Chapter 32 – The Liberation of Fenn
180 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Parpaldian Fenn, February 26th, 1640

Southern Coast of Fenn

Some distance away from Fenn, a fleet of Indonesian ships were present. It consisted of 2 Martadinata-class Frigates and 3 Makassar-class Landing Platform Docks. Their mission here is to secure a beachhead near the capital Amanoki before turning to strike the capital.

From the decks of the LPDs, one could notice the bright flashes of light in the distance as the fighters striked their targets. Their task were to soften the Parpaldian defenses on the islands which included an airbase and the warships that defended the island.

After a while that seemed like forever, the fighters made their way back to Aceh, which is where their airbase is located. With the airstrikes being successful, the LPDs would dispatch the many landing crafts and amphibious vehicles used in the operation.

On the rear of the LPDs were the pads where the helicopters began taking off from. The helicopters would fly vertically before heading straight towards their target.

Water splashed all throughout the metal hulls of the landing crafts as it made their way to the beach. The craft itself shook from the endless waves of the sea as soldiers crowded together in a limited space.

Then, the sounds of gunfire could be heard from the beach as the helicopters fired the guns on each of its side as it went on its task to soften the defenses even further. The sound of 76mm naval guns firing could also be heard as the frigates fired at the remaining Parpaldian ships left by the airstrike.

All in all, the sound of gunfire seemed endless until the ramp on the front of the landing craft finally opened as it fell onto the ground with a loud thump.

With this, the Indonesians landed on the beaches of Fenn as soldiers got out of their landing crafts and IFVs moving through the sandy beaches below it.

The 1,000 strong amphibious landing force faced little to no opposition in securing a beachhead as the Parpaldians were unable to build up a strong coastal defense in time. In just around an hour or so, the Indonesians were able to secure a beachhead as they swiftly made their way to secure the airfield nearby.

Amanoki

Near the ruins of the Parpaldian military buildings in Amanoki, Lieutenant General Bertran was flabbergasted. He had luckily survived the Indonesian airstrike with a few scratches by evacuating the building before it crumbled.

"What the hell just happened..?"

As he took in the sights of his surroundings, he could see even more ruins in the city. It seemed that the enemy had specifically target their military buildings in the city.

As he continued to gaze his sights at the city, he could see a communications officer who seemed to be running towards him. Judging from the expression he had, it seemed to be urgent.

"What's wrong comms officer?" Bertran asked as the officer stopped to catch his breath.

"Our.. Our airbase is under attack! They went through the same airstrikes that happened just recently and now they're  saying that they're fighting against an unidentified enemy army!" The officer reported.

"It's under attack?!" Bertran asked, also shocked by it, "How are our forces doing there?"

"Well.. It seems that they were in the brink of falling when they reported it. I'm afraid we won't be able to reinforce them in time.."

The attacked was so quick that Bertran couldn't fathom how they were suddenly cornered this fast.

"There's no way the Fennese could mount that strong of a resistance this quickly... If that's the case, then could the Indonesians have landed from the sea?" Bertran said as he tried to reason with the situation.

"That could explain why our patrols went missing yesterday.." His officer added.

This is clearly bad for Bertran as the loss of the airbase means that he wouldn't be able to call for air support. He did not know how many men and equipment he could count on."

"If that's the case, then how many soldiers and ships do we have left?"

Once again, the officer seemed bothered by that question, "Well uh.. According to reports, the 30 warships we had in Amanoki and Nishinomiyako were mostly sunk, leaving us with only 4 available ships.

On the ground, we're only left with around 1,500 troops split between Amanoki and Nishinomiyako, assuming the base is indeed neutralized.."

"What..? That's not even enough to defend the island from a full invasion! Are you saying that half of our entire garrison of 3,000 elite soldiers are wiped out that easily?!" Bertran said as he tried to object to the situation.

"I-I'm afraid that's how it is, sir. What should we do? At this rate, we'll lose control of the entirety of Fenn!"

Bertran bit his tounge as he tried to come up with a strategy. If he tried to defend both cities from a powerful enemy army with the meager 750 soldiers he currently has in each city, they would inevitably fall.

"Then.. Order the soldiers in both cities to regroup for a strike to recapture our airbase!" He ordered.

"Yes, sir!"

Parpaldian Airbase, Between Nishinomiyako and Amanoki

3 hours has already passed after the Indonesians managed to capture this Parpaldian airbase. The battle that occured here only took a couple of hours before the entirety of the area was secured.

Around the airbase were the large dead bodies of the Parpaldian Wyvern Lords alongside many other equipment and dead soldiers that laid all around the area.

With the threat of the airbase and Parpaldian Navy being neutralized, the Indonesians could now send additional men and equipment to the area safely in order to completely liberate Fenn.

Lieutenant Colonel Irwan currently stood inside the airbase, inspecting the damage done towards the area and to his men. He looked around to see some of his soldiers inspecting the many wyvern corpses around the area.

"It's really interesting to see them in real life.." A soldier said as he touched the scales of a dead wyvern lord.

"How do these things even shoot their fireballs?" Another one asked.

Irwan simply let the conversation be as their task now were to hold their current position and wait for additional reinforcements.

As he continued to walk through the base, an officer would approach him, "Sir, our forces within the perimeter has spotted a 1,500 strong enemy army approaching the area from the north."

"Alright, order the troops to ambush the enemy force. Don't let a single one of them alive until they either get annihilated or surrendered."

Coate Plain, North of the Airbase

Multiple columns of a 1,500 strong Parpaldian army would march as they went towards their target. Leading them in the middle of the column is Lieutenant General Bertran who is currently on a horse in the middle of his guards, who were also on horseback.

"Any signs of the enemy army?" He asked.

"According to our scouts, they're still in their base, but we have also lost contact with them soon after that report." An officer said.

"That's strange. Order the entire army to be on high alert and send scouts to our immediate area. The enemy might have spotted us already." Bertran ordered.

Unknownst to Bertran, as he made his orders, 2 BMP-3s and a number of other hidden Indonesian soldiers that had been watching the Parpaldian army made their move. They were hiding behind the hills, trees, and bushes that obstructed them from the Parpaldian's view.

The BMP-3's tracks crushed the leaf and branches below it as it moved up the small hill between it and the enemy. Meanwhile, the Parpaldian soldiers were unaware of this fact.

Once everyone was in position, every Indonesian soldier and military vehicles opened fire.

'BRRRRRRT!'

As if it was in unison, assault rifles, machine guns, and autocannons began firing at the Parpaldian army at its flanks, decimating the entire column with a rain of bullets.

"ENEMY ATTAC-" A Parpaldian soldier shouted before being mowed down like his fellow soldiers.

It was a complete massacre as soldiers fell like dominoes from the barrage of bullets that came from both sides. Similarly, Bertran was unable to react as he was immediately killed from the ongoing onslaught.

The Parpaldian Army couldn't fight back or even surrender as the death of Bertran and many other officers quickly destroyed the command of the army, thus making it incapable of reacting properly without chaos.

As the sounds of gunfire stopped, all that was left were the dead bodies of soldiers and the horses that pulled their equipment.

With the annihilation of the entire Parpaldian garrison in Fenn, the Indonesians would be able to liberate it swiftly. Quickly securing the city of Amanoki and Fenn by tomorrow.

The Liberation of Fenn was a complete success as Parpaldia lost 26 warships, 3,000 soldiers, and a decent number of wyvern lords. Meanwhile, Indonesia suffered no losses but with a number of injuries on their side.

Republic of Indonesia, March 1st, 1640

Jakarta

In a certain room within the Indonesian capital city, a number of high ranking Indonesian officials gathered for a meeting. The ones attending the meeting are the Indonesian President, Hendra Kusuma, Minister of Defense, Agung Purnama, some high ranking Indonesian military personnels, and representatives from the coalition nations.

"Now with the Kingdom of Fenn liberated, we can finally move on with the next and final phase of the war." Hendra Kusuma

"Is your nation planning to directly invade Parpaldia?" The Altaran representative asked.

Hendra Kusuma shook his head, "Oh, not of that sort. Minister Agung, please explain."

The Indonesian Minister of Defense, Agung Purnama would grab the microphone as he cleared his throat, "The Republic of Indonesia unfortunately doesn't have the necessary capabilities to directly invade the Parpaldian mainland, thus any campaign there has been deemed useless. However, we have devised a contingency plan to take our their capability on supporting their war effort and bring the Parpaldian to the negotiating table.

First of all, as we have liberated Fenn, we will be constructing an airbase to conduct strike operations on the city of Duro and Esthirant. The targets for these airstrikes are their shipyards, factories, and military railway in Duro and major military bases on both cities.

We have also noticed that their naval power is currently concentrated near these two cities and thus, we can take out Parpaldia's war capacity and much of their naval power as well.

Once that happens, it can hopefully lead to peace talks." Agung explained.

"That's nice and all, but what is your plan if Parpaldia doesn't request for peace?" The Siosan representative asked.

This very question seemed to be shared with the other representatives considering that Parpaldia has been rather persistent in its war effort. None of the coalition countries have sufficient capability to invade Parpaldia via a land campaign as the Parpaldian Imperial Army is the strongest in the region.

"In the case that happens, then we will incite a coup d'etat to overthrow the current regime while also using Parpaldia's northern neighbors and inciting rebellions to further pressure them into peace. I'm sure the destruction of their major industrial areas and bases will prove catastrophic to their military." Agung added.

The representatives were not all completely convinced of the plan's success, but with multiple factors to push them for peace, it was the best plan they could hope for at the time.

After they were briefed of the overall plan, each nations were given tasks that were suited for them in order to support the final phase of the war. Later on, every nation that attended the briefing would accept the plan to finally bring peace back to the region.

The final phase of the conflict now begins as the Eastern Coalition closes in on the Parpaldian Empire on seemingly every side with the enemy being put into the defensive. No one in this conflict knows when it will end but one thing is for sure, a coalition victory seems to be within grasp.

4