Chapter 22 – Altaras Naval Clash 1
185 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kingdom of Altaras, December 15th, 1639

Le Brias

In the capital of the Altaran Kingdom, King Taaras opened the door to his daughter's room and saw her packing up her belongings in a large brown bag.

"Is everything ready, Lumiess?" The king asked his daughter.

Lumiess, who is her daughter, is a 20 year old young woman who had a black hair and brown eyes. She looked to be in a hurry until her father came in her room.

"Yes.. I still don't feel like it's right for me to escape from my country."

"Even so, you must do it. As your father, I cannot allow you to fall under Parpaldia's hands. So please, trust me and seek refuge in Indonesia."

"But why Indonesia? And are you sure I won't get caught?"

"Don't worry, I've already made sure the ship is disguised as a merchant ship and I have also notified the Indonesians. They're very good people."

"Okay... Will you come as well, father?"

Taaras shook his head, "As a king, I must lead this nation up to its fall. Honestly, I wanted to come as well but I would be abandoning my duty as a ruler."

Lumiess looked down, dejected as she heard her father's response, "I-I see.. Then can you promise that you'll stay alive?"

Taaras simply shook his head, seemingly certain that he might not live for long. For both of them, this was a reality that neither of them could deny but they simply had no choice. Altaras' only hope lied on its navy as its army would undeniably be incapable of holding back the Parpaldians.

Later that day, Lumiess boarded a ship and left to the capital as Taaras watched her from the pier. For a parent, it was hard for him to let a child go, but he knew it was for the best.

The Ocean, North of Altaras, December 19th, 1639

Above the endless sight of ocean water, a sunny weather filled the area which would soon to be the graves of many sailors. The ocean itself was calm and seagulls flew above, navigating to various places it wanted to fly to. However, not too far from the coast of the Altaran Kingdom, a large fleet of atleast 28 warships stood anchored waiting for something.

Admiral Bordo stood on the decks of the 100 gun Ship of The Line, Beshial, the flagship of this Altaran fleet. In front of him is a communications officer who came up to him for a report.

"Admiral, our scouts have spotted the Parpaldian fleet at our north. They number at around 30 ships consisting of mostly Ship of The Lines, magic ships, and some ironclads."

"Damn those Parpaldians... They're bringing their most advanced warships. The ship of the lines and magic ships are not a problem, but do we have anything to take down these ironclads?"

"If I remember correctly, we have some Indonesian weapons at our posession. I believe it was one of those recoilless rifles."

Bordo smirked as he heard of the Indonesian's weapon's capabilities, "That will be our trump card and we must make sure each shot counts. Anyways, have the fleet set sail to intercept them!"

The sails of every ship in the Altaran fleet were lowered and their anchors were raised as they made their move. Unfortunately, Altaras did not have any wyvern carriers available at this moment, so their flexibility would certainly be limited.

As time goes on, silhouettes of at least 30 Parpaldian ships appeared from the horizon and above them were Parpaldian wyvern lords which took off from the few Parpaldian carriers present. Both fleets were approaching each other in a line formation to reduce the chances of friendly fire and to maximize damage, however the Parpaldian line turned to starboard to cross the T of the Altaran fleet

"Are our wyverns here yet?" Bordo asked his communications officer.

"I believe they should be here soon enough."

Just as the officer answered Bordo's question, roars of friendly wyverns would be heard as they flew past the Altaran fleet and approached the Parpaldian wyverns.

"Alright.. Order Vice-Admiral Thomas to break through the Parpaldian rear line while we take care of their center line! We must make sure our wyvern's sacrifice is not in vain."

Bordo's plan was to deviate from the usual line battle and instead cut the Parpaldians into 3 and bring the fight to a close range battle. He knew that his fleet would be fired upon as it approached the enemy lines unable to fire back, however Bordo gambled that the Parpaldians were ill-trained and their gunnery would be poor as a result. If he was indeed correct, then his fleet would eventually cut the Parpaldian line and throw them all into chaos as his fleet of highly trained and disciplined men would wreak havoc into their lines.

And to further improve the odds into Altaras' favour, their ships possessed some new 68-pounder carronades which is capable of devastating the hulls of enemy ships at close range.

The Altaran Tears of the Wind god was activated and their fleet consisting of ships in 2 line formations would approach the Parpaldian lines at maximum speed.

As the two fleets waited for the other side to come to their cannon's range, the wyverns above clashed in aerial dogfight, making sure the other side does not wreak havoc on their fleet.

------

The Altaran wyvern knights flew with dignity, pride, and a high morale. They were enraged at the outrageous demands of the Parpaldian Empire that demanded the hand-over of Princess Lumiess. She is a popular figure for the citizens of the nation and having a hegemonic country demand for her to become their slave had greatly angered them.

And to further add salt to the wound, Parpaldia's declaration of war meant that Altaras' independence is at stake and if they lost, they'll become one of the many territories of the empire. As a result, every Altarans in this battle knew that their navy is their last hope and morale was high as they fought to protect their beloved nation and its independence against the hegemonic Parpaldia.

Captain Zaram is one of the many that were enraged and is also the one leading this aerial attack. He knew that Altaras stood no chance in the air, but he had to do it to have the Parpaldians pay.

"I see them!" A wyvern knight shouted as he pointed north east.

"Good! Proceed with the plan and form up a formation."

The Altaran wyverns formed up into a formation of two to three wyverns of different altitudes. Meanwhile, the Parpaldian wyverns lords which had now spotted the formation of Altaran wyverns all turned to face them in an aerial dogfight.

"We shall fight with honor and glory! For the Kingdom of Altaras!" Zammas shouted.

"HURRAH!" The other wyvern knights responsed with a battlecry.

As the wyverns of both sides approached each other, they would open their mouths and prepare to launch a fireball. As they got even closer, the wyverns launched the fireballs from their mouths towards the incoming enemy wyverns.

"They're shooting their fireballs!"

"Quick! Dodge immediately!"

The wyverns of both sides all turned to dodge the fireballs of each side. Due to the relatively slow speed of those fireballs and the range between each side, none of them would hit and eventually fell into the sea.

As every wyverns dodged the fireballs, they immediately formed back to their formations. The Parpaldians did the same and formed back up in a V shape formation but soon broke up to engage the small Altaran wyverns.

"Here they come!"

One of the Parpaldian wyverns approached Zammas' formations and dived to attack his wingman.

"Alright! He took the bait!"

Zammas immediately got his wyverns to a dive as the Parpaldian wyvern overlord chased his wingman who began trying to evade him.

With the higher altitude difference and the steep attack angle, Zammas' wyvern eventually caught up with the Parpaldian wyvern lord and began charging his fireball.

"Alright... Fire at that wyvern lord!"

His wyvern would soon fire a smaller but faster fireball which the Parpaldian wyvern knight then responded with an attempt to dodge. However, due to his late reaction speed, the fireball would hit him.

"AAAHHHH! I'M ON FIRE!"

The Parpaldian wyvern knight panicked as the fireball easily penetrated his armor and began burning his skin. He moved frantically to try and get the fire off of him to no avail. He would be burnt as his wyvern also felt the fire and fell into the sea.

"Alright.." Zammas grabbed a manacomm from his bag and talked to his wingman, "Form back up and began supporting our knights."

His wingman climbed back up to his original altitude as Zammas did the same. They looked around to see the condition of the battlefield. It was not going well for their wyvern squadron.

While their tactic had certainly proven itself, there were still many cases where the Parpaldian wyvern lords simply outmaneuvered the Altaran wyverns. He looked around the chaotic sky for a target, but out of nowhere, a Parpaldian wyvern lord moved beside him while dodging the fireball of another Altaran squadron.

The two exchanged looks for a brief moment before Zammas grabbed the Indonesian pistol on his waist and aimed it at the Parpaldian wyvern knight. The Parpaldian noticed this and tried to break out but it was too late.

'BANG!'

At the moment Zammas aimed his pistol at him, he pulled the trigger. The bullet flew from the gun and quickly into the Parpaldian wyvern knight. It would hit him in the torso and he soon fell from the back of his wyvern and into the sea below. His wyvern lord on the other hand now lacked any rider and it flew away from the battlefield.

Zammas sighed in relief, "That was certainly an odd encounter..."

He would squint his eyes as he looked right in front of him where a single Altaran wyvern was struggling to fight against a Parpaldian wyvern lord. He once again said his orders to his wingman using the manacomm.

"Alright, engage that Parpaldian wyvern in front of us."

A sound responded from his manacomm coming from his wingman who flew with him, "Affirmative."

Zammas and his wingman flew through the chaos of battle and engaged the mentioned wyvern lord to aid one of his fellow knights.

------

Meanwhile in the battlefield below, the Altaran fleet came into the range of the Parpaldian cannons and they would be fired upon mercilessly.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The Parpaldian left line fired their portside cannons at the Altaran ships, which some would find their mark. These cannonballs would punch through the wooden hulls of the Altaran ships, creating holes and injuring anyone near it.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The Parpaldian ships continued to fire mercilessly at the Altarans, intending to decisively defeat them in this battle. Meanwhile, barrage of bullets came up to the air as both fleets sailed below the aerial battle which was still ongoing.

"BRRRRRRT!"

"BRRRRRRT!"

Altaran and Parpaldian wyverns were taken down by the anti-air barrage from both fleets. The wyverns of both sides started to dodge via evasive maneuvers as they focused on taking down the enemy wyverns.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

"We're about to reach their formation!" A crewman shouted as he ducked down due to the barrage of Parpaldian cannons.

Both fleets would soon come to close to each other that an Altaran sailor would see the figure of the enemy sailors on the decks of their ship. 

7