Chapter 4: Snickering Smiles in the Snow
612 6 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello everyone, I hope you've all been having a happy holiday and are going into a happy new year. 

Before we get started, I want to give a big content warning. This chapter includes active dead naming and misgendering. Be sure you're in a comfortable place before reading this chapter.

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Content Warning: This chapter includes deadnaming, misgendering, abuse, and violence. Viewer discretion is advised. Be sure to take breaks if needed and practice self care.

 

“Look we’ve made it Princess,” Mable giggled, poking her head out of the frosted canopy.

“I must say, the trek was shorter and more pleasant than our last passage,” Xenia gave a soft smile and a slight huff.

“Well, last time we were all really on edge. And that was before we met Phordata,” she chuckled. “Besides, we didn’t know how to navigate the forest at the time.”

“Quite true,” she answered with a quiet sigh as she adjusted her red and white armor. The deep red color and its golden trim seemed to suppress the bright gleam of its white highlights, further dimmed by her billowing red cape.

“Are you alright Princess? You’ve been breathing a little hard.”

“I am simply a little short of breath. I have not had the time to keep up my usual training. The focus on my witchcraft has been quite the distraction,” she admitted.

“You don’t think what happened to Saya is happening to you, do you?” Mable frowned.

“You mean how Saya lost her skill and ability to wield a blade?” Mable nodded. “You can rest assured, that is not the case. Although I have not been doing my intensive training, I have still been training, and sparring with Aria on occasion. I still know my way around the blade quite well. I am merely a little out of shape.”

“You’re certain?” Mable looked at her concernedly.

“Yes, I spoke to Phordata about it not long ago. She said that Saya was a unique case tied to her finding herself. As for myself, I am comfortable as a knight. Besides, I would have shown degeneration in my abilities by now. That said...” her voice trailed off, her gaze catching a familiar glint on the grip of her sword. Her lax grip resting upon it stirring the words of her instructors.

“Princess?”

“Nay, tis nothing. Let us proceed,” she said with a dignified stride as she pressed forward, Mable hesitantly following behind her as they crossed the quiet rolling hills of snow.

“Oh, look Xenia,” Mable pointed to a nearby hill to their left. “Do you recognize that tree?”

“Not particularly.”

“That’s the last place where we camped. That painting that Aria hung in their room, the one Saya gave her that night, I believe she painted it under that tree,” she said enthusiastically.

“Is that so,” Xenia smiled. “You certainly have a good memory.”

“Elves like myself are well known for our elaborate memory,” her ears giving and enthusiastic twitch. “Besides, Aria was rather proud of it when she put it up.”

“Heh, Elves are good with memory, huh?” a deep gravelly voice intruded, startling the two. “Then I wonder, do you remember me?” the voice chortled from the opposite side of the path. A suave looking man emerged, his stylized auburn hair curling toward his right ear as it bounced in place. He wore a deep blue jacket with a white tunic underneath, complete with a face that one could mistake for that of a nobleman under the right circumstances. Mable’s eyes grew wide and frightful as she looked upon him.

 “Mable?”

“You. You were there that night, in the forest. You’re one of the bandits that ambushed us when they attacked the camp. They were looking for your sister!” Mable shook as she took a step back.

“One of the bandits!?” Xenia bit her lip as she considered the misfortune. Had they really been pursuing them this far? Camping here outside the forest, awaiting their return? Why take such exhausting measures?

“Mercenary. I’m a mercenary,” his eye twitched. “I explained that to you before, you wench! We aren’t anywhere near some useless louts who have to stakeout some worthless road!”

“Funny, it seems that is precisely what you are doing right now,” Xenia returned his intrepid stare with her fierce and determined one as she reached for her sword.

“You think yourself witty don’t you, oh Princess,” the mercenary laughed. “My name is...”

“I do not care about your name,” she barked. “You will either leave or taste my blade,” she declared as she unsheathed her sword.

The mercenary sighed. And then he chuckled. Then finally he began to laugh. Xenia’s eyes gave way to confusion as he laughed. Had he given into madness? Why? “I do apologize. It’s just too funny. You’re just as arrogant as all those other worthless knights I’ve fought over the years. You think you’re so refined and cool headed, but in your arrogance, you failed to notice that you’re outnumbered,” he grinned.

As his last words rang in her ears, she immediately spun around to observe her surroundings. She had been a fool to believe he was alone. He had allies on that night too after all. As she feared, during their dispute several other mercenaries had emerged, appearing from the slopes around them, each with an excited and hungry look in their eye, all staring at her with rampant bloodlust.

“Well boys. No matter who gets the kill, we’ll all get to share the mighty tale of how we took down the great captain of the Lumina Knights, this putrid traitor!” he laughed. “But only one of us gets the joy of doing her in. And that’s for sure gonna be me!” he declared as he charged at her, swinging his sword down upon her. Xenia was swift in her rebuttal, blocking his blade and anchoring her sword with her left arm.

The two stood pinned as the other mercenaries approached from behind. In her mind she gave a quiet compliment, honoring the strategy of such a two-pronged attack. However, she had an answer to such a predicament. She quickly leaned to her right, pulling her arm in, allowing the mercenary to slide along her blade, much to his surprise. With grace and agility she stepped behind him, giving a solid kick to his back, the mercenary tumbling into his allies.

As he stumbled back to his feet, she quickly analyzed the party of mercenaries before her. There was about seven of them. Had they surrounded her as they intended, it would be difficult to accommodate their number, but now that she faced all of them down on one side, she had much greater control. Perhaps even an advantage. She grinned. Perhaps they weren’t as witty as she gave them credit for, placing so many of their men on one side, especially paired with such eagerness. Such a number paired with such bloodlust invited confusion and impulsiveness, likely to result in a frenzy of attacks. While it would be dangerous to her...

She had been informed by Fiona about such behavior from them before, when they were still traveling in their forsaken quest to slay Phordata. At the time they outnumbered her knights and still fell to disorganization, and all she had to do was orchestrate such pandemonium again. She steadied herself, taking position as she readied for their onslaught. The suave mercenary’s face twisted something foul as four of the mercenaries charged forward. Their stances were dissimilar, their tempo uneven, and their attacks unruly. This would be easy.

She sidestepped the first hit and kneeled into her attacker. As the second hit came in, she thrusted into the first assailant, forcing him to take the blow, an axe gouging into his arm. It was quite the deep wound, taking one down. The third assailant hardly had time to hesitate from the sudden chaos, but hesitate he did, and just in time for her to punch him into his fourth panicking ally. The result of their uneven stances causing them to fall over each other. One was stabbed by the another’s blade, wailing on the ground in pain. The two-remaining hesitated, but did not falter, picking up the fallen weapons and doubling up on the assault, shouting in anger and disgust. Two targets made for less chaos to turn back on her targets, but that also made them easier to predict.

Another strike came down, a sword this time, she parried it and pivoted herself around his sword, slashing at his back in the process. The fourth one looked on in horror as it began to dawn on him the true nature of her skill. Another fierce stab, and he too was on the ground bleeding. Xenia huffed as she stood over the wailing bodies of her enemies, cursing her lack of training for her harsh breath. To be tired from such simple movements was disappointing, and she still had three more to go. She blinked as she processed the oddity of that. Three left and not an attack from any of them? She looked at the three, two larger men and the suave mercenary who boasted his success, and he was...grinning?

“Impressive,” he chuckled. “It’s no wonder you’ve been able to kick our ass so handily. Unfortunately for you, I was watching, both this time and last. Our mistake was letting our numbers go to our head,” he chortled as Xenia grimaced. “We won’t make that mistake again.”

She processed what this meant, their quiet analysis carefully observed her while calming their excitement for battle. They watched their allies get slaughtered, and they were all the more prepared for it. The suave merc threw his head to the side, prompting the four injured mercenaries to get up, and with a nod, they began to run, or at least attempted as they hobbled off. Xenia gripped her sword, knowing that pursuing them was pointless. She had to deal with these three, here and now.

The three began their assault, of the two larger men, one wielded an axe and the other a large broad sword. Parrying one would be difficult enough, much less both. They lifted their arms in sync, preparing to deliver an attack she had no hope to defend, so dodging it was. She moved to sidestep to the right, missing the attack, but in her weariness, the steps were shallow and small. She avoided them, but not by much, and unfortunately, the third, the suave merc, was lying in wait, poised to attack, as he lunged forward at the frustrated Xenia.

Had she remained in better shape, she’d most certainly of been able to parry and strike him down, but she was now out of breath and continuing to wane. The merc’s blade came only just a little short of finding its mark, the fierce stab just barely grazing her cheek as she punched him in the gut.

The merc coughed and heaved, but then he grinned. “Arrogant bitch,” he chuckled. Xenia’s eyes widened as she realized their plan, the two larger men having had enough time to recover and turn around to strike. She attempted to shield herself, the first blow thrust her to the ground. Yet second blow never connected. Xenia and two of the mercs looked up as they heard a blood curdling scream. The axe wielder released a scream as furious as the flame blazing across his body.

“Fuck, I forgot about the elf!” the suave merc growled, turning his glare to Mable. The girl squinted through her panting, trading a nod with Xenia. The knight wasted no time in recovering and stabbed upward into the shoulder of the other larger mercenary, who released another scream as his sword fell to the ground.

“Shit,” the suave merc spat.

“Retreat!” another voice called out, much to Xenia and Mable’s surprise. “Leave them to the others. Your deaths are undesirable,” it instructed. The two larger mercenaries cringed in pain, but obeyed nonetheless.

“This isn’t over,” the suave merc snarled as he too got up to retreat, evading Xenia’s pursuing slash.

“Curses,” Xenia gripped her hand.

“Who was that?” Mable wondered aloud. “And why could I hear their voice so clearly?”

“Well, well, if it isn’t my ignoble sister and the Kingdom’s pet,” a familiarly obnoxious voice snickered.

“That voice,” Xenia blinked as she returned her gaze up to the curving hill to her side, where the suave mercenary began. Standing atop it now, complete in his usual fluttering robe, his long silver-white hair tumbling down, was a man Xenia knew quite well. William, her elder brother, and second in line to the throne. His lanky body was concealed by vast gray cloak. He eyed her like a predator contemplating how to play with his food, complete with a malicious sneer. “William!?”

“W-what are you doing here?” Mable cringed.

“Oh me? I came here on orders from his highness, the king, out of concern for my beloved younger sister and brother,” his voice was plump with a disingenuous veneer, dripping with sadistic joy.

“Like I would believe such sugary words from your foul mouth,” Xenia glared back. “I take it those mercenaries were yours then! And I gather you were behind the attacks on us on our way here to, both in the forest and in Gelin! Am I correct!?” he chuckled quietly at her accusations.

“But why?” Mable questioned.

“My, oh my,” he grinned. “I had heard you not only failed spectacularly, but to confirm that you have also abandoned your duties,” he chuckled as Xenia grimaced. “Tsk, tsk,” he clicked his tongue as he shrugged. “What a shame to see my darling little sister fall so far from her laudable position,” his voice shook with lies. “Were you so incompetent that you not only couldn’t slay the witch, but had to become her servant? To protect our dearest brother, I suspect?”

“I...” she stammered. He was not right, but he was not entirely wrong either. She had failed, in multiple ways. She failed to carry out her father’s wishes. She had failed to slay Phordata. She had even suffered an overwhelming loss at the hands of her aunt. But above all she had failed Saya in a number of ways, a pain which stung deep within her, even if paired with such false sentiments.

“To imagine, the mighty captain of the Lumina Knights would fail so spectacularly. Once I’m done handling you, I will have to see to taking care of the other riff raff that filled out your ranks,” he grinned much to her fury. “To answer your earlier question, yes, I was behind those attacks, because truth be told, I have long since awaited removing you and your obsolete knights. It’s time I purged your unsightly mess of knights,” he grinned.

“You will not land a hand on them,” she snarled as she charged at him. As she made her way, she was once more reminded of her unusual weariness, forcing it aside as she readied her blade.

“My, my, attacking your own blood,” he snickered as his cloak began to flutter. The paces between them shrank in an instant as she charged forth, her blade primed to pin him to the cliff just a thrust behind him. Then suddenly, a loud snap rang out as Xenia shirked in pain, collapsing before Willaim.

“Xenia!” Mable exclaimed as she ran towards her. Before she could make it far another loud snap ignited the air as she too collapsed.

“W-what!?” Xenia struggled to raise herself, her body shaking from the shock.

“Like it?” William continued to snicker as he raised his right hand, throwing his cloak to the side. His hand was covered in a gauntlet, armored in bronze, ribbed with ridges that seemed to glow with energy as two tendrils reached for his back. “When I was younger, I managed to make a magitech that could harness lightning. It was groundbreaking, revolutionary, unlike even the magitech of the greatest engineers in the prosperous lands of the East. Yet Father was never quite satisfied with it for some peculiar reason. He ordered me to destroy it, but I was never one to relent so easily. A little work here, some refinement there, and I managed to make this. I like to call it my Thunder Snap. Just a snap of the fingers and... well you already feel the pain it delivers.”

“W-william!” Xenia stammered as her body shook uncontrollably. Her body felt unstable, quaking and on set ablaze. The ceaseless tingles and stings quickly went from unsettling to discomfort then wracked her with pain as it clawed her back to the ground.

“Now, dear sister, it’s time to say goodbye. Don’t worry, I’ll be certain to send you some company soon,” he smirked as he readied his hand, raising his sight to drink in the gazes of his bloodthirsty henchmen. He blinked as a chilling realization crossed him. They had been rather quiet, and now… “Where did those other fools wander off too? I would expect them to be cheering for this moment, and yet...” He glanced to the side to see what seemed to be a number of people fighting. “Damn, those knights must’ve caught wind,” he frowned. “Well, guess I’ll be the only one too savor...”

“Sister!” a voice called out, pulling William’s and Xenia’s sight further up the hill. There she stood, panting for breath as she stared terrified at the display before her. “Xenia, Mable, and… b-brother?”

“Well, it looks like I get my audience after all,” he chuckled. “Greetings dear Gilbert. I see that our Pretty Prince has become quite perverse in his absence.” Saya cringed as he used her former address, recoiling from the invisible pain.

She shook her head, throwing the pain aside for the moment. “Brother, what are you doing here?”

“Oh? I was sent here to observe the situation. Father desired I keep surveillance and see your tasks through. However, as you most certainly know, dear sister here has failed her task. I’ll be considerate of your own plight though, brother. After all, with that girlish physique, you would have had no chance to overpower a witch. But do not concern yourself, I’ll see to it that you are... taken care of,” he gave a ghastly smile as he considered the uses of such a subject. He had never had a specimen affected so thoroughly be a witch’s magic before, after all. “Now wait there, as I dispose of this wretch,” he snickered. “Yes, wait and watch my twisted brother, as I remove our treacherous sister from this life,” he sneered as he once more aimed his hand at the defiant Xenia beneath him.

“Goodbye Xenia...” he glared at her desperate angry eyes, as a vile grin formed on his lips. His fingers clenched, eager to deliver her final end. Then, suddenly he felt a sudden splash upon his arm. Before his mind could reel from the immediate series of alarms ringing through his mind there was a sharp sound, a biting cold, a pop, a heat erupted, another pop followed by more, and then a scream, William’s scream. “Wh-what…!?”

His gaze drifted back towards Saya, who stood...sternly, and yet timidly? She was crying, anguished, but her pose still delivered strong intent as her hands reached forward as if to control something. He looked down to see his gauntlet singed and seared by shooting sparks. His mind reeled as he threw his gauntlet to the ground, holding his throbbing singed arm to constrict the pain. He knew immediately what had happened. It had malfunctioned because of a sudden and sizable splash of water. The new icy frost upon it was evident of such, but where did it come from? He bored his eyes towards Saya again.

“What is the meaning of this!? Gil-!?” he snarled.

“That is not my name!” Saya cut him off, a familiar defiance filling her voice. It was almost reminiscent of Xenia confident tone.

“Wh-what!?” he blinked out of consternation. He could not comprehend what the feminine person before him said. “What are you talking about brother? That’s your...”

“No!” she yelled. The pain of those words dug into her like a nail driven in by a hammer. After months of seclusion and acceptance, she had believed herself beyond this pain, but coming face to face with it again, she struggled to hold herself together, and yet she held firm. Had Xenia’s life not been on the line… Her mind flashed back to the night they confronted her Aunt Phordata. The intense fear and pain of being rejected by those closest to her. But she refused to bend to that pain now. Her dry throat grappled with the remaining moisture in it as she tempered her words. “I am not your brother,” she fought to voice those words. “I am Saya. I am your sister. And I will not let your hurt Xenia anymore!” she declared as she formed a new sphere of water in her hands.

“How did you…?” William gasped.

“Leave her alone. Now William! O-or else!” she shook her head as she fought her nerves.

“This doesn’t make any damned sense. You don’t know a damn thing about magic or magitech, so...” he boggled. His mind reeled as a bullet of water shot out from the sphere in Saya’s grasp. He fell backwards from the force, gripping the shoulder of his aching raw arm.

“Xenia!” Saya cried as she ran towards them, the bubble falling to nothingness as she darted across the snow. Panicked and frightful, William began to run. “Brother! Please wait!” she reached out with vain hope.

“Stay away! You repulsive freak!” he snapped, stumbling back.

“B-brother...” Saya shook. “I...I...” her voice seemed on the verge of shattering as he rejected her, a tear crawling down her cheek.

“S-saya,” Xenia groaned, drawing Saya’s gaze back to her as she gave a proud encouraging smile. She nodded in turn with a smile of her own.

“Saya!?” William snapped. “Do you mean to say you’ve accepted this abhorrent form as well Xenia!?” he twitched with disgust. “What has possessed you to believe that Gil...”

“Saya!” she cut him off as she cried. “My name is Saya. I do not care if you understand brother! But I will not let you hurt either of us any longer!” she declared as another sphere of water formed before her.

He winced in pain and clutched his arm as another wave of pain shot through him, doubled by the sight of the instrument that defied him. “Damn you. I shall make you rue this day,” he cursed before running towards the sheer cliff behind him, disappearing into its shadows.

“S-Saya, I...” Xenia winced in pain.

“Quiet sister, you need healing,” Saya lamented as she began to focus, pulling moisture from the snow around her to fill her bubble of water and directing it towards her wound. Xenia shirked and gripped her hand from the pain. As she tightened her grasp, it grabbed a soft form in it, and gripped it tight. As she looked upon it, she found her hand gripping Saya’s. “It will be okay sister. I have you.”

“Saya...” Xenia mumbled as she looked at her calm kind face. “Heh, when did you become so capable?” She looked down again towards the bubble against her skin noticing a quiet glow. “Wait, what is…?”

“Oh, right, I never got to chance to tell you,” Saya chuckled.

“Tell me what?”

“We found out my proper affinity. Honey called it Radiant Droplet,” she smiled. “She said it was a result of my water and light affinities. It is apparently quite effective for healing others.”

“Heh, it seems so obvious. It is a most fitting magic for you, sister,” Xenia smiled with a meek voice. “I am so proud of you.”

“Xenia,” Mable whimpered as she wobbled over, kneeling beside her.

“Mable, are you alright?” Saya asked as she continued to focus her magic on Xenia.

“I’ll be fine. I think all my experience with magic has helped me become resistant to magical attacks like what William used. Besides, I wasn’t as worn out from the fight as Xenia, so it likely hurt her more because of that too,” Mable explained.

“I am glad you are safe Mable,” Xenia smiled wearily. “I am glad I could at least protect you.”

“Don’t say that. It was because of my ridiculous request that you were put into harm’s way in the first place,” Mable objected, tears welling in her eyes. “I... I nearly got you killed,” she started to cry.

“Xenia,” Saya frowned.

“Xenia, Mable, Saya!” Aria’s voice called out as she ran through the path leading towards them, Saya responding with a wave.

“It will be okay Mable. We are not alone,” she smiled, Mable giving a quiet nod.

“Are you three alright?” Aria asked as she arrived.

“Not quite, sister was severely wounded by William,” Saya frowned. “It will take me some time to properly heal her. I am still quite new to this after all.”

“That snake was here!?” Aria winced. “Well, in that case, I think it best we return to Hollow for now. We can rest there for the night and return to Phordata’s in the morning.”

“T-that would probably be for the best,” Mable nodded.

“I agree. Hang in their sister,” Saya smiled at her. “I will protect you, just like you have done for me.”

* * *

“I can’t believe this,” William grimaced as he ran. “They dare accept him like that!?” he gripped his stinging arm. “What vile nonsense! I have to fight tooth and nail to get to where I am, and he gets accepted just like that!?” his eyes twitched with rage as he came to a halt, leaning against the wall.

“It’s not fair,” he shook. “Why am I the only one that...” he gripped his arm, his thoughts disrupted by a small droplet landing on his arm. “Wh-what is…?” he questioned as he raised his hand to his face, finding a steam of tears. “How dare you,” he growled. “I shall see to it that you pay for forcing me this far.”

“I will make sure you all suffer for embarrassing me again,” he began to laugh. “I shan’t be the only one to suffer. You all must suffer too.”

45