Chapter 11: Painting and Repose
568 6 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 

The carriage quietly rumbled as it passed over a clump of gravel, giving a small shake to the otherwise comfortable cabin. “Geez, this kind of reminds me of when we started traveling back in Fall,” Aria laughed as she shifted from the rumbling. “The nice, if bumpy, ride, the pleasant scenery, the good company,” she chuckled.

“It has been a rather long time since we have ridden in such nice accommodations,” Saya giggled.

“I would accept no less for my little sister,” Lillia matched Saya’s giggle. “After all the rough journeying you all have had to do, I would imagine this to be a nice respite. And it isn’t even cramped since Yule could house Xenia and Mable.”

“True, though I do miss Mable’s presence,” Saya lamented. “I have enjoyed our travels since we reunited sister. Spending time with you has been quite fun.”

“Me too,” Lillia bobbed slightly. “It has been quite enjoyable hearing everything you’ve been up to. Although, I must admit it is all quite humorous.”

“Humorous?”

“Well, take your taste in clothes,” Lillia looked over Saya’s blue dress, her eyes doting on the fanciful lace resting upon her shoulders before settling upon the floral ornament in her hair. “You used to have such a dull sense of fashion, but now you’re simple adorable,” she giggled, Saya fidgeting in embarrassment. “Aww, you just so precious, aren’t you?” she poked Saya’s chest, causing her sister to return her playful glance with flustered look.

“Must you tease me?”

“Hehe, of course,” she smiled. “But in all honesty. It is really comforting seeing you like this now. You’re clearly much more comfortable.”

“You think so?” Saya smiled bashfully.

“I do. For instance, the difference in tone between your stories in the castle and since you left,” she chuckled. “I can tell you really have been happier since your awakening. Though, now I have to wonder, did you hate your time before?” Saya retracted a bit upon hearing the question. “Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean…”

“No, it is alright,” Saya shook her head. “I just find those times to be… complicated to think about. Hatred would be the wrong term, but looking back on it, I never truly felt present in those times. I was there, and I cared about my life, but there was some kind of… distance. It hurt in plenty of ways, but I coped with that pain, although I doubt it was ever healthy in hindsight. Then, once I changed, it was impossible to bear it again.”

“I see,” Lillia chuckled. “I’m glad it all turned out well. I rather prefer you being the gleeful girl you are now.”

“Me too,” Aria said as she hugged up to Saya. “You’ve gotten so much cuter and sweeter since then,” she chuckled.

“All the better to enjoy you with,” Saya giggled before pecking Aria’s lips, the knight giving a happy grin.

“And it’s rather adorable seeing how close you two have gotten,” Lillia said. “At any rate, we’re finally coming up on that day. Which means today we’ll be making our final preparations.”

“Once we reach Gelin, right?” Aria placed her chin between her thumb and forefinger in consideration. “We’re going to need to find a messenger to contact the Prince while everyone else makes preparations.”

“Preparations?” Saya asked. “Remind me, what for?”

“Well, while none of us want to doubt him, should the Prince side against us, we’ll need to have a strategy to evade capture and get everyone back to safety,” Aria explained.

“You think brother would do that?” Lillia frowned.

“I do not,” Saya said with confidence, “he has always been a wise and considerate person. He will surely agree with us.”

“As much as I want to agree, I’m not so certain,” Aria lamented. “I think you may be right, but as Phordata has said before, the reality of the teachings we grew up with can be difficult to accept,” her voice was weighed with regret and sadness as she reflected upon the past.

“Aria,” Saya looked at her, her blue eyes shimmering with worry, “you are not still blaming yourself, are you?”

“I’m sorry Saya,” she frowned. “But I can’t forget how I hurt you,” Aria sighed. “I can’t forget, so I can remember what I’m trying to protect you from.”

“You’re very diligent, Aria,” Lillia chuckled.

“Only doing what I can.”

Saya quietly frowned and looked to the ground as she thought about Aria’s words. It was true that Aria’s actions hurt back when they first entered the Dark Forest. It was a deep intense pain that she still shivered from, a deep fear of rejection still clinging to her. But that was no longer how things were. She was no longer the frightened girl who hesitated to confess her feelings, and Aria was no longer the narrow-minded woman that tried to ignore both of their feelings. And yet, Saya could tell the weight and burden still lingered in Aria’s heavy eyes. And it was not just her, Xenia had confessed to much the same as well. They both still felt guilty, and she could not remove that burden, no matter how much she wanted to. But even so…

She looked to Aria. “Princess?”

“Aria,” she gripped her knight’s hand. “Please remember. Neither of us are alone any longer. I promise to carry your burdens with you, okay?”

Aria smiled. “Of course,” she nodded. “And I’ll carry yours,” they shared a smile.

* * *

“Goodness, it has been a while since we were last here,” Mable said as she stretched. “I must say, the snow really brings out the beauty of the city,” she giggled.

“You seem to be in a better mood,” Aria waved as everyone gathered in front of the inn that they stayed at before, Chateau Luminous, Fiona instructing the other knights to their individual tasks. “I take it you all had a good time?”

“Very much,” Yule nodded. “Being able to catch up this past week has been a lot of fun.”

“That is good to hear,” Saya smiled. “But what of Mable’s training?”

“It took some time, but Mable’s mastered the ability to hide her appendages, so there’s no fear for traversing the town,” Yule explained.

“Mhmm, and I learned a lot as I practiced,” Mable added. “For instance, I learned of a quiet village of…” she hesitated, “well your kind,” she said with a hesitant smile. “It apparently neighbors the Faerest to the Northeast.”

“I’ve never been, but I hear it’s a rather comfortable sanctuary for those evading unwanted eyes,” Noire commented.

“Is that true Aunt Phora?” Saya asked.

“It is,” she nodded. “I once considered returning there after the war, but I wasn’t comfortable staying so far away, so I chose to live to the North instead.”

“I see,” Lillia grinned. “Just couldn’t stay away from mother, could you?”

“Of course, I couldn’t,” Phordata chuckled. “At any rate. The knights all know what they need to do. Abbysia, Noire, and Honey are all going to attend to some contingencies for later.”

“Right,” Xenia nodded. “Meanwhile, Lillia shall go contact the messenger posted here and arrange for to send a message to Aurith. Would it be okay if I sent Aria with her, sister?”

“I have no complaints,” Aria smiled. “But why send Lillia?”

“If a anyone else goes to send the message, then father may learn that you two are here,” Lillia explained. “While it’s likely that father is keeping your circumstances secret, he likely has many contingencies for this kind of situation. Consequently, I’m the only choice that makes sense right now.”

“Similarly, I must assist Fiona in finding armor to hide our presence while we are here,” Xenia explained.

“They are abandoning the armor of the Lumina Knights?” Saya asked concernedly. “Then that would mean…”

“It is but a temporary measure,” Xenia reassured her sister. “After hearing what she truly did and represents, none of us want to abandon that armor. However, for now we must evade Zerto’s observation.”

“I see,” Saya frowned.

“It’s rather funny,” Mable chuckled. “I feel like you’re all following in her footsteps.”

“I can think of little else to honor her,” Phordata nodded. “At any rate, I will have to wait for Lillia to finish.”

“You need to speak with me Aunt Phora?” Lillia blinked.

“I just need to determine if you have a seal in place like Xenia did. But that’s best done after you send your message,” Phordata explained. “No need to stir your potential magic when you have important matters to attend to.”

“I see,” Lillia brought her hand to her chest. “If these two didn’t run from it, then neither shall I.”

“Excellent. What about you Saya?” Phordata looked to her with quiet eyes.

“I think I know what she wants to do,” Mable giggled. “There’s someone you’d like to see, huh?”

“Most certainly,” Saya smiled excitedly. “I have not seen her since before…” she blinked, “oh my.”

* * *

Saya took a deep breath, gripping her awkwardly large bag, as she looked upon the fanciful sign dangling above her that read “Illustrious Visions.” When she first arrived she noticed little about the sign, but over her travels and with her improved understandings she could now see the delicate workmanship of its design. The delicate curves of the lettering granting it a magical feel, and the bold blues and Purples that filled the layered words respectively. She could also discern the finer touches of the window painting, such as the delicate form of the fairy and how her wings looked like pink leaves of frosted sugar. She could feel the kind fluttery impulse of the painted individual and could only behold it with wonder and glee in her heart. She turned to the door. She took a deep breath as she quietly wished for her friend’s company. Unfortunately, Mable was not around this time, but she was no longer the meek hesitant girl she had been at the time. A simple grin of excitement was all she needed to propel herself now.

She placed her hand upon the door, and gave the knob as firm turn, before pushing it in, a bell chiming at her arrival. She looked up in surprise. That was odd, that was not there last time, but the simple mechanism that held the bell had evidently been there for quite some time. She even recalled it when leaving before. She shook her head and proceeded into the store.

“Hey, greetings,” a jubilant man’s voice heartily greeted her. She looked back to the counter to see a man with scraggly brown hair that seemed mismatched with his finely trimmed beard. He wore a well-worn grey shirt that seemed to be darkened from a once pure white wool, covered in a leather apron with small burns. “Welcome in!” he grinned. She gawked at him in surprise. Who was this man? “Hmm? Something wrong Miss?”

“O-oh, nothing,” she shook her head, concealing her blush. It had been a while since she had heard someone refer to her as such. The last time had been on the journey to meet Phordata, and her mind had been quite scattered. She gave a quiet giggle as she basked in the warmth such a simple title granted to her. “I-I am…,” she cleared her throat, resuming her refined manner. “I am looking for Hannah.”

“Hannah?” the man looked at her with a blink. He grinned, “ah, such a lady with such elegant cloth,” he looked her over, eyeing the deep blue dress she had chosen to wear and its aqua sash wrapping quietly around her waist. He glanced at the fine lace that fell over her shoulders and the beautiful shimmer of the skirt. She blushed as he eyed her. “You must be the one she met back in the fall,” he laughed. “She said she met a princess type when Maya and I were busy. Nice to meet you, I’m her father, Flint.”

“Tis a pleasure, sir,” she bowed.

“Ah, you don’t gotta bow for some ol’ blacksmith like myself,” he chuckled embarrassedly.

“Blacksmith?” Saya tilted her head.

“That’s right. I normally work as a blacksmith. But I help pitch in when Maya…, er, Hannah’s mother, is busy. They’re talking to an important customer at the moment.”

“Oh, should I come back later then?”

“Nah, just give me a second,” Flint gave a bold grin. “Maya just wanted to teach her some business stuff, I’m sure they’ll both be eager to get interrupted for you,” he said as he headed towards a door across from the counter. Saya fidgeted in place for a moment, playing at the handle of her large bag as she waited. Before long she heard a series of quick thumping. Someone descending the stairs? The door opened again.

“Gillian!” the young brunette woman declared as she threw herself at Saya. “It’s been a while!” she chuckled.

“It certainly has Hannah. You seem to be doing well,” she chuckled.

“Yeah,” she nodded. “And you seem to be doing well too.”

“I am,” Saya chuckled, bringing her curling hand to her mouth.

“Is that bag what I think it is?” Hannah eyed the awkwardly large leather bag. It wasn’t terribly thick, but it was very tall and wide. Saya nodded to Hannah’s excitement. “Come, come. Let’s go to my room and look at them up there,” she pulled Saya along into the door across from the counter and up a set of stairs behind it, entering a door across from the stairwell.

“Wow, you’ve gotten good,” Hannah chuckled as she flipped through some paintings Saya pulled from her bag. “I love these trees, they look like they’re made of crystal.”

“They are an elusive tree far up North,” Saya explained.

“Wow, you’ve been that far North?” Saya nodded. “Did you see one of those dragon folk? Or any of those ice ladies I’ve heard about? Something onna, I think?”

“Not that far North,” Saya chuckled.

“Still though, they’re really pretty. You did really well to catch their glisten. That’s especially hard with watercolor,” she said in awe, Saya biting her tongue as she resisted the urge to discuss her magic. “I’m so jealous. You’ve gotten to explore so much, Gillian,” she quivered a little at the name. It was not the same kind of discomfort she felt when William barked her former address, but it was an awkward sensation. “Gillian?”

“I apologize,” Saya shook her head. “I had forgotten is all.”

“Forgotten?”

“That name was an alias I was going by back then,” Hannah frowned a little. “No, no, I did not mean to lie, but…”

“No, I understand. It must be dangerous for a princess like you to travel like this, huh?” she moped.

“You are correct,” Saya gave a gentle nod, hiding her shame. It was not a lie per se, but she could not tell the whole truth, an edge of anxiety digging into her. “However, I am no longer bound by that,” she smiled, pushing aside her doubts and catching Hannah’s attention. Regardless of the how and why, she was resolute and true now. “My true name is Saya.”

“Saya?” Hannah’s eyes sparked. “That’s such a pretty name. Definitely fits a pretty princess like you, Saya,” she giggled. Saya blushed. ‘Pretty princess.’ It was so similar to her old nickname, the ‘Pretty Prince,’ but those two extra letters changed everything for her. She smiled elegantly as she looked to at Hannah.

“Thank you, Hannah. That is very kind of you,” she giggled back.

“I’m just telling the truth,” Hannah giggled. “If anything, you’re even prettier than last time. You seem so… happy and comfortable, it’s almost like you’re glowing,” she blushed a little.

Saya smiled as any amount of hesitation washed away. Hannah, her friend, had only known her a brief time, and their encounter was so early on in her changes. Looking back on it, those days were some of the first where she began feeling comfortable with her identity, a comfort which helped reveal who she really was. To return now and have that recognized… it was nothing like the affirmation that she received from her family and friends. She simply could not stop smiling. Their time followed a similar flow of comfort and joy as they shared stories of their past few months.

“Ugh, he was such a jerk,” Hannah groused as she reflected upon one of her relationships. “He seemed all kind and gentlemanly, but then he started insulting me and acting like he was so much better than me.”

“He certainly does not sound pleasant.”

“Not at all. Oh, that reminds me,” Hannah looked to Saya. “I’m especially happy you came today.”

“Why is that?”

“His father is a big name in town, and he came here to commission mom for her services. The jerk noble boy tagged along,” she sighed. “Mom wanted me there to try and learn to handle problematic customers, and the whole time the guy was going on and on about how he was being heroic at some ball recently. I was trying to learn, and he just kept distracting me.”

“B-ball?” Saya’s voice shook.

“Yeah, apparently there was some ball for a noblewoman, and it got attacked or something. I wasn’t really paying attention. Oh, although apparently, he got humiliated after being rejected by some girl. He had a lot of awful things to say about her. Especially about her being really close with another girl there,” she moped, Saya growing quiet as she listened, hiding her falling spirit.

Hannah sighed. “Don’t tell anyone I said this, but I kinda envy her,” she confessed. “I know what the church says about that kind of stuff, but I’m kind of jealous of the strength it must take to turn him down and then spend time with a girl like that. I wish I could be like that,” she chuckled.

“Yeah,” Saya gave a quiet smile as she looked out the window to see the darkening sky. She sighed.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Hannah blushed. “Guess I kind of got carried away there. S-sorry if I upset you or…”

“No, it is not that,” Saya shook her head.

“Oh?” Hannah looked to her hesitantly.

“I am simply realizing how late it is getting. Unfortunately, we are only stopping here over night, and we are leaving early tomorrow, so I must take my leave,” she lamented.

“Oh,” Hannah’s face sank. Saya looked to her, noticing an amount of pain in her face. She chuckled.

“I would very much like to see you again though. We are likely going to be returning here quite soon. And I would love to see you then,” she smiled.

“Y-yeah,” Hannah hesitantly nodded. “I would too,” her voice grew quieter.

“Well then I should be off then,” Saya frowned.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Hannah rose to her feet and escorted her down the stairs and past her father, an unfamiliar woman with long dark hair in a pink blouse and tan smock, the both waving her goodbye.

“Uh, take care, Saya,” Hannah said in a light tone.

“You take care as well,” Saya nodded. “I hope to see you soon, Hannah.”

“Me too,” Hannah nodded, rubbing her arm hesitantly. “I hope…” she whispered something to herself. Saya quietly considered what those words were likely to be as she rose to her feet. She opened the door before turning once more to Hannah. “Princess?”

“I just want you to know. I do not think it strange to be attracted to women,” she smiled. “Even if the church says it is wrong, I think our hearts know best.” Hannah looked at her gob smacked, a fleck of a shimmering tear broaching her eyes before she rubbed it away.

“Y-yeah. You’re right,” she smiled with a nod. “I hope I see you soon,” she waved as Saya began to make her way away from the store that helped her change so much. A quiet smile rested upon her lips as she hoped her words would invite a similar comfort to bless her friend.

* * *

“Hmm,” Aurith grunted as he read through the document in his grasp, catching a handful of his short dark brown hair into his left hand. “So, it would be best to… no, perhaps not,” he muttered as he rummaged through various strategies in his mind. With his sister still gone, her duties to maintain the Kingdom’s guard fell entirely to him. He grumbled as he wrestled the immense number of duties before him.

At last, he released a deep sigh. “Sister, Xenia, where are all of you now?” he wondered. He had not heard a report from them in months, and their delay weighed heavily upon him. Surely, they had not failed. That would be absurd, even with their opponent being a witch. Even had they failed, he would certainly have heard of a messenger announcing their failure, right?

“Your highness?” a woman’s voice chirped as a maid curtseyed in the doorway to his office. “I have here your afternoon refreshments.”

“Thank you Ciri,” he thanked the dark-haired maid as she elegantly placed a cup of tea before him. “Tell me, has there been any word of…”

“There has not,” she cut him off. “I regret to say that there still has yet to be any information on the location of the Lumina Knights.”

“It is quickly approaching two seasons since their departure,” he sighed into his clasped hands. “I am beginning to grow concerned.”

“I can understand that your highness,” Ciri nodded. “However…”

“Captain!” a guard interrupted as he ran into Aurith’s office.

“Albert? What is the matter?” Aurith asked as Ciri elegantly moved to the side.

“Captain, it’s Prince William. I have come with information that he has returned from a visit to Lord Ilo’s domain,” he breathed heavily with a salute.

“What my brother does is of no concern to me. Now if that is all…”

“There’s more Captain,” Aurith sighed as the guard continued. “His report states that the manor was sieged.”

“Sieged? By whom? I would not expect Ilo to be a target of any of our neighbors,” he considered.

“It wasn’t any of our neighbors your highness. The report states it was a group of witches.”

“Witches!?” Aurith repeated. “Tell me, was one of them Phordata? Were the Lumina Knights pursuing her?”

“We don’t know,” the guard shook his head. “All we know is that Prince William reported the presence of several witches and a pair of demons.”

“I see,” Aurith grimaced. “Ciri,” he turned to the maid as she nodded. “Please, go fetch Prince William for me. I would like to speak with him directly about this matter,” he said Ciri bowing and beginning to head for the door.

“Please wait Lady Ciri,” the guard stopped her.

“Albert? What is the matter?” Aurith stared at him.

“Sire, it’s just,” the guard took a deep breath. “The King has ordered for the Prince to be sequestered. Something about his health being unstable.”

“I see,” Aurith grumbled. “Ciri, attempt to see if I may see him. Let me know if it proves to be a problem,” Ciri bowed before departing. “This is very troubling news. The Lumina Knights have been missing for several months, and now a group of witches and demons attack a lord’s manor close to the old Norther border?” he cogitated. “Lord Ilo is deep in complicated research, so I suppose it is not impossible for it to be an attack inspired by his own machinations. Even so…”

Aurith continued to rummage through his mind to make sense of this new information, gnawing upon it like a dog upon a bone. What little details he could garner ruminated within his mind, but little of substance settled into coherent form.

“Oh, Captain. There was one last thing,” the guard interrupted him once more.

Elsewhere, Ciri the maid made her way back towards the central building of the castle. Her mind bounced similarly to her Prince’s, only a scant few words departing her lips. “I hope you are all well,” she whispered.

* * *

“That is lovely news, my dear,” a cheerful voice glowed as a beautiful woman undid Aurith’s armor. Her long blonde hair fell upon her royal blue clothed back, her nightgown swaying as she tended to her husband. Her crisp green eyes were like ripe apples and her perfume matched their pleasant scents. The elegant beauty undid another buckle as she continued. “To hear that your sister is returning. I have yet to meet Lillia. I do hope we will get along,” she chimed.

“Nerivi,” Aurith sighed. “I understand you are excited, but the message was for me to meet her outside of the castle. I cannot ask you to accompany us out there. Especially with the recent news regarding Lord Ilo’s manor.”

“Oh, boo,” Nerivi pouted. “You know I can handle myself if combat. I will remind you that I have yet to lose to you in combat.”

“Even so,” Aurith frowned. “I cannot in good conscience endanger you. That aside, sister has asked to meet me alone. Although…” his face sank.

“Dear, you are getting lost in your thoughts again,” she grabbed his hand calling his sight to her. Her elegant smile softened his weary eyes as he looked upon her. “I know what you are thinking. You are concerned that this may be some form of trap, correct? After all why would your sister ask to meet you outside of the castle and not here, correct?”

“You know me well, my love,” he chuckled.

“It is not difficult,” Nerivi matched his chuckle with her own giggle. “After all, your tendency to overthink is precisely why I continue to outmatch you in combat.”

“It is quite unfortunate that a throne eludes you,” Aurith grinned. “Any kingdom would be blessed to have you lead it. Yet here you are. Stuck with a Prince unlikely to inherit the throne.”

“True,” she nodded. “Although, my cunning is specifically why my father vetted my suitors so heavily. He may not have admitted it, but it was clear he and the others feared me becoming a Queen. But while I was upset when I was younger,” she grasped his hand and moved before him, “I am more than happy with you as my to be husband.”

“Aye. I am most blessed to have found such a wonderful wife,” he smirked. “I could not ask for a more wise, kind, and considerate soul to spend my life with.”

“Which is exactly why you should listen to me and meet with your sister,” Nerivi wagged her finger much to Aurith’s amusement. “While it may be a trap, it may also be that your sister needs to speak to you in private. The source of the message checked out nice and well, and it would be foolishly bold of an assassin to bait one of the strongest warriors in the land.”

“I suppose you are right,” Aurith nodded.

“But if you are truly concerned. You could always bring along the strongest warrior in the land?” she gave a radiant grin.

“Then I suppose it is a good thing you have convinced me to trust Lillia and meet with her privately,” Aurith gave a teasing smile.

Nerivi raised her finger in protest before pouting. “Oh boo, you found my loophole,” she huffed.

“Do not worry. I shall be certain to make it up to you,” he grinned. “For now, I must be off.”

33