Arc 1 Ch 4 – The 99th Task
102 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hugo went into a horror game after his battle royale match to get revenge on the viewers who kept driving him to sing more. His stream finally ended after a few hours with half the viewers begging him to keep going and the other half that he never sings again. 

The footage was way too ridiculous to be used for serious videos, so Hugo created a comedy playlist to include videos like: 

 

  • My First Time Singing
  • Harder Better Faster Stronger
  • Singing in the Rain (of Blood)
  • How to overcome your fears in a Horror Game

Hugo leaned back in his chair stretching out his arms and fingers. He turned off the computer timelessly humming out, “Our work is never over.” The meetup with old classmates at the bar was in less than an hour. He hadn’t seen her in a long time now that he thinks about it.

She was the only person cuter than him in high school, at least according to Hugo. She was shorter than him, with a pair of straight bangs giving her an aura of severity and her darker skin adding warmth. Her expression was almost always serious, with the rare smile highlighting her dimples and the big green eyes almost obscured by her hair. She was Alicia Jones.

He wondered if she would be there. Hugo smiled and called an Uber.

~~v^v^v~~

The car stopped less than a block from the bar. The first thing Hugo noticed was the strong smell coming from the pier, a mix of salt and fish and something unidentifiable. Luckily the smell was replaced by beer the further he walked. The single-story building ahead had one of the lights out in the weakly flashing sign, giving it a dingy appearance. 

He saw a few people relaxing outside, some smoking cigarettes while waiting. He thought he vaguely recognized the tall one with tattoos and became more certain when the man’s eyes lit up. The man strolled over calling, “Hugs! I thought you wouldn’t make it.”

“Dave? Is that you? You look so different! Of course I made it.”

“You might also remember James, Kim, and Levi. They waited outside with me here to wait for you. Everyone else is here already, they are just inside holding down the fort.”

The women who must be Kim laughed and put out her cigarette. “Hah! Drinking themselves under the table more like it. Hey Hugo! I recognized you at first glance. You get a boyfriend yet?”

Hugo didn’t even blush, he was used to her banter. “Don’t even joke about that. What if someone believed you?”

“Wait wait,” Kim’s eyes widened and she leaned over to whisper to Hugo. “Don’t tell me you’re still carrying a torch for her?” Now Hugo did blush and he nodded. Kim slapped him on the shoulder. “Hahahaha. I’ll stop joking around then.”

“...Appreciated.”

Kim looked at Hugo appraisingly. “Well she’s here and I gotta say you’re a lucky bastard. She’s only gotten prettier and I believe she’s sin-“

At this moment the rest of the group hollered out, interrupting Kim. “Stop whispering over there! Let’s go inside! I want some booze.”

They went inside and it didn’t take long for his eyes to lay on Alicia. He could only think to himself, ‘Kim was right.’

 

I used some pictures from the internet as reference for some of the characters. It’s more their face and aura, for example Alicia doesn’t have that hairstyle. In high school she wore straight bangs and she’s probably sporting a messy bun in the bar.

Hugo Byron

Spoiler

Blonde Youth

[collapse]

Dave Cooper

Spoiler

Tough Youth

[collapse]

Alicia Jones

Spoiler

Pretty Girl

[collapse]

Fun Fact: Neither of the men pictured are really my type... (Hollow Laugh)

 

3