Chapter 2: What is it I want to do?
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘How to be more confident, huh...’

It has already been a few days since then and I still can’t seem to get that question out of my head.

Every after school, I continued to see her in that same empty park. I would always see her take care of that same black kitten, feeding it with cat food and playing around with it. Somehow, it became a daily routine to silently watch her in the background.

I wonder how she is doing today...’

I looked around the classroom to search for her. I found her sitting down at her seat, eating lunch alone as usual.

I wonder if I cou—

“Oi! Itsuki! Are you even listening to me!?”

“Ah...”

As if all my senses all came crashing down back to Earth, I quickly focused my attention as soon as my name was called. I found myself being stared at by my two friends, with conspicuous looks at their faces.

“Woah~ I think this was the first time I saw Itsuki like that.”

“Geez, I would really appreciate it if you listen to me if I really need it.”

“Yeah yeah, I am sorry.” I apologized. I didn’t realize that I was out of it for the last few minutes.

My friend, Nakajima Asahi, simply sighed in desperation. While I was lost in thought, he was complaining about something new today, as usual. Looking annoyed, he continued talking without interruption.

“As I was saying, somebody tried to recommend me as the ace of the soccer club for this season. I was about to refuse the offer when the coach immediately agreed to it. Now I have to stay after school because of it, this is annoying.”

“Uwah, the Prince strikes again~” My other friend, Yoshida Himari, teased.

From a technical standpoint, the coach’s decision about making Asahi the ace of the soccer team does make sense. He performed well at both his tryouts and his first games. So much that some people in school already dubbed him the “Prince”.

I did say some people but most people call him that because of other totally obvious reasons...

“But Asahi, isn’t it weird that a first year student like you is already given an important position like that?” I asked.

“Well I was about to point that out when the coach told us that none of the third years can take the role because they would be very busy with their entrance exams. The second years don't have anyone who is good enough to take on the role, so they chose me instead.”

The coach is basically saying nobody in the year above is better than Asahi, that is quite straightforward of him.

“So I guess I can’t go home with you guys for a bit longer.” He added.

“Ah, me too!” Himari announced, “I will also be staying after school a lot as well for the next few weeks.”

“Huh, you as well?” I suspiciously asked, “I thought you were just a temporary member of the art club at the moment?”

“Ahaha, well it turns out they need more than just a little help. Since I was being very helpful this entire time, they asked me if I want to become a permanent member!”

“You? Useful? I don’t believe it...” I continued looking at her suspiciously.

Knowing her, the word ‘useful’ is nowhere near close to describing her. At most, I would rather use the word ‘disaster’ if given the chance.

“Hey! You just thought of something mean didn’t you!?” She shouted at me, her cheeks all puffed up with anger.

“I can’t help myself. I mean, every time you help out on something, you ought to bring some sort of disaster.” I explained.

“Seriously, you almost brought my family’s inn on fire the last time you helped out at the kitchen there.” Asahi shuddered.

“Okay okay, I almost did that,” She admitted, “But hear me out, I am actually helping them out with this and we are making so much progress! You won’t believe what we did once we are done!”

As she was explaining, her burnt red eyes sparkled so bright that I could see some little stars inside them. Asahi and I looked at each other, as if asking whether we should believe her or not.

“If she says so, I suppose she is telling the truth.” Asahi said.

“See!” Himari pointed at him, “For that reason, I will also be very busy. That just leaves you, Itsuki.”

“Ah, yeah, me...”

“I wonder why you didn’t join a single club, Itsuki.” Asahi questioned, “I mean, your sister is now in her third year of middle school so you don’t have to do much these days.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” I answered back, “I would like to join one but I don’t even know which one I would want to join.”

“Hey! If you want, you can join our club, Itsuki~”

“What? No way.”

“Ack! Instant rejection!” Himari shouted, fake tears falling down her face.

“Well, considering who you are, you would fit it in any club besides a sports club.” Asahi explained, “Is there anything you want to do?”

“What I want to do...”

What is it that I want to do? I never really thought about it that much. I can’t think of anything that I will do to be honest.

“Nakajima-kun!”

While I was thinking, I was immediately interrupted.

“Prince, your people are calling.” Himari sarcastically said.

“Ah, I forgot. I was supposed to help them with something.” Asahi stood up, “Please excuse me.”

Leaving the two of us behind, he went to the group of girls who were waiting at the classroom door. I could faintly hear him say “Shall we, ladies?” like a proper gentlemen as they went away.

Now can you see why most people called him the Prince now?

“The surprising thing is that he doesn’t even intentionally act like that.” Himari commented.

“Yeah, that’s the scary part.” I agreed.

“Anyway, Itsuki. I hope you will not feel lonely when you walk alone after school from now on.”

“Like hell I would, idiot.” I brushed off the idea of being lonely.

I simply continued eating my melon bread as lunch break continued on. I found my eyes going back to the seat I was once looking at when I was met with another pair of eyes.

... did I just see her looking at me just now?

0