Chapter 9: Plea of a Demon
513 8 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello all! Hope you're all having a good start to the year.

A fair warning before this chapter, the content gets a little heavy in places with this chapter, so make sure you're nice and comfy before reading.

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Content Warning:

Spoiler

This chapter contains elements of mental alteration and abuse. Reader discretion is advised.

[collapse]

 

“So, this is the place,” Fiona said with a hushed voice as she and her group approached the finely tended stone back of the manor. “Are we all ready?”

“It would seem so,” Xenia remarked as she turned to face her friends, Mable, Abbysia, and Honey nodding in turn. “Then let us head in,” she said as Honey moved towards the door.

The buna placed her hand against the fine wooden door and took a deep breath, a light mist like cloud emanating from her and covering the door. She breathed deep, inhaling the mist, leaving the shriveled remains of the door behind. “There, we shouldn’t have any difficulty entering now.”

“Hmm,” Fiona mumbled.

“Is something wrong Fiona?” Abbysia asked.

“Nothing, just uncertain how to feel about that display. I know she explained it to us earlier, that she had planned to drain the moisture from the door. I thought it a rather ghastly idea. Seeing it now I cannot help but feel discomforted by how simple an act it was.

“Magic can be like that,” Abbysia chuckled. “Sometimes it can elegant and pleasant, while others it can be rather unsettling in how it manifests,” she gave a sympathetic smile to the knight as they entered. “So, how do things seem in here to you?”

“It is very quiet,” Xenia observed.

“Does that mean that the Princess, Aria, and Phordata were successful in their ploy?” Fiona asked.

“It would seem so,” Mable nodded. “I can sense some powerful magic coming from the front end of the manor.”

“Then we should be fine to proceed unimpeded,” Xenia stated as they continued to press on. “It would appear we are in the kitchen now,” she noted as she glanced at the smattering of magical devices strewn across the room. A magitech oven, cold chest, and one of the newfangled compact table flames she had heard about. In fact, there was an assortment of new cutting edge cooking equipment scattered throughout the kitchen. Even the kitchens at the castle didn’t have this much magitech equipment, at least she thought as much. “We should figure out where we are headed from here, she said as they turned into a large hallway.

“Abby,” Honey turned to the succubus. “Do you have any way to find your sister?”

“Sort of,” she nodded. “Noire and I, we used to practice telepathy for when we got in trouble. We never got too far with it, but it helped in feeling for each other when we got separated.”

“How about now?”

“Let me try,” Abbysia nodded, closing her eyes as she focused on the subtle and quiet thoughts of her sister. “I think she’s down this hallway and to the left,” she directed.

“Good, then let us go,” Xenia waved them forth.

The hallways were nice and clean. Proper and pleasant save for the ever-present blanket of darkness that swallowed the narrow passages. They quietly proceeded, occasionally spiking with concern as the echoes of distant blades chimed through the air. The five continued their way past several doors until at last Abbysia stopped before a particular door.

“Well, that’s ominous,” Abbysia said as she stood before it, an eerie glow of light blue light streaming from the bottom of the door. “I’m coming sis,” she whispered as she turned the handle and opened the door.

“What is this place?” Fiona asked as she and the others stepped into the large parlor. The room had a notable ‘T’ shape to it, branching off both ways away from the door, the left housing all manner of equipment, a desk, a cauldron, vials of a variety of items and liquids, and strange lumps of metal strewn about. To their right was a massive set of bookcases, tall enough to need an upper floor to simply get at the upper tier of shelves, while a variety of furniture decorated the center of the impromptu study. What concerned them most however was what lay immediately before them.

The eerie blue light pooled on the floor as tanks of what appeared to be glowing liquid wobbled in the massive tank embedded in the wall. One could easily mistake it for an aquarium had it not been for the suspicious light and the apparent absence of life within.

“What is this?” Xenia asked as they approached it, Mable looking at a book stowed near the tank. “Mable, what does it say?”

“It appears to be a log of some sort,” she explained as she flipped through the pages, some of her teal hair tumbling over her ear as she read it. Xenia’s eyes lingered on the petite elven girl as she quietly read the book. Xenia could not help but think of how elegant the lighting looked upon her light skin and how it brightened her hair. “This is weird,” Mable said, snapping Xenia from her seeming trance. “Listen to this. ‘Day 397 of phase four: The newest technique has proven successful. By plying the magical power of spirits to the magitech, the spell’s efficacy has been vastly improved. The will binding of the device has been improved significantly. The most recent subject has been taken by the clergy for their end of testing, and his highness has complimented the results and has requested a finalized version be prepared,’” she read aloud. “Does that mean the church and the King are working together?”

“It would seem so,” Xenia sighed. “Father has significant ties to the church. It is rather natural to conclude that he would hold such a strong allegiance to them, even now.”

“But what have they been working on together like this?” Fiona wondered.

“The term ‘will binding’ is rather alarming if you ask me,” Mable frowned as she turned to Abbysia. “Abby?”

Her eyes fell to the ground as if to burrow into the floor, a distinct fear filling them. “You said the most recent test subject had been taken by the church, correct? You don’t think…?” Mable frowned and looked away, words failing to come to her. “Noire…”

“Hold on,” Fiona interjected, “you said you felt her here, right? So, she has to be here.”

“Y-yes, you’re right,” Abbysia nodded. “Still though, I worry for whoever has been taken by them. I doubt it has been a pleasant experience.”

“For now, let us continue on, alright,” Xenia turned to a door next to the parallel set of bookcases. “I suspect we may find answers in there. What do you think Honey?” she asked turning to her aunt. “Honey?”

The buna’s eyes shook as she stared at the tank. “This is…”

“What’s the matter Honey?” Mable asked.

“This… stuff. It’s… I can’t believe they would do something like this.”

“Like what?” Fiona tilted her head as Abbysia looked over the tank again.

“What is this stuff anyway?” Abby’s wings folded against her, echoing her confusion.

“They’re souls,” Honey’s voice seemed to linger as the others looked at her with mortified stares. “Mable said they were plying the mana with spirit energy. They weren’t speaking of one’s inner strength,” she placed her hand against the tank. “They were talking about them. About these spirits. These ghosts,” her voice trembled.

“You don’t think,” Abbysia stared at the tank with horror. “Have they been harvesting the souls left in Winterfell?”

“How ghastly,” Fiona grimaced.

“I thought the church was supposed to honor the dead,” Mable’s ears drooped. “This is just reprehensible.”

“This is praiseworthy to you, ‘father,’” Xenia just short of snarled. “How dare you.”

“Xenia,” Honey began as she turned to the others. “I want you all to go on ahead.”

“But Honey,” Mable began to protest.

“I trust you all. I believe you can finish what needs to be done. But I… I have to make sure these ones are allowed to rest.”

“You can do that?” Fiona asked.

“It’s not my forte,” Honey frowned. “But I know how to do this. I had to learn… back when Ethnerta…” the others fell silent. “Please. Let me do this.”

“Alright,” Xenia nodded. “We shall leave you in peace then. Just be careful, alright?”

“Of course,” Honey nodded. “I’ll be sealing this room once you leave. So do not try entering until I am finished,” the others nodded as they somberly exited the room. “Don’t worry all of you. Your pain is going to be over soon,” she smiled.

* * *

The others continued into the lab, crossing a few more workshops focused on a variety of fields. Blacksmithing, enchanting, and even the production of magical cores, all seeming to have equipment focused on producing a particular device they had yet to see themselves. And then they found it. A chamber as chilling as it was obvious in its role. A dungeon.

The group looked on with disgust as they looked upon the empty cells, lingering evidence of the cell’s prior occupants strewn messily upon the floor. Claws, clumps of shedded black substances, and torn cloth all decorated the empty cells, leaving little doubt that other demons had been held here for a considerable amount of time. Then at last Abbysia stood before the fated cell.

“Noire!” she called as she pushed against her sister’s cell, the young woman lying asleep, curled upon herself, her dark wings covering what bare skin they could.

“Let me,” Fiona said, jamming her sword into the lock, then pushing it like a lever to break the frail thing.

“They did not expect much resistance did they?” Xenia considered preparing to enter the cell. “Stop,” she barred Abbysia. “Something is amiss. That was too easy.”

“But,” Abbysia shook her head.

“No, she’s right,” Mable said looking at the cell. “It’s been enchanted. It’s sapping your sister’s mana. If you enter, you’ll suffer the same. As would any of us,” she frowned looking to a frustrated Xenia.

“Not me,” Fiona said decisively as she entered, moving to scoop up the young woman and carrying her out of the cell. The girl’s eyes slowly began to open as they emerged.

“Abby?” she spoke with her weak and tired voice, her dark red eyes landing upon Abbysia.

“Noire,” Abbysia’s voice trembled.

“It’s really you?” she asked as Fiona set her down.

“Noire!” Abbysia exclaimed as she hugged her sister. “I was so afraid,” she cried.

“Abby, but why? You shouldn’t have come,” Noire’s fragile voice shook. “You shouldn’t have put yourself in harm’s way for me,” she cried into Abby’s chest.

“You know I couldn’t leave you behind. It’s like we always used to say, staying together is the one thing that matters,” Abbysia gently scolded Noire.

“Captain,” Fiona prodded Xenia. “I do not want to, but I think it best if we split up. I am concerned by staying together we may become vulnerable to any traps they have planned. If they had the cell enchanted, there may be others as well to alert the lord.”

“You are probably right, and yet…” Xenia looked to Abbysia and Noire as they hugged and hesitated. She thought of how she would feel if it were her and Saya. And then she considered the possibility that Fiona had proposed. Staying together had its advantages, but Noire was clearly weak, and prioritizing her escape took precedence. “Abby,” she began drawing the attention of the two succubi. “I know you have just been reunited but allow Fiona to escort your sister out of here while we finish up here,” Abby frowned before giving an understanding nod.

“We’ll be apart for a bit longer okay sis?” Abby said brushing Noire’s dark shoulder length hair.

“But Abby…”

“We have a bit more to do here before we can leave. We have to make sure that they can’t ever hurt us again, okay?” Abbysia explained.

“Okay,” Noire frowned before walking to Fiona who nodded. “Be safe, okay sis. I don’t want to lose you either.”

“Stay safe,” Fiona nodded before picking up the unsuspecting succubus who blushed at the sudden motion. “We shall see you outside,” Fiona proclaimed as she turned and left.

“She sure is reliable, huh?” Mable chuckled.

“Enough of that for now,” Xenia shook her head. “We must head further in and make sure whatever of this accursed research perishes here.”

“Xenia,” Mable’s voice shook.

“I refuse to let what our kingdom has done, the suffering it has caused my family and others, be used to hurt yet more innocents,” she gritted her teeth as they continued the door before them.

They emerged in a dark round room, an eerie balance of a royal decorum decorating the otherwise dark dungeon like appearance.

“What is this place?” Xenia asked aloud.

“I think it’s some kind of lab,” Mable said. “No, that’s not right. I think it may actually be an auditorium of some sort, like to present an invention to a nobleman or something.”

“I don’t like this room,” Abbysia shuttered. “It reeks of that rotten mana from earlier.”

“That would make sense,” Mable frowned. “I’m sure whatever they’ve been working on with the other demons was presented in here many times,” Xenia gripped her hand tight as Abby covered her mouth as she began gagging from the horror.

“Is this what all the noise has been about?” a slow sunken voice asked as a man in a white cloak slinked out of the nearby hallway. “After all the trouble my mate went to for our offspring, what a mess,” he sighed deeply. “Looks like I have to deal with more of her nagging,” he continued as he dragged himself to what appeared to be a stage before looking to the three his deep sunken bugged eyes prying into them simultaneously vacantly and intently as if evaluating a random piece of meat. “Hmm? Who are you?”

“Ilo?” Mable inquired. “This is your manor?”

“Hmm? I suppose so. Father left it for me, though I leave its management to my mate,” his eyes wandered to the side.

“What’s with this guy?” Abbysia shivered. “He’s so creepy.”

“That would be Sir Ilo, a researcher for Luxur’s King, Zerto,” Xenia said with harsh stare.

“Ilo always had an eerie vibe to him,” Mable lamented, “but I never knew he was doing something like this here.”

“Hmm, the knight princess?” Ilo tilted his head awkwardly with a creeping stare landing upon Xenia. “And the king’s elf,” he said looking Mable as she quivered at his nonchalant description. His eyes then fell to Abbysia. “Hmm?” he rose his hand to his still tilted head. “You brought me another test subject? Very well then, I shall prepare it for experimentation,” he stepped towards a strange black object to his right.

“What is that?” Xenia questioned.

“Hmm? Has the King not informed you?” he replied as he poked it methodically. “Demons have a natural affinity for magic that humans such as ourselves do not,” he explained. “They can cast spells without the aid of our modern magitech or the classical instruments of wands and symbology. It is quite fascinating,” he began to grin. “What if we could use that power for ourselves? His highness and the church have both requested my research into that topic, and this device is but one of my answers,” his dreary voice remained as monotonous as it had been, but the women felt a sinister vibe from his detached words.

“What does it do!?” Xenia glared.

“Hmm? Oh, yes,” Ilo nodded. “It’s a device derived from magitech used for livestock,” he said dispassionately. “That is to say, it is a device to control animals with magic. It has been rather exhausting to make expand it to be effective on demons. Their higher intellect makes it more difficult to properly control them,” he grinned, “but thanks to the latest contributions of the church and his highness, I’ve managed to make a lot of progress of late. It was rather surprising to see how potent those deceased spirits would be at binding a demon,” he pushed a few more buttons.

Their eyes grew wide as he spoke. They were struck by the cruel sentiment. Xenia twitching from his unfeeling tone. Mable quivered from the application and inhumanity of the concepts. Abbysia cowered as his comparison reignited horrible memories. “Abby,” Xenia’s voice shook. “Get out of here,” her voice was edged with disgust as she glared at the inattentive Ilo. 

“R-right,” Abbysia nodded, as she turned to leave.

“Hmm? You didn’t bind her?” Ilo finally looked up. “That’s not an issue,” he mumbled to himself as he pressed a button. The device began to rumble as a white ring appeared on its front face, energy surging to form an orb in front of the ring, which then shot towards Abbysia. As it collided with her, she suddenly froze, paralyzed by the energy. “You should be more careful Princess. Demons are dangerous when left to their own devices,” he looked to her with his bugging eyes with an indifferent tone.

“Stop!” Xenia shouted as she drew her sword.

“What for?” Ilo asked as he looked at her confusedly. “You brought this demon here for my experiments, correct?” he sighed. “I see, you must’ve been warned. The yelling can get rather obnoxious. If you want to leave, then you may,” he said as he pressed some more buttons. “My mate cannot tolerate the screams either.”

“I said to…” Xenia began as she tried to advance before the object began to glow again, another set of concentric circles appearing on the device, a bubbling mass of magic forming before it before shooting a beam of magic at Abbysia.

“Aaaaaah!!!” Abbysia screamed as her body quaked.

“I said to stop!” Xenia declared as she swiped at Ilo, causing him to stumble backward, his startled face cracking with fear. “Mable!”

“Right,” Mable said as she moved to the device, pushing a couple of the strange buttons, causing the device to shut down.

“Wh-what are you doing!?” Ilo shook on the ground. “I don’t understand,” his banal voice sank into confused fear. “Why are you displeased princess?”

“Shut up!” Xenia snapped. “The mere idea that you think that it’s okay to do something like this to another person is revolting. You don’t even wince at the pain you are causing her,” Xenia’s eye twitched with anger.

“But that’s a demon, not a…” Xenia’s sword moved to point at him. “P-please…” Ilo stammered.

“Be thankful that I see no need in spilling your blood here tonight,” Xenia said. “Your research is over. We’re freeing your captive, and you won’t ever hurt her or any others again.”

“P-please…help me…” Ilo slowly repeated.

Xenia retracted her blade and walked to the others. “Let us get out of here,” she said.

“But what about his lab?” Mable asked. “We can’t let him to keep up this research.”

“You are correct, but I believe it best to discuss our options with Aunts Honey and Phordata. But the longer we linger here, the more likely it is we will be discovered,” Xenia countered. “Not to worry though, I shall make sure that abominable…”

“Please, help me, William,” Ilo’s voice shook, catching Xenia off guard as she turned back towards Ilo, her eyes shocked to witness William emerging before Ilo.

“My, my, what a mess this has all become,” William lamented. “And after you finally started having such good results,” he began poking at the machine.

“Mable, take Abby and get out of here!” Xenia declared, taking hold of her sword once more.

“But Xenia,” Mable protested.

“Just go!” Xenia barked as she prepared to charge at William.

William traded a glare with her, a frustrated frown upon both of their lips. However, William’s lips quickly began to curl into a grin. “Keep them there, will you?” he looked beyond Xenia.

“Xenia!” Mable’s voice cried. Xenia twisted around, once more shocked by another unfortunately unforeseen arrival. Only unlike Ilo and William, it was not any singular person, but rather the mob of mercenaries she had encountered during their travels, grinning beyond the suddenly opening doors. “Get away from us!” Mable said, igniting the tip of her staff with a spell as Abbysia hastily prepared to use her own magic.

“Heh, well isn’t this convenient? A demon to test this on. I’ve been rather curious to see it for myself Ilo, I hope you don’t mind.”

“O-of course,” Ilo nodded as William fired up the device.

“Abby, run!” Xenia shouted, but it was too late.

“Now then, become my servant,” William gave a wicked jackal like grin.

Abbysia was slow to react, barely turning around before realizing the reality of what was about to happen, Xenia similarly too slow to halt it. The device rumbled and growled as it formed another writhing mass of magic which then shot towards Abbysia. The white magic wound upon its target, gripping them with its glowing might. “Aaaah!” a sharp cry pierced the air.

“Now, isn’t this an interesting development,” William chuckled as Xenia looked on in horror. “Well then, Xenia, my dear sister, I think I’ll share a story with you since you seem rather… open to the idea,” he chuckled as Xenia trembled in shock as black magical energy erupted from the targeted girl, her wings erupting from her back and head as she writhed in pain.

“Stop this,” Xenia quietly begged.

“A little over two decades ago, an unholy union occurred between a man and a woman,” William snickered. “They bore a pair of daughters, and all seemed well for a number of years until one of their daughters began to exemplify some rather… particular features. It did not take long for their village to realize the truth.”

“Please stop this,” Xenia’s voice quaked.

“The father was native born, and the mother came from outside of the village, and it was quite clear that she was the malefactor. A demon. A succubus. The mother fled for her life, leaving her abomination of a child behind. But the village would not have it. That was when father got a certain request,” he looked upon the tears on Xenia’s face.

“Stop it,” Xenia’s voice shook.

“He bought that abomination you call a friend, and took her in to further our kingdom. In all honesty, I thought it a shoddy rumor, but as you can see, it is anything but,” he laughed.

Mable writhed in pain as her screams shook through the room, the immense surge of mana stunning those around her. Abbysia looked on in horror as she witnessed Mable’s body arch in pain, paralyzed by guilt as she processed what was happening. Mable ran into the magic to protect her, causing a chain reaction that pried at a latent well of demonic energy deep within, two black wings emerging from her back. Abbysia’s horror was only deepened as the mercenaries looked on with intrigue and laughs of excitement.

Xenia found her feet and stood in defiance. “Stop this! WILLIAM!” she yelled as she ran at her brother. William grinned as revealed his Thunder Snap and shot a bolt of lightning at her felling her to her knees. “T-that weapon,” she grumbled.

“Yes, that’s right. Our dear brother did quite the number on it,” he sighed. “But I’ve managed to repair it since then,” he shrugged as he looked on at Mable’s writhing form. “Ilo, how long is this supposed to take?”

“Th-the previous test subjects took around fifty minutes for the magic to take hold. It takes a lot of mana to sink in properly,” Ilo explained.

“Fifty minutes,” William cocked his eyebrow. “Hmm? Let’s see if we can speed it up a little, shall we?” he smirked as he rose his Thunder Snap up. With a sharp snap of his fingers a bolt of lightning surged into the magical stream, infusing it with its might.

“AAAAAAH!!!” Mable’s scream became a violent screech as she crumbled to the ground, a newly formed tail stretched out in pain as her wings twitched with shock before the two sets of magic suddenly stopped. Mable’s voice fell silent, much like her body fell towards the floor before resulting in an audible thud.

“Mable!” Abbysia ran to her side and took her into her arms. The mercenaries stood there watching her desperately shake Mable awake, halted by a simple gesture from William’s hand instructing them to halt, much to their chagrin. “Please! Wake up!” Abbysia cried. “Please, don’t quit on me!” she wept. “You saved me, but that doesn’t mean anything if it takes you away,” her voice squeaked.

“Pathetic demon,” William chuckled. “Those pointy ears apparently aren’t good for listening,” he snickered. “This device doesn’t kill demons,” Abbysia looked up in confusion. “It makes them our servants,” he said with a grim smile. “Mable, rise, and apprehend that demon.”

Mable’s eyes shot open, bright red irises overtaking the former gentle blue that once filled them as she focused on the girl above her, much to Abbysia’s shock. Abbysia winced as her instincts took over, blocking a swipe from Mable’s newly shadow wrapped claw. Abbysia darted backward, a saddened stare landing upon Mable as she vacantly looked at Abbysia, her listless eyes watching Abbysia’s every move.

“Mable please!” Abbysia cried to the despondent girl as she unleashed a volley of attacks, a sudden surge of darkness erupting from the elven girl.

“Prince William,” Ilo quietly called to the Prince who looked at him unenthusiastically for distracting him from the fight. “What should I do?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” William sighed. “Just get out of here for now. Your research is too valuable to lose here.” Ilo nodded and began to creep away the same way he arrived.

“Stop,” Xenia protested as she shambled on the ground watching helplessly as Mable unleashed her demonic spells upon Abbysia, whom simply answered with a smattering of protective spells. “Mable!” Xenia moved to stop her. William rose his arm and made a brushing motion, instructing the mercenaries to go for the anguished princess. “Out of my way!” she huffed as she stumbled to her feet.

“Not so tough now, are ya,” one of the mercenaries chided her. She was certain she would recognize some of them had she had the nerves to carefully engage them, but as her panic gripped her, she could only angrily glare at them as she sought her way past them. “Not so fast!” one laughed as he swung his large axe at her, cutting off her advance. She began to grit her teeth as she furiously gripped the hot handle of her blade.

“What’s the matter dear sister?” William chortled. “I thought you prided yourself on your cool head in battle and your so-called decisive movements. I heard you were supposed to be strong enough to handle even a group of trained mercenaries like these fine fellows with little effort.”

“Shut up,” Xenia muttered as she blocked an oncoming attack.

“Aren’t you supposed to be stern and silent in battle? Sharp and witty in your select few breaths?” William grinned.

“Shut up,” Xenia repeated.

“At this rate, dear sister, you won’t even be able to save your unholy friends,” he snickered. “In fact, shouldn’t a well mannered knight find them abhorrent? Or are your emotions getting the better of you and deluding you? They are both demons after all. Scum, worth nothing more than the most basic of servitude, not friendship.”

“SHUT UP!” Xenia shouted.

“Well, it doesn’t matter what you think,” William chuckled. “Hurry it up little demon. Finish your prey for me,” he eagerly clapped his hands as the panting Mable nodded without a care, her weary body moving beyond its comfort.

Xenia winced as she watched Mable launch another massive blow against Abbysia’s defenses. “I’m sorry,” Abbysia whispered as she nurtured a black sphere in her hands. The succubus closed her eyes as she launched the sphere of swirling dark magic at Mable, causing her to shriek in pain.

“Mable!” Xenia exclaimed as the girl writhed in pain, Abbysia crying in sorrow for her actions. Xenia gripped the searing handle of her sword and gritted her teeth as William’s taunts sank in.

“Oho?’ William chortled. “It would appear as though your ineptitude has costed you your wicked friend,” he grinned. “Oh, no, pity that, I suppose she might yet live. Demons are so obnoxious to kill. Perhaps if you kept your pathetic emotions in check, maybe you could’ve helped them,” he sneered.

He reminded her of her teachers, the ones that her father… no, the ones that Zerto forced upon her, the ones who disrespected and mocked her for her emotions. She felt the fool as in the moment it all became clear, what they had done to her. “I refuse,” she spat as she held the furious shadows in her heart. Just as William was manipulating Mable, so too had her father manipulated her to abandon her feelings, the very thing that witches drew strength upon, forming a chilling wall between herself and what she cared for all the while. As she a writhing Mable, shaking in pain, she breathed a breath of molten rage. She breathed in her pain, breathed in her anger, breathed in her fury. “I will not let you take her from me!” she began to cry.

“How unsightly sister. Crying? Here? Now? What ever happened to...” his arrogant glare melted and his sneer sank, his gaze lingering upon her. “W-what!?” his eyes focused on black specks appearing around Xenia. No, they weren’t specks, they were embers. Hot as any flame yet coated in wisps of shadows. “That can’t be... magic!? Just like...” he gripped his arm as he came to the horrifying realization. He had seen these embers before when they were younger, and they were so reminiscent of... “You’re…!”

“William!” Xenia yelled as she turned back towards him and rose her hand towards him holding the image of his head in her hand. The heat percolated within her palm, black shadows rupturing with an angered heat as they ignited into a dark purple ball of flame. She felt her anger punch the ball beyond her, as it flew towards William, his shock providing the perfect chance for the fireball to crash into the magitech, leaving nothing but a smoldering wreck behind. “You will pay for all you have done!”

“Mable!” Abbysia pulled the trembling demonic elf into her arms, as her muscles went limp from weariness, freed from the magitech’s vile snare. “It’s alright, I have you now,” she whispered as Xenia gave a passing smile to the two, thanking the mana for their safety.

“What are you fools doing!?” William barked at the mercenaries who quaked in fear as they witnessed the true birth of the witch before them. “Attack her!” he demanded. As if on cue, one of them let out a panicked scream as he lifted his axe and threw it down at her. She only spared an angry glare as she lifted her blade up, and slashed it at the man, a wave of shadowy flames emanating from the blade and forcing the mercenary back, wailing in pain.

Another twitched and succumbed to his panicked need to strike. Xenia grit her teeth as she struck again, another wave of shadow and flame propelling the swordsman back. Again and again, they charged at her, only to meet the same fate. However, they finally crawled to a halt as she glared at them. “Wh-what the hell is she!?” one screeched. “That armor, th-that power! What is it!?” another yelled as the light from the lingering purple flames cast the room in an eerie light. “Screw this, let’s get the fuck outta here!” as if controlled by some collective will, the mercenaries began to run, one after the other leaving only William and herself to face each other.

She breathed in, and then out. She took a deep breath, a shimmering glow filling her. It all seemed to snap into place, everything her aunts had been trying to teach her. The blockades that prevented their wisdom from taking root had finally crumbled away, her forceful grip easing into a welcoming grasp which mana eagerly flooded into. Her stern façade had given way to her resolved glare, as she directed her anger upon the single enemy before her.

“I will only say this once, brother. Surrender, leave, or die,” she gave a furious glare at him.

“This isn’t fair,” he snarled. “First you get his praise. Then you get renown across the kingdom for defeating a few brigands! Now you have the gall to surpass me with magic as if it were nothing!?” he began to cry. “Why do you get everything while I have to squirm and pry for every bit I can!? Why do you get all this, even getting to betray everything, still surpassing me, while I didn’t even have a chance!?”

“You exhausted my pity long ago brother, as well as my empathy. None of that is an excuse for what you have done, nor what you have continued to do. You chided and abused the others and myself when we were children. You have caused pain to our sister, and to Mable, among countless other vile deeds. You have even sought to strip autonomy from others for your selfish gain. And I will not permit you to proceed any further,” she said, as the wind from the surrounding purple blazes seemed to gracefully flutter her hair behind her. “This is you last warning!”

“Xenia!” William yelled as he drew out his Thunder Snap and snapped a bolt of lightning at her. She merely held her sword in front of her and slashed the lightning in twain, the sparks consumed by shadows, as the remaining fireball charged forth. 

William refused to relent, dodging to his left as he ran around her, snapping his gauntlet, spurring several bolts of lightning towards Xenia.

She breathed with frustration as she leapt back and charged towards his direction, avoiding the lightning and hurtling towards her. She readied her blade, the intent to kill wrapping upon the blade.

He didn’t hesitate as he rose to meet her blade, blocking the sword with his shoulder, revealing an arm guard beneath his tearing cloak, a part of the equipment for the Thunder Snap. However, he misjudged her once more, the strength of the impact was enough to knock the breath out of him, and the shadows whipped along her blade only furthering the harm. He coughed, a splatter of blood landing on the floor as the shadows dug in, similarly blood trickled down his arm. He gave an unrelenting grin and clenched his left hand, punching into her side.

Alas, William was no trained knight, or any sort of true warrior, and his punch was only met by the stern pose of Xenia's body, taking the impact with little damage, much to his chagrin. Xenia returned his sneer with a glare and kicked him in the stomach, forcing him backward. He looked up, seeing the sprawl of purple flames devouring the outer circle of the hall.

William stumbled as he tried to stay on his feet, another splatter of blood departing his mouth. But he had not finished. He rose Thunder Snap once more and readied as much mana as he could into its fingertips. “DIE!!!” he screamed as he released the snap.

“RAAAA,” Xenia merely returned his scream with a glare and wordless yell as she conjured another fireball in her hand and thrust it forth, the flame colliding in air. Xenia flinched as William grinned, his experience shining through, as the lightning punctured the fireball, causing it’s might to backfire, exploding in Xenia’s direction. Xenia cringed as she prepared to feel the brunt of the magic, striking her with immense pain. 

And yet the pain never came, a wall of shadows crawling between her and the explosion. 

William stood there dumbfounded as before Xenia stood the Elven girl, her long teal hair waving in the gust from the attack, the black wings upon her back fluttering before drooping in exhaustion. Mable protecting Xenia at the last moment, blocking the mix of fire and lightning.

“Mable, you...”

“I don’t want to see you get hurt either,” Mable looked to her a kind shimmer in her once more blue eyes. “Xenia.”

The two traded a look for a moment that seemed to stretch on forever. Xenia felt wet tears trickle down her face as she moved to hold her weak body. Mable felt the warmth of a gentle hug embrace before she could fall to the ground. The two could only smile as they held each other. Mable’s gentle blue crystals looked into Xenia’s red gems and gave a quiet giggle just before their lips too held one another. The moment began to pass as the two looked at each other, embarrassment quickly consuming the emotions of the calming moment.

“S-sorry,” Mable apologized. “I think my demon side kinda, uh, overwhelmed me...er, us... Y-yeah,” she stammered as clutched her hands to her chest. And her ears and wings all twitching nervously as her tail wriggled around her leg.

“Mable,” Xenia gave a gentle sigh as Mable looked up into her glowing red eyes as her beautifully crimson hair seemed to float behind her. Mable was unable to hide her red cheeks as Xenia graced her with a kind look. “I am glad you are okay,” she gave a tearful smile.

“Me too,” Mable leaned into her as Xenia embraced her in another gentle hug.

They relaxed in each other’s arms until another voice at last disturbed them.

“Um,” Abbysia frowned. “Where did that man go?” the two jolted up as they snapped back to reality and recalling they were in the middle of a fight. Their eyes darted to where William once was only to notice he was gone.

“A-apologies,” Xenia’s voice shook, overcome by embarrassment. “We got distracted and...”

“Forget about it,” Honey chuckled as she approached behind Abbysia, returning from her escapades. “I apparently missed a lot. But the important thing is everyone’s okay.”

“Honey, you’re back,” Mable blinked.

“Yep. I managed to set those spirits free, so whatever they’ve been doing here shouldn’t happen again so easily,” Honey explained. “It looks like you’ve all had a tough time in my absence. Sorry,” she frowned.

“It’s alright, like you said, we all made it out alright,” she looked to Xenia and Mable as they shared a trade of gentle smiles. “For now, we should probably head for Saya’s group,” Abbysia chuckled. “That’s where we sent Fiona and my sister, right?”

“R-right,” Xenia nodded, an unusual blush upon her face, causing Mable to giggle. “W-what?”

“It has been a long time is all,” Mable chuckled.

“Since what?”

“Since I have seen you so vulnerable, I guess. You seem much looser, much like your armor,” Mable said, as she poked her now bare arm.

Xenia blinked as she looked over her body. Mable was right, her armor had changed, made to be lighter and lesser in quantity, looking more like an armored cloak. She still had her important guards, such as her shoulder guards and chest plate, but the rest had an energy similar to what she recalled Phordata’s clothes to look. In fact, while it was once primarily red and white, now the armor was surrounded by a dark purple cloak reminiscent of the shadowy flames she used. “What caused this?”

“You were still wearing your soul dress underneath your armor, right?” Honey asked as they approached the exit.

“Yes.”

“Then judging from what I’m seeing, I imagine between your mana releasing so chaotically, and how you released your pent up emotions. I would speculate that as a result the soul dress began to merge with your armor, forming a garb reflecting who you are as a witch,” Honey smiled. “Although, since I didn’t witness it, I can’t say for certain.”

“I see, so is that why it feels so much more comfortable?”

“Most likely.”

“I see,” Xenia nodded before another silence set in as Honey led them out of the chamber and back into the hallway.

“Xenia,” Mable poked at the princess once more. “Thanks for saving me.”

“Always.”

* * *

He ran and ran and ran. Like a scared pup he ran. His mind angrily twitched and boggled over what had just happened. He lost. Not just to his sister, but to that blasted elf-demon monstrosity as well. What made matters worse, he was certain his Thunder Snap had become overloaded from that last attack. He was without a weapon or recourse, especially now that those worthless mercenaries had abandoned him. He managed to secure a carriage and began the trek home, something he was not excited to do, but had to, especially with how things ended.

William trembled in anger, furious tears pouring down his face. What was happening? How had he let them get to him so much to break his facade again? He had nearly forgotten that he even regularly cried as a child until these past few encounters. “Cursed witches,” he grumbled. He didn’t know how or why, but those two, they had to have been granted such powers by that Phordata, that was the only explanation he could fathom. No wonder his father so desperately wanted to kill Phordata and went to such measures against Ethnerta for harboring them.

But what perplexed him the most was not the magic, nor the pain of the encounter, it was what he beheld at the end. Not the elf girl being part demon. He had figured that much out long ago, and his father had long since sworn him to secrecy on that subject. No, it was that... that kiss. He trembled as he thought about the ghastly exchange. The idea of such soft lips and bodies contacting like that, the idea of two women doing that... it made his body quake.

He tried to discount it as mere disgust. This must be why his father and the church had determined such acts as unholy, there was scarce few terms to describe the sensation he was feeling. And yet it persisted in his mind. He gulped, trying to swallow the thought like a stale meal.

He sighed. He could not relent now, he had too much on the line. His father had promised a great bounty should he succeed. The study of the witches’ bodies, more funds for his research, a chance to present what he could truly do. He needed to succeed, that was the only way to make the progress he so craved, and he wasn’t going to let a handful of girls stand in his way of that.

38