Chapter 10-2: Reunion of Sisters
491 6 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Like I said in part one, this chapter is a big one, and this part gets a little heavier.

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Content Warning: This chapter has instances of

Spoiler

abuse, abandonment, misgendering, and deadnaming.

[collapse]

“This should be the place,” Saya said as she guided Mable, Abbysia, and Noire through the forested path, emerging at the caravan.

“Where are we?” Abbysia questioned as she spied the caravan, spotting a young woman approaching them.

“Who is that?” Noire cowered next to Abbysia.

“It is alright,” Saya smiled. “That is my sister.”

“Good, you’ve all arrived,” Lillia smiled as they emerged from the foliage.

“Princess, it’s been a while,” Mable gave a soft smile, the sudden brushing of her wings on her leg alerting her again to her newly awakened form.

“It has been a while,” Lillia chucked as she followed the bounce of her wings as the others arrived behind her.

“Um, I suppose I should explain this, huh?” she frowned, Saya gripping her hand to give encouragement. “Princess, I’m…”

“It’s okay Mable,” Lillia smiled. “I already know.”

“You do?” Saya gawked. “Aria, did any of you…?”

“No, we didn’t,” Aria shook her head confusedly. “We were going to wait for Mable to tell her herself.”

“Lillia, what is all of this about?” Xenia looked to her sister.

“Truth be told, I was returning home under the guise of a short visit, but it wasn’t the true purpose of my trip,” she sighed. “While training, I met a traveling woman who had sought me out,” she turned around to face her carriage, “and she was looking for Mable,” the door opened.

“Y-you’re…” Mable’s eyes trembled as tears began to flow, a tall elven woman with long blonde hair and crisp blue eyes descending the carriage. “Yule?”

“Mable? Do you know her?” Saya asked.

“Wait a moment,” Xenia blinked. “Another elf… Then does that mean you are Mable’s sister?” the elven woman nodded.

“Yule… you…” Mable’s voice shook.

“Mable,” Yule smiled. “I’m glad I finally found you. It took me so long,” she began to tear up as her face lit up with a brilliant smile. “I’ve missed you so much.”

“Um, is anyone else confused here?” Aria asked.

“Allow me to explain,” Lillia took a deep breath. “Yule has been searching for Mable for a long while now, years in fact. She came to my convent searching for me after hearing rumors of a teal haired elf who resided in Luxur. We met and she told me a chilling truth about the Kingdom, a secret that was hidden from all of us,” she took another deep breath as she looked to the others. “All of you, the truth is that what we were told as children was a lie. Father didn’t take Mable in to protect her, but rather…” she looked to Mable who looked away, evading eye contact. “The truth is Mable, that you… you were purchased by our father.”

“The king purchased…?” Aria repeated confusedly, her face fallen from shock before looking to Mable who cringed in pain and then looking to Xenia noticing her saddened yet stable expression. “Princess? Did you know?”

Xenia sighed. “I apologize. I had not desired to keep it a secret, but Mable entrusted me with that knowledge after we got lost in Winterfell, and we had promised to keep it secret,” she looked to Mable. “I apologize Mable. I had not…”

“It’s okay,” Mable shook her head. “I understand. Neither of us expected this.”

“I see,” Lillia frowned, “so you knew then. I apologize. I should have confirmed it with you first. I’m sorry Mable.”

“It’s fine,” Mable sighed.

“Hold on,” Aria nearly shouted. “You’re saying that Mable was purchased? Like some commodity? Why!?”

“I… I don’t know,” Mable sniffled. “But I think it was due to…these,” she wept as her wings curled around her.

“I apologize,” Yule sighed. “Do you all mind if I speak to her alone for a moment?” The others nodded.

“Of course, Yule,” Lillia nodded. “Take all the time you need. Sisters, Aria, let us give them some space,” she waved them away.

“We shall wait for you over there, okay Mable?” Saya tried to give a reassuring tone, only to drop into a frown as she beheld her friend’s distress before following Lillia away.

Xenia sighed approaching Mable. “It shall be okay Mable,” she nodded with a comforting smile. “No matter what, I shall be here to support you. Remember that, okay?” Mable nodded in response. “I shall see you soon.”

 Yule approached Mable and held her hand. “Please, come with me,” she gave a gentle smile as she led her a bit away to a small, long log that lay in the opening. She moved in hugging her as they set themselves down. “I’ve missed you, Mable.”

“Yeah,” Mable mumbled.

“Mable, I’m sure this has all been difficult for you,” Yule frowned. “You were so young. I imagine it must’ve been terrifying and confusing for you, and I’m certain you have questions, like...”

“Like why I was sold to Luxur for being a half demon,” Mable mumbled.

“Yes...” Yule looked toward the ground. “I know that it’s...”

“What would you know!?” Mable snapped, tears streaming down her face. “You weren’t thrown away like I was! You’re not even like me, you’re not...” she hesitated as she saw two leathery black wings emerge from Yule’s back. “...a half demon?”

“Mable,” she sighed, “of course I am.” Mable looked at her with shock. “We share the same parents,” she smiled. “We share the same blood.”

“Then...why?”

“It will sound petty, because it is, but it’s because of our hair colors. I inherited Dad’s hair color, and at first, it seemed that you did too. When you were a baby, your hair was blonde, like mine, but one day your hair began to change and became teal like mother’s,” Yule explained, her hand clutching her dress. “Back then she was hiding, pretending to be an elf and had enchanted herself to match the role, but it didn’t take long for the chief to find out she was really a succubus after your hair changed,” she frowned. “She wound up having to run away to protect us. After that was when...”

“Dad sold me off,” Mable whimpered. Yule looked at her with sorrow in her eyes.

“It wasn’t like that. He tried to protect you. I promise,” Yule’s voice shook.

“How is selling me off protecting me!?” Mable snapped. “I saw the papers in the castle, I know he was paid. The whole village was and...”

“And Dad fought it the whole way. He wasn’t the one who did this,” Yule trembled, tears escaping down her cheeks. “He didn’t. I swear.”

“Why are you…?” Mable was dumbfounded as she watched Yule’s sudden tears roll down her face.

“Dad, he fought it. I swear he did. The chief,” she gripped her dress tight. “That bastard contacted Zerto on his own. Then when that awful day came, he had our teachers isolate us, and had father imprisoned. They stopped both of us from trying to reach out to you. When I finally caught up to you, it was too late,” she whimpered. Mable remembering that horrible moment, hearing Yule scream for her as the knights pulled her into their wagon, the memory sending shivers through her body.

“After that I was brought to that monster, and he brought me to dad. He just watched as I cried in his arms about what happened, it crushed him,” she cried. “And then to rub salt in our wounds that bastard gave Dad a sack of gold and told him to move on. Given a bag of coins to replace you. Dad was overcome with grief. First, he lost mom, and then he lost you,” she sniffled. “Ever since it was like each day took away more of him before he finally passed away. He just withered away before my eyes. He never even used that money, it was like giving up what little he had to remember you. He buried it like a grave to remember you and mom. I… I felt terrible taking it, but it was my only way to find you.”

Mable was quiet, her voice and whimpers silenced by an inescapable dread. Did her father really care for her? Did her mom really leave to protect them? All this time she was certain her father had sold her off and her mother abandoned her. Yet in the end she was wrong? All she could do now was ask, “why? Why did any of this have to happen? I don’t understand. Why was I…?” she choked.

Yule managed to wipe some of her tears before she continued. “Like I said,” she sniffled, “it’s so petty and ridiculous. Truly it is. A few hundred years ago, things would’ve been different. I’m certain you don’t know this, few beyond the Elven Domain do, but the fairies North of the Elven realm has long since kept a pact with demons to keep them safe, hiding Revan from the outside world. Our people participated in that for a long time, it was even how mother an father first met, they met as children during those peaceful time. But elven kind and the fairies up North have had fraying ties for generations,” she explained.

“For the longest time elves and fairies worked together to safeguard those who were vilified by the church,” she continued. “There was a time when people like us were all over, as demons and elves lived together in harmony along with the fairies who safeguarded us all. But in recent generations that connection has been swaying and decaying. Most half demon elves have moved Northward to the realm of the fairies and even further to where the demons live now. And all the while the rest of our people have become more bigoted and cruel. There are even rumors now that the current Princess, the heiress to the throne, intends to severe connections with the fairies altogether and ally herself with the church. It’s become terrifying to live there.”

“I had no idea,” Mable frowned. “I always assumed I was sold off because of greed. I had no idea things had gotten so awful there. It mustn’t have been easy for you either. Especially if you had to...” she felt tears well in her eyes, “watch him die.”

“It hasn’t been, but it’s nothing compared to what you went through” Yule said passing a forlorn look to Mable. “But it’s okay, since I finally managed to find you, Mable.”

“Yule,” she whimpered. “Thank you for coming to find me,” she cuddled up to her sister. “I really missed you,” she cried.

“And I missed you,” Yule whispered. “I thought about you every day, hoping you were alright. I’m so glad we’re together again.”

“So am I,” Mable nodded. “But what do you intend to do now?”

“Well, I was originally intending for us to travel up North and take you away from Luxur, but that was when I assumed you hated being here, before I knew you had such precious companions,” Yule smiled. “And a beloved,” she looked toward Xenia with a kind grin.

“Th-that’s not… We’re not...”

“It’s okay. I’ll stick with you and help however I can. I came here because I want to be with you, not to take you away from those you care about. And don’t worry, I didn’t have much I wanted to return to anyway,” Yule chuckled. “After how everyone acted about you, it changed how I saw them. I… I would rather not return there.”

“Yule,” Mable gave an apprehensive look.

“I’m glad to be with you again, Mable,” Yule said standing up. “I won’t leave your side again, I promise.”

“Thank you, Yule,” Mable nodded as she rose to meet Yule’s height, the two giving a gentle hug.

“Well then, shall we return to the others?” Yule winked, Mable nodding as her wings awkwardly bounced behind her. “Right, I should show you how to put those away later,” she chuckled as they returned. “Oh, one last thing, though. Given how you’ve been acting, I imagine you powers recently awakened, right?” Mable nodded again. “Would you like me to speak to the others about everything? You’ve already got so much else on your plate.”

“I think…” Mable hesitated. “I think that would actually be nice. I want to tell them, but…” Yule stroked her head with a considerate nod. “But would you not tell them about our family? I’m not sure I’m ready to have the know about that,” she frowned.

“I understand,” Yule gripped Mable’s hand. “Leave it to me. You just be sure to go and rest up.”

“Yeah,” Mable smiled as she looked over to where Saya and Xenia were sitting.

“Oh, Mable. Are you feeling, okay?” Saya asked as she waved her over to a bench beside one of the carriages. “It sounded like you two were a little upset over there. I was getting a little worried.”

“Yeah, but we’re okay now. Thanks for worrying about me, though,” Mable gave a soft smile as she hugged Saya. “Thank you for staying by my side.

“Of course,” Saya grinned as Xenia nodded beside her. “If you want… huh?” she looked up to see Aria waving her over with Lilia and Yule beside her. “What are they up to?” she wondered aloud. “I should go see what they want. I shall talk to you two later,” she waved them goodbye.

“My, she’s become so warm and considerate since we left,” Mable grinned. “She’s really come a long way, hasn’t she?” she turned to Xenia. “Both of you have.”

“You as well,” Xenia chuckled. “It sounded like you two had a lot to talk about over there, huh?”

“Yeah. Honestly, it’s been so much, and it kinda scares me. Yule said people like us are hated even back in the realm of the elves, and now being like this,” she looked to her wings, “I’m starting to wonder if I’ll ever really be safe,” she said trying to stop her tears. “Will I ever have a place to belong?”

“Of course, you will. After all, I shall be with you and I will always protect you, no matter what,” Xenia gave a warm comforting smile.

“Yeah,” Mable chuckled. “I hope that can always be true,” she said as she leaned her head on Xenia’s lap, Xenia softly petting her. Such a warm soft feeling, it was irresistible and so comforting. She could only sink deeper into the comfort as her eyes grew heavy and the flames danced before her gently lulling her to sleep. She smiled as she saw purple wisps of flame danced alongside them, assured that a certain Princess was watching over her. For now, at least, she finally felt safe in her warm lap.

* * *

“And that’s the situation,” Lillia looked away in shame. “Father effectively purchased her to be a servant from their chief.”

“I see,” Saya frowned as she reflected on the news.

“There’s more,” Yule sighed, “but that’s for Mable to speak of if, and when she is ready.”

“I understand,” Saya nodded. “I am certain there are many things she is not comfortable sharing. Even if we are friends, her time at the castle must not have been as joyous as we believed,” she lamented. “Father,” she whispered, “why have you done these things? Why have you gone to such extents to cause such harm?”

“Saya,” Lillia frowned.

“What he has done to mother and Mable. What he has concocted and concealed from us. These experiments on demons. All the bloodshed in Ethnerta. It is all too much. We have to stop him,” Saya’s eyes shook.

“Saya, do you understand what you’re saying?” Aria asked. “Phordata and Honey lost everything just trying to resist him, and they had a whole country on their side.”

“I have to agree with Aria,” Phordata said, her and Honey approaching. “As much as I would love to end that monster, what you want is not feasible.”

“But we have to try,” Saya nearly shouted. “Mother is still suffering because of him. And who knows what else he is doing. We already know he has been hiding those experiments on demons. What if there are others who suffered because of that? What if he is hiding more? What if others are hurting right now because of him?”

“Saya, please,” Honey gave a soft pout. “None of us think you’re wrong, but we don’t have the strength to oppose him. Helping Abby was one thing, but if we were to challenge him and lose, then we could lose all we’ve gotten back.”

“But…”

“No, I think Saya is right,” Lillia shook her head. “I think it’s at least worth considering. After all, if we do nothing, he may still come after all of you, possibly even me. Besides, there’s still someone we can ask to help us,” she grinned.

“You don’t mean…” Aria blinked.

“Aurith!” Saya declared. “If we ask him, we might be able to figure something out. He is the captain of much of Luxur’s army and highly regarded by the rest.”

“But would that really be enough?” Honey quibbled. “Phory?”

“I suppose it is worth checking,” Phordata admitted. “And we are close enough to Luxur to attempt it.”

“Aunt Phora,” Saya smiled.

“Don’t take this to mean that I’m entirely on board. I’m most concerned with keeping our family safe above all else. If your brother denies us, then I will have to insist we retreat and return to our life up North. Understood?” Phordata explained.

“That is plenty. I have faith in Aurith,” Saya smiled.

“Geez, when did I become such a pushover,” Phordata chuckled.

 “I guess we’re decided then,” Aria said ruffling Saya’s hair. “You’re lucky you’re so cute, or else I’d be pretty frustrated with you,” Aria chuckled as Saya stuck out her tongue.

“Are you sure about this Phory?” Honey watched Phordata take a deep breath.

“I’m not, but…” Phordata frowned.

“Okay,” Honey said gripping her hand. “I’ll stay by your side, no matter what,” she smiled, Phordata leaning into her with a thankful hug.

* * *

He took a breath as he stood before the king’s personal chamber, his return finally reaching its end. Few ever entered the king’s personal chamber, only his most trusted generals and advisers were allowed that privilege as well as those entrusted with secret missions. He gave a hearty chuckle as he tried to muster his will. “Your highness!” William called out to the King. As he entered his chambers, they were dimly lit as the King sat quietly in meditation upon his plump chair, his arms crossed, and a scowl on his face. “I am sorry I have made you wait, I have returned from my mission.”

“Tell me William, were you successful in your endeavors? Or did you fail in your task to handle that abhorrent magic?” the King asked with a calm demand, with a breath of dismissiveness.

“I…” William hesitated. “I apologize father. I was unsuccessful. Gilbert and Xenia met with Phordata, and they allowed her to live, they chose to accept her boons as you suspected,” he grimaced. “However, it is worse than you considered. Those two... they even seemed to gain her unsightly witchcraft. I engaged them, but they were too strong. They repelled me and my forces. Those cowardly mercenaries fled after our defeat. I have only returned to inform you of these developments,” he emphasized the last part in efforts to curb his father’s anger. He was quite aware of his failures, but that couldn’t hold him back, not now.

“So, what do you hope to achieve by returning here when you have failed your mission?” the King’s tone remained calm and analytical. None of the expected anger was present in his voice. William relaxed as he remained composed.

“I have returned so we can formulate a plan and so I could acquire more soldiers to pursue my mission. I remain confident that I can end Phordata and return Prince Gilbert and Princess Xenia to answer for their crimes of aiding the witch, and for turning to witchcraft themselves. With my insight to their magic, we can surely form an effective strategy,” William said clearly and concisely, omitting the unsettling feeling he had felt. This is nothing more than a negotiation. His honor was on the line, and he had to succeed for his own desires, and he could not show weakness. The promise of unrestricted access to the witch’s corpse and magical materials were too much to give up on. A new age of magitechnology lay just beyond this mission. He had to achieve it, no matter what, no matter the blood. That combined with the sweet taste of revenge was all he needed to satiate his thirst.

“I see,” he sighed calmly. “You remain resolved and true, and with enough time you could succeed.”

“Then you’ll…!” William said giddily prompting the King to glare at him. William swallowed and breathed. These recent outbursts had become frustratingly more common, but they were under his control, he was certain of that. Just calm down and remain objective. Contain this foolish childishness, and remain focused on the goal.

“Your resolve means nothing to me William. You had a simple mission, and you failed,” the King snapped. “You shan’t get a repeat attempt.”

“Wait! Fath…your highness, please! Give me one more chance!” he pleaded.

“Nay, Aurith shall make clean your mess of mistakes in due time,” the king coldly replied.

“Aurith!?” he sneered. “That muscle-headed oaf? He wouldn’t be able to defeat Xenia much less a powerful witch like Phordata! She would sooner crush him! I’ve seen her power for myself! He wouldn’t stand a chance, but I promise that I…!”

“You petulant child!” the king shouted. “Your petty rivalry means naught to me! You have failed! I have no more patience for you! By the name of Zerto Lx Aurelo, begone from my sight!” the King declared.

“Your Highness! Father! Please!” he yelled back. This could not be happening. He was going to lose everything he desired to that foolish oaf? Again!? Just like how his past endeavors were continually quashed by Aurith’s leadership of that worthless army? It was anger inducing, wretched, and his eyes filled with hot tears. He struggled to keep his raging emotions at bay any longer, it was a strange and unusual sensation for him. “Please, father, give me another chance! Please!” he cried. As he reached out he felt a bubbling sensation within him. One familiar yet foreign, it wrenched through him, prying all his anguish free. It was making him lose control.

“Elesa, retrieve your sniveling child at once! I have no further use for this one!”

“M-mother?” he whimpered, his eyes wide from confusion.

“Yes, my husband,” a soft feminine voice answered from behind him. William turned to see his mother, Queen Elesa, in thick white saintly garb, revealing naught but a couple curls of her golden hair, shadowed by the light of the hallway. “William, it is time to relent. Now come with me my child! It is time,” she said with a gentle voice. He tried to object, but with her whisper, his strength succumbed.

“M-mother...”

With that, the light dimmed from William’s eyes. His hopes were torn asunder as his mother dragged him away, her powerful charms, allowing her to subdue him. His heart sank as he saw his father smirk in arrogance one last time. Zerto, his father, he despised him and saw him as incompetent, and now he could no longer prove him wrong.

“My dear, your eyes,” she gazed at the William’s listless eyes, “they remind of hers,” Elesa whispered. “I can only pray for you to find your way, my child.”

36