Chapter 12: Thickness of Uncertainty
554 14 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

The knight took a deep breath in, and released his breath, unleashing his sharp eyes toward the depths of the forested path before him. Luxur castle had long since been surrounded by a simple forest. Nothing like the thick and dense forests to the North, yet still a plentiful woods that made it a natural home to much wildlife, and full of easy terrain to both navigate and meet within. The message he had received indicated a ‘familiar place.’ The images quickly came to mind of him playing with his siblings and friends as young children. He had even used it since then to meet with his friends as he trained to be a knight. There was little doubt this was the spot, but even so, his mind began to consider the information at hand.

A curse, a witch hunt, months of silence, the recent attack by a group of witches, there was much to both consider and inform Lillia of. He quietly waited as he thought in the quiet clearing, only the crinkles and snaps of wildlife traversing the woods interrupting the silence. He placed his hands firmly upon his blade as it sank into the damp soil. He breathed in. He breathed out.

“Brother?” a familiar voice called out. He looked up to see a dark figure emerge. A woman in a dark nun like dress. Modest yet elegant; quiet and spiritual. There was little room for doubt. While it had been a long time since seeing her, he could only smile as he instantly recognized the girl. “It’s been so long,” she smiled.

“Indeed, it has, Lillia,” he nodded as she ran to hug him. “How have you been?”

“I have been well,” Lillia smiled. “Although, I didn’t come here with the best of tidings,” her smile began to drop.

“What do you mean?” Aurith asked, clenching his blade.

“Well, along the way home, I encountered a certain group of people,” she said, Aurith’s nerves spiking in preparation. “I think it will just be faster if you see them yourself,” she continued, waving a collection of shadows forward.

“You are…” Aurith’s mouth dropped in surprise as Xenia and Saya emerged, followed by Aria and a hooded woman he did not recognize. “Xenia, Gillian, and Aria. You are all safe?” he said with an edge of surprise.

“Tis been a while, brother,” Xenia smiled as she folded her arms, Aurith looking at her clothes and demeanor with confusion. “Right, I imagine you are confused by my new garb,” she smiled. “But before that,” she looked to Saya.

“Hello, brother,” Saya hesitantly nodded.

“I see your curse still has not been lifted,” Aurith frowned. “I take it then that the witch is still alive?” Saya nodded. “Does that mean she is responsible for the attack on Lord Ilo’s as well?” he mumbled.

“You are correct brother,” Saya confirmed, much to his surprise.

“You know of the attack?”

“Yes,” Saya nodded. “There is much we must tell you.”

“I see,” Aurith nodded. “I am here for you brother.”

Saya flinched. She had prepared for it, and while it did not sting as William’s malicious usage, the pain still lingered. She shook her head and looked at Aurith who tilted his perplexed head. “About that, brother. The truth is, I am no longer how you knew me,” she frowned. “I am not your brother. I am your sister.”

Aurith sighed maintaining his stoic facade. “Does this mean you relented due to the witch’s might?”

“No, brother. This is simply the fate that I desired,” Aurith blinked in shock, his eyes widening. “While the spell was not one I was initially comfortable with, after all of the time I spent like this, spent as a woman, I realized something. This is who I really am, who I always was and always wanted to be. The spell did not change me as father told us. It awakened me, the true me.”

Aurith looked to Xenia who nodded, and then to Aria who gave a similar nod, then back to Saya. Her eyes, they shimmered with fear and anxiety, yet glistened with honesty and power. He gave a solid sigh as he looked to her. “I take it this is something you have put significant thought into. And by Aria and Xenia’s expressions, I assume they have accepted this as well.”

“You aren’t confused by this Captain?” Aria asked.

Aurith gave a slow shake with his head. “Nay, that is incorrect Aria. In all honesty, I find myself befuddled and uncertain. But I have little idea of understanding of all that you have encountered. I may have my objections, but I also trust your judgement, as well as Xenia’s,” Aurith gave a stern look to them full of confidence and strength. “However, I must know. Gillian, are you truly fine with this arrangement?”

“I am more than fine with it,” Saya gave a soft smile. “Although, I go by Saya now. Tis the name that is… the most me.”

“Saya? Hmm?” he grinned. “Tis a fine name. Your confidence speaks strongly of your decision. Although I am still concerned as to why you have been gone for so long.”

“My, oh my,” the hooded woman chuckled. “That’s quite the novel response, isn’t it? So, accepting, paying more concern to the time she’s been gone than her identity.”

“That reminds me, who is this woman accompanying you?” Aurith looked to the hooded one. “At first I assumed it was Mable, but clearly I am wrong about that.”

“Well, um,” Saya mumbled.

“Brother,” Xenia interjected. “You proposed we were gone for so long due to Saya’s situation. However, that is only partly true. Yes, her situation is why, but not because she accepted her identity. Rather,” Xenia took a deep breath. “The truth is that this woman here, is our missing aunt, mother’s sister, and the very one we were sent to hunt,” she explained as the woman removed her cowl, her long purple hair bouncing behind her, “Phordata.”

“Hello, my steely nephew,” Phordata grinned.

“Our… aunt?” Aurith’s face twisted with his confusion. “You cannot mean that the very witch who cursed Gi …er, Saya, is our…” his voice halted in his throat.

“It is true, brother,” Saya finished for him . “Phordata is our aunt. And even more than that,” she continued as she conjured a sphere of water in her hand, “the three of us are all witches.” She looked into his shocked face, returning it with a pleadingly look.

“How is that possible?”

“Well,” Saya breathed in as she began to recount the truth of their family. Aurith’s mind reeled as he heard the truth of their lineage, the true identity of their mother, and the horrid actions of their father. He gripped his blade in anger as he heard of the experiments done in the Kingdom’s name, and the lies they had been fed. Aurith’s gaze only intensified with each new comment before glaring back toward the castle every so often.

“So that is the truth,” Aurith sighed as he leaned down.

“Tis the truth,” Saya nodded.

“And what of you Lillia?” Aurith turned his attention to his sister. “Are you a witch too?”

“I am not,” she frowned. “Aunt Phora tested me on our way here. I don’t have mother’s witch blood,” she said with disappointment. “It would’ve been nice to join our sisters, but I am not like them.”

“I… see,” his mouth compressed with uncertainty.

“I know it’s a lot Captain, but please understand,” Aria looked at Aurith. “Saya, Xenia, and the rest of us, we only chose what was best for us and the kingdom. And we want to prevent anyone else being hurt by Zerto.”

“And I agree with them,” Lillia added. “Father. He’s done such horrible things to our family, to our people, and to so many others. So please. Please understand.”

“I am sorry sister,” Aurith shook his head. “I need time to consider your words. As general of the knights of Luxur, I must take my duties seriously. While I recognize your confidence in your claims, I cannot just simply ignore the history we have with witches, even if you claim it to be a mere fabrication.”

“But brother!” Lillia countered. “They’re our family! Our sisters! Even if Saya’s changes are confusing. Even if she and Xenia are both witches now. Even with everything we’ve been told about Phordata and other witches. They’re our family!” Lillia cried in desperation. “Please, Aury! I’ve already had to live separated from you all, to have our family torn apart like this again, because of these petty differences, it’s not fair! We should be together, not breaking apart because of such ‘duties.’ Please, I just… I want my family back.”

“Lillia, I am sorry,” Aurith grimaced.

“Lillia,” Saya gently took her hand. “Tis okay.”

“B-but…” her eyes swelled with tears. “Saya...”

“Brother, I understand your position. I do not want to accept it, but it is as you say, this is not a simple matter,” Saya said, fighting back her own tears. “But please, remember, no matter what, Xenia, Aria, Mable, even Phordata, as well as myself, we just desire to set things right. Lillia too,” she clenched her sister’s hand.

Aurith gave a warm yet solid smile and a slight nod. “Thank you, sister, I will not take your words lightly. I wish you the best, and I pray we never have to cross blades.”

“Aurith, I…” Xenia attempted to interject before being cut off by a shrill laugh.

“Pwahahaha!” the laugh cut through the trees to their side. “What a touching moment! But you know what? It’ll be even sweeter, once your blood’s splattered on the ground.” The woman cackled, as her white cloaked figure emerged from the forest, her lavender eyes gleaming in the moonlight.

“Hold on there!” Aria declared, rushing in front of the others, giving a gentle nod to them. “I do not know who you are, but we don’t seek conflict. Whatever problem you have, we can…”

“Problems?” the woman cut her off dismissively as she cogitated the word. She thought good and hard, but she had nothing. “It’s strange,” she continued as her gaze bobbed around between the others. “I came here for a specific purpose. Was it a job? I don’t remember, but the moment I saw you,” she gave a playful yet malicious look to her right, Aurith locked in her gaze, “I somehow completely forgot what it was,” her eyes widened with excitement.

“What is she talking about?” Lillia asked the others. “Is she one of the mercenaries you mentioned before?”

“No, I don’t believe so,” Phordata answered. “But this, this is…” her eyes pried wide. “GET DOWN!”

“So, now then, please let me see your blood?” the girl asked innocently, she curled her right hand, leaving her index finger straight and pointed it at Aurith. “Die!” Mana visibly rippled and spiraled around her arm, a bolt of lightning erupting from her finger arcing towards Aurith, the area around him submerged in a bright flash and then a cloud of smoke.

“Brother!” Lillia and Saya called out in horror.

“Pfft,” the cloaked woman chuckled. “So, Mister Shiny Armor, not so cool now are ya? Hahah!” she held her sides as she laughed maniacally.

A burst of fire flared from where Aurith was and plumed out towards the woman. “You are not harming him!” Xenia stood before a shocked Aurith, his hand on his sword. Just as he reached for his sword, Xenia managed to beat the bolt back with her shadowy flames.

“Sister, why? I could be…” Aurith began.

“Fool!” she snapped at him. “You are my baby brother; I am not about to let this harlot harm you!”

“Damn you bitch!” the woman shrieked. Her cloak having caught on fire. “That woman gave this to me for this mission, and now it’s ruined!” She snarled with a huff, throwing her arms down angrily as she ripped it off, revealing a young woman with long flowing silver-white hair. Beneath the cloak she wore a short-sleeved white dress with golden net pattern down the skirt and a holy emblem on the chest. “Now I have to live with being cold thanks to you!” she glared with her piercing glowing purple eyes. Her eyes twitched as she glared at Xenia, seemingly losing track of the world around her.

“Xenia, Saya, Aunt Phora, what’s wrong?” Lillia called, as the witches stumbled in shock, an immense magical energy whipping across the clearing.

“What in the world? Who are you?” Phordata demanded. “What self-respecting witch would willingly wear the garb of the Church!?”

“Church?” her gaze eased as Phordata caught her attention. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. But this dress certainly is radiant is it not? It can take my magic without burning away,” the assailant said as she traced her fingers along the fabric. “It’s so soft and comfortable too. And my isn’t it simply gorgeous craftsmanship?” she played at the lace of her bodice with a cute grin.

“What is she even talking about?” Saya asked. “I do not understand,” as she shook her head.

“Oh, right,” the woman bobbed her head back to the side, malice rushing back into her eyes. “I was going to kill both of you,” a grin grew upon her lips as she gave a slow seductive blink. “Goodbye,” she practically sang, a bolt of lightning arcing off her finger towards Xenia and Aurith, Xenia repelling it with another purple fireball.

“Damn, she is stronger than I expected,” Xenia plunged her blade into the ground to anchor herself from the assaulting wind.

“Saya, we must help them,” Phordata instructed her.

“R-right,” Saya nodded anxiously. “Please work,” she said as she pulled the water in the air towards her once more, forming her sphere of water. She focused upon the woman as she cackled. With a deep breath, she gave the sphere an invisible push, firing several jets of water at the woman.

The woman gave a playful smirk towards Saya, a flick of her wrist whipping the air and blowing the now droplets of water to the side. “You’re too slow,” she laughed.

“I agree, you are too slow!” the woman’s face dropped from surprise as Phordata emerged to flank her from the opposite side, swinging her arm to summon a thick tree root from the ground which tackled the woman to the ground, latching on with a thick sap.

“Ew!” The woman squirmed. “Get this gross thing off me!” she shouted as a surge of electricity tore into the root. In seconds, the root was cooked, the boiling water within shredding through the root and crackling into embers. The woman swiftly tore the root off of herself and scrambled to her feet, whipping another gale to repel an oncoming fireball from Xenia. “Bitch!” she snapped.

“Says the assassin!” Xenia spat as she swiped her blade at the girl, another fireball being lobbed from its edge. “What!?” her eyes grew wide, as the woman was pulled away by the wind, the fireball singing the ground where she stood. The woman smirked as she unleashed another bolt of lightning at her, grazing her arm, a familiar searing pain coursing through her.

“You know, for some reason, just looking at your face makes me really angry,” the woman’s eyes twitched. “Which is fine since it will make this next part all the more satisfying!” the woman erupted into a cackle as she unleashed another bolt before it was absorbed by the sudden flash of a shield of light. “What!?”

“This is…” Xenia gawked. “A barrier spell?”

“You chose a good time to master that, Saya,” Phordata chuckled as the two rushed to Xenia’s side.

“What do we do?” Saya asked. “I do not know how many more of those I have in me.”

“Her magic is stronger than I anticipated,” Phordata grimaced. “The lightning is one thing, but combined with that wind of hers makes her tough to pin down. Had we had more time to train Xenia, her swordsmanship could work, but she doesn’t know any enhancement spells and her control is still too simple,” she shook her head.

“We cannot just stand here and wait for her to…” Xenia attempted to speak.

“Hi,” the girl smirked at them, having leapt above them as they spoke. “And, bye!” she laughed as she prepared to let loose another bolt.

The woman’s eyes grew wide as she pulled back, narrowly avoiding the hulking metal blade swiping past her. “Aurith!” Xenia gasped.

“I know not who you are, but I will not tolerate you hurting my family,” he glared.

“Nor will I!” Aria declared as she swung at the woman next, pursuing the woman’s retreat. The woman attempted to force her back with a wave of wind, Aria’s anchoring spell holding her in place, only narrowly missing the frail woman thanks to the air pushing the caster out of reach. “You’ll have to deal with all of us!”

“Then I’ll just have to kill all of…” the woman’s voice vanished in the wind. She blinked in shock as she turned to her side, noticing a plume of mist consume her. She leapt back, avoiding the thick cloud as it converged and condensed into the form of a woman, her rabbit like ears bouncing as she rose up. “Who the hell are you supposed to be!?”

“A very angry aunt!” Honey pouted as she forced the girl back with a flurry of snow.

“C-cold!” the woman shivered. “Y-you won’t…” she attempted to throw her lightning, the sparks instead wrapping back upon herself zapping her arm. “Ow! Ow, ow, ow!” she grabbed at her arm. “Stupid snow!” she whined. “I’m not going to forget this!” she winced, as she hopped into the air, letting the air pull her back into the forest.

“Who the hell was that!?” Aria spoke in shock.

“I too have many questions,” Aurith stated as he rose back up. “But first, should we give pursuit?”

“No,” Phordata shook her head. “Whoever she was, she wasn’t a pushover. Challenging her again would be too reckless.”

“Are you all okay?” Lillia asked.

“For the most part,” Aria nodded. “Her playing keep away kept most of us out of danger. But the Captain,” she looked to Xenia as she gripped her arm.

“Do not worry sister. I have you,” Saya said as she regenerated her ball of water and pushed it against her wound, a gentle light filling the liquid.

“I must say, you have gotten quite good at your defensive magic,” Phordata chuckled. “What about you Honey?” she turned her attention to the once more soft pink haired buna before her.

“I’m okay,” she smiled. “I am worried though. That girl could be a problem.”

“You seemed to handle her pretty well though,” Aria shrugged.

“This time perhaps,” Honey frowned. “But her potential is rather frightening. I fear to think of what could have happened had she noticed me before I arrived.”

“What do you mean?” Lillia asked.

“She’s another weather witch, isn’t she?” Phordata proposed as she crossed her arms in consideration.

“I’m pretty certain, yes,” Honey nodded.

“Wait,” Aria interjected. “I was under the impression that weather magic was Honey’s style of magic. Water and Wind right? But she was using Lightning and Wind, right? Does that mean she also has water too?”

“Good observation, and you’re pretty close,” Honey frowned. “I can assure you she only has the two elements. That aside, my powers are that of a storm witch, you’re correct. But a witch with lightning and wind affinities can likewise become a thunderstorm witch. Their powers are similar, but can be more violent,” she explained.

“Can?” Aurith questioned. “And who is this woman?”

“Oh, right,” Saya giggled. “This is Aunt Phora’s wife, and our other aunt, Honey.”

“I… see,” Aurtih nodded hesitantly. “Well then, Lady Honey, what did you mean by ‘can?’”

“Well, a set of affinities won’t always produce the same synthesized abilities,” Honey explained. “For instance, Phory uses earth and water, which combined together to control plants for her. But another witch may find those elements mix to become something else entirely, like mud sculpting magic. In fact, an ancient witch was quite famed for pioneering some mud-based architecture in ancient times.”

“Really?” Saya asked in fascination.

“That’s right,” Phordata nodded. “On top of that example, I had a friend who had my same affinities, but her expertise was in fashioning clay and mud into elaborate golems. She could even make them look and behave like humans.”

“That’s kind of spooky,” Lillia trembled.

“It depends on your perspective I suppose,” Phordata shrugged.

“Then what makes you so certain that she is this ‘thunderstorm witch’ as you put it? It sounds inconclusive to me,” Aurith held his chin.

“Well, as a weather witch myself,” Honey played at her lip, “I can kind of just see the ways her magic flows together. It’s very similar to my own. I could only see it briefly, but the way she took in her mana, she had a system of pulling it in and looping it around herself, like a miniature weather system.”

“Regardless of that,” Phordata relaxed. “It seems she’s gone for now. But I get the feeling she’ll be back. Aurith was it?”

“Yes, m’lady?”

“Now, now, no need to be so formal. I am your aunt after all,” Phordata chuckled. “I’m not sure what she was after, but she seemed to be aiming for you,” she considered. “If you want, you’re free to come with us. Otherwise, I would suggest you return to the castle before she gets her second wind.”

“Aye,” Aurith nodded. “Then this is where we part ways.”

“Aury,” Lillia pouted, as Xenia and Saya both gave their own saddened looks.

“It shall be alright sister,” Aurith grinned. “I still need to consider my position, but I am convinced that you all still remain my family, and bare no ill will,” the others seemed to relax. “That said, I will have to report to father, but…”

“Brother, please,” Xenia protested. “If father finds out…”

“Do not worry. I shall not mention you all. But he will likely find out that something happened,” he explained much to the others’ discomforts. “I will keep it to our mysterious assailant, and nothing more. I will not betray your trust like that.”

“Thank you, Aurith,” Xenia smiled, Aurith giving a surprised look at her before nodding confidently.

“Now then, I must return, before Nerivi gets it into her mind to pursue me. I would prefer her not encountering our mysterious assailant.”

“That would be pretty bad,” Aria gave a light chuckle. “Take care of yourself Captain Aurith.”

“We hope to see you soon,” Saya said approaching him. Aurith stumbled as Saya grabbed at him, pulling him into a hug, her sisters joining her. “We love you, brother.”

“Aye. And I you,” he gave a warm and softened smile.

After saying their goodbyes, the group of women decided to return to whence they came, heavy yet assured hearts in hand.

“By the way Honey. How did you know that we were in danger?” Aria asked as they neared the camp.

“Oh, that?” Honey giggled. “Well, I think when that witch revealed herself to you, she got over eager and her magic spiked. I could feel it all the way from camp. Mable felt it too.”

“Oh, that must’ve been when she took off her cloak,” Aria wondered aloud. “What do you think Saya?” she looked to the princess who was deep in thought. “Saya?”

“Oh, uh, yes, I agree.”

“Is something wrong?”

Saya shifted uncertainly. “Tis just… that woman. She seemed so familiar for some reason.”

31