Chapter 28 – Parpaldia’s Miscalculation
185 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Parpaldian Louria, February 8th, 1640

Jin-Hark

"What the hell is that?!" A Parpaldian soldier shouted as he pointed at the squadron of Indonesian F-15EXs that are attacking the city.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

Screams of panicked and terrified Lourians and Parpaldians alike could be heard all around the city as explosions erupt all over the government area of the city, which is on top of a hill in the middle of Jin-Hark. While the attacks were contained within the 2nd and 3rd layer of the city walls alongside the ships that sat on harbor, many Parpaldian perished from the Indonesian airstrikes.

The Parpaldian commander who is currently on the outer walls of Jin-Hark looked up in shock as he witnesses the demise of his fellow soldiers, "H-How...?!" He said with his jaws dropped. "My soldiers.. The recruits and the veterans... Shouldn't the Indonesians possess aircraft similar to Mu's or Mirishial's..?"

Just as he gazed at the horror of modern warfare, one of his officers ran up to him, "Commander Olive! What should we do?! At this rate, our preparations for this campaign will go to waste!"

Olive snapped back to reality as an officer requested for his orders. He bit his lips as he stormed through his brains before coming up with a plan, "Evacuate everyone while maintaining order. Meanwhile, we need to get our wyverns in the air as soon as possible and execute anti-air operations!"

"Yes, sir!" The officer answered as he ran up to coordinate an evacuation and defense to his men.  The soldiers, having received their orders, regained their composure and manned the Parpaldian anti-air guns situated on the walls, while other ran to evacuate everyone, including the citizens from the battlefield. 

Soon, a barrage of bullets flew into the air as the sounds of machine guns is heard along the walls of the city. Unfortunately for the Parpaldians, their anti-aircraft guns would miss every single shot due to the fact they're using manually aimed machine guns that fire shells that doesn't explode in contact, alongside the high speeds of the Indonesian planes.

Meanwhile, as the Parpaldians continued to try and shoot down the Indonesian fighters, the wyverns lords that were stationed in the nearby airbase began to take flight as they ran along the dirt runway before taking off. They flew towards the city until the Indonesian fighter jets spotted the oncoming wave of wyverns.

"Their aircrafts have finally changed course!"

"Good, quickly close the distance and shoot them from sky!"

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

However, as they said that, multiple air-to-air missile from 3 Indonesian fighters hit some of the wyverns, which immediately killed them.

"W-What...?"

Some of the Indonesian fighters fired their missiles at the Parpaldian wyverns, which was followed by a barrage of bullets from the F-15's guns that shred many of the Parpaldian wyverns before they could get close to the city.

'BRRRT!'

'BRRRT!'

As the fighters got ever closer to the wyverns, they pulled up before lunging down towards the helpless Parpaldian wyvern lords, completely outmaneuvering them as wyverns fell one by one.

Wyverns that tried to dodge the Indonesian attacks also shared the same fate as their wyverns simply could not match the speed and agility of the missiles, not to mention the fighters that they were facing.

"Break up! They'll get us if we sti-" A wyvern knight shouted before being killed by the Indonesian missiles.

It was a hopeless air battle of the Parpaldians as they were unable to establish air superiority over Jin-Hark as the other Indonesian fighters focused on targeting their military installations.

As the air battle that happened over Jin-Hark concluded, the Indonesian fighters left the area as quickly as they came. Behind them is a city ravaged by modern aerial warfare as smoke flew into the air and fires spread around the center of the city.

Within the wreckage of the government area, Commander Olive quickly went to his officer who luckily managed to survive unscathed, "Please give me the damage report!"

"Y-Yes sir!" Said the officer, still shaken by the Indonesian attack, "As far as I know, we've sustained damages on most of our military installations, including our headquarters. As for our airpower, we've lost two squadron's worth of wyverns, though the exact number is still unknown.

While our airpower is still mostly intact, the damages occured to our men and equipment means that our campaign is doomed.." The officer finished his report with a saddened tone.

Olive clenched his fist and bit his lips as  he heard the report, "Damn it.. Do we have any chance of holding this city for a few months?"

"I-I... I'm afraid not, sir.. At best, we can hold out against a primitive army such as Qua-Toyne's, but not against one with the power on par with Mu.. No, much stronger than Mu."

Olive took a deep breath before coming up with an order, "Order some of our men to mount a defense to buy us time to withdraw and notify the mainland that this campaign is done for!"

"But sir, wouldn't this cause trouble for you?!" The officer asked with clear concern.

"I rather get demoted than see my men getting massacred by these demons. Besides, they'll need any man that they can get soon enough."

"Yes, sir!" The officer answered.

With the realization that the Rodenius Campaign is decided before a Parpaldian soldier set their foot on Qua-Toynian territory, a massive withdrawal would take place as men were put back onto the ships that sent them there to be sent back to the Philades.

Meanwhile, the soldiers that were stationed to buy time for the withdrawal went to prepare any kind of defense that they could do. Unfortunately, the Indonesian army sent to capture Jin-Hark arrived soon after, effectively making any in-depth preparations impossible with the limited time they had.

With the Indonesian's superior technology, firepower, and doctrine, alongside an undisputed dominance over the air, the city of Jin-Hark would soon be in the hands of the Indonesians. Fortunately for the Parpaldians, they were able to evacuate most of their soldiers into the mainland.

The battle ended as around 40,000 Parpaldian soldiers managed to escape while 12,000 soldiers were either killed or captured by the Indonesians. Fortunately for the evacuating soldiers, the Parpaldian Imperial Navy had most of their ships stationed around the area, thus allowing them to withdraw safely.

Parpaldian Empire, February 10th, 1639

Esthirant

With the arrival of the news on the defeat in Jin-Hark, an emergency meeting is currently being held within Paradis Palace, the imperial palace of the Parpaldian Empire.

In this room, Emperor Ludius alongside a number of relevant officials and the personnel involved in the battle attended the meeting. The atmosphere of the emergency room is full of worry as the Ludius' anger could clearly be seen from his face alone.

"How did we lose so easily?!" Ludius asked in a serious and angered tone as he smacked the meeting table, "Shouldn't we have a year's worth of time before the Indonesians muster their full strength?!"

Palvius, the Director for the Information Office seemed to stand out as he felt terrified the most, "I sincerely apologize, your majesty! We didn't expect such a quick Indonesian response, so my office is currently re-evaluating Indonesia's military strength!"

"That doesn't matter right now! Wasn't Indonesia supposed to have planes similar to Mirishial's Alpha-3 and Mu's Marins? According to Commander Olive, the Indonesian planes did not have any propellers compared to your report!"

"I'm really sorry, your majesty! I beg your forgiveness for this huge error!"

Suddenly, a man who attended the meeting budged in, "Your majesty, may I speak a word?"

Ludius looked at the man who spoke those words, and it was none other than the Director for Defense, Inos. Ludius simply nodded, which Inos followed up, "With the failure of our Rodenius Campaign, many of you may think that Parpaldia's only chance of victory has slipped away. However, I have received information from Palvius' office that the Indonesians are building a base in Sios."

Ludius looked at the nervous Palvius, who simply nodded in confirmation, "Please explain how this will benefit our war effort, Inos." Ludius asked in curiosity.

"Of course, your majesty. The Sios Kingdom is strategically located between Philades and Rodenius, thus their importance to trade between the two continents in undeniable.

Additionally, their location is an ideal base for us to strike the eastern and southern shores of Altaras, therefore allowing us to bypass their well-defended northern coast. While our Wyvern Overlords would have no problem against their defenses, they are simply too expensive and we cannot risk losing them, especially with the knowledge that Altaras possesses some advanced weaponries."

Ludius nodded as he listened to Inos' explanation closely before asking a question, "How about their base located in Sios. Considering what happened to Jin-Hark, I'm sure it will make such an invasion impossible."

"About that, our spies have reported that the Indonesian base in question is still being constructed. Additionally, our spies have not yet found any equipment that resemble the planes that flew above Jin-Hark, so we can bet that they are not prepared yet.

Their current garrison within Sios is also rather small, so we should have no problems overwhelming them with numbers.

If we atleast kick the Indonesians out of there, it will prevent those planes from flying over Esthirant. If we manage to conquer Sios, then we can use it to invade Altaras' weaker flanks and hopefully allow the war to turn into a stalemate as we eliminate one of our only two threats." Inos finished his speech.

Ludius' anger was gone as he listened to Inos, "I see, if we conquer Altaras, we should certainly be able to convince the coalition for peace." He said as he nodded.

"It's precisely as you said, your majesty. This is a chance to avoid defeat while allowing us to achieve better terms on the negotiating table." Inos concluded his statement.

"Alright, I'll entrust you with this operation. In the meantime, I'd like a report on how our campaign in Fenn and Awan is doing."

"Our efforts in those two countries have gone well, we're on the verge of capturing Amanoki while our forces in Awan are fighting their way towards the capital."

"Good, I'll leave it to you to make sure everything goes according to plan." Ludius requested Inos.

With the defeat in Rodenius, the Parpaldian Empire now lays their sight to Sios. The meeting would end as Parpaldian officials left to ensure the empire's survival.

Kingdom of Fenn, February 17th, 1640

Amanoki

'BANG!'

'BOOM!'

Parpaldian and Fennese cannons roared throughout the battlefield as dirt flew into the air and leaving behind a crater, where those cannonballs had hit. Crackling sounds of muskets could also be heard alongside the screeches and roars of the wyverns above.

In this almost 2 week long battle, which would be known as the Siege of Amanoki, a Parpaldian force of 31,000 soldiers engaged the 14,000 strong Fennese army. Near the shores of Amanoki, a Parpaldian fleet of 20 ships blockaded the city, preventing any kind of aid from arriving to the Fennese defenders. The weather of the battle is far from perfect as a light rain fell from the clouds and onto the soil, creating some puddles of mud and drenching the uniforms of both sides with water.

The stone walls that protect the Fennese capital city is enduring the damage it is currently sustaining from the seemingly endless Parpaldian cannonballs. The Fennese soldiers above and the Gaharan volunteers on the walls fought back with all their might against the unstoppable Imperial Army.

The defenders fired their tanegashimad while using the wall as cover. On some areas of the walls, multiple soldiers manned the cannons that fired at the Parpaldian soldiers below. Cannonballs were fired as the cannons recoil, before being pushed back into position and reloaded by pushing down the gunpowder and cannonball onto the barrel.

For the defenders, their luck were running out the longer they held against the Parpaldian siege. The limited men that fought were being picked one by one from fireballs that came from the attacking wyverns above as they desperately executed anti-air operations to no avail.

Unfortunately, their luck now ran out as a section of the mighty walls that protected the city crumbled, resulting in those who stood on that section to fall to their deaths and buried under the rubbles.

"There's our chance! Charge!" A Parpaldian soldier shouted.

In a coordinated move, the Parpaldian Imperial Army made an assault towards Amanoki. Multiple times they were repelled, but this assault seemed different compared to previous attempts.

"They're charging at the walls!" A Fennese soldier shouted.

"Get to the breach!" A Fennese officer ordered as he fired his pistol.

Meanwhile in the defender's side, Fennese soldiers began moving towards the multiple crumbled sections of the wall to fill up the gaps. They aimed at the Parpaldian soldiers who were getting closer and fired their tanegashimas.

"FIRE!" A Fennese officer ordered his men.

'BANG!'

In a single volley, the Fennese soldiers managed to take down a number of Parpaldian soldiers. However, they fought back and fired their muskets at the Fennese soldiers.

'BANG!'

'BANG!'

Having the numerical advantage, the Parpaldians down many more Fennese soldiers before charging at them with bayonets while the defenders prepared to fight.

The two armies clashed in close quarters combat. Soldiers of both sides were stabbed by the blades of the enemy and sounds of wood and metal clashing into each other would be heard. With a numerical advantage and complete air superiority, the Parpaldians manage to break through the Fennese lines, breaking open a hole for other soldiers to pour into the city.

'They've broken through our lines!" A Fennese soldier exclaimed while he ran down the walls.

Many Fennese soldiers who were on the walls climbed down to the ground to engage the enemy, while some stayed and fired at the enemy on a higher elevation.

The battle went on as it moved from the outskirts of the city and onto the streets of Amanoki. The city would be filled with the bodies and blood of the soldiers from both sides as the Parpaldians pressed their advantage.

The battle later ended as the Parpaldian Empire managed to conquer the Kingdom of Fenn. With the conclusion of this battle, the Parpaldian-Fennese war that started in November would result in Fenn's colonization after almost 3 months of war. Meanwhile, the city of Amanoki would be in ruins as bodies of around 13,000 Fennese and 10,000 Parpaldian soldiers laid around the battlefield.

4