Chapter 10-1: Reunion of Sisters
491 4 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This chapter is rather long, so I split it for convenience. Part 2 will be up shortly after Part 1, so there should be little waiting between the two.

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Content Warning: This chapter has instances of

Spoiler

misgendering and deadnaming.

[collapse]

Saya paced back and forth between the tall hedges along the sides of the road before the manor. Her mind paced at a similar rate as she worried for her friends and family. She glanced toward Fiona who gave her an attempt at a reassuring smile, but it was drained of energy, clearly forced for her comfort, which only further agitated her. She continued her pacing as she feared what may become of the others.

“Princess,” a gentle voice called to her as a similarly gentle gloved grasp held her shoulder. She looked up to see Aria’s gentle frown. “You mustn’t fret like this. They’ll be fine, I’m sure of it. Xenia won’t lose, and Honey is there to back them up from whatever may confront them.”

“Yes, but sister still has not mastered her magic, and she has seemed off of late. And beyond that, after nearly losing her to brother...” Saya’s voice fell silent.

“Have faith in them, okay?” Saya looked into Aria’s deep blue eyes finding a quiet solace in their depth. She gave gentle nod.

“You are right. Thank you, Aria.”

“Heh, those two are quite the sight, wouldn’t you agree, Fio?” Phordata chuckled Fiona grumbling quietly as she leaned back against their carriage. “Something the matter.”

“It is just… somewhat discomforting to have you tease me with these names of yours.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Phordata chuckled.

“As for them, I suppose it is quite soothing to watch them,” Fiona smiled. “However, I share the Princess’s concerns. I am worried about the captain. I fear I chose wrong in bringing Noire back and should have stayed with them.”

“I don’t agree,” Phordata shrugged. “If you stayed with them you’d all have to keep caring for Noire. At least this way she’s out of danger and not distracting them.”

“I suppose you are right. Even so, I am worried for their safety now.”

“I see,” Phordata nodded. “Well… hmm?” she perked up and looked toward the door.

“Is something the matter?” Fiona asked before noticing Saya sharing a similarly curious expression.

“Saya, what’s...” Aria looked at her.

“There is something coming,” she looked to the entrance.

“Now that you mention it, I feel it too,” Aria looked on with her. “I don’t think I’m feeling it as much as you are. What do you make of it?”

“Well, I think it’s Abby and Aunt Honey, but there’s some other magic with them.”

“Some other…?” Aria looked on curiously. They watched as the doors open, Honey and Abby walking out. “There you are,” Aria smiled before returning to confusion. “Wait, where’s the Captain and Mable,” Saya looked on with frightful eyes.

“They’re coming,” Honey chuckled. “They just need a moment,” Saya and Aria shared a confused look. “Here they come.”

From the shadows of the doorway, a brilliant young woman strode out, her fierce red hair flowing behind her. She appeared to be wearing light armor, fashioned in a similar way to that of the Lumina Knights. However, it was far lighter in application, a simple set of shoulder guards, light bracers, and armored gloves, paired with light armor on her legs. However, she also had a distinctively elegant nature to her outfit, with a dark dress contrasting the whites and reds, a tight bodice and short skirt giving her more of a vibe of a traveling warrior in some extravagant garb than a proper knight. And then there was the long draping dark burgundy cloak she wore.

“Xenia?” Saya looked on dumbfounded. “Is that you?”

“It is, sister,” she said with a comfortable smile and soft eyes, softer than she had seen from Xenia in years. Shivers traveled down Saya’s spine as a sudden bout of nostalgia swept thought her. Before she knew it, she had run to Xenia pulling her into a mighty hug. “Saya?”

“Xenia!” she cried into her sister’s chest. Xenia simply held her sister close and gave a soft doting smile. “You… you changed,” Saya whimpered as she pulled away. “I thought… I do not know why, but I...” she failed to find the words. “I am so glad you have returned.”

“As am I sister,” Xenia pet her some more.

“Captain,” Fiona looked at her bewildered as she approached. “What happened to you. You have never acted like this before. Is this a result of some sort of magic?”

“Sort of,” Xenia frowned. “It is a bit complicated, but I suppose that I chose to no longer hold back how I feel any longer,” she smiled. “I realized that the lessons I was taught over the years were all teaching me to betray my feelings so I could be a knight, and I think I have finally overcome it.”

“Does that mean that you’re going to lose your strength like Saya did?” Aria frowned.

“I don’t think there’s any concern of that,” Honey chuckled. “I think she simply found the way of fighting that suits her,” Xenia nodded in confirmation.

“I’ve never seen anything like it. She was able to use her magic while also wielding her blade with such passion,” Abbysia smiled. “It was incredible. It was rather like watching the real Lady Lumina fight in front of my eyes,” she chuckled, Xenia giving a bright blush in turn.

“You fought someone?” Fiona asked. “Was it the Lord?”

“He appeared yes, and he did try to stop us, but he was not the one I fought. It was William,” Xenia explained.

“You fought brother again?” Saya looked up in shock. “He attacked you again?” Xenia nodded.

“I could not forgive him for what he did this time,” she said as she angrily gripped her hands.

“What he did?” Saya asked looking around, panic suddenly seizing her as she realized someone was still absent. “Mable! Where is she!?” Xenia sighed as she looked at her with a tearful look. “Xenia say something!” Saya shook.

“Mable is okay, but...” Xenia’s voice trailed off as she eased off her anger. She took a breath and looked into Saya’s eyes. “Saya, I need you to listen, I need all of you to listen to me and be considerate,” she said as she looked to the others. “Mable has been through a lot, and I need you all to be accommodating of that,” she said, the others nodding in turn. She turned to the doorway and walked over to it. “Are you ready?” she said offering her hand to the shadows.

“I am,” a shaky voice responded. From the shadows stepped Mable, with a sullen and nervous demeanor, a set of leathery black wings twitching on her head and back, a spade tipped tail curling around her leg. “H-hi,” she said while gripping Xenia’s hand, who gave her a reassuring nod.

“Mable?” Saya asked in awe. “Is that really you?”

“What in the world happened to you? You’re...” Aria looked at her in shock.

“Yes,” Mable looked away. “I... I’m a half demon. I’m half succubus, like Abby and her sister,” she explained the others looking to Abby who shook her head back at them. “Er, no, she had nothing to do with this,” she shook her head.

“I suspected as much,” Phordata sighed.

“You knew Aunt Phory?” Saya looked at her were great concern.

“Apologies, I didn’t want to stir anything if I was wrong,” she frowned. “Although, her awakening to that side of herself should’ve been within her control, but by the looks of things...”

“It was brother,” Xenia admitted. “He used some kind of magitech in an attempt to control Abby. Mable intervened and then she awakened to her powers,” she sighed. “That said, she is still the same Mable we all know and care for.”

“So, it is little different from what happened to the Princess then?” Fiona surmised. “Her blood simply awoke under the stress.”

“Y-you’re not upset?” Mable asked.

Fiona sighed. “I think second guessing you now would be a betrayal to what the Princess and the Captain chose. I have no interest in doing that. All that matters is that you are okay,” she crossed her arms. “Would you not agree Aria?”

“Right,” Aria chuckled. “Like you said about Saya back in the forest all those months ago, you’re still the same girl we’ve known since we were kids. The same girl who traveled with us, and the same one who chewed us out for how we treated her too.”

“Precisely,” Saya giggled. “You still remain our friend Mable, no matter what has or will happen to you.”

“Everyone,” Mable shook. “Thank you. Thank you, so much.”

* * *

“How’re they doing?” Aria asked as she entered a well-furnished room.

“They are both doing fine, just resting,” Saya smiled. “Sister is watching over Mable, and Abby is watching over Noire. I am impressed that sister was fine with the single night of rest though,” she giggled. “Tis fortunate we managed to find an Inn to recuperate at. They both need it.”

“Ilo may be creepy, but at least he and his family had the good sense to live near a quiet town like this. Although, thinking about it, a lot of trade routes go through here. It may have been convenient for all of the work the king had him doing,” Aria frowned. “That all aside. I didn’t expect all of this to happen. I feel kind of bad if I’m being honest.”

“I agree,” Saya frowned. “I enjoyed our dance, and watching you fight was rather…” she began to blush, “…striking,” Aria chuckled at the incidental pun. “But knowing that while we were doing that, that they all went through something so horrible is… upsetting.”

“This sort of thing just happens you two,” Phordata interjected as she entered the room.

“Aunt Phory?” Saya hesitated. “Perhaps you are right, but still.”

“I am right,” Phorata chuckled. “Listen, you can’t be there for everyone all the time Saya,” she said warmly. “And it’s important that you take care of yourself, so that when they need you, you will be able support others. If you take on too much and feel responsible like this, you’ll only hurt yourself, and you might not be able to support others when they need you most.”

“Wow, that’s pretty insightful,” Aria chuckled. “I almost forget how wise you can be sometimes.”

“And I almost forget that you’re still bitter over when we first met,” Phordata chuckled back, Aria sticking out her tongue.

“I swear, you two must enjoy heckling each other,” Saya joined in their chuckles.

“Anyway,” Phordata held up a bag. “I was thinking of going out to do some shopping while we wait for those two. Would you like to join me?”

“Sure,” Aria nodded.

“Sounds fun,” Saya chimed.

“I think I shall come as well,” Xenia said emerging from the bedroom.

“Are you certain? I thought you were watching over Mable,” Phordata looked at her with intrigue.

“Yes, but Abby and I agreed we should both take some time for ourselves, and now seems like a fine time to get some fresh air,” she smiled gently. “Besides, I have not had enough time to spend with you three.”

“Xenia…” Aria looked on in awe at her softer demeanor.

“Sister,” Saya’s said excitedly. “Oh, now I am truly excited. This will be the first time we have gotten to shop together,” she giggled.

“Right, I sometimes forget that you’ve not been out shopping that much since you were kept to the castle back then,” Aria laughed.

“It was quite boorish,” Saya pouted, “so I am thrilled to be able to have an outing with you sister.”

“Heheh,” Xenia gave an elegant giggle. “Yes, it does sound rather nice,” she smiled.

“Right, then let’s be on our way,” Phordata grinned, directing them out.

“Wow,” Aria mumbled.

“What is it Aria?” Saya looked to her.

“It’s just the Captain,” Aria looked over Xenia as she happily laughed with Phordata. “I don’t think I’ve seen her like this since we were children. What’s up with that?”

“It was her awakening,” Saya smiled.

“Her awakening? I’m still a little confused about that, I thought she awoke as a witch months ago,” Aria asked uncertainly.

“She had her seal removed, and her powers partially awakened, yes. However, something was preventing her powers from fully awakening.”

“Preventing how?”

“Sister and I talked a lot about it last night,” she began. “It was similar with my training to be a knight. For me my training acted as a barrier from being myself. One of many that I shedded over our journey. It was something forced upon me, and something I came to resent, even if I was not aware of it at the time. It burdened me to the point that my spirit rejected all of it in the end,” Saya sighed.

“But the same isn’t true for Xenia, right?” Aria pressed.

“Not the same, but similar,” Saya said somberly. “Sister does not dislike being a knight as I did. She finds it empowering. The barrier for her was more so the teachings forced upon her. She never spoke of it when we were younger, but her later teachers treated her horribly, teaching her that her emotions were a weakness. Making them out to be an enemy she had to suppress.”

“And a witch’s emotions are her power, right?” Aria’s eyes sparked with realization. “I see. It wasn’t that her training itself was the problem, but the ideas she was taught with it. I wonder. Did the… did Zerto do that to her on purpose?”

“I think he may have,” Saya frowned, “but now, I think she’s finally moving past that,” Saya smiled. “She no longer has to bury herself.”

“I see,” Aria chuckled.

“What are you talking about you two,” Xenia looked to them.

“Oh, just about how proud I am of my big sister,” Saya giggled as Xenia smiled.

“And I am very proud of you too.”

“Wait a second is that…?” a nearby voice wondered aloud, catching Xenia and Saya’s attention.

“That voice,” Xenia blinked.

“Could it be?” Saya echoed.

“Sister? Is that you!?” A familiar woman’s voice called from behind. Saya and the others turned to see a young woman in a modest long draping black dress with a black hood over her head, small twirls of her blonde hair floating around her pristine blue eyes. She was a saintly young woman, modest and pure as well as enigmatic, concealed by her uniform. Her soft face and big blue eyes, however, were enough to give away her identity.

“Lillia?” Xenia asked her, her eyes growing wide with surprise.

“Xeny! It is you!” the woman cheered as she leapt at her with a hug. “Oh, how I have missed you,” she giggled.

“Who is this?” Phordata inquired.

“That’s Princess Lillia. She’s their sister,” Aria explained. “Not sure what she’s doing here though.”

“Is that? Aria!? You’re here as well?” Lillia smiled. “You’ve sure grown a lot, huh?” she giggled.

“Y-yeah,” Aria nodded sheepishly, as she scratched her cheek.

“I see, you two must be here as Lumina Knights. So, that means Aria finally joined. That’s excellent news,” Lillia glowed with joy.

“Th-thanks,” Aria nodded sheepishly.

“Oh, and who are these two,” she asked looking at Saya and Phordata.

“She doesn’t know?” Phordata looked at Saya inquisitively.

“Sister? She was not present when everything happened. She is normally training at one of the neighboring temples, so she was absent at the time,” Saya explained, a downtrodden look upon her face.

“Sister? What is this girl talking about?” Lillia turned her gaze to Xenia and Aria clearly befuddled.

“I… uh… well,” Saya stammered. Aria put her hand upon Saya’s shoulder and shook her head then turned her attention towards Xenia.

“Captain, a word please,” Aria said walking towards Xenia.

“Hmm?”

“I think it best if we talk to Princess Lillia alone for the moment,” she whispered. “I… I don’t want to force Saya through another situation like what happened with when we met William.”

“Yes, that is a fair point,” Xenia nodded. “Lillia,” she said in a louder voice. “Would you mind coming over here for a moment? There is an important matter that I would like to discuss in private.”

“We’ll be right back, okay Saya,” Aria nodded to her.

“Right,” Saya nodded back with a trusting smile.

“Okay sister,” Lillia said tilting her head slightly from confusion, the three entering a nearby alleyway.

“My, hasn’t she gotten quite considerate,” Phordata laughed.

“Nay, she has always been considerate,” Saya protested.

“Are you certain you aren’t getting a tad defensive of her because of your affections?” she chuckled.

“Of course not. Aria can be quite thickheaded at times, but she is not so inconsiderate,” Saya huffed as she crossed her arms. “Most of the time,” she mumbled.

“Hehe, is that so,” Phordata chuckled. “Well, regardless, I am glad that she’s being so considerate of you. Honestly all of the knights have been better than most knights I’ve known over the years. I’m rather proud of them in all honesty,” she gave another chuckle, leaving Saya with an awkward frown. “So, tell me a bit about this Lillia.”

“Oh, yes. Lillia is the second youngest of our family, two years my elder. We used to play all the time as children. She has always been a sweet girl, happy and excitable. Although I have seen less of her since she started her training to be a priestess, like mother. She would often come visit us around Christmas and other holidays. Although, that has become less common recently.”

“A priestess for the church, huh? That is rather precarious then.”

“Precarious? Why?”

“I don’t believe I have to tell you that the church has been our mortal enemy for centuries. Depending on the strength and form of her faith, that may present problems,” she explained leaving an uncomfortable silence between the two.

* * *

“What’s the matter you two? Who was that girl?” Lillia asked as they settled in a nearby alleyway. “And Xenia, what’s with that outfit?” she asked as she eyed her loose dark red gown. “I thought you normally wear your armor when you’re out like this?”

“Sorry, you’ve missed a lot, Princess,” Aria frowned. “We’ll do our best to explain though.”

“What do you mean?”

“Sister. I am uncertain how to explain all of this, but back during the beginning of Fall, a lot happened. Not long after… our youngest’s birthday.”

“Youngest? You mean Gi-…” Lillia attempted to confirm.

“Yes,” Xenia cut her off. “I apologize if this may sound odd, but please do not use that name,” she said softly.

“Xenia?” Lillia looked at her concernedly. “What’s happened? You’re acting so strangely. Almost as if...” she blinked concernedly. “Please, tell me what has happened.

“The youngest heir has gone through a lot of changes,” Aria explained, Lillia giving an increasingly confused stare.

“Changes?” she took a deep breath, “you had me scared that our dear brother had met a tragic end or had committed some heinous crime,” she pouted slightly. “Please do not scare me like that.”

Aria sighed. “I’m sorry, it’s just...” Aria tried to find her words before shaking her head. “I’m just going to come out and say it. That girl over there, she’s your sister.”

“She’s my… what?” Lillia blinked. “Wait is this like one of those stories? Is she some secret child mother or father had?” Lillia’s eyes twinkled excitedly.

“N-no!,” Xenia yelped. “Where did you get such a preposterous idea?”

“Well, such stories are all over the convent. They’re really quite thrilling,” Lillia giggled.

“I see someone still has her hyperactive imagination,” Xenia sighed. She picked up her lips into a gentle smile. “You really have not changed at all, have you?”

“And you’ve changed a lot,” Lillia frowned. “You’re usually much sterner and, er, well fierce.”

“I suppose that is true” Xenia gave a hearty chuckled.

“My, oh my,” Lillia excitedly cupped her head in her right hand. “You remind me of when we were kids. I rather missed this side of you. I’ve always missed my gentle big sister,” she giggled as Xenia blushed. “So reliable and dare I say cute,” Xenia’s face ignited at the word as Lillia giggled.

“Hey now, let’s not get side-tracked,” Aria intervened.

“Oh, right, so this new sister and G…” she stopped as she looked at their frowns, “er, our youngest. What exactly happened?”

Aria sighed. “Well, you see, uh, well…”

“Yes, yes…?” Lillia impatiently prodded her with an eager smile.

“I’m really bad at this?” Aria chuckled hesitantly.

Xenia chuckled, the humor breaking her embarrassment as Lillia pouted. “Lillia, the girl over there is named Saya.”

“Saya?”

“Yes, and Saya is our youngest sibling.”

“But G-…er…what about…oh, I know! What about the sixth heir?” Lillia asked, clapping her hands as she believed herself quite witty. “The sixth heir was the youngest, right? How could that have changed?”

“Well, uh…” Xenia tried to explain, uncertain what to say.

“Geez, you two really are bad with this stuff, aren’t you,” Honey giggled as she appeared behind them.

“H-honey!?” Aria jumped.

“Oh, my goodness, a buna!?” Lillia hopped in place excitedly, being held down by Xenia. “She’s so cute!”

“Lillia, please contain yourself,” Xenia scolded her, Honey giggling.

“What they’re trying to say, is that the girl over there, Saya, she is your youngest sibling. She is also the sixth heir. The same one you’re thinking of,” Honey explained with a nod.

“Huh?” Lillia looked at her. “But that doesn’t…” she looked to Xenia who nodded. “Huh?” she looked to Aria who also nodded, with an uncertain look. “But then, what happened to brother?” she looked on frightfully.

“This may be difficult to accept, but your ‘brother’ is and always was Saya. Even if you and she didn’t know it. She, the one you knew as your youngest brother, was always in truth your sister,” Honey smiled.

“Brother was always my… but what does that…” Lillia blinked as if in a daze.

“It’s going to be okay. We’ll explain everything,” Xenia smiled.

* * *

“Is that so?” Phordata laughed.

“Yes, she pouted the whole way back,” Saya giggled. “She has disliked going to the labs ever since.”

“Heh, I wouldn’t want to either if I got sprayed with some smelly plant gas. And my magic is all about plants,” Phordata laughed. “Knowing your human mages it probably wasn’t too helpful as fertilizer, was it?”

“Yes, yes, I heard that the farmers were rather displeased with it,” Saya giggled.

“You two seem to be having fun,” Honey commented as the four returned.

“Aunt Honey? You have all returned, and…” Saya looked behind her to see the others, including Lillia who was looking down at the ground. She frowned, taking a deep breath, preparing for a harsh reunion. “L-lillia...”

“S-Saya?” Lillia asked. “Th-that’s your name, right?”

“Y-yes, th-that is correct,” she blushed out of anticipation as Lillia walked over to her and sat down next to her. Without warning Lillia pulled her close, her head landing on her sister’s ample chest. “L-Lillia?”

“I’m so sorry I wasn’t there for you,” she quietly cried. “You must’ve been terrified. But it’s all okay. I’m here now,” her voice was gentle and soft as she rested her cheek upon her head.

“Y-you are okay with this?” Saya whimpered.

“How could I not be okay with it? My only little sister is happy. That’s all that matters to me,” she pet Saya’s head. “I’m so happy for you, proud too. It must’ve been really scary and difficult for you.”

“Lillia,” Saya took in a deep breath as she smiled her anxieties lifting. As she leaned in to return her hugs, she could feel warm tears encroach upon her eyes and trickle down her cheek. “Thank you so much,” she practically sank into her sister’s warm embrace.

“Guess all of my concerns were for nothing then,” Phordata chuckled.

“Yeah, she took it really well,” Honey smiled elegantly. “Well, once I got around these two.”

“H-hey, we already know I’m not good with this stuff,” Aria protested.

“And I am still learning with how to express myself again too,” Xenia sighed with a disappointed look.

“Aunt Phordata, right?” Lillia asked.

Phordata snapped her attention to the young Princess priestess. “Yes?”

“Thank you for helping my sisters, Aunt Phora,” she smiled.

“Oh?” she blushed a little. “Haha, yes, of course. Family really matters after all,” Phordata beamed.

“Aunt Phora?” Saya copied Lillia as she pulled away from her. She began to chuckle. “I like that one a lot,” Saya giggled.

“Of course. I make the best nicknames, you know that,” Lillia giggled. “Though I can’t think of a better name for you Saya. You really picked the best name for yourself,” the two giggled to each other.

“Ah, that brings back memories,” Honey giggled. “She used to call you that when you were kids, didn’t she?”

“Who did?” Xenia puzzled.

“Your mother. Elesa would always call me that,” Phordata said wistfully. “Which reminds me, does she know?”

“About what you all are? And mother?” Lillia asked in confirmation, Phordata nodding. “Yes, they explained that too,” Lillia frowned. “I always had a feeling something like that was the case, but I was never certain until now.”

“What do you mean?” Saya asked.

“As I’ve been training to be a priestess, I’ve had to read a lot of historical records. I noticed a lot of stuff in my readings. A lot of it unpleasant, inconsistent, and suspicious. I couldn’t say or do anything about it though, given my situation. I couldn’t go home, and if I mentioned it, I likely would have been punished, so I simply kept quiet about it.,” she frowned.

“I take it you mean the variety of hunts against our kind and pieces of Luxur’s history?” Phordata asked grimly.

“Yes, as well as documents related to the treatment of demons and acts of appropriation among other things. The proverbial underbelly of the church. I was tasked with such things due to some agreement between them and father. Like I said it wasn’t just your kind as well, but dealings with bounded demons and other creatures that have been used as servants. It was rather distressing how casual such horrid treatment was for them. I feared I would always remain powerless against it all,” she frowned.

“Lillia,” Saya frowned in response as she held her sister close. “You no longer have to carry such a burden alone.”

“Thank you Saya,” she smiled.

“I’m glad you’re so accepting,” Honey smiled.

“I mean, I’d be lying if I said wasn’t apprehensive,” Lillia gave a meek smile. “But you helped return smiles to the faces of my dear sisters. I think that’s plenty proof of your benevolent spirits, and for me that’s enough to trust you,” she nodded to the two.

“You really have not changed in the slightest sister,” Saya smiled.

“And I don’t plan on it either,” she grinned smugly. “But all that being said. There is another reason why I was suspicious of everything at the castle,” the others looked at her with shock. “Tell me. Is Mable with you all?”

35