CH 47
281 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lawrence is sitting on his bed as the light from the sun passed through his destroyed window. There wasn’t any time to fix it so Lawrence figured it was nothing to worry about but looking down. He noticed some knights pacing in front of the mansion while occasionally gazing at the destroyed window of his room. The debris was taken care of by the earth mages but no one confessed to knowing what happened. The investigators can only scratch their heads. But Lawrence knows they have a suspicion about the people who lived in the mansion just in front of the destroyed buildings. Lawrence really can’t do anything about it as he was ambushed and nearly killed. At that time, the only thing going on in his mind is how to survive.

Another problem arrives after using the primal sin armor. His mana and aura don’t regenerate anymore or at least they can’t temporarily. This means he can’t defend himself against any future killers who want to take his life. He needed to meet the first prince but seeing his condition, he decided to stay at the mansion and rest. Though looking at the state of his room, it seems that he needs to look for another room to stay in.

Suddenly, the door swings open as Luke peers inside before entering upon seeing Lawrence.

“You alright boss?”

“I’m not. Besides, where were you last night?”

“Did some business here and there. Nothing much. Still, seeing the destruction here. Geiryst is really strong right?”

“He’s dangerous, that’s all. He’s not a threat anymore. Besides, make sure that you avoid getting caught. Your identity is expensive” Lawrence warned as Luke’s smile deepens.

“Of course boss. So what did Samantha say?” Luke asked randomly as Lawrence tilted his head.

“Nothing. She’s helping Geiryst recover. Why are you asking?”

“Well, I blackmailed him I guess. Anyway, all you need to know boss. Is that I have taken a step closer to my path of revenge.” Luke smirked

“No need to be in a rush. You can tell me the information later. I need you to head to the palace to meet the first prince since I’m still injured. Tell him that you were sent by Evan Everlock and you have the cure.” Lawrence hands Luke a piece of paper as he reads it briefly.

“Hmm? That’s quite dangerous, boss. They might lock me in prison for defamation and lying to a royal member.” Luke answered while pondering.

“I’ll lend you this ring so you can teleport away in case you are in a dangerous situation.” Lawrence pulled the teleportation ring and handed it to Luke who confusedly received it.

“How about that necklace boss? I would feel safer if I have that”

“You’re going there to negotiate, not steal.” Lawrence replied seriously as Luke can only nod.

“Also, you’re more reliable than Catalinna. So I trust that you can negotiate a proper deal with the prince” Lawrence added

“Ehh, if Miss Catalinna hears that. We would be toasted.” Luke chuckled as Lawrence simply stared at him calmly.

“I guess I’ll do it. I wasn’t able to rescue you last night, boss. So just think of these as repayment” Luke smiled

“I don’t need to be rescued” Lawrence coldly stared at Luke who remained smiling before changing to his new identity. His silver shaggy hair manifested while his smile vanished and was replaced with a hard straight line. His eyes remained closed with a mischievous feeling to them but his expression exude a serious and cold demeanor.

“I’ll be going.” Luke replied before opening the door and leaving. Lawrence sighed as he hoped the first prince to be understanding of his situation. With how many assassinations attempts the prince goes through, he must have a high level of alert and wariness toward anyone he newly meets. Also, the palace is heavily guarded by samurai and high star warriors, and mages. Although this Kingdom isn’t famous for its army or fighting prowess, it still has one of the strongest economies and naval strengths in the entirety of the human continent.

Luke headed straight to the basement where he found Samantha mixing potions with herbs and other peculiar materials such as a tail, fur, and nails of a large monster. She doesn’t seem to notice Luke who is slowly walking toward her.

“Miss Samantha, is the cure for red rot ready?” Luke asked. Samantha winced before turning around and nodding before pointing at one of the tables. There, Luke noticed a large long glass full of red liquid. It has the sweet smell of parfait or cake yet the liquid is constantly bubbling like it’s boiling. A nozzle can be found at the bottom with a few small vials below it.

“Just turn the nozzle and put the vial down to allow the liquid to pour into it. Don’t worry, it’s safe to touch and digest. Still, to work it needs to be administrated straight to the mana heart to work” Samantha murmured while focusing on her task as Luke nodded and turned the nozzle. He grabbed a single vial and poured the cure in. After that, he closed the lid and closed the nozzle before glancing at Samantha who seems to be unbothered by his presence.

“Thank you for your work, Miss Samantha” Luke commented before leaving the laboratory.

Heading outside the mansion. He noticed a few knights eyeing him suspiciously while whispering as Luke decided to head to the nearby alleyway. He heard a heavy footstep and clanging of the metal. As he immediately wore a cloak before activating shadow jump to teleport away. The captain knight arrived at the alleyway with his sword drawn only to find no one.

“That man is dangerous…He actually tried to hide his killing intent.” The captain knight muttered while pondering as a fellow knight went next to him wondering what happen.

“Sir? What are you doing here?”

“Did you memorize that man’s face?” the captain knight ignored the knight’s question as he asked directly. The knight shakes his head.

“No, Sir. I can’t seem to remember his face…” the knight murmured confusedly.

“I see…It seems that I wasn’t the only one. I have to report this to Princess Arita.” the captain knight replied. He glanced at the mansion one last time before commanding the nearby knights to continue on investigating.

In front of a large wall, a golden gate stops Luke from proceeding as there were a couple of red-robed men wielding a long spear and large katana patrolling the area. All of them are 4-star warriors with artifacts decorating their limbs from necklaces, rings, and bracelets. Even their weapons is a high-class artifact. He proceeded to tap on the golden gate as one of the red-robed men heard it before grumbling and walking towards him.

“What? Can you see that the land beyond this gate is for the royal and royal families only? You won’t receive anything from begging so get out of here.” the man grumpily reprimanded Luke before muttering “Fucking stray dogs”

“I’m the representative of Alchemist Evan Everlock. I have come here to meet the first prince” Luke said with a respectable tone as the man scoffed and looked at Luke as if he were a joke.

“I have never heard of that Alchemist. Do you think you can say random names and be allowed to enter the royal grounds? A unique take for you beggars. Now get out or I’ll slice you to pieces.” The man belittled Luke while gathering some of his friends while joking around and not taking Luke seriously. Until a knight, fully plated with steel appeared. The man who was joking around was mercilessly kicked straight into the face.

“Fucker! WHO DID….that?” the man shouted in anger before noticing the knight in front of him. Resulting in a weird sound he made, he tried stopping his sentence upon seeing the knight but it was too late. The knight simply looked at the man before kicking him one last time. Luke was confused before seeing the medal attached to the knight’s chest. It was a medal only given to warriors that made a great contribution to the Empire. The Medal of Chivalry Knight.

The medal is given by the Swordwin Empire as a sign of recognition for the contribution they made, which gives them an influence stronger than a viscount nobility family. Usually, it was through killing a notorious monster that is at a semi-calamity level or through winning wars against the demon army or other races. They are just below the heroes of humanity while typically weaker than a weapon saint, they still have more authority and influence than them.

The Chivalry Knight gazed at Luke briefly before opening the gate. Luke warily entered with bated steps as he raised his guard up. He wanted to open his eyes but it might result in the same thing happening to him. Getting kidnapped and nearly killed. The Chivalry Knight waited and waited before swinging the golden gate close.

“The Prince is waiting” it was a woman’s voice that surprised Luke but shrugged it off. The Chivalry Knight went in the direction directly to the palace as Luke followed her. A few robed men didn’t dare to even look in their direction. It was clear that she has the reputation for beating up anyone she dislikes.

The palace was the same as every palace Luke has seen before. Magnificent and grandiose. The marbles and chiseled stone created the body of the palace with statues made of rock lining the entrance. Beautiful and carefully crafted gardens surrounded the castle while golden lamps is littered everywhere. The cost of building this palace is unimaginable as the large ornate door swings open with armored knights stationed in every corner of the hall. The chivalry knight immediately went to the golden stairs and Luke followed without any hesitation. After passing through dozen of rooms, the chivalry knight stops at the room with the most luxurious-looking door with different kinds of colored gems adorned on the corners, shining brilliantly under the sunlight.

“The First Prince is inside. You may enter the room” The chivalry knight said while standing beside the door as if she were guarding it. Luke touched the door knob before spinning it as the door swung open, revealing an office with wooden furniture. Luke took his first step as he felt a flash of weak lightning coursed through his veins. Shocking him momentarily.

“Stop!” The first prince commanded as Luke only saw a drawn sword, a couple of centimeters away from his neck. He didn’t dare turn around as the sword was pulled away and he heard the sound of someone sheathing their sword. There weren’t any signs of emotion appearing in Luke’s expression from the moment the sword was drawn. Which impressed the First Prince.

“Forgive my Chivalry Knight. She’s my guardian and she is tasked by my father to keep me safe. I was just testing you to see how you would react” The first prince confessed. Despite not seeing the sword, Luke knew he would be safe since his eyes would give him a premonition of his death. Luke simply bowed respectfully before grabbing the vial from his pocket.

“I am Lucas Gael, an information broker and the representative of Alchemist Evan Everlock. What I’m holding right now is the cure for red rot” Luke responded. Luckily for Luke, he read the information about his new identity and he has already created a background, from the names of his supposed family, achievements, works, and jobs he did while traveling the continent.

The First Prince felt elated yet he didn’t show it on his face. The opportunity is right there, dangling in the hands of someone that has a sketchy identity. Still, he maintains composure, or else he would get taken advantage of. The vial doesn’t have the smell of the usual potions that has an earthy and herb smell. Still, the man cannot be trusted. He has heard of Evan Everlock before, a so-called hero by the townspeople for healing every injury or sickness he comes across. Still, it was like a myth. It was only passed by the word of mouth and very few created stories about it. The man in front of him was someone who has worked on the black syndicate as an information broker, few people attested to it yet it was the same as the Alchemist. There wasn’t any clear evidence which raises a few questions.

“Please sit, Lucas. I would like to ask you some questions” the first prince smiled. As Luke sat on the wooden chair facing the prince. A wooden table is the only thing separating the both of them which makes it easier for Luke to kill the prince if he wants to. Also, the prince doesn’t have any talent in magic or aura and only relies on artifacts to protect himself. Still, the chivalry knight would be much faster, making the assassination a waste of time. As Luke can simply wait for the questions.

“Can you tell me the materials used?”

“Trade Secret” Luke replied quickly

“Then can you tell me how it works?”

“It removes the mana on the blood that is dangerous for mages.” Luke didn’t explain further as the first prince’s expression turned sour.

“I see…do the patient just drink it?”

“No, it needs to be injected directly into the mana heart” Luke replied.

“Eh?!” The first prince was flabbergasted before coughing as he tried to recover his composure “The mana heart is important for mages. A single injury into it can potentially cripple a mage” The First Prince stared at Luke, waiting for his answer.

“If they contacted the red rot. Their nothing more than a cripple.” Luke shrugged before continuing “This might or might not work but if I was given a choice to have a chance to recover or remain a cripple. It’s quite an easy choice, don’t you think so?” Luke smirked while shaking the vial as the First Prince didn’t reply. A minute of silence followed before the first prince sighed before leaning on his chair while putting his feet on the table.

“Indeed. You’re indeed right. There are some mages that are ill because of the red rot. We can test them if you want.” The first prince smiled

“Though, how much should we pay to secure this cure?” The first prince added

“1 gold per vial and exclusivity to manufacture the cure. Also, we would like to control who gets the cure. Lastly, we want complete freedom with the future products we make. I believe you know what I mean”

“That’s a tall order. You want the influence and wealth while having freedom. That’s something my father wouldn’t approve of.”

“We’ll sell the vial for other kingdoms for 2 gold coins. Also, the royal family will be the number one priority when the cure for maleosis is finished, including future cures and potions” Luke replied with a polite smile. The First Prince widened his eyes before pondering and smiling widely and stretching his hands towards Luke who grabbed them as they shake hands.

“That’s all you have to say. If your cure really works, I will promise. In the name and honor of my family, all of you will be generously repaid by the Kingdom” As the first prince and Luke smiled deeply.

10