Chapter 34 – Underground
178 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Parpaldian Empire, March 2nd, 1640

Kooze Territory, Western Region of Parpaldia

In the former capital of the Kooze Kingdom, sights of poverty or homelessness are common, especially in its slums, which now make up a large chunk of the city after it was conquered by Parpaldia. Many natives of the former island country sat on the sidewalks as they begged for the richer Parpaldian citizens or Koozeans who have the favour of the ruling government.

The nation used to be a prosperous island country from their medium-sized magic mine, which ironically caused the downfall of their nation as Parpaldia demanded it to be handed over. Just like Altaras, Kooze immediately rejected that demand which prompted a Parpaldian invasion of their island. Due to having a much weaker military than either Parpaldia or Altaras, the nation was quickly conquered.

Now, no signs of that prosperity could be seen as the magic mine was exploited for Parpaldia's industrialization and modernization efforts. Simply put, it is truly colonialism in the works.

In the slums of the former capital, crude houses made out of wood and metal are everywhere. This area remains relatively lawless as the Parpaldians doesn't even bother to enforce the law there, and as a result, crime rates are especially high. However, in this very place, there's a crude-looking house that seemed ordinary from the outside.

In the house, there is a hallway that leads into a surprisingly large room. In the room, there are a number of native Koozeans of various age and genders. In the middle of the room is a large wooden table that has a map of the region, the island of Kooze, and the city itself. This very room is the hideout of the Kooze Reconstruction Army, a rebel movement formed a couple of years ago.

The sounds of footsteps could be heard as a man runs through the wooden floor of the hallway and opens the door to the room. From it, a young blonde haired Koozean came out with a small item on his hand. The other members of the movement looked at him.

"Oh Cheemas, you're back. I assume everything went well?" A young black haired man asked.

"I've got what you asked for, Haki." Cheemas said as he placed the item on the table next to a device that looked like a radio. The item that Cheemas had retrieved looked flat and small, similar to a chip.

Immediately, one of the people in the room walked towards the device, "Well then, time to get this baby running again."

He would open a small hatch that was on a radio which has a number of black wires inside. Then, the item would be placed inside the radio before a grey gem is put inside.

"Alright, that should do it. Let me just test if it works.." He said as he pressed a button and turned a small wheel on the front of it.

Then, a sound would emit from the device, "Bzzzt... You're listening to Arovia Radio.."

Everyone cheered as they finally got the device running while Cheemas sighed in relief, "Phew, looks like all of that wasn't for nothing.."

The wheel would be turned once again, changing the channel to another one, "We're back with Mirishial News Network.. The Kingdom of Fenn, which was conquered by the Parpaldian Empire has been liberated by the Eastern Coalition Forces after a few days. Reports say that Parpaldia has lost its entire garrison during the attack and as a result, the war will likely reach Parpaldian shores!"

Everyone looked in shock as Parpaldia's powerful army was again defeated in the ongoing war. At first, the news of Parpaldia's losing Louria seemed unbelievable, but after seeing the result of the battles in Sios and Fenn, they were all convinced that Parpaldian will likely lose this war.

"Hah, this ain't something you'd get from The Esthirant Times. I bet their emperor is going crazy after all of these defeats." A female member said.

"Haki, do you think its time we should act?" Cheemas asked Haki, the leader of the movement.

Haki thought for a moment. He was the son of a famous family of knights, but he had lost his country and even both of his parents to the Parpaldian invasion. As a result, he went into hiding and later formed the Kooze Reconstruction Army, aimed to regain Kooze's independence.

"The Empire is likely scrambling to defend their homeland at all cost, so their military presence will likely be diminishing soon.. If this is the case, then this is an opportunity for us to act!" Haki said, stirring the morale of his fellow members.

Kingdom of Fenn, March 2nd, 1640

Amanoki

The underground jail of the city seemed filthy as usual. Moss grew on the stone walls of the prison and droplets of water fell from the ceiling and onto the floor below. Some of the steel bars of the cells seemed to be rusting but still kept the prisoners inside.

A somewhat old Fennese man sat alone in his cell, which was lit by a number of torches on the walls of the seemingly endless hallway. He looked up into the ceiling and waited with a bored look on his face. There weren't any luxurious furniture or items from Parpaldia or anything to help pass the time.

Then, he could hear footsteps of a group of people. As the sound got closer, a light could be seen which eventually revealed itself to be a lantern held by an older Fennese man.

Just like the sight that Shihan saw, this time, Taro saw Shihan with his Fennese guards as escorts. The guard's didn't carry a gun, but a sword on their hips. Meanwhile, Shihan wore his usual robes and his face still seemed injured, though it has already healed.

"This is quite a change in position, isn't it Taro?" Shihan said as he looked at the jailed Taro.

"Shut up, if it weren't for the absurd strength of those Indonesians, I wouldn't be here." Taro said as he looked back at Shihan while he sat on the floor.

Shihan released a deep sigh, "It's great to see that you've been well after all of this years. Although, I was quite shocked and disappointed when I learned that you joined the Parpaldians."

It had been a long time since they last met on good terms. The two had their reunion back in November when the Parpaldian Empire made some demands, which resulted to the current war.

"Well.. What do you plan to do now, old man? You've successfully got your country's independence back and captured this traitorous Taro."

Shihan chuckled at Taro's question, which seemed to amuse him, "It's best that you reflect on your choice to join the Parpaldians. You should've known that they view the people of Fenn in disdain, yet you willingly joined their ranks.."

"Please.. Please leave me alone for a while.." Taro said, seemingly reacting negatively to Shihan's statement.

"If that's what you want." Shihan said, respecting Taro's request as he disappeared from view of the cell alongside his guards.

Taro looked down to the floor, humilliated, as he hears the sound of Shihan's footsteps getting smaller as time went by. As his immediate area became silent, he laid down to the floor, his head filled on how he ended up in this situation.

"Damn it.. Why does he always end up better than me.." Taro muttered to himself.

And that ends Taro's short taste of glory from rising through the ranks as a lowly staff for their government, into the diplomat and then governor for Fenn, before simply being reduced to a prisoner of war in his very own country of origin.

Riem Kingdom, March 3rd, 1640

Hilkiga

The city of Hilkiga is the capital city of the Riem Kingdom, a country on the northern border of Parpaldia. In many ways, the country is similar to the Parpaldian Empire but due to its weaker status, the country has experienced its fair share of Parpaldian aggression.

In one of the rooms of the royal castle, King Banks is currently looking at the ongoing military parade in town from a large window.

Then, a knock would be heard from the door to the room to which Banks would answer, "Enter."

The door opens with a noticeable screech, revealing an old man who bowed, "I apologize for my interruption, your majesty, but the Indonesians have approached us with a proposal."

Banks would seem curious, "A proposal from the Indonesians? Tell me about it."

Naturally, Banks knew of their feats in Rodenius, Topa, Sios, and Fenn against the Parpaldian Empire since it all happened in the region. Hence, he made every step to make sure relations with Indonesia would blossom.

"Of course." The man answered, "Their diplomat has told us of their plan to end their war with Parpaldia. As they have approached us about it, they want us to play a role on that victory."

Bank's curiosity peaked as his opportunistic senses tingled, "Hoh.. What do they want us to do? I bet it's that, isn't it?"

The aide nodded to Bank's question, "According to them, they want us to stage an invasion of the north eastern territories of Parpaldia after they bomb the city of Duro and Esthirant. In addition to this, they are promising us with a piece of Parpaldia's north east territory."

King Banks grinned as he heard their proposal. For him, it's a way for Riem to finally cut even with Parpaldia and for his country to boost its military prowess and status. Of course, he had also heard about the ongoing war between Parpaldia and the Eastern Coalition and he was thinking of his next move.

While Riem is not a peer adversary to Parpaldia, they still had a fairly strong military and the destruction of their industry and transportation would level the playing field. Therefore, Indonesia's request seemed to have came in the perfect moment.

Therefore, he quickly made his decision, "Those Indonesians are giving us a great deal. Quickly accept their effort and make sure to prepare our country for it!"

"As you wish." The aide left the room as he heard his king's orders.

As King Banks is left inside the room alone, he couldn't contain his joy. He was no longer paying attention to the parade below and his mind is instead filled with thoughts of Riem getting even with the Parpaldians.

"Hahah.. Finally we have a chance to strike back at them after all of history.." Banks muttered to himself.

Thus begins the preparations for the final phase of the war as Indonesia gathers any ally to weaken their enemy even further. This very same proposal are given to all countries that shared a border with Parpaldia.

5