cannons and some without.

As the attendees showed their military might in the form of various demonstrations and shows, much to the awe of the spectating citizens and officials, a few Gaharan wind dragons were flying overhead as a sign of goodwill for their neighbor.

Sword King Shihan is currently in an Observation Pavillion alongside his aides near the port of the city. They were observing the various demonstrations of the attending nations.

At this moment, Topa was putting on a show near the harbor as their fleets of Brigantines and Barques fired their cannons. Topa is not known to have a powerful navy, but it was certainly more powerful than the countries that were stuck with bows and arrows. This demonstration had nonetheless captured the awe of the spectators, including Shihan's aides.

Shihan sighed as he looked slightly disappointed, to which an aide notices and asked, "Is the festival not to your liking, my king?"

Shihan noticed the aide's question answered, "Nay, I'm just slightly disappointed that Indonesia refused to attend."

As the show continued, a sudden sound of fireworks exploding occured. It had surprised the attendees, however, the Fennese officials had expected this and remained calm.

"So they have begun their attack..." Shihan said.

For Fenn, they judged that Parpaldia would likely attack during the Military Festival to punish Fenn and show their military might to the other countries. And as a result, they had prepared for such an occassion with various countermeasures.

This firework show was one of these countermeasures and it happened as Parpaldian wyverns entered Fennese airspace.

------

Meanwhile, a few minutes before the firework show somewhere East of Amanoki, Parpaldian wyverns were en route to the Fennese capital to disrupt their festival. This flight had 10 wyvern lords alongside their knights and they were launched from the Wyvern Carriers of the Parpaldian Oversight Army that was not too far from shore.

The leading wyvern knight, one which is ranked as a Captain, moved one of his hand from the reins and grabbed a manacomm which was on his waist.

"This is Captain Enno reporting, we are bound to reach Amanoki soon."

A sound came out from the manacomm as it received Enno's report, "Good. Continue on your path and you should see the designated targets."

"Affirmative."

The captain ended his report as he put back the manacomm and ordered the other wyvern knights to prepare to attack. Unfortunately for this flight, as their eyes spotted the outskirts of the city of Amanoki, a sound of explosions occured nearby.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

Enno looked around to see tons of fireworks exploding in the air, near their flight. Instinctively, he ordered his fellow knights to spread out, knowing the dangers of such a device.

"All knights, spread out!" He ordered with a quick arm gesture.

As the knights spreaded out, arrows from Fennese hwachas, positioned in various towers came straight at them.

'WOOOSH!'

'WOOOSH!'

'WOOOSH!'

"Arrows coming straight at us!" A wyvern knight pointed out.

The hwachas fired large quantities of arrows within a short period of time, resulting in a barrage of arrows which the wyvern knights had to endure. They were not very accurate, but the amount of arrows it fired was still dangerous.

As the wyverns tried to evade the fireworks and the hwacha barrage, the arrows bounced off the scales of the wyvern lords as it failed to penetrate it, however some arrows hit the openings of the Parpaldian wyvern knight armor. This luck had caused some injuries for the Parpaldian flight as some were hit by the arrows, while others dodged or had their armor bounce the incoming arrows.

This had caused confusion and panic within them as they struggled to react from the barrage of arrows and fireworks. Furthermore, the loud explosions of the fireworks had led to a considerable amount of panic and paranoia alongside some hearing losses.

Suddenly, as if the devil was on the Fennese side and gave them a miraculous luck, a firework exploded next to Enno. Fortunately, much of the damage from the fireworks was avoided due to the armor he wore, though he still experienced burns in the exposed areas of his armor.

"All knights, retreat!" Enno ordered as he realized the danger of remaining in the area.

Most of the wyvern knights all followed Enno's orders as they were affected psychologically through the use of fireworks and hwachas. Even the wyvern lords, which stood above the normal wyverns in strength was affected.

Some of the knights that had gotten some form of hearing loss retreated as they noticed their comrades pulling back and returning to the fleet. As expected, no wyverns were downed, but the effects of the Fennese anti air had scarred the wyverns and their knights.

This was a surprising victory for the Kingdom of Fenn as they successfully repelled the Parpaldian attack from the air and prevented them from gaining air superiority. This was also a lesson for the tiny island nation as they now have learned to put aside honor in favor of their nation's survival.

As Sword King Shihan learned of the victory, he would seem delighted at how the plan had worked. It seems that they might not need the help of Indonesia after all.

Western Sea of the Kingdom of Fenn

In the sea somewhere west of Fenn, 10 Parpaldian warships of the Oversight Fleet sailed towards the island nation. The fleet consisted of 2 First Rates, 3 3rd Rates Ship of The Lines, 3 Frigates, and 2 Wyvern Carriers. It was a rather small fleet, but given the small size of Fenn and its relatively small national power, the Parpaldian Empire had deemed such a fleet to be adequate enough to deal with Fenn's inferior ships.

As the wind continued to blow, the sight of 10 wyvern lords, seemingly battered, had entered the sight of the fleet.

As the wyverns landed on their respective carriers, they were questioned on their decision to retreat. However, all of the knights seemed to claim that the Fennese had used fireworks, much to the confusion of the Parpaldians.

In the flagship of the Parpaldian Oversight Fleet, the 100-gun First Rate Ship of The Line, Washinashi, the captain of the ship was listening to the report of the wyvern dispatch.

"Captain! Something seems to be wrong! The wyverns we have sent have all returned seemingly battered and Captain Enno has suffered burns on various parts of his body!"

"Impossible! No way for these barbarians to be capable of repelling our wyvern lords. Besides, we have not lost a single one."

As the captain voiced his disbelief, a sound of footsteps was heard. An eldery man with a fine and gentle face with a short mustache approached them.

"Admiral Poquetoire!" The captain said with a delighted voice.

"The fact that our wyverns came back battered is still quite concerning. This means we're unable to acquire any form of air support for a while."

"Then how should we proceed with the plan?" The captain asked.

"Hmm..." Poquetoire thought for a moment, "We have orders to send a punitive strike, so as much as I would like to delay it, we'll need to proceed with what's left."

"I see... I believe it won't matter too much as Fenn does not possess any wyverns."

As the two thought on how to proceed, a shout was heard from above. It had came from a crewman from the crow's nest of the Washinashi.

"Ships ahoy! They're confirmed to be from the Fennese Navy!"

As the captain heard the report, he instinctively shouted his orders.

"All hands on battle stations! Prepare all guns for broadside action!"

As the fleet sailed forth, silhouettes of 3 Fennese ships appeared from the horizon. The Fennese ships were much smaller than the Parpaldian Ship of The Lines, however the Parpaldians knew they were still capable of damaging the Parpaldian ships. The spotted Fennese ships consisted of small sloops which are quite fast but are no match for the Parpaldian ships.

"Heh, they're sending such a pathetic fleet? How stupid of them." The captain said with a cocky face.

However, instead of sailing towards the Parpaldian fleets, the Fennese ships turned back and ran away.

"How cowardly.. Lets chase them down!"

However, Admiral Poquetoire seemed to have a face that disapproved of such an action.

"I believe we shouldn't give chase as we may be lured to a trap." He said calmly.

"But sir, isn't this a perfect opportunity to sink 3 of their ships and a good chunk of their naval power?"

Admiral Poquetoire seemed to hesitate for a moment however he would soon come to a decision, "Alright, I'll trust your word. However I believe we still need to be careful."

"Hmph, I doubt they'll have anything to defeat us anyways."

The Parpaldian fleets would then activate their Tears of the Wind God as they began their chase of the Fennese ships. Unbeknownst to them, they had fallen right into their trap.

As the Parpaldian ships chased the Fennese sloops, the gap between the two would slowly close. It seemed to be inevitable that the Parpaldian ships would eventually catch up, however they would soon reach the shores of the Fennese island.

"Ships ahoy! They have the Fennese flag!"

As the captain took a spyglass from his pockets, extending it before using it, he would see 3 Fennese frigates alongside 2 Junks. For Parpaldia, these ships were outdated and especially undergunned against the Parpaldian Ship of The Lines, but they were the most advanced ship that Fenn could construct and were still capable punching holes through the wooden hulls of the Parpaldian ships.

As the Fennese ships began their move, approaching the Parpaldian fleet, the Parpaldian fleet also made their move.

"Order the fleet to turn hard to starboard and prepare to fire!"

The Parpaldian fleet all turned to the right, preparing to shower the Fennese ships with cannonballs as they crossed the T.

As the Fennese ships entered their cannon's range, the Parpaldian fleet fired upon the Fennese ships.

"All ships! Open fire!"

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

Huge clouds of smoke appeared from the sides of the Parpaldian lines as each ship fired all of their cannons at the Fennese ships.

Many of the cannonballs simply missed as they either flew too short to past their targets and creating a splash as it landed into the ocean water. However, those that did hit would punch straight through the Fennese hulls and killing the sailors which had stood on the other side through the impact of the cannonballs or the fragments of wood that flew towards them. While all of the shots that hit only landed above the waterline, it was still damage that contributed to the battle.

Everything seemed well for the Parpaldian fleet until a crew in the crow's nest reported to the sailors below once again, "Fennese ships on our bow and stern!"

Many crewmens looked at the direction which was reported. As they looked, 5 Fennese ships appeared on each side and flanked them from the side of the Fennese island. This had put the total number of Fennese ships to 18 and each flank had a Junk that was followed by many smaller ships.

This was a miscalculation on the Parpaldian side as they expected light resistance from the Fennese fleet but were met by the crane's wings of the Fennese Navy.

The captain suddenly realized the urgency of his situation as he clenched his hands, "We've fallen into the enemy's trap all along.."

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The Fennese flanks fired their cannons at the Parpaldian Oversight Fleet. Huge clouds of smoke appeared once again, but this time in the side of the Fennese ships. However, the Parpaldians continued firing their cannons intending to win the battle at any cost.

As the battle raged on, the reports of ships sinking would appear as the ships of both side were starting to take a considerable amount of damage from the battle.

"Ship of The Line Paios has been sunk!"

"Frigate Lousia has been sunk!"

This was reported in the Parpaldian side. For the Fennese side, similar reports were made as Fennese ships also sank.

"Frigate Haruna has been sunk!"

"Schooner Nagara has been sunk!"

As the battle went on, the number of ships continued to pile up. However, as the Parpaldian ships were encircled and the Fennese side outnumbering the Parpaldian fleet, the battle would turn into the favour of the Fennese defenders.

Admiral Poquetoire had also noticed the urgency long ago, but he had hoped that the Parpaldian fleet would somehow prevail. However, it would seem like thats not going to be the case.

"Order all ships to break through the encirclement!" He ordered.

The Tears of the Wind God was soon activated again as the air pressure changed and the direction of the wind current would now favor the Parpaldians.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The Fennese ships all fired again at the Parpaldian ships as they attempted to break through the encirclement however the Parpaldian fleet fired back, intending to break through it at all costs.

Unfortunately for Fenn, the Parpaldian ships would eventually break through the encirclement. But before they escaped the encirclement, a Fennese Junk stood in the way of the Washinashi.

"That Fennese ship is blocking our path. Ram it down!"

The huge hull of the Washinashi collided with the smaller hull of the Fennese Junk as it rammed into its side. Due to the sheer size weight of the Washinashi, the Fennese Junk would be pushed away by the wooden behemoth and as it was moved to the Washinashi's side, a loud shout was heard.

"FIRE!" The Washinashi captain ordered.

In that moment, huge clouds of smoke appeared on the starboard side of the Washinashi as it fired its cannons at the Fennese junk, seemingly engulfing it in smoke.

'BOOOM!!!'

As if it was a miracle from the heavens, the Fennese junk exploded in a spectacular fashion and split in two as it sank as the Washinashi scored a hit at the Junk's gunpowder barrel.

In the Fennese flagship, Kenjin, Commander Kushira saw a huge explosion in one of his ships as the Parpaldians sailed away from the Kingdom of Fenn.

An officer ran up to him and made a report, identifying the ship that had just exploded, "Junk Kazan has been sunk!"

Although the Kazan was not a special ship to the Kingdom of Fenn, it was still a loss of one of the more powerful ship Fenn possessed. It also exploded seemingly like a volcano, fitting for its name.

"Order all ships to not give chase! We won't be catching up to them with their Tears of the Wind God activated." Kushira ordered.

The battle ended in a costly victory for the Kingdom of Fenn as they lost 8 ships compared to the 4 ships of the Parpaldian fleet. However, this was still a surprising victory for the small kingdom as they successfully repelled the Parpaldian Oversight Fleet.

6