Chapter 37 – Esthirant Naval Battle 1
183 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Parpaldian Empire, March 10th, 1640

Imperial Navy Base, Urvol

The city of Urvol is a major city in the southern coast of Parpaldia. It is a city with a smaller population and wealth than Esthirant but acts as an important base of operations for any military operations to the south west. In this city, there is a naval base belonging to the Parpaldian Imperial Navy and the harbour is filled with a fleet of Parpaldian warships belonging to the 1st and 2nd Western Fleet.

Admiral Balus is a personnel stationed in this naval base and commanded the 1st Western Fleet. Currently, Balus is walking through the hallways of the naval base as he looked at the warships from the windows. It's a magnificent sight of ship of the lines, the biggest ships in the 3rd Civilization Areas and its surrounding areas, as expected of the Great power that is the Parpaldian Empire.

As he kept walking, an officer would approach him with speed as he made his way through the rubbles, "Admiral, one of our scouting fleets has spotted an enemy fleet coming from Altaras!"

The news that an Indonesian fleet is heading towards the southern coasts of Parpaldia is undeniably urgent. Balus knew how much importance this enemy fleet is and went to act swiftly, "Get the 1st and 2nd Eastern Fleet to depart and intercept the enemy! We need all ships available to prevent them from reaching our southern cities!"

The 1st and 2nd Western Fleet are the entire naval fleets usually tasked with enforcing the Empire's interests in the West. After the defeat in Sios, they were stationed in the port city of Urvol, which is not too far from Esthirant. The locations they were stationed in allowed for them to quickly intercept any detected enemy fleets coming from Altaras and towards Esthirant.

"Yes, sir!" The officer answered as he went back to relay the order.

Soon, one by one, every warships of the 1st and 2nd Fleet that were docked started to depart. Each one were ship of the lines that were rated according to the amount of guns they have and they were bigger than any ordinary schooner or sloop. As they entered the open ocean, the ship of the lines began to line up in a formation expected of a ship of the line. As they departed to defend the Empire from a coalition attack, they had made every preparations possible and are prepared to destroy this enemy fleet.

At the same time, 2 more Parpaldian fleets departed from another city to the west to intercept the very same enemy fleet.

The Ocean, South of Esthirant and North of Altaras

Indonesian Naval Squadron

An Indonesian squadron of 1 Mogami-class, 2 FREMM, 1 Martadinata-class, and 1 Maestrale-class frigates made their way towards the southern shores of Esthirant. Their task is to assist in the destruction of Parpaldia's naval capabilities in the South, thus preventing any possible Parpaldian attack on Sios, Altaras, and Rodenius. Aside from this, there were other squadrons tasked to do the same in other parts of Parpaldia's southern coast.

KRI Tirtayasa, the sole Mogami-class in this squadron is the flagship of this Indonesian squadron and led by Laksamana Pertama (Commodore) Bambang, who is currently inside the bridge of the Japanese Frigate.

As he looked at the endless ocean from the bridge, an officer came up to him with a report, "Sir, we've spotted the enemy consisting of approximately 64 ships coming from the north west and an additional 68 ships from our north east. We've also spotted around 80 enemy air units coming towards us."

Bambang quickly calculated the amount of ships and understood its danger, "That means they have 132 ships in total.." He said as he grit his teeth, "Do we have enough missiles to sink them all and shoot down the enemy air units?" He asked his officer.

"No, sir. However, I think we can take care of the enemy air units." The officer responded.

Considering that every ship present aside from the Italian-made FREMM frigates doesn't carry VLS to launch missiles from, it means that the amount of missiles the Indonesians could launch would be severely limited. Even then, the FREMM only had up to 16 missiles, which is not enough to take down an enemy with 132 ships. While it would be suitable for them to sink the entire enemy fleets from an extremely long distance, such a convenience is not an option.

Bambang then made his decision, "Alright, get the enemy fleet in our north west into the range of our guns and shoot down those wyverns with everything we have. Also, call for air support to deal with the other enemy fleet on the north east."

As such, the Indonesians began to quickly close in towards the 4 fleets that came to intercept them. They had no choice but to use everything they had in their disposal.

Parpaldian Wyvern Squadrons, 50km south east of 1st and 2nd Western Fleet

A formation of 70 Wyvern Lords and 10 Wyvern Overlords flew at an altitude of around 3,000m. Among them is Dragon Knight commander Dyros, who leads one of the 7 Wyvern Lord squadrons out of the 8 total Wyvern squadrons that took off for this engagement. It had been some time and he hasn't seen any enemy fleet, but he knew that there should be one.

He kept his focus and looked around for any sights of an enemy fleet. However, what he soon detects is not a ship but a light that flew towards his direction. He immediately knew what those lights were and he sensed danger as he had saw what the Indonesian aircrafts released during the Battle of Jin-Hark.

"Break! Break!" He ordered.

With its agility, which is considered second to the Wyvern Overlords and superior over the normal wyverns, Dyros' squadron of Wyvern Lords alongside the other squadron of wyverns broke from its formation and spread out. However, it was futile as the Indonesian air-to-air missiles changed its directions to hit its targets.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

The missiles came like an endless barrage and the wyverns were killed one-by-one, including Dyros who was unable to avoid them. The hell that was modern anti-air warfare continued for a while until the wyvern squadrons, which now consisted of around 40 Wyvern Lords, finally spotted the enemy fleet consisting of 5 ships. With a loss of command, the Parpaldian wyverns decided to dive and attack the enemy ships. However, what came at them are the Close-In Weapon Systems and main guns of the Indonesian ships.

'BRRRRRRT!'

'BANG! BANG! BANG!"

With all of their might, the Indonesians fired everything they had. Oerlikon Millennium and DARDO CIWS fired alongside the 76mm and 127mm guns of the Indonesian ships and their effect is devastating. The barrage of bullets and shells pierced through the scales of the wyverns which were unable to do anything against them which eventually led to them falling from the sky like flies.

As the guns fell silent, all 8 Wyvern squadrons were shot down and none were able to even land a hit on the enemy ships. It was like a massacre, but it was simply a fight between a nation with modern technology against a nation still in the Victorian era.

Parpaldian 1st Western Fleet

The 2 Parpaldian fleets sailed side-by-side as they went to intercept the enemy. The Parpaldian 1st Western Fleet is led by its flagship, the Flare, which is a 150-gun Ship of the Line. Truly a marvel of Parpaldian engineering as it had more guns than even the biggest ship of the line on Earth. Additionally, the 1st Western Fleet also had one of the two state-of-the-art Wyvern Carriers, Veronia, which is capable of launching Parpaldia's strongest wyvern, the Wyvern Overlords. There is also the 2nd Western Fleet that sailed alongside it, which is commanded by Admiral Arkaon on his flagship, the Dios. Similar to the Flare, the Dios is a 150-gun ship of the line.

Admiral Balus stood on the quarterdeck of the Dios, the very ship he commanded and took a spyglass before looking through it to search for any enemy fleet. The combined fleet looked impressive enough and it looked like everything will never go wrong, however Balus knew that anything that can go wrong will go wrong but he's confident that the 2 Western fleets plus the additional 1st Southern Fleet and 2nd Northern Fleet might be formidable in the face of the enemy force.

However, there was one thing that had bothered him. The fleet had lost contact with the 8 wyvern squadrons they had sent to intercept the enemy and as far as their magic radar would tell them, the squadrons had disappeared rather quickly. It's an odd event, especially since they had 10 Wyvern Overlords with them, which were considered to be the king of the skies in the 3rd Civilization Area.

"Did they really get taken down by the enemy?" He thought to himself.

80 wyverns were a fairly sizeable number for a strike force and should be able to deal some damage to an enemy, especially with a Wyvern Overlord. But since they were gone, Balus knew that the remaining 20 aren't enough to strike at the enemy.

As he kept looking at his spyglass, he could see 5 lights followed by 5 more coming from the horizon. It came from their south east, so it must have come from the enemy. But what is it and is it really approaching the fleet? Balus pondered about it in his mind until he realizes that its indeed coming for the fleet and the others also had noticed as well.

Instinctively, he ordered, "Spread out and send out the wyverns! It's an enemy attack!"

The 1st Western Fleet, which has been in a line formation began to break and spread out, followed by the 2nd Western Fleet after Arkaon also had understood the danger of the mysterious light. The combined fleet also began firing their anti-air guns which were simply machine guns put onto the decks of the warships.

'BRRRRRRT'

The anti-air guns kept firing at their targets, trying to shoot down the lights. However, the maneuver seemed useless as the missiles slowly adjusted its flight direction to hit the slow and bulky ship of the lines with high its high top speeds. As the missiles approached ever closer, Balus could see one of the missiles hitting a nearby ship of the line, the Kamio, on the bow.

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

'BOOM!'

All 5 missiles hit their targets and instantly sunk 5 warships with a single hit, a feat once thought to be impossible as cannons usually need to hit their targets a lot of times before it sinks it. Everyone looked in shock but there is simply not enough time for them to react as another wave of 5 missiles sink 5 more ships, sinking 10 ships in total with only 2 strokes.

"What the hell were those?!" A crewman cried out in disbelief.

Such a reaction is understandable as the Indonesian missiles completely went against the understood logic of naval battles they knew so well. All they were taught about were ships equipped with large caliber guns going toe-to-toe with each other but these missiles attacked them from long ranges and they couldn't do anything about it.

"Enemy fleet spotted!" Another crewman shouted out.

Recovering from the shock, Balus quickly extended his spyglass and looked through it. There, he could see 5 grey ships appearing from the horizon. They seemed to be made out of metal and its design philosophy went against what is considered normal in the Empire. The ships looked similar to the destroyers from Mu and Mirishial, but for such a firepower and technology that it had displayed, the ships only had one gun.

"A single gun? There's no way they managed to sink 10 ships with just a single gun.." Balus muttered in suspicion.

There's no way those ships were able to take out 80 wyverns and 10 ship of the lines with just a single cannon that quickly. It was something that shouldn't happen, yet it did. The lights that came at them seemed to be guided and extremely fast, which greatly concerned him. Perhaps the enemy had something else up their sleeves? It's certainly something that he thought about.

Balus quickly shook off those suspicion and decided to focus on the battle, "Full speed ahead!"

As the order was relayed, the ring-like objects on the stern of the ship is activated and the green gem in the ring began to glow. The air pressure began to change and wind is funneled through the ring, which pushed the ship to its maximum speeds of 11 knots. Other ship of the lines which were equipped with a steam engine also had it turned on as piles of red gems were shoveled into the firebox.

4