Chapter 17 (Interlude Tonks)
1.1k 3 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Check out my original story, "Living a Long Life as a Legend"

Chapter 17 (Interlude Tonks)


Tonks was bored, bored, bored, bored. Why did mom always have to drag her along to these boring St Mungo events when she was free for the summer? Rhetorical question, she knew why. It was because she was hoping that Tonks would suddenly develop a passion for healing instead of being an auror one day.

 

Why couldn't she see that aurors were much coole-, ermm, more important than healers. If the baddies never got to hurt anyone in the first place, then there would be no one who needed healing. Simple logic, something even her mom should be able to get but nooooooo. She had to drag her along to all these functions with snobby purebloods, and their snobby children who she couldn't hang out with, because they were so damn snobby.

 

That’s why she was sitting alone in a corner, glowering at everyone, while the other teenagers gathered around in their small cliques probably discussing which muggleborn they should bully when they were back in school.

 

“Stupid purebloods, stupid fundraiser-.” She grumbled before some slight sniffling next to her interrupted her private tirade. She wondered how someone had snuck up on her, she was an auror in training, that was illegal, before glancing around, trying to spot the source of the sniffling. Only to find herself confronted with some blonde kid, couldn't be older than eight, with tears in his eyes and rubbing the snot from his nose weakly muttering, “'’M not stupid.”

 

She swivelled her head around quickly, hoping that nobody had seen her making a child cry and sighed in relief upon noticing that nobody was paying attention to her. She turned back to the kid, spitting some purple hair out of her mouth, it had gotten there while she'd been frantically looking around. “Who called you stupid, you're not, and whoever says otherwise is gonna have to deal with me.” She said, raising her fist and shaking it around threateningly.

 

The gesture made the kid stop crying at least, he looked at her in confusion instead, before saying, “but you called me stupid...” Before trailing off, and watching with a surprised face as Tonks changed her facial structure and hair colour on the spot.

 

“Some cute girl with pink hair said that, can't see her around right now, so her opinion must not matter much.” She laid a hand on his shoulder, “but if she ever comes back, let me deal with her.”

 

The kids eyes grew wide, and he formed an o with his mouth. “Wow, how'd you do that?” He asked with sparkles in his eyes. Literally.

 

Distraction was a success.

 

“Cuz I'm awesome like that.” She said, turning up her nose.

 

The kid naturally started hopping around like mad, gripping his green pointy hat to his head so it wouldn't fly off, while alternating between whispering out 'how cool', and 'do it again'.

 

She obliged, basking in the happiness that the kid was now literally projecting out of his face, as her own underwent a multitude of changes. Long nose, short nose, pig nose, fat lips, thin lips fish lips, Dumbledore, Mcgonnagal, mom, dad. She started getting exhausted though, and had to stop her show. The kid didn't seem to mind, and his mood had definitely improved. She winced at the reminder that she'd made some random child cry, her housemates would be ashamed.

 

Why was the kid even here though? She'd never seen anyone below Hogwarts age in any of these functions.

 

“How come you're here kid?” She asked.

 

“I'm not a kid, I'm already seven!” The kid exclaimed at her question, scrunching up his face cutely and crossing his arms to stare at her standoffishly, in a cute manner.

 

“Ehhmm, okay, so what's your name, mine's Tonks.” She queried further. Maybe he was the son of some healer who hadn't been able to arrange a babysitter, she might know who he was by his last name.

 

“I'm Draco, it's Latin for dragon!”.” He said.

 

Alright that told her absolutely nothing, except that he probably wasn't some aristocrat son, they would have never introduced themselves without mentioning their last name.

 

“So what are you doing here Draco?” She asked again, hoping that he'd answer her question now that she wasn't calling him kid. She was actually starting to get sort of curious.

 

He looked at her like she was the seven year old. Which she wasn't mind you. She was fifteen! And answered with a straight face. “Attending the fundraiser, duh, you're not very smart are you?”

 

It took a moment to process what he'd just said, but when she did she immediately pounced, pulling him to the ground where they both rolled around as she tickled him. To his enjoyment obviously, or he wouldn't have been laughing that much. She was careful that she'd tackled him so they'd be behind a bench naturally, wouldn't do for anyone to think she was beating up some brat.

 

He was still giggling after she finished her tickle attack, whereas upon he just lay there on the ground, looking at the foliage above.

 

Tonks puffed out her chest, she was great with children.

 

But, what now? The fundraiser would still last for several more hours. She'd spent the last ten minutes having a surprising amount of fun with the kid, but she still had some dullness ahead of her.

 

“You bored as well squirt?” She asked turning to Draco. Who only nodded his head, having sat himself up. He didn't have any grass stains on him, curious. Must have been some swanky clothes he had on.

 

“How about I give you a tour of this place, my mom works here so I know it inside and out.” She said, willing to do anything to escape the fundraiser, mom usually wouldn't let her leave, but babysitting some brat would be excuse enough right? He was a cute brat too. She kinda wished she had a little sibling at the moment, she could teach em all about the world.

 

Draco was putting on a thinking face. Cute, she thought as she watched him come up with an answer to her offer of a tour.

 

“My parents said I should go play with the other children. So I guess a tour would be ok as long as we played “I spy with my little eye” as we walked.” He said after some deliberation.

 

That was some advanced twisting of words right there, impressive. She stood up and dusted herself off, well, grassed herself off, and offered the kid a hand which he took to also stand up.

 

“Alright, we can do that, tour'll take no more than an hour, so we'll be back here wayyyyyyy, before you actually have to be back.” She said, while walking to the exit, Draco following behind her like a cute duckling.

 

She passed her mom, who gave her an incredulous look, and a grudging nod and some long haired blonde fop who seemed to exchange glances with Draco before turning away and shrugging.


Rate, Review, Favourite

Check out my original story, "Living a Long Life as a Legend"

 

31