Chapter Side Story 02 – Hero’s Side
168 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I am Edward. They call me the Hero, but really, I am just myself, nobody more, nobody less.

At least that's what my mom had taught me. That, and I am her son.

To be honest, I wished that she wouldn't emphasize that so much. I really love my mom, but when she emphasizes that I am her son, it kinda hurts.

I mean, mom's the most beautiful woman in the entire world!

She's always looked like a little girl, but that's always added to her charm, I think. Even if she didn't like it. I kept trying to tell her that it was something I loved about her, but she'd only give me a wry smile.

I know she wanted a body like Auntie Laura, but I preferred it this way.

If only...if only she'd look at me a little differently.

I've never been able to say it though. Mom was really scary when she got angry, though she was really cute when she was only a little angry.

That's basically what I always thought when I was growing up, and when that bishop person came to say that I was the Hero, while mom hated it and tried to hurt her, I thought that it was the chance to prove myself!

I thought, maybe if I became someone more amazing than anyone else in the world, I could make mom swoon for me!

And as an added bonus, I could deal with the people who had hurt mom. Well, I said that, but there were only two, really.

I felt a little sorry for her, as she didn't mean to hurt anyone, but the bishop woman was going to be the first.

She came with me, Laura, and Mitch along with Laura's army, but the first night, she disappeared. I asked Laura and Mitch the next day, but they didn't know anything. At least that's what they said, but I wasn't too sure.

We travelled west, fighting the demon army's scouts here and there as we picked up more people for Laura's army.

The further we went, the more we fought, eventually breaking through several major divisions of the demon's armies, we made it to Altrea.

For our army, it was a rest stop before continuing the campaign, but for me, it was my main goal.

Mom didn't like talking about it, but she did let it slip that the king had kidnapped and raped her when she was young. Adding that to the bishop's oracle, it was obvious that the king was my father, but I didn't care. He was the source of mom's greatest suffering, so when I managed to reach Altrea, I hunted him down for mom's sake.

When I killed him in the audience chamber, Laura, Mitch, and a few others showed up with bags over their shoulders and promptly killed all the other witnesses, leaving only the queen and prince alive, then opened the bags.

The bodies of demon soldiers came out.

It seemed like they had planned this for a long time. It was heartwarming to think that they held the same thoughts as I did.

Laura asked me what I wanted from the queen and prince, but for me, I was only here for the king.

With that, she bound and gagged the two and put them in bags before carrying them out.

When I asked what she did, she told me that she'd had them sent far away so that they could live out their lives in obscurity. It wasn't like they had anything to do with the king's crimes.

I wasn't entirely certain if she was telling me the truth, but it lightened my heart, and I decided to believe her.

After a few more battles, I was able to talk to a high level commander, and we were able to make up a peace treaty.

It seemed like he was really surprised by the fact, and was originally prepared to die with his troops when he started the invasion.

For me though, who grew up with mom's stories, that was a given. While her stories sometimes had demons as evil warmongers, she also had plenty of stories where the demons were the good guys, or were simply misunderstood, and weren't really any different from humans.

While many of the others were pretty hesitant about it, the fact of the matter was that I wasn't going to keep fighting if I thought that a peace treaty was possible. Laura and Mitch stood with me on that, having grown up with mom's stories too.

It was obvious that the others didn't like their chances without the three of us, so they accepted to make peace with the demons.

While the next while ended up being much more difficult than the war, I thought it was worth it. Both sides ended up booming once trade started, and it was only a matter of time before the races started to mingle.

I wouldn't have been able to do it without mom though. She was usually gone doing her own thing, but whenever I needed her the most, she'd always show up somehow. It was really comforting to know that she had my back like that, but it was also a little scary. How did she know when I was in over my head? Was it motherly instincts?

Mom had long stopped showing her face around people, but she was still as beautiful as she had ever been. It seemed like the oracle about the gods giving her eternal youth was true.

I had tried to propose to mom a few times, but she always brushed it off, saying that it was fine practising on her, but I should wait until I at least I find someone I loved.

Every time she said that, it broke my heart a little, but I wondered if she really didn't know or not.

Laura had been bugging me about getting married as well, though I defended myself by saying that she wasn't married either, yet she was almost as old as mom. To my surprise, she got married a year later!

I did eventually find a woman I could love and married her, but even she figured out that I loved mom more than her, and would pout about it in private sometimes.

Well, it seemed that she went to complain about it to the others as well, and sometimes mom or Laura would come and hit me and lecture me about it.

Even if she wasn't my number one woman, it wasn't like I treated her poorly, and eventually we were blessed with a cute little daughter.

Her amber eyes looked just like mom's and were definitely the most beautiful in the world.

7