Chapter 16: The Heart of the Storm
549 13 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
As a bit of a programming note, the story should be wrapping up with next Monday's update. It's certainly been a fun journey, and I'm thankful for all the support I've been getting.

I have a bit of some fun trivia to share at the bottom.

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Content Warning:

Spoiler

Unintentional Deadnaming

[collapse]

 

Saya anxiously paced back and forth as her mind swam with thoughts, fears, and questions alike. Thoughts of the mysterious assailant assaulted her mind. Fears of the others’ fate pulled her mind into doubt. Concerns of the town and people clung to her like a drenched gown.

“Saya,” Lillia whispered as she watched Saya stop and shake her head in frustration. “Please come here. You shouldn’t fret like this.”

“I know,” Saya sighed, “but everyone else is doing something. Fiona and the other knights are seeing the people to safety while my family is out there fighting a woman we barely scared off last time. And…” a clap of thunder shook through the magical gate at the entrance. “And now she is performing feats like that,” Saya quaked. “I am afraid of what is happening out there. And here I am doing nothing.”

“I know it’s frustrating Saya,” Lillia said approaching her, “but when they return, they’ll need you to help heal them.” Saya sank into Lillia’s sudden embrace as her sister softly pet her. “It’ll all turn out well. You’ll see.”

“You two alright?” Nerivi asked as she emerged from the hall to the living chambers.

“We’re managing,” Lillia chuckled. “What of you?”

Nerivi crossed her arms and looked to the side. “To be honest, I’m rather worried. Aurith is strong, smart, and capable. I know that. But neither of us have ever gone up against a witch before. And given what you’ve all said, I’m not certain he’s truly prepared. What of you Lillia?”

“To be honest, I’m still just confused,” Lillia admitted. “I mean, nothing about this woman makes sense to me. Why is a witch helping father, a King famous for toppling a Kingdom that sheltered her people, and equally known for having them slaughtered? Where did she come from? What does she even want?”

“She did seem to come out of nowhere,” Nerivi added. “Which is all the more confusing since she seems to have a grudge against Aurith in particular. He never mentioned any such adversaries before.”

“A grudge against…” Saya repeated.

“Saya?” Lillia held her as Saya rose from her hug.

“I... she does not make sense to me either,” she frowned. “So much of her simply does not make sense, and yet, she seems almost familiar.”

“Wait, you think so too?” Lillia asked.

“Yes, but I cannot express how.”

“Yeah, I got the same impression, but I can’t put my finger on it,” Lillia sighed.

“Hmm,” Nerivi hummed as she considered the options. “Well. Perhaps we are going about this wrong.”

“What do you mean?” Saya asked.

“We’re getting stuck on figuring out who she is, but perhaps we should think of who it would make sense for it to be.”

“How so?” Lillia puzzled.

“Well, let’s think about what we know. We know that she was taking orders from the King, so it had to be someone he could get in contact with, in secret, correct?”

“Oh, I think I get what you mean,” Lillia nodded. “Then how about how Saya and the others were baffled by her religious garb and her indifference towards it.”

“And she has a grudge strong enough against Aurith to cloud her judgement,” Nerivi added.

“Oh, I get it,” Saya nodded. “So that would mean that it would have to be a witch who doesn’t know much about being a witch and our past with the church, like I was when I first awakened. She would also have to be able to receive orders from father, and have a grudge against…” they looked to each other in shock.

“A newly awakened witch, with connections to the King and who hates Aurith,” Lillia finished Saya’s thought. “Can it be? William!?”

“I cannot think of anyone else who would fit that profile. Most, even among the nobles who like William, see Aurith in a positive light. I can think of few who actively despise him and is on good terms with the king,” Nerivi added. “There are plenty who view him as a nuisance, but an active grudge is quite rare within Luxur.”

“And thanks to mother’s witch blood…” Saya looked to her hands.

“But something still doesn’t add up,” Nerivi rested her forefinger upon her chin. “Assuming she was William, why would she be so ignorant of Saya and the others? In fact, much of her behavior only somewhat aligns with his.”

“Yeah, and William didn’t really like father, so being so obedient to him now wouldn’t make sense either. Plus, it took Saya and Xenia quite some time to master their magic, and this witch wouldn’t have that same luxury,” Lillia lamented. “It felt like we were so close too.”

“No, I think she may still be our sister,” the two looked to Saya. “After all, not only does she seem to share a disdain for Xenia as well, but those two both share an affinity for lightning magic. Her mastery could even be a result of all the time she spent with magitech since she was a child. It may not be the same, but her magic seemed almost instinctual. And her obedience may be due to a spell or some effect from her awakening affecting her…,” Saya blinked as she considered the possible influences. “Wait, if that is true then? What if she truly is…?”

“Saya?” Lillia looked to her as Saya looked to the door. “What are you thinking?”

“There is something I must do,” Saya grabbed at her chest. “I have to save her.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Back in the forest, Aunt Phora, when we were all panicked, she…,” Saya mumbled. “Honey would know about it too. The proof of our…”

“Saya?” Nerivi looked at her.

“I have to hurry and find Honey,” she turned toward the door.

“Honey? What for?” Lillia questioned

“To save our sister,” Saya’s eyes narrowed with resolve.

“Saya, wait! We don’t even…” Lillia called after her as she ran off.

As she approached the gate and opened it, a fierce gale tore into the chamber. “No, I have to…” she trembled. “I have to make it to them. I…” The wind seemed to fade as a gentle warmth nuzzled up to Saya. “What is…” she looked up, her eyes glowing with awe as she beheld a splendid white horse, her mane made of billowing purple flames. “Bella?” The mare licked her cheek, causing her to giggle. “Wow. So, this is what you became of you after becoming Xenia’s familiar,” she smiled. “Bella, would you help me?” Bella whinnied at her request.

* * *

“I must hurry,” Saya panted as Bella’s hurried stamps pummeled the dirt road. “Please Bella, faster!” she called, spurring the horse into a swifter gallop. “I must reach them in time,” she clenched her hands as she pulled close to Bella.

A loud smack of thunder rang through the billowing trees, Saya’s heart stamping nearly as hard as Bella’s hooves upon the dirt. She breathed in and focused her gaze forward. “I will not be scared off,” she quietly resolved. “Not until I…”

Saya grinned as they approached the end of the forest path, emerging upon a quiet park area overlooking the once quiet town. Atop one of the nearby hills stood Honey, her form white and wispy, as glowing spheres of mist pooled in her hand. Saya looked up to see the band of wind containing the assailant’s roaring storm. Saya pulled upon Bella’s reigns and slowed the noble mare to a halt before dismounting and dashing to her aunt.

“Honey!” Saya called out against the wind.

“S-Saya!?” Honey stammered in shock. “What are you…” she winced as she forced herself to refocus upon her spell. “Whatever it is, it must wait. I need to concentrate!” she whimpered. “I must concentrate!”

“Please, you are the only one I can ask for help on this. I think I know how to stop her!” Saya exclaimed panicked.

“Please, just make it quick,” Honey responded, her focus remaining on her spell.

“Right!” Saya nodded, Honey unaware. “Before, back when Aunt Phora met us for that first time, she evoked mother’s name, and it resonated with Xenia and I. She tried it with Lillia too, but it failed. I need to know how that spell works, please! How does the evocation work?” Saya rushed.

“Saya, is now really the time?” Honey panted.

“Please! Honey! This is important!”

Honey grunted from exasperation, “to evoke a name you simply have to say a full true name that someone is connected to. A family member, friend, or loved one,” she explained. “And you have to say it with intent, as if to scold a child, your magic will do the rest instinctively.”

“That’s it?”

“Yes! Now, please I must concentrate!”

“One more question, can evoking a name make one come to their senses?”

“Yes? I suppose? Why? What good could that possibly…?” Honey began to ask when Saya ran off.

“That will have to be good enough,” Saya resolved herself. “Thank you, Honey!”

“Saya, wait! That way’s too danger…” she called out as she watched Saya descend into the town, only to be immediately forced back into her position, the rampant energy shooting towards her. “Dang it! I can’t chase you now!” she groused under the strain. “You had better be safe out there.”

Saya rushed down the narrow side streets bordering the town, passing familiar spots she had seen during her brief stay here. A quaint bakery which served delicious pies, where she had tried her first cinnamon roll. She dashed past the once busy market, small traces remaining of the knights efforts to rush the people out. And finally, she passed the inn the resided at the night that their journey originally began. Then at last, she approached the main street, an audible sound of crashing metal shrieking into the alleyway.

Saya ran towards the crash and clangs of the fight between her friends and family and their mysterious assailant. The woman floated above them, continuing to launch bolts of lightning from her hands, and whipping the air with her violet glowing hair, moving on its own. Aurith and Aria dashed across the village street with great fidelity, Aria dashing through the bolts, shattering them with her blade, wrapped in Xenia’s shadowing flames, as Aurith carefully advanced. The large man pushed on as he procedurally caught Aria when the winds forced her back. The two acting in tandem managed to progress towards the woman forcing her to retreat again.

As the witch retreated, Phordata’s green form danced as she called plants to emerge behind her. The plants coiled around her backside, seeking to corner her, while Xenia stoked her dark purple flames to propel them up towards her with equal force, further trapping her. Finally, Mable, poised on another rooftop, called forth vicious which took the form of hands, gripping at the wall of plants and trying to pin the witch to the wall. However, just as she seemed fully trapped, her lightning sparked and ignited the air around her, shooting her further into the air, beyond their reach.

“Curses, every time we seem to have her, she just finds some new way to evade us,” Xenia cried out.

“Do not lose hope sister, we must remain vigilant!” Aurith asserted.

“At this rate we’ll tire out before we even land a hit,” Aria grimaced.

“Even so, we must remain vigilant,” Aurith said confidently.

“I appreciate your firm will brother, but we need a viable plan,” Xenia argued.

“A more viable plan?” Aria frowned. She thought of an option, one which could catch the witch off guard, but she hesitated to recommend it. She shook her head and took a deep breath before looking to Aurith, will sparking in her eyes. “Captain, what if you launched me up while the others try to trap her again?” Aria proposed.

“That could…” Aurith hesitated, it wasn’t a bad plan, however… “Nay, Aria, should that plan fail, you could be gravely injured. Even with your recent magical training, I fear it could cast your life. I cannot ask that of you,” Aurith objected.

“But sir, formally or not, I’m a Royal Knight. Regardless of what that title means now, if it would protect you and your sisters...if it would protect Saya, I would gladly do it,” Aria said with pride. “I’m not saying this lightly. I understand what I’m saying. I understand the risks, but if we don’t hurry, there may not be anyone to save.”

“But Aria…,” Xenia looked painfully at Aria. “If you were to get hurt… if Saya were to lose you, then…”

“I know,” Aria answered somberly, a tear welling up in her eye. “But if I do nothing. If we don’t stop her, then I could lose her. And I won’t let that happen.”

“Aria…” Xenia looked at her sadly. She knew very well what the feelings driving Aria were like. She reflected to her own feelings when Mable’s life was at risk. “I…”

“What are you all doing!?” Phordata called to them from the nearby rooftop. “She’s readying her next attack! Honey and the others are already struggling to contain this storm!” The woman floated closer to the ground, a sphere of pulsing lightning storming above her, the energy beginning to arc outward, lashing out against random buildings haphazardly. “Curses,” Phordata recoiled as her plants singed from the bolts.

“I wonder. How will you entertain me next?” the woman laughed.

“Please, Xenia! Aurith!” Aria begged.

“I…” Aurith hesitated.

“But this is…” Xenia trembled.

“Please! It doesn’t matter if I get hurt. I just need to…” Aria continued.

“Aria…stop!” Saya panted as she emerged from the alley. “Goodness that was farther than I expected.”

“Saya!?” Aria yelped as her eyes grew large. “Why…?”

“Sister, it is not safe here! Leave here, immediately!” Aurith barked in panic.

“What are you even doing here?” Xenia questioned. “You must head back at once!”

“I cannot do that,” Saya said, girding herself, her torn dress flapping in the gusting winds. “I have to stop her!”

“Curses Saya, listen to us and leave,” Xenia demanded. “You are in danger here!”

“Aria,” Saya looked to her knight, ignoring Xenia. She shook her head as she staved off the tears. She heard her reckless plans, an urge to yell at her building within her. But she swallowed the anger. She had something she needed to do right now. “You and I are going to talk about this later!” Saya declared as she ran toward the floating woman.

“Saya, wait!” Aria called out, when a sudden gust forced herself and the others back. “SAYA!”

Saya focused upon the space before her, calling forth the deepest lights of her devotion to form a barrier of light before herself. In that moment, she quietly recalled all friends and family as she began offering her prayers for their protection, her wishes forging a barrier of impenetrable light. She continued to push onward, slowing to a confident stride as she approached the woman. Phordata and Mable called out as they noticed her presence, their voices of horror and shock silenced and swallowed by the sweeping storm.

“Oh?” the woman giggled. “I was unaware you could fight little girl,” the woman teased. “After all, last time your little droplets couldn’t even reach me.”

“I am not fighting you,” Saya looked at the woman determinedly.

“Oh? Well, if you’ve come to die, that’s fine too, just stand still and I’ll…” she smirked.

“That is enough!” Saya gave a firm look at her. “It is time for us to end this fighting and leave this place, together,” Saya reached her hand out toward the woman, her eyes full of kindness.

“End this and leave? Together?” she mocked. “Are you under some illusion that I’m going to just stop and become your friend just because you asked? How naïve, it’s almost unfortunate that I have to kill a cute pure maiden such as yourself,” she chuckled, “but such is life. Now then,” she grinned, “die for me.”

“You will stop this at once, by the name of our mother, Elesa Eria Floroma!”

Saya felt mana rush around her, a tension forming between herself, Xenia behind her, Phordata on a nearby roof, and the girl before her. The tension rippled and waved before gushing outward faster than the winds could push upon her. The girl’s sneer evaporated as she went wide and doe eyed, the mana enveloping her.

* * *

She wasn’t sure when it began. She only knew that it had persisted since before she could remember. Perhaps when she was young it wasn’t there, but she could no longer remember. This weight, this noise, this exhaustion, this groaning sensation clinging to her for so long. She felt like her mind had always had this persistent… thing, always clinging to her, always weighing her down. She didn’t know what it was, just like those memories of a boy and then a man confused her. They were a force she neither comprehended nor knew how to get rid of. All she knew was that this weight was more than exhausting, and that she could not part from it. All she could do was let it grab her and drag her down, warping her reflection into an unpleasant mess.

Her mind had become even murkier of late. Some of the weight had disappeared and she felt freer for it, but in exchange it felt like the weight had been burned into a thick smoke that refused to leave her alone, forever floating around her, strangling her breath, and casting her vision into shadows. Any sense of reprieve was constricted and buried by a toxic cloud of malice and anger, and she was unable to resist its influence.

No sooner had she found her respite had it all wound back upon her. The cacophony of disgust and anger flooded her, plunging her beneath its waves. She could only accept it. It was all she ever was. It was all she could ever be. No matter how the person she was before tried, she could never succeed. Glared at with anger, disgust, and abhorrence. So, if she could not succeed, she would instead revel in the agony she sank into.

When that woman appeared before her, even though those feelings began to melt away, the anger and rage rose up and filled her, consuming every nook and cranny of her mind. She resigned herself to the bile and bloodlust. She didn’t want to hurt, but if she must, then at least she wouldn’t suffer alone. What did it matter to her? She was alone. She was never going to find acceptance. Not from her phony allies who abandoned her at a moment of convenience. Not from her father who only tore down everything she tried to achieve. Not from her family who only sought to blockade her way forward.

And then suddenly a voice tore through her anguish. A single solitary tone shattering it all. “You will stop this at once, by the name of our mother, Elesa Eria Floroma!” it declared. The anger, the rage, the disgust, the shame, and all of these other horrible heavy feelings suddenly were summoned to attention, hesitating and quivering at the voice’s might. Those toxic feelings were ensnared by the voice and then at last they were dismissed, a brief moment of respite appearing, one which seemed to envelop her weary heart with warmth and some foreign yet nostalgic feeling. Her heart ached as the pressure released, the intrusive cacophony silencing for the first time she could remember as she pined for the warmth. For a moment she could remember the sweet kindness of her mother when she was much younger, tears flowing down her soft cheeks as she recalled her gentle words and soft smile. A gentle smile that shone upon the young girl’s heart all those years ago.

She was free. Finally. Truly. Free to be herself. A woman’s form appeared before her, one soft and kind, reminiscent of the woman in her distant memories. One willing to hold her. One willing to help her. One to accept her, at long last.

* * *

The woman’s eyes grew wide as the sudden surge of mana whipped outward from her causing all save Aurith to cringe at the power in shock. Even Phordata and Aria suddenly finding themselves short of breath.

“S-saya…?” Aria panted as she plunged her sword downward to anchor herself.

“What is happening?” Aurith looked to the others as he caught Xenia as she dropped in exhaustion.

“Saya… you… fool!? Why did you…!?” Phordata tried to shout, instead resulting in a tired pant. However, her objections were silenced when she looked up, her attention drawn by the sudden dimming of the sky.

Saya’s efforts were a gamble, which she was quite aware of, but one which appeared to have worked to her advantage. The orb of energy and the storm clouds dissipated as the woman above began to fall, the gentle winds around her cushioning her sudden descent. Saya hurriedly ran to her side and lifted her into her arms. The woman stared up at her, her glowing hair reverting to a distinctive and familiar silver-white. She was crying, her soft lavender eyes full of confusion and fear, she reminded Saya of herself. “It is okay. You do not have to fight anymore. I have you, sister.”

“Y-you…” the woman choked form distress, before suddenly clinging to her to avoid the glares of the others as they began to approach as she trembled in fear.

“Saya, what are you…?” Xenia called rushing to Saya’s side.

The others similarly struggled to find words before a single voice pipped up.

“Did I hear you correctly? You, called her sister?” Aurith questioned cautiously.

Saya, turned to face them, the woman still hiding her face in Saya’s chest. Saya nodded towards Aurith. “Please be gentle with her, I think she has been through a lot.”

“But who is she?” Phordata asked concernedly.

“I…” Saya said apprehensively. “I am not entirely certain.” she smiled at the girl in her arms.  “I do not know her name yet. However, Xenia, Aurith, this is our elder sister, the second Princess to the throne.”

“Second Princess?” Xenia asked in astonishment, Aria and Mable gasping beside her.

“You mean William!?” Aurith exclaimed.

Saya gave him a pointed glare, condemning his choice of words as the woman cringed from the name and began to shake in her arms. Aurith scratched his head in shame as Saya continued to glare at him before he bowed in apology. Saya then returned her attention to the girl quaking in her arms. It was almost funny how she was older than her yet smaller. It was not by much, but it made her feel a bit like the elder sister. “Everything is going to be okay,” she whispered as she gently began to pet her. The girl pulled away from her and looked up at her in confusion, yet relaxing at her gentle touch. “Now then, what is your name?”

“I…” she whimpered. “Iris,” a blush grew on her cheeks.

“Iris? That is a rather beautiful name. It suits you, big sister,” Saya giggled.

Iris began to cry as Saya pet her some more. “Why?” she whimpered. “Why are you being so kind to me. I’ve been nothing but horrid to you all, even before this. I… I’ve…”

“Because my precious big sister is hurting. Even if you hurt me, I will always care about you, no matter what.”

Iris’s eyes continued to overflow, her lavender eyes shimmering with tears. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’m so, so sorry!”

I hope everyone's enjoyed this chapter, since it's one of the pieces I've been working on the longest.

I wrote a good chunk of this chapter back in 2020, if not a little earlier, before I even finished the first draft of the first book. Iris's arc is one that I put a lot of work into, and this chapter is the reason for that. (I'm glad I can finally start calling her Iris btw.)

I hope everyone looks forward to next chapter.

Until next time~

34