Arc 1 Ch 14 – The 99th Task
42 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hugo spent the next few days in a haze. He found out that his Singing in the Rain (of Blood) video had gone viral, but he felt too numb to celebrate. Hanna’s funeral was scheduled as soon as the police released her body to her immediate family for burial. She’d be put to rest Saturday.

Hugo was shocked when he felt like the end of the week had arrived before he was ready. He had planned to rent a nice suit, but would be settling for the old dark grey one he kept in his closet for special events. It was an uncomfortable fit and Hugo had trouble putting it on, as if he had never worn a suit before. He didn’t dwell on that feeling.

Hanna’s father had asked Hugo just yesterday at the wake to have a eulogy prepared for Hanna’s funeral, and he still had no idea what he was going to say. He knew all of the appropriate lines, but they all felt too cliché. 

Speaking of the visitation,  it made him face the reality before he was ready. He and Hanna had only just met again after so many years apart. How could this be the end?

Everyone there was quiet and respectful as they approached the coffin, her coffin, one by one and left flowers or quiet words. There were very few people attending. Hanna had a small family and an even smaller group of close friends. Is that why...?

The room cleared before Hugo could think further and he made his approach. He didn’t know what to say or do when he saw Hanna. Her makeup was heavier than he’d ever seen on her, and she wasn’t smirking at him for once. She looked... peaceful. He felt like he was disturbing that atmosphere as he sat down the flowers he brought. 

“I’m sorry Hanna,” Hugo whispered. He could have insisted on getting her number and calling her that night or the next morning. He might have been able to catch his friend when she needed him most. He didn’t deserve to be called Hanna’s friend. He didn’t say anything else as he turned and left the room, walking past Alicia and out the door.

Hugo sighed. It was time for him to leave or he would be late for the funeral.

~~v^v^v~~

Hugo sat with Amy near the back of the chapel. She was crying again and didn’t want to be disruptive. He couldn’t be there for Hanna, so he would try to be there for the others who just lost her. 

The pastor started his sermon over the sound of light weeping throughout the hall. “We gather here today to celebrate the life of Hanna Louise Jones. She is survived by her Father, Udel Jones, and her older sister, Alicia. We are also here to mourn her untimely and early passing. 

“There is no greater tragedy than the death of the child before the parent. Hanna was a young adult, but the pages of her book had just opened to the second chapter of her life and was still unwritten. Hanna was in the prime of her life making her passing all that more inexplicable. We must turn to and support each other in this time of both confusion and grief as we try to understand and accept His plan for us. The Scripture says...”

Hugo tried to listen to the pastor, but could not focus on the words. His eyes were burning with unshed tears as he remembered the Hanna he thought he knew. 

His memories were eventually interrupted as the pastor closed the book in front of him with a large snap. “The wise Richard Hooker summarized it well and I will borrow his words for a moment. ‘Think of your child, then, not as dead, but as living; not as a flower that has withered, but as one that is transplanted, and touched by a Divine hand, is blooming in richer colors and sweeter shades than those of earth.’”

The crowd took a moment to react, and then congregated to comfort each other before heading to the next location. Hugo finally knew what he would say.

I wanted to complete the funeral in a single chapter, but... I don’t have any idea of what Hugo would like to say yet even if he does! >_<

Fact: American funerals are usually a three-step process, although many people often instead opt for a cremation followed by a memorial service. 

Other Fact: The service in this chapter could have been performed by several religions, but is likely limited to a handful due to me using Pastor instead of Priest, Minister, Reverend, or many other similar terms for church leaders. Granted, some regions of America use them interchangeably regardless of what religion they usually apply to.

0