Chapter 23 – Altaras Naval Clash 2
189 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Ocean, North of Altaras, December 19th, 1639

Both fleets would soon come to close to each other that an Altaran sailor would see the figure of the enemy sailors on the decks of their ship.

"Full speed ahead! We shall break through the rear line!" Vice Admiral Thomas shouted at his men on the 100 gun Ship of The Line, Risial.

The Risial followed by Thomas' column of ships broke through the rear line of the Parpaldian formation. It would pass through the gap between the two Parpaldian ships near it.

"BROADSIDE CANNONS, FIRE!"

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The cannons of the Risial were fired in ripples on the bow and stern of the Parpaldian ships next to it as it passed through the gap. On the hulls of those two Parpaldian ships, holes were punched through as the Altarans landed their first full broadside at the enemy.

The windows on the cabin of the Parpaldian Ship of The Line on its left shattered as cannonballs went straight through it and injuring any Parpaldian nearby.

"They're turning to fire at us!" A crewman reported as 4 of the Parpaldian ships of that line turned to engage the Risial.

"Fire at them while they are still turning!" Thomas ordered.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The Risial fired upon the ships which were turning their broadsides to Thomas' flagship which would hit the Parpaldian ships again. However, as smoked cleared, the Parpaldian ships fired back.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

Parpaldian cannonballs hit the Risial, damaging its hulls which injured and killed many more sailors.

"We're being engaged by 4 enemy ships!"

The Risial was being pounded by the many cannons of the 4 Parpaldian Ship of The Lines, clearly outnumbering and outgunning the sole Altaran ship.

However, the Altaran Ship of The Line, Cidy, came to reinforce the Risial as it sailed on the right side of it to cover it from attacks coming from that side.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The Cidy fired at the two Parpaldian ships on its right, damaging those ships as a large cloud of smoke appeared from its volley.

The other ships of Thomas' column came in to support the Risial and Cidy's efforts. They sailed between the ships near the Parpaldian rear line and fired upon them with their cannons.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

Admiral Bordo looked at Thomas' fight through a spyglass and broke to a smile as he felt a spark of morale and motivation. His column has not yet broke through the Parpaldian lines.

"Look at how that noble fellow Thomas carries his ship and his fleet into action! We shall do the same and repel these Parpaldian invaders!"

Bordo's column sped towards the Parpaldian lines and soon, his ship would soon breach their line. The Risial would similarly sail through a gap between the Parpaldian ships, separating the Parpaldian line into 3 as his ship fired at the ships on both of his side.

"FIRE!"

'BOOM!'

The Beshial fired a volley at the two Parpaldian ships as they tried to turn to fire back at Bordo's ship. However, the Beshial would keep pounding at the Parpaldian ships with its cannons as they were unable to respond.

However, as the Parpaldian ships finally aimed their guns at the Beshial, both ships would fire as one approached the sides of the Beshial.

"It's gonna collide!" A crewman frantically reported

'CRASH!'

The Parpaldian ship rammed the Beshial and stopped by its side as ropes were released from it to pull both ships towards each other.

"They're intending to board us!"

As the sides of both ships finally touched, planks of wood were put between the gap as the crew of the smaller Parpaldian ship named the Undoubtable boarded the Beshial.

Close quarters combat would erupt as the crew of the Undoubtable boarded the Beshial and fought with the crews of the Beshial.

"Admiral! You must stay away from the battle and evacuate to the cabin!" An officer said as he ran up to Bordo.

"Nay, I shall fight with my men to the very end!" He said as he pulled out his sabre and pistol.

"But sir!"

The officer tried to get Bordo back and into the safety of the cabin, but he was too late as Bordo ran into the battle in front of him. He had no choice but to follow Bordo and protect him from any enemy attack.

Sounds of gunfire and swords hitting each other engulfed the chaotic battle. The crew that manned the guns of the Beshial below kept firing its cannons at the Parpaldian ships.

Soon, as the Beshial was pounded by the many Parpaldian cannonballs, Ship of The Line Osia and Pacella came to support them.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The Pacella sailed into the left side of the Undoubtable and fired its cannons at it, sandwiching the Parpaldian ship. Meanwhile, the Osia engaged with the Parpaldian ship on Beshial's left side.

Soon, other ships nearby turned to engage the Altaran ships, including the biggest ship of the line in the 3rd Civilization Area and the world, the Pall, a 120 gun Ship of The Line. However, as Bordo's column joined the fight, the Pall would be engaged by 4 ships while the other Parpaldian ships were busy focusing on engaging the other Altaran ships.

Meanwhile, the fight on the decks of the Beshial was winding down as the Undoubtable was receiving a considerable amount of damage from the ships on both of its side. A volley from the Pacella hit one of the Undoubtable's mast and it would fall down and into the deep blue ocean as its crew were now in deep trouble.

The Pacella approached the Undoubtable and boarded it, which finished off the Parpaldian ship as it soon surrendered.

Admiral Bordo miraculously survived the battle, having killed a number of Parpaldian sailor. As he looked in front of his ship, he would see that the 2nd line of Parpaldian ships had already made their move and are now approaching him and Thomas' ships. A few of those ships would happen to be the ironclads the Parpaldians had brought.

"Ironclads approaching! Get the Indonesians weapons ready!" Bordo ordered.

Although the Altarans were not completely familiar with how the weapon worked, the Indonesians have provided instruction on how to operate it alongside a note of caution regarding the dangers of its backblast.

The Parpaldian ironclad sailed beside the Beshial, intending to take down the wounded Altaran flagship. As it went to the left side of the Beshial using its magic engines, the ironclad fired its cannons.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The Beshial's crew quickly fired back at the ironclad with a volley. However, as each shot landed at the target, it would simply bounce off, only leaving a simple dent.

"T-The volley didn't do anything!"

"Quickly, reload the cannons!"

The Altaran crew frantically tried to reload the Beshial's cannons as quickly as possible only to be met by the volley of cannonballs coming from the ironclad.

And much to the Altaran's horror, the aerial battle above was about to conclude as some of the Parpaldian wyvern lords began focusing their attacks on the ships below while the others finished off the remaining Altaran wyverns. Although they were eventually taken down, the Altaran wyverns still bought an invaluable amount of time as their fleet was able to deal a huge blow to the Parpaldian fleet before the wyverns were overwhelmed.

Above the gundecks of the Beshial, the ship's crew ran up to the left side of the deck and aimed the 3 available Indonesian recoilless rifles at the ironclad. They pulled the safety pin at the rear of the barrel and checked their backs before pulling the trigger.

A projectile was fired from the weapon and cloud of smoke appeared from the front and back of the barrel. It flew towards the Parpaldian ironclad and contacted its metal hull which it would promptly penetrate.

Two of the shots simply penetrated and did some internal damage via a blast, however one of the projectile penetrated and exploded near the ironclad's magazine which would then cause it to explode, killing the crew nearby and dealing a considerable amount of damage to the ship's hull.

'BOOOOM!!'

The metal hull cracked as the explosion spread throughout the ship and out into a huge explosion and soon, the ship would split into two as it sank to the bottom of the sea.

This would surprise many of the Parpaldian sailors as one of their most advanced ships was sunk by one of Altaras' trump cards.

"The Parpaldians are still sailing towards us!"

"Damn it... I had hoped having them witness that would throw them to dissaray. I guess we have no choice, engage the incoming enemy ships and have some of our ships focus on their wyvern carriers!"

The order was relayed to the rest of the fleet and soon, the ships that were available would began sailing straight at the Parpaldian carriers. Due to the amount of damage the Beshial had taken, Admiral Bordo decided to not engage the 2nd line and instead support the ships that were still in good shape.

The Irasshia is one of the ships available to attack the Parpaldian carriers. Captain Posel commanded this 100 gun Ship of The Line and he hoped to quickly take down one of the enemy carriers.

"Full speed ahead! Once we're close, fire at the hull below its waterline! We gotta make as much damage as possible!"

The Irasshia sailed forth towards one of the 3 enemy carriers present in the battle. However, one of his crewman notified him of an urgency.

"Captain! The enemy has noticed our ship's intentions and are sending their wyverns!"

"Continue sailing at that carrier at all cost! We must cripple their air capabilities!"

As the Irasshia continued to sail towards its target, wyverns began descending towards the ship to launch its fireballs. The ship would fire its anti air weapons at the enemy wyverns.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The ship's crew fired the anti-air cannons on the Irasshia, it would shoot its canister shots which would spread all over the air to hit the Parpaldian wyverns and its wyvern knights and shooting down some but not all. The remaining Parpaldian wyverns launched their fireballs towards the Irasshia. Captain Posel instinctively shouted his orders to his men.

"Take cover! Prepare the water buckets!"

The crew of the Irasshia all ran to dodge the incoming fireballs and took cover in various places of the ship. As the fireballs descended and hit the ship, it would burn those who were unlucky while also causing a fire on the ship.

As ordered, the crew carried buckets full of water and poured it all over the fire which raged on the decks of the ship. After some time of constantly pouring water, the fire would be extinguished but cause a great deal of damage to the ship and its crew. The Irasshia continued on to sink the enemy carrier despite its damage.

"We're about to close in to their carrier!"

"Good! Are there any enemy ships intercepting us?"

"No, sir! Our allies have managed to keep them at bay, however that may not be the case for long!"

"Alright, we'll need to use the time our allies have brought us to great use. Turn hard to starboard!"

The Irasshia turned right and aimed its cannons at the Parpaldian wyvern carrier near it. As the cannons were able to aim at the hull of the carrier, Posel gave the crew time to aim below the waterline.

After some time, Posel finally gave his orders, "FIRE!"

'BOOM!'

As if in perfect coordination, the loud roar of cannons firing would be heard as the Irasshia's cannons fired its cannonballs in a volley. The cannonballs would hit the carrier hull around the waterline and had made its effect, including the 68-pounder which had dealt a great deal of damage to the carrier. Fortunately, Parpaldian Wyvern Carriers lacked the cannons to fight and sink a Ship of The Line.

Posel's heart would beat as he waited for results as his crew prepared to fire another shot. After a period of time, the cannons fired once again.

'BOOM!'

Once again, the cannonballs hit around the waterline of the carrier. Fortunately for Posel, the carrier began listing to the left as water poured inside the ship.

"The enemy carrier is sinking!"

Cheers erupted as the enemy carrier listed to its side and eventually sank, but the cheers of victory was shortlived as a report came in.

"Captain! One of our ships have reported that an ironclad has broke through and are approaching us! The ship that tried to hold it off, the Yusial was sank just moments ago.

"What?! An ironclad out of all things? Do we have anything to sink it?"

"I'm sorry sir, but due to the limited quantity of rockets, I'm afraid we may be lacking the necessary firepower."

"Damn it! If that's the case, then we're going to board it!"

The Irasshial quickly went to engage the ironclad without any weapon capable of sinking it. Posel knew that such a move would be risky, but he gambled that boarding it may work.

As the ship's crew laid their eyes on the enemy ironclad, a worried and tense feeling filled the air. The ironclad in question is an armoured frigate which had a magic engine on the middle of the ship. Although the engine had resulted in a reduced amount of space, thus less cannons, the ship still had an iron armor that was impenetrable for any cannons in Altaras' possession.

"Fire the chainshots!"

'BOOM!'

The chaser cannons on the bow of the ship was fired and two cannonballs connected to each other by chains were fired. It flew at a higher angle and hit the sails of the ironclad. Posel hoped to reduce the mobility of the ironclad by forcing it to use its engine.

'BOOM!'

Another volley of chainshots were fired. Meanwhile, the ironclad would turn left to fire its portside cannons while the Irasshia continued on.

"The ironclad is about to shoot us!"

"Let the Irasshia take the damage. We'll ram that Parpaldian ironclad and board it! Grab a barrel full of gunpowder and put it on the decks! At my command, quickly return to the ship!"

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The ironclad fired its cannons at the Irasshia. The Altaran ship would be hit by the cannonballs but would continue on. The barrage of cannons continued as the Irasshia kept firing its chainshots. That would be the case until the two ship eventually collided.

'CRASH!'

The Irasshia rammed the left side of the ironclad which would cause the crews of both sides to lose balance. As everyone regained their balance, a volley from the Irasshia's cannons was fired.

'BOOM!'

As expected, it did nothing to the metal hull of the ironclad. The Parpaldians crews taunted the Altarans for their stupidity, until ropes came out from the large cloud of smoke caused by the volley.

Both ships would be pulled to each other and multiple boarding planks would later be laid down. The crew of the Irasshia boarded the ironclad and engaged in melee combat with the Parpaldians.

Some of the Irasshia's crew grabbed the barrels below the deck and boarded the ironclad. Many would be cut down before they reached their targets and their barrel thrown overboard, while some would slip through and place the barrels at their targets.

"RETREAT!"

The crew of the Irasshia quickly ran back to their ship as the Parpaldians chased them. As the last crewman left the ironclad, a swivel gun from the Irasshia would be fired.

'BANG!'

'BOOOOM!'

Immediately after the swivel gun was fired, a large explosion erupted which would spread through the entire deck of the ironclad. It would kill many unlucky Parpaldians that were caught by the blast and took down the foremast and mainmast of the ironclad.

Unfortunately for the Irasshia, the explosion was limited to the upper decks of the ironclad and as a result, it was unable to sink the ship. The ironclad simply stayed afloat but had sustained a huge amount of damage.

"I-It didn't sink?" Posel said, surprised by the toughness of the ironclad.

Everyone on the Irasshia had been surprised as well. They had no idea what to do next as their only plan had failed in sinking the ship, however Posel quickly adapted to find a way to take advantage of the situation.

Noticing that many of the ironclad's crew was wiped out, Posel immediately had an idea.

"Board the ironclad again! They lost much of their men and won't be able to repel us!"

The crew of the Irasshia boarded the ironclad once again and they would eventually overwhelm their crew with sheer numbers. Around 20 minutes later, the heavily damaged ironclad would surrender to the Irasshia who also had been heavily damaged.

A long time later, many Parpaldian ships of the 1st line would either be sunk or surrendered while the Parpaldian ironclads that stayed fought on valiantly as the Altarans struggled to take them down. The Parpaldian wyvern lords, having defeated most of the Altaran wyverns were surprised by the sudden order to retreat and would then land on their wyvern carriers as they fled. The biggest ship of the line, Pall, would sink after being outnumbered and outgunned by 4 Altaran Ship of The Lined.

As the battle finally came to its end as the sounds of cannons and gunfire ceased, the sailors of Altaras took in the moment and cheered.

"HURRRAAH!"

The feeling of victory was felt by every single Altarans on the battlefield as they managed to defeat the Parpaldians in this very battle.

This battle would result in an Altaran victory as they successfully repelled a Parpaldian wave. It would ensure Altaras' dominance of the seas for the time being as Parpaldia gathered their forces to prepare another invasion yet again.

6