Chapter 31 – Cut Off From Support
182 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Parpaldian Empire, February 24th, 1640

Esthirant

Within the imperial palace of the Parpaldian royalty, another emergency meeting is currently taking place after news of their latest defeat in Sios had reached Ludius' ears.

Once again, Ludius seemed furious, especially towards his officials who were in charge with the military. Inos and Palvius, the individuals who had suggested the attack in Rodenius and Sios seemed especially frightened as they never expected these results.

"Now, can anyone explain how we suffered another defeat in Sios?" Ludius said as he glared at Inos and Palvius.

Sweat flowed down from Inos' face as he tried to explain his failure, "Well.. I-It seems that the defenders were much stronger than we anticipated.."

Ludius smacked the meeting table in anger as the table shook in response, "What do you mean they were much stronger than anticipated?! We've given more than enough supplies, ships, and manpower for this attack and now you're telling me that we failed!"

"T-That's seems to be the case.. I'm afraid we no longer have any chance of achieving a favorable deal."

Ludius seemed done with the whole ordeal as he pinched the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger as he released a deep sigh.

After a Ludius had calmed down, his face would bear the expression of disappointment, "Inos, Palvius.. It seems that I can no longer trust your capabilities in your respective offices, so consider yourselves fired. Guards, please take these two away from this very meeting."

Inos and Palvius both looked shocked at the announcement as the 4 guards that stood in the room forcefully grabbed them and took them away from their seats and the room. They couldn't object to their dismissal as the two knew that it wouldn't get them anywhere.

Silence ensued as the other officials witnessed the removal of 2 high ranking officials. After a while, the silence would be broken as Ludius spoke, "I will appoint their replacement at a later date and so, I will personally take care of all military matters until then.

Now, Fleet Admiral Sius, please brief me with our current naval losses."

Sius, taken by surprise, quickly stood from his chair and cleared his throat, "Our navy has taken a considerable amount of damage compared to our pre-war levels of 634 total ships. Currently, we stand at around 500 warships of all sizes left, but we have lost a huge number of Ship of The Lines and a number of ironclads. However, we still have enough of them for any more major naval battles."

Ludius nodded before looking at Arde, the General of the Imperial Army, "Arde, how is our overall situation on the ground and air?"

Having expected that he would have go next, Arde also stood up as Sius sat back onto his seat, "Currently, we have around 500 thousand active military personnels and as our major industrial cities are still intact, we can confidently execute any kind of ground campaign in the region while curbing the rising unrest. Additionally, we still have around 75% of our air force compared to pre-war levels and we have not lost a single Wyvern Overlord."

"I see.." Ludius then paused for a while as he took in the information and went to devise a contingency plan, "Alright, the navy has proven itself incapable and incompetent in operations against our rival, the Altaran Navy and the recent threat from Indonesia. Thus, I want the navy to be solely focusing on the defense of our coast, especially near Esthirant and Duro.

Arde, I want the army to hold on to Fenn as soon as possible to buy us enough time to reinforce the mainland. This means that we are going to conduct guerrilla warfare to slow down the coalition's advance and inflict heavy casualties to hopefully bring them to the negotiating table.

For our wyverns, I want them stationed on our major coastal cities, especially Esthirant and Duro due to their importance.

Elto, I want the First Foreign Affairs Office to request aid from the Holy Mirishial Empire. And for Kaios, I want your office to negotiate white peace with the coalition if possible. Is that all clear?" Ludius asked his officials as he looked at them.

Not wanting to disobey the Emperor, everyone who attended the meeting unanimously agreed on Ludius' plan. They also knew that the war had not gone well, so any plan was worth putting into practice.

"Then that shall be it for this meeting, dismissed." Ludius said as he ended the meeting.

Esthirant, February 25th, 1640

As a new morning arrived to the Parpaldian Empire, grey clouds filled the skies above. The common people of Esthirant went around with their lives while the government and military officials worked frantically as they prepared for the inevitable.

In the Embassy of the Holy Mirishial Empire, a large 4 story building in the center of the capital city, two men met inside a meeting room.

"So you wanted to meet me so you can request aid to our empire?" The Mirishian ambassador asked.

"That's precisely it, Mr. Kurk. We would like the Holy Mirishial Empire to send us supplies and weapons to continue our war effort. Your modern weaponries should prove to be instrumental in our victory." The Parpaldian man said, trying to convince Kurk.

"Ah.. I admire the courage and bravery of your nation after a number of major defeats, Yae. However, our Emperor has decided that the Holy Mirishial Empire shall not support the Parpaldian Empire's war."

Shock and confusion filled Yae as he heard Kurk's answer, "What do you mean you won't support us? Your nation has invested and supported our modernization for so long now."

Kurk simply shook his head, "I'm sorry but it's nothing personal. We have decided that the best course in action is to cut off support for your nation, and thus, there will be no support for your war."

Yae is now at a loss for words, he couldn't believe that the nation that had supported Parpaldia's rise from stagnation would cut off their support just like that, "I-I see.. Then I guess this meeting is futile."

"Seems to be like it, so I will be taking my leave now."

Just like that, Parpaldia's war seemed to be getting worse as time goes on. Initially, it was Mu who had sent an observer to

Parpaldian Fenn, February 26th, 1640

Amanoki

Rain fell from the clouds in the sky and into the stone brick roads of the former Fennese capital. While not a heavy rain, one could still get drenched in water if not wearing any adequate protection. Despite the rain, a crowd gathered around a wooden platform to witness an event that is going to take place today.

On a part of the road that isn't blocked by the crowd, an old man walked to a wooden platform escorted by 4 Parpaldian soldiers. His hands are tied to his back and the clothes he wear seemed visibly dirty and torn apart. His once white skin seemed to be full of bruises, the same goes for his face. It's clear for the crowd that the man has gone through hard times.

Most people held their anger and stayed put while some that didn't ran towards the 4 Parpaldian guards, only to be quickly apprehended by the many other guards in the scene. Those who tried to disturb the Parpaldians would then be taken to a secluded area for questioning which is sometimes followed by the sound of muskets firing.

As the old man went up to the platform, a younger but still a rather old man greeted him wearing clothes that seemed to be luxurious and fancy.

"Today's the day, huh?" Taro said to Shihan who was pushed onto the floor of the wooden platform by the guards.

"The day you realized your mistakes, isn't it?" Shihan said with a grin on his face as he picked himself up.

"Did you forget today is your big day? Look at the amount of people gathered to witness your end!" Taro said, provoked as he moved right in front of Shihan with a condescending tone.

"You think the Fennese people will forgive you this easily after what you'll do today?" Shihan said as he looked up with a defiant look.

"Hmph, whether or not they forgive me doesn't matter. I have the power to do whatever I want here and no one will stand in my way." Taro said with a proud and cocky look as he ordered the soldiers to move Shihan into place.

"Hah, now you're spouting nonsense." Shihan said as his head is forcefully put into the guillotine.

"Your attitude is admirable, but I'll be the one to decide your fate here." Taro said as he grabbed the rope connected to the blade above.

"Goodbye, old frien-"

'BOOM!'

Just as Taro was about to say that, a boom occured in the skies above as a squadron of Dassault Rafales flew above Amanoki and released their missiles.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The missiles would exactly hit the many Parpaldian military buildings in the area, sending debris flying into the air. This attack had completely taken everyone by surprise and the crowds would begin scattering.

"Wha.. Get to the defenses immediately, we're under attack!" Taro ordered his soldiers as the execution was halted.

Taro knew it wasn't safe to stay here any longer as fire from the attacks spread throughout the city. He had to make a hard choice on whether to cancel the execution or kill Shihan right now.

"Damn it! Stop the execution!" He ordered as his guards took grinning Shihan out from the guillotine.

Immediately after that, they quickly got off the platform and ran for safety. As if it was a stroke of luck, just as they got off, the platform and guillotine they were on is suddenly destroyed into many pieces of wood and splinter as a wyvern lord fell onto it.

The streets was full of chaos as men, women, and children ran to safety. It was a complete human stampede as some people were injured. Screams of terror could be heard as Taro and his guards tried to get to safety.

"Why did this have to happen?!" Taro said as he cursed to himself.

However, as they passed by a building which is currently on fire, it would collapse onto them, leaving Taro stuck under a large piece of wood.

"Guards! Help me!" Taro said as he called out for his Parpaldian guards.

From the smoke of the fire, his 2 guards would appear, though Shihan who was being carried isn't with them anymore.

Taro smiled in relief at his supposed rescuers until they simply laughed, "Why the hell should we help you?"

Taro's relief quickly turned into dread as he cried out, "I'm the governor of this island! His majesty gave me this position!"

The Parpaldian guards laughed as one of them replied, "Hah, I bet he just gave you that position since you're a Fennese and easy to control. A Parpaldian governor would definitely be more capable than the likes of a Fennese."

"N-No! This isn't how its supposed to be! You two are under my command!" Taro said as he desperately tried to get unstuck.

The two guards simply raised their muskets and aimed them at Taro, who closed his eyes as his heart beat ever more faster. For him, it seemed to be the end of the line for him until..

'SLASH!'

Suddenly, the sound of a blade cutting through flesh could be heard as a sword went through the necks of the Parpaldian guards, who wore no armor but only clothes. The slice was so smooth and quick that the soldiers couldn't even react to it.

'THUMP!'

The sound of two bodies falling into the ground could be heard as Taro slowly opened his eyes. His former guards were now corpses that did not move and possessed no head as streams of blood flowed onto the stone ground. He could see their heads lying a distance away as the figure who killed them walked closer to Taro. The man had a katana on his right hand which had a blade that seemed visibly bloody.

"Heh, Guess my skills haven't rusted after all.." The man said to himself.

"W-What... Shihan?" Taro who is now speechless, looked up to his saviour who revealed himself to be the Sword King himself.

"How.. How did you escape?" Taro asked Shihan who lifted the wood on top of him with great strength.

"You should've know I'm more skilled than I look, right?" Shihan said to Taro who quickly got out.

Taro simply couldn't believe that the man he almost executed would save him. He clenched his fist on the though of his friend saving him, "Why did you save me? I've almost killed you and surely you wouldn't forgive me for it.."

Shihan would put his katana back to its sheath as he answered Taro's answer, "Of course I can't just easily forgive you for that, but I still have the responsibility to take care of my subjects, which includes you as well. Besides, I'm sure you have your reasons for joining Parpaldia, right? Now let's go before we fall into anymore danger."

"Ah okay.." Taro answered as Shihan led the way to safety.

The two ran through the chaotic battlefield of Amanoki as the Indonesians made their amphibious landing to liberate the city. Instead of anger, Taro felt confused at this event. The man he had betrayed had saved him from a seemingly certain death.

One thing is for certain, he needed to know Shihan's reasoning for saving him when the situation finally calms down. For him, he still could not understand why he did it.

4