Chapter 36 – Evacuation of Esthirant
157 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Parpaldian Empire, March 10th, 1640

Esthirant Military Base

Parpaldian personnel ran around the base, scrambling to respond to the sudden attack. The Indonesian aircrafts simply flew too fast for them to react and mount a defense before they reached the city.

The 3rd Wyvern Squadron, which consisted of Wyvern Lords, moved and lined up to the runway of the airfield, followed by the 1st Wyvern Squadron, which consisted of the Wyvern Overlords. Both squadrons numbered at 12 wyverns and were experienced in aerial warfare.

"3rd Wyvern Squadron, taking off!" The squadron leader shouted to his manacomm.

The wyverns ran through the runway to gain speed as explosions occur in the background, clearly from the capital some distance away.

"Enemy detected! They're approaching the base!" A shout is heard from the manacomm.

Everyone looked to the sky to see a couple of F-15s approaching the base, much to their horror. Their speed was unbelievable and they were going to reach the base in just a few seconds.

"We won't make it!" Another shout is heard from the manacomm.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

Sure enough, they were too late. Before either of the 2 squadrons could take off and gain altitude, the Indonesian fighters reached the base and bombed it alongside the wyverns on the runway.

Explosions erupt all over the base as the missiles hit various parts of the facility. Runways, buildings, towers were all hit and many Parpaldian military personnel died from the ensuing onslaught, either from the explosions or the crumbling buildings of the base.

There were those who were able to evacuate, but as the Indonesians had achieved the element of surprise, Parpaldian casualties of both men and wyverns were high.

With the destruction of Parpaldia's ability to react and mount a defense of the capital, the Indonesians had established aerial superiority over the capital's airspace and are now capable of exercising its aerial assaults without disruptions.

Remille's Mansion

Some time has passed after the Indonesians had begun their aerial bombardment. Remille still looked on, helpless at the sight of the once glorious city being subject to bombardment. The once peaceful and prosperous city looked different from usual and a chaotic atmosphere filled it.

A knock could be heard from the door of Remille's bedroom, "Miss Remille, his majesty has issued an evacuation order! We need to get you out of here quickly!"

"Ah.. yes!" Remille snapped out and stopped staring at the city outside, she knew that it wouldn't be safe for her to stay in her mansion for an extended period of time.

She quickly got dressed and proceeded to run through the hallways of her mansion. With all of her energy, she reached the front door and opened it, to see a carriage being prepared for her evacuation.

She quickly got into the carriage and asked, "Where are we heading?!"

One of her servants who was preparing the carriage answered, "We're ordered to evacuate out of the city until the bombardment stops!"

"What about his majesty?!" Remille asked again, concerned of Ludius' well-being.

"He's currently being evacuated as well! Now, we need to get you out of here!" The servant assured her.

Soon, the carriage began to move, pulled by 2 horses and moved at high speeds. During the evacuation, they had to avoid frightened pedestrians, which ran all over the city, further adding to the chaotic atmosphere. Remille looked out from the windows of her carriage to see the common people of the empire in distress.

"Waaaah! Mommy!!" A young boy of around 5 year old cried out as he tried to find his mother.

"What's going on?!?!" A middle aged man with a messy hair frantically asked to a nearby soldier immediately after exiting a building.

"Please stay calm and you won't die! We need everyone to stay calm so we can get you to shelter immediately!" A Parpaldian soldier ordered to the masses.

"How are we supposed to stay calm in this situation?! Wasn't this city supposed to be safe?!" A young man shouted at the soldier.

"Let me go! My husband works in the factory!" A frantic young woman pleaded to another soldier, who prevented her from approaching the industrial area of the city.

Clearly, efforts to keep order in the city failed. Split between responding to the sudden attack and evacuating the civilians, all while maintaining a sense of order, seemed difficult. Regardless, everyone is trying their best.

Unfortunately for the inhabitants of Esthirant, the bombardment is far from over. No one knew when it will end, but it will surely end once the Indonesians manage to achieve their objective. However, the damage that has been done to the city has so far been limited to the industrial area of the city, where the factories are concentrated, and the military base, while damage to the other areas of the city remained at a minimum.

Sios Kingdom, March 10th, 1640

Indonesian Military Base

The sun that shined brightly flew ever more higher in the clear sky above the base and as the day went on, the surrounding temperature increased. In the sky, the sounds of jet engines slowly got louder as the F-15 squadron return to base.

From the ground, one could see a silhouette of a fighter jet flying high above the sky and slowly descending towards the runway below. The fighter's landing gear extended as it got ever more closer.

Soon, the tires of the landing gears screeched as it hit the paved runway below. One of the fighter jets had successfully landed and the others were following it, waiting their turn to finally land.

In a building inside the military base, an Indonesian man sat by his desk. On it were piles of paperwork, a pen, and various other items. The room around him is white and cooled by a large fan on the wall. The sun that shined above the base had moved ever so higher to the sky.

Another man walked into the room with a document on his hand, "Sir, the 12th Air Squadron has finished their first sortie and have returned to the base."

"Please give me the report." The man said to his subordinate.

The other Indonesian man would read the contents document, "They've managed to render the nearby military base inoperable and deal a considerable amount of damage to the industrial area and the military shipyards of the city. Additionally, we have also sunk around 30 enemy warships near the port and shot down 3 enemy air squadrons. However, the industrial area still remains relatively intact."

"As expected.." The Indonesian man said, "Please assemble another sortie immediately."

"Roger that." His subordinate said as he left the room.

The Indonesians had expected that they wouldn't be able to achieve their objectives that quickly. While the fact that Parpaldia concentrated their industry made the job easier, it would still take a number of sorties to cripple Esthirant's industrial capabilities.

Pandora Greater Magic Principality, March 11th, 1640

Vandorf

Two men sat across each other in a meeting room within the Pandoran capital city. They were the representatives of Pandora and Parpaldia respectively.

"...The Parpaldian Empire wants us to join the war against the Eastern Coalition?" The Pandoran representative said to confirm his counterpart's request.

"Indeed, we have found that the coalition has mounted a surprisingly stiff resistance and so, we'd like your country to join the war to aid us in this victory." The Parpaldian man confirmed.

For the Pandoran representative, the Parpaldian Empire is clearly downplaying the situation of the war. While anti-Parpaldian sentiments ran high in Pandora, he played along to dig deeper into Parpaldia's intentions

"What does our country stand to gain from this?" He asked the Parpaldian representative.

"As our ally, your country's involvement to our victory will certainly be rewarded greatly. His majesty will certainly allow for more generous technology transfers and other deals that will benefit your nation's prosperity." The Parpaldian representative explained.

The Pandoran man thought for a moment, "That is a very enticing deal you have made.."

"So that means.." The Parpaldian man got up as his expression brightened.

"..But we refuse!" The Pandoran man said, slamming the door of excitement from the Parpaldian.

The Parpaldian representative is left in utter shocked, stunned by his counterpart's response, "B-But why..? We're offering a generous reward for a simple aid!"

The Pandoran man cleared his throat, "You see.. Your nation's offer seems rather enticing, but we believe it is not up to our interest to aid you in the war. Our national resources are simply too focused dealing with other problems."

"What other problems? Our countries are supposed to be allies, right?"

"Well yes, but actually no. I had thought you have already learned of the terms of our alliance, but I guess not. It's nothing personal, but the alliance treaty does not require us to join your wars."

The Parpaldian representative finally gave up, "If that's the case.. Then perhaps we can negotiate on a supply of provisions?"

The Pandoran man nodded, "That seems more reasonable."

Thus the meeting between the two representatives continued as they agreed on some terms and deals. They would eventually reach an agreement, although it was one that fell short of Parpaldia's hopes. Regardless of this, at the very least they weren't left completely alone in the war.

4