CH 48
202 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“We will test the cure at this place. Head there before midnight, also if the alchemist isn’t busy. Bring him too” The first prince handed Luke a piece of paper with an address on it. Luke nodded before pocketing the paper.

“You may go.” The first prince smiled before glancing at the chivalry knight who is standing beside the closed door. “Please escort him, Miss Jehanne” who in turn opened the door and waited for Luke as both of them left the room.

Luke didn’t dare wander around as he followed the chivalry knight wherever she goes. There were hostile eyes boring a hole in his head as he looked around to find no one in the grand hall of the Sekai Palace. Passing through the garden, Luke keeps his guard up most of the time before arriving outside of the golden gate. As the chivalry knight return to the palace leaving Luke in front of the palace.

“I FINALLY FOUND YOU BASTARD!!” a familiar voice rang through the road.

Luke wondered who shouted that only to find the blue-haired man charging toward Luke with both of his blades unsheathed and ready to slice Luke to pieces. Luke effortlessly dodged the downward swing before kicking back, hitting the man right to the stomach. The blue-haired man was about to pull the cloth covering his eyes only to be stopped by a black-haired man with a grab from the wrist.

“Why are you stopping me, Cain?! This has nothing to do with you!” the blue-haired man waved Cain’s grip off him.

“Relax. The Kingdom forbid any killings remember?” Cain replied with a smirk as Azure scoffed. Cain looked at Luke who didn’t seem too bothered by the sudden attack.

“Can I have your name, please?” Cain asked, hoping to find the name of this mysterious person. The fact that this man can enter the palace when the second princess can’t even bring them in is quite interesting.

“Lenard Fortius. A businessman” Luke lied with a straight face. It would be more suspicious if he didn’t reply. Additionally, the man in front of him seems to be someone Catalinna believed to be stronger than Lawrence many times over. Although he’s confident he can escape, he doesn’t want to risk getting this man’s attention or anger.

“I have never heard that name before. Can’t help but wonder, what was your business in the palace? I’m just curious”

“Oh, nothing much. Just talked with one of the royal chefs about what ingredients we have to bring next week. You know, because of the tournament. Since there would be a large banquet in the palace” Luke shrugged with a lie he concocted. Cain simply smiled before nodding.

“Would you be joining the tournament?” Cain asked with interest in his eyes as Luke chuckled.

“I’ll try. Oh, I forgot. What’s your name?”

“Just call me Cain, this blue-haired guy is named Azure” Cain introduces himself before pointing at Azure who doesn’t appreciate getting stared at by Luke as a frown manifested on his face.

“Well, I have to go. The stocks need to be checked” Luke waved goodbye before walking off as Cain nodded with a friendly smile. Both Cain and Azure stared at Luke’s back before he was far enough that they cannot see him.

“What happened between the two of you? Did he do something worth killing over?” Cain asked

“His eyes…I was interested in his eyes so I abducted him to the nearby forest in an attempt to kill him. I failed since he can dodge all of my attacks, even the invisible ones. He snatched my weapon so I have to give him a gem that is worth over a hundred gold coins to get it back. Only for it to be coated in a water-resistant poison that took me a day to get rid of.” Azure crossed his arms with a frown on his face.

“So that guy has some interesting companions…I wonder if he would participate in the tournament?” Cain muttered to himself but Azure heard him nonetheless.

“Who?”

“You’ll find out. I bet he can take you on…Well, maybe” Cain laughed but Azure scoffed.

“If you can’t tell me who it is. What’s the point of asking. Anyway, I’ll be training so don’t annoy me if you’re not gonna spar with me.” Azure walked away as Cain followed him with a coy smile. Azure can only reply with a snort with an annoyed frown stuck on his face.

In the mansion, Lawrence headed downstairs to find Catalinna and Vania eating a simple breakfast with a sleepy expressions hanging on their faces in the living room. He noticed the black serpent has shrunk into half a meter that is currently nibbling at a small piece of bread.

“Would you like to explain what happened to you yesterday night?” Catalinna asked with an inquisitive look. Lawrence glance at her briefly before walking away as Catalinna blocked his way.

“Reply you fucking bastard. What happened?”

“I was possessed by the primal sin. That’s all” Lawrence sighed. Vania noticed the lie but she didn’t say anything. Fearing that her boss would get angry at her. From what she heard, he was a heartless sadistic monster. She’s quite conflicted but she shivered back to her natural nature. Hide what she noticed in fear others will hate her for it.

“Tsk, that’s a lie if I have ever seen one. You might trick others but you can’t trick me. A primal sin can never change someone’s nature. It only strengthens their original and true nature.” Catalinna gripped her fist tightly while flames flickered everywhere. Lawrence calmly looked at her straight in her eyes and opened his mouth to speak.

“It doesn’t matter what my true nature is. My goal remains the same.” Lawrence forcefully passes through Catalinna as they bumped into each other. Lawrence heads straight to the basement while Catalinna’s flames have fully bloomed. Covering both of her arms as she wanted to punch something nearby.

“C-catalinna! C-calm down. You might destroy Samantha’s mansion. ” Vania blurted out in panic, hoping for her words to reach Catalinna who snapped out of it. The flames vanished while Catalinna breathes in and out slowly. Seemingly trying to calm herself down.

“Sorry, my anger issues are always getting awakened by that secretive bastard. Thanks for making me snap out of it. Anyway, I’ll be heading out for a while. I wanna blow off some steam” Catalinna forcefully smiled as Vania meekly nodded.

“P-please don’t kill anyone or destroy anything. Or return injured”

“Don’t worry. I’m just going to find some treasures. I might return at night so keep on gathering mana okay?”

“Okay, take care” Vania said with slight concern as Catalinna left the mansion.

Luke noticed Catalinna walking away from the mansion as he wondered where she’s gonna go. He wanted to follow her but Catalinna sensed him walking toward her as she shot a glare at him. Clearly annoyed by being followed.

“Don’t follow me. Or else I’ll burn you to the ground” she threatened as Luke only smiled with both of his arms in the air. Catalinna glanced at him before heading towards the direction of the gate outside of the capital.

Luke can’t help but be curious. Still, the sun is still in the sky, and his stealth capabilities are basically non-existent since he was always tasked with assassinations in the black syndicate. Most of the artifacts that he used to supplement his lack of stealth capabilities that was given to him by the black syndicate were thrown away in fear of getting tracked down. With no other choice, he walked inside the mansion. He was about to look for Lawrence only to find someone eating in the living room alone with a small serpent near her hands..

“Oh, Vania. What are you doing later? Do you want to explore the capital” Luke smiled as Vania’s eyes lit up with excitement before shaking her head. Luke’s expression nearly crumbled as a lopsided smile remained on his face. Trying to pick up his broken confidence that has fallen from the floor.

“I can’t. I need to train. I nearly got us in trouble when I breakthrough. If I can’t control my powers, I’ll be only in the way” Vania weakly smiled while petting the head of her serpent familiar who is eating silently on top of the table.

“Oh, I see. That’s…disappointing. Anyway, g-good luck” Luke immediately walked away with a red tinge on his cheeks because of embarrassment. As he went straight to the basement to look for Lawrence.

Vania can only sigh. She wanted to explore the town but her priorities are more important. Although she has a powerful familiar, she knows that she still remains as a target when fighting against an enemy that can perceive her weak combat capabilities. She doesn’t want to be abandoned again.

“I’ll be gathering mana, so I hope you can guard me again. Okay, little luke?” She murmured quietly as the small serpent nodded that was named little luke. Vania smiled before heading back to her room as the serpent returned to its original size that nearly wrapped around the living room and laid there sleeping. It’s actually using an ability hidden sense. An ability that can sense anyone that it has never seen before and perceive their location and current blind spots. It’s like a snake lying in wait for prey to come anywhere near it.

In the training room, Luke opened the door to find Lawrence sitting on the floor in a lotus position while steam slowly arises from his body as he seems to be trying to reach mid-stage. A dark aura is covering his body as sweat rolls from his forehead. Luke opened his eyes to find that there isn’t even a single speck of mana in the room as it seems that Lawrence’s qi is absorbing mana as it slowly grows and manifests. It was peculiar, to say the least.

After a minute, the dark aura was absorbed back into his body while the qi has grown twice as large. Coating Lawrence’s fully with it. His qi appears to be purple in color with a few spots of blue and red spiraling around the qi. A great number of mana bursts from Lawrence’s mana heart as blood spurts from his mouth. Only for Lawrence’s qi disperse and he opened his eyes after succeeding in reaching mid-stage in 3-star paragon. After he absorbed the internal aura and mana necessary.

“That was quite scary, boss” Luke commented with a wry smile on his face.

“I’m fine. Anyway, did the prince agree?”

“Yes, all according to your instructions. The only problem is the place where we are gonna test the cure” Luke handed the piece of paper to Lawrence who read it briefly.

“It’s in the house of the Kinsei Family. Also, he didn’t ask why you weren’t there to negotiate but hoped for you to attend the testing in that place.” Luke added

“This seems to be a trap. From the information, I received from Keiren. The Kinsei Family is connected to the first prince as he’s the fiance of the second daughter of that family. Additionally, it’s possible that there is a slave trade that is happening in that house. Lastly, the Kinsei family is a magically attuned family, making the cure for red rot the more important for their future and prestige.” Lawrence replied. It might be overreaction or paranoia on his part but Lawrence can’t help but worry. With how many unexpected events were thrown at him, he has to be ready for everything. Also, his knowledge from the novel is completely useless since the Kinsei Family only appeared for a few sentences before getting forgotten by the readers. Essentially, they don’t have a major part of the plot in the novel.

“I agree. The first prince is quite sly and cannot be trusted. He might be as weak as a civilian but he has a chivalry knight guarding him” Luke informed

“This might be risky, boss” Luke added as Lawrence is quite conflicted. He can only rely on the first prince if he wanted to at least achieve a part of his goal in this kingdom. Lawrence sighed before deciding that going is the best choice they have if they want to have the influence and wealth necessary to start the organization Moirai. An organization that would gather future villains wronged by the world to use their talent for the good and protection of every living being against the future true enemies that would rain disaster upon the mortal world. His first target is Albier, the true successor of the celestial domination spear art.

“I’ll be going. If you don’t want to, it’s fine” Lawrence replied with clear determination in his voice.

“I won’t leave you alone, boss. Don’t worry, I’m confident in my skills in escaping.” Luke returned the teleportation ring to Lawrence who wore it immediately.

“Then we have to get ready. Samantha might have some potions that can help us. I’ll be staying here to stabilize my body.” Lawrence replied as Luke wore a wry smile.

“Boss, why not just go there? Don’t tell me you’re feeling awkward to ask her a favor since you nearly killed her and her crush?” Luke mischievously pointed out as Lawrence sighed.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. If you don’t need her help, then don’t rely on me when we’re escaping”

“I’m just kidding, boss. I’ll ask for her help. Hopefully, she can give us some helpful potions” Luke chuckled before walking away from the training room and closing the door.

Lawrence does feel uncomfortable to even speak to Samantha. What he did to Geiryst is not something he regrets but he knows it was out of line for him to nearly kill her as well. It seems that what haunted him before has returned. The sadistic and cruel nature that he possess since birth has been awakened again.

9