1-11 – Second Class Evolution
1.8k 3 71
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*>System message: Commencing class evolution.* 

 

The buildings and players around her slowly faded away to reveal a different landscape.

The blue sky was crystal clear, and the lush green grass spread out in all directions with no obstructions as far as the eye could see. There was no wind and the temperature and humidity were ideal for humans.

This was the first "real" class evolution quest. Although the surroundings weren't too different from before, this was indeed a separate "dimension" - a separate space for the sole purpose of completing the quest. The first one, which Jisha had done with Abandoned Snow, couldn't be labeled as more than a sneak peek for class evolution quests. All class evolution quests in the future would be more similar to this one. 

 

*>Evolution requirements: Using Ranged+ Pellets, strike the target at least 5/10 times.*

*>Dispensing quest items:*

*>Ranged+ Pellet: 10* 

 

These quests usually didn't require the player to use their personal items. The system was generous enough to give her extra ammo to complete the task.

A target appeared roughly 5 metron away. It appeared to be a standard modern archery target. As a ranged weapon fanatic, she was obviously familiar with this. It was 122 centimetron in diameter with the center being 130 centimetron off the ground. The face of the target was also tilted at a 15 degree angle. In a standard competition, the yellow center represented 10 points, and each ring outside of it was worth 1 less point.

*Ahh... I remember this. It's been a while. Hmm... The rules only say I need to hit the target, but they don't specify how.*

As a beginner in her past life, she completed this quest how most people would and received a normal reward. However, after experiencing many class evolution quests, Jisha knew that there would always be bonus opportunities hidden within the temporary dimension. Exploiting loopholes in the rules and imposing restrictions on yourself were the most common ways to achieve these bonuses.

The first thing she tried was moving closer. This was a fundamental rule to all ranged attacks: the closer you were to your target, the easier it was to hit. From the greenest newbie to the Gun Swap Goddess herself, this rule remained ironclad. Even though the target was only 5 metron away, moving closer would still exponentially increase the odds of success.

However, an invisible barrier rendered her attempt useless.

*Well, that's to be expected. Let's see...* 

 

*>Skill: Target Toss*

*>Description: Throw an item at the system's designated target.*

*>Rank: Level 1, Common*

*>Cooldown: 3 seconds* 

 

*I don't think I'll be using this.*

It was a skill she'd been using once in a while until now, but it was unlikely for her to achieve the bonus if she used it. It was a very useful skill for new players; the system would move your body for you, throwing an item with pinpoint precision. However, this simplified the quest immensely.

*I'll toss them manually and go for the bullseye every time. I'll definitely score over 100% like that.*

With a pellet in her hand, Jisha wound up her throw like a professional pitcher and let loose at a target that was virtually right next to her.

A satisfying *ding* resounded as the pellet struck the bulls-eye, and the target moved 5 metron back. 

 

*>11%* 

 

*Hm... Seems to be working. Let's continue.*

Hitting a 1.2 metron-wide target from 10 metron was still a piece of cake.

*Ding!*

Bullseye. 

 

*>22%* 

 

The target moved to 15 metron.

*Ding!*

Another one. 

 

*>33%* 

 

20 metron.

*Ding!*

Like a machine, Jisha continued striking the bulls-eye.

...

Finally, at 35 metron, she made a mistake.

*Whoops. That's a 9.*

She knew it before the projectile even landed. But...

*Ding!* 

 

*>77%* 

 

*Huh? Still +11%?*

If there were 10 targets to hit and the maximum score was 100, this meant each target gave 10 points. The extra percentage point she was receiving was confirmation that she was en route to achieving the bonus.

Until now, she had assumed that hitting the bulls-eye with manual throws was the requirement for a bonus point, but apparently that wasn't the case.

*Looks like I just have to not use Target Toss. That's a relief, but I'm still going to try my best!*

The pressure was off, but Jisha was still going to push herself to the limit. This was the key to sharpening your skills!

40 metron.

*Ding!*

*Bullseye.* 

 

*>88%* 

 

45 metron.

*Ding!*

*9.* 

 

*>99%* 

 

50 metron; the finale.

*Ding!*

*... 8.*

 

*>110%* 

 

Even though the system aided the launch of pellets, Jisha was only slightly less accurate than world-class archers with her arms. Yet, she still let out a dissatisfied sigh. 

 

*>System message: Quest complete.*

*>Minimum Tribulation threshold: 50%*

*>Tribulation score: 110%*

*>Evolution successful!* 

 

*>Dispensing quest rewards:*

*>Wooden Sling: 1*

*>Ranged+ Pellet: 50* 

 

*>Quest Bonus achieved!*

*>Dispensing Bonus rewards:*

*>+100 Copper*

*>Golden Sling: 1*

*>Ranged+ Pellet: 50* 

 

With a massive system message flooding her HUD, Jisha was transported back to Evon Hamlet as her avatar wrapped itself in a white glow. 

 

*>Coin Pouch*

*>Bronzium: 4*

*>Copper: 177* 

 

*Looks like the system was generous enough to refund my quest fee with the bonus completion. Also... I wonder what this Golden Sling does?*

In the past, Jisha didn't complete the bonus and only received the Wooden Sling. She had never owned a Golden Sling before.

 

*>Name: Golden Sling*

*>Type: Weapon*

*>Class Restriction: Ranged-branch*

*>Description: Have you considered becoming a professional pitcher?*

*>Rating: Level 5, Epic*

*>Abilities:*

*>Passive: +50 ATK, -50% AS while equipped.*

*>Targeted Sling: Sling a projectile at the system's designated target. Cooldown: 8 seconds.* 

 

*That's pretty good.*

Jisha was impressed by its stats. In comparison, the Wooden Sling was quite a bit weaker. 

 

*>Name: Wooden Sling*

*>Type: Weapon*

*>Class Restriction: None*

*>Description: Slingshot's standard weapon.*

*>Rating: Level 5, Common*

*>Abilities:

*>Passive: +33 ATK, -67% AS while equipped.*

*>Targeted Sling: Sling a projectile at the system's designated target. Cooldown: 10 seconds.* 

 

The abbreviation AS stood for Attack Speed, and it was a hidden stat until level 5. By default, AS was 1, which meant that players could fire one "basic attack" per second. In a melee player's case, it was one swing of the stick. In a ranged player's case, it was one pellet toss.

This was her status screen thus far: 

 

*>Name: Fae Sol*

*>Class: Slingshot*

*Level: 5*

*>HP: 107*

*>MP: 107*

*>AD: 61 (11 + 50)*

*>AP: 53*

*>AR: 0*

*>MR: 0*

*>AS: 0.5 (1 - 50%)* 

 

By equipping the Golden Sling, Jisha's attack power rose from 11 to 61. Though she could only fire it once every two seconds, her overall damage output increased by over three times.

Meanwhile, a standard Wooden Sling increased attack power from 11 to 44, and it could only be fired once every 3 seconds. This was less than double the base damage per second (DPS).

Even without consulting the ratings, it was obvious which weapon was superior.

Jisha smiled. Her efficiency had increased immensely.

Now, it was time to wait for Hearth Ember's arrival. She looked around her, and... she'd somehow become the center of attention.

"What is that?"

"She leveled up, probably."

"No! I played the beta, and that type of light means she's completed a class evolution quest. Look, she's level 5!"

"Lucky."

*Uh...*

The crowd wouldn't stop murmuring their opinions on her, positive or negative. She didn't mind, but she wasn't expecting so much attention already...

*Eh, whatever. Where's Ember anyway?*

If nearly everyone at Evon noticed her, Hearth Ember likely would have as well. However, the fiery red hair was absent from the crowd.

*Oh?*

A DM from Hearth Ember had lit up her notifications - it was sent several minutes ago. During a class evolution quest, contact with the outside world was cut off. So, Jisha only noticed this now.

*>Hearth Ember: We found a player out here who said he needed help with a special dungeon. Me and Snow are gonna help him out. I don't know how long it'll take, so you don't have to wait for me at Evon.*

*Helping a stranger for potentially no reward? Sounds like Ember.*

*>Fae Sol: Alright. I've got a quest of my own I need to get done, too, so this works out.*

Jisha was glad she was *finally* able to continue the first quest she'd received since spawning. 

 

*>Quest Information:*

*>Name: Grave Robbery*

*>Description: The adopted daughter of the late Shahar has given you the key to a certain tombstone. Open it to see what's inside.*

*>Rating: F* 

 

Building camaraderie with Hearth Ember was undoubtedly important, but the item this quest would dispense was arguably more so. The good news was that meeting Hearth Ember wasn't an urgent matter. Also, there was an absolute 0% chance of someone else stealing this "Grave Robbery" quest.

Though there were a couple hiccups in the road, nothing had truly gone haywire yet.

*Let's hope it stays that way.*

 


 

"Thank you so much for helping out... I spawned in the wrong hamlet, so I guess I was separated from my friends. When I found this dungeon and it said it required at least 3 players, I had no idea how to get my friends there. Why doesn't this game have a coordinate system? What kind of BS is that?"

Hearth Ember giggled as she watched the player called "Kenshi" ramble on about his misgivings.

"Trust me, I'm all too familiar with your predicament," she said as she glanced at Abandoned Snow.

"Hm?" Abandoned Snow tilted her head in confusion.

*She still doesn't know what she did, huh?*

Hearth Ember wanted to scold her little sister again, but how could she bring herself to when she saw that cute face?

"But," she continued, "it looks like you've done a decent job for yourself so far. Can your friends say the same?"

Hearth Ember was referring to Kenshi's level: 4. She and Abandoned Snow were level 3, so a level 4 player was definitely on the high end right now. Perhaps it was because he had nothing else to do?

"I... guess. Solo XP has definitely been treating me well. But I didn't play the beta, so I don't really know what I'm doing out here. Also, it's a bit lonely, you know?"

Hearth Ember nodded in agreement.

The two hit it off extremely well. Since they were about to tackle a dungeon together, this was a fantastic sign. Even small interactions like this would foreshadow the upcoming dungeon experience. A tense atmosphere beforehand would undoubtedly lead to stress, whereas the current lighthearted atmosphere would lead to an enjoyable adventure.

"Ah, that's right. What's this dungeon like?" Hearth Ember asked. Of all the things they'd discussed so far, they'd kept skirting by the most important subject.

Kenshi's expression darkened slightly.

"Honestly, I'm not sure if you'll be willing to do it when we get there. It's a bit... spooky."

"Eh?" Abandoned Snow jumped.

"Frei, don't worry, don't worry. Kenshi, what do you mean, exactly?"

"Well... From the outside, it looks like a cemetery. I don't know how difficult it's going to be, but it looks like it's going to be hard. We'll probably die at least once."

Abandoned Snow shivered. Cemetery? Ghosts? Scary!

"But don't worry," Kenshi continued, "It's possible that some my friends will show up to help. The dungeon's made for *at least* three people, but it didn't specify a maximum."

"Ah, Frei, did you hear that? Big Sis Emmi and Big Bro Ken will help you, okay? There's no need to be scared."

"Big Bro Ken...?" Kenshi hesitantly said.

"Yeah, Frei here feels more comfortable when you call yourself her brother or sister. So for now, you can be Big Bro Ken, haha."

"Yeah, hahaha..." Kenshi gave a strained laugh. "Anyway, check it out, this is a sign we're getting closer." He pointed to their surroundings that were progressively getting darker and denser.

The trees became more "spooky"-looking as vines covered more and more of them. The hue of the sky shifted to add a hint of purple. A thin haze obscured visibility as well. It was truly strange; the only thing they'd done was walk a couple of minutes, but it seemed like they were in a completely different part of the world.

"It's over there," Kenshi said as he pointed past the dense trees. A wall of vines was visible on the other side.

"Are you two ready?"

"Nnnn..."

"Frei, it'll be fine, okay? If you can do it, you can get stronger, and you can run faster!"

"Okay!" Abandoned Snow's expression did a complete 180.

Kenshi was a bit dumbfounded when he saw this.

"It was really that easy to convince her?" he asked.

"Yeah... Don't ask, haha."

"Well, alright. Let's go."

The three players crept closer and closer to the wall of vines. And when they came out the other side of the trees, a grand entrance gate came into view. It, along with the wall of vines, was at least 10 metron tall. Kenshi wasn't lying when he said it was spooky. The previously confident Abandoned Snow became hypersensitive once again.

Kenshi pushed the grand gate open with ease - it was unlocked.

"Let's go."

Upon entry, the three players received the same system notification.

*>System warning: Now entering a Fixed Field.*

"Fixed field? What kind of dungeon is that?" Hearth Ember asked. As a beta player, she knew that there was a lot about Synergy that had yet to be explored. This "Fixed Field" was something she had never seen before.

"Check out my level," Kenshi said.

"Oh..."

The three players were now all level 3.

"It 'fixes' all of our levels to be the same as the lowest player's."

"Interesting."

The gates creaked shut behind them, and Kenshi signaled for them to walk forwards.

This cemetery was littered with extremely tall tombstones. Even the shortest ones were about 5 metron high. Unlike a normal cemetery that had tombstones organized in rows, these seemed to be in random locations. In some parts, they were extremely dense; it was a forest of stone trees. And in others, there was hardly anything at all.

"So, what's the clear condition for this?" Hearth Ember asked.

The three walked forwards in silence.

"... Hey, Kenshi?"

The previously amiable atmosphere dissipated as Kenshi didn't respond. What was going on?

"Kenshi...?"

Hearth Ember suddenly realized something odd. Some of the things Kenshi said didn't line up.

*"But I never played the beta..."*

*"Check out my level."*

If he'd never played the beta, how did he know what a Fixed Field was?

"Emmi-sis, I'm scared..."

"Shh, Frei, it's alright."

As Hearth Ember comforted her sister, Kenshi abruptly stopped.

"We're here," he said.

"Huh? Where?"

Hearth Ember looked around, but nothing was different. The landscape of the entire cemetery was pretty consistent, and there was nothing special about this specific location.

But she quickly realized that Kenshi wasn't addressing her.

"Haha, Mr. Arsen's done it again!"

"Nice work."

*Huh?*

One, two... five, six...?

Six other players stepped out from the forest of tombstones.

"Huh? Who do you think I am?" Kenshi said.

As if the 7 of them were telepathically linked, they simultaneously turned to look at the two girls.

The purple haze only made the situation more ominous.

Chills ran down Hearth Ember's spine, and Abandoned Snow shivered as she clutched her sister's clothes.

Something was wrong.

71