Chapter 1.1
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Like every spring, when nature wakes from it’s winter slumber, in the capital of region Nocte and centre of the empire - Nebula, more and more beings arrived in the capital, some for tourists reason and some to find their luck. At least those were reasons for most outsiders. Except for him. Dante le Noir was a tall brunet of subtly, compared to the natives, darker sunbathed skin with slightly elongated face with hawk nose and violet eyes, now full of displeasure about his current situation. A bit angry he was walking towards central police station. Even though he already crossed the age of thirty, in compliance with his origin, he still possessed temperament of a teenager. It was also the main reason why he was degraded and transferred from elite detective department which was solving cases of most subtle murderers to the capital’s main police station, to be precise to the magic departament of this place. With disdain he looked at sublime facade of the building where he now was supposed to work. The building was an old palace built on plane of rectangle with inner courtyard which visitors had to cross to get inside. Dante begrudgingly went inside through the main entrance. Despite stunning decorative bas-relief he wasn't impressed. His head was full of thoughts, besides who in similar situation would care about such trivial things? With quiet sigh, full of resignation he knocked on doors of the commander. 
" Come in." he heard a man with specific dwarvish accent
" Sergeant Dante le Noir reporting for duty, sir!" He saluted right after he went inside. He was looking at old, even in dwarvish standards, dark skinned officer who took file from desk and smudged his partially braided beard.
"Degraded from inspector. Your friends were complaining about you running around the office with a cleaning rag, is that right?" he furrowed his brows while asking cautiously observing young man.
" Yes sir." responded Dante who thanks to all this humbled a bit.
" You… exploded coffee maker? Twenty two times?" He asked with acknowledgment in his blue eyes. 
" Yes sir" the man stepped from foot to foot a bit irritated by this memory. In the end not everyone has to be kitchen master. And he had a special talent for it, some even asked him if he is God of exploding household goods. 
" You talked back to judge and prosecutor? Well, no wonder they send ya here." he frowned looking at his watch. 
" Yes sir." Sergeant answered clenching his fists. He felt humiliated enough already.
" Inspector de Rose will be your new boss. Inspector is a mage from experimental course. Experienced by working ten years in order and five here in magic department. Room forty three." he tossed him key which Dante caught.
" I'll do my best sir. If I make it alive for two years, I'll be able to come back to my old work." he saluted once more.
" If you still will be willing to go back." commented officer, shocking Dante with his words. 

***​

Dante calmly went to room that was shown to him as his new workplace.
" Natsumi de Rose, dude must went through hell with his name." he murmured opening the door and going inside rectangular room. Inside there were three cupboards clumsily filled with equipment, files and forgotten notes, there were also two desks, the one near window was his boss, like he came to the conclusion because that one was under a mountain of documents contrasting to second one, almost empty one standing near the wall. It was empty of course if you ignored office computer and small box with pens. After short contemplation he noticed paint spot on the floor. 
" What a fucking scruffy guy!" He growled taking the nearest rug. Calmly he wetted it under tap and after taking cleaning liquid from janitor he started scrubbing floor. When he was cleaning the floor with angry passion he heard door slowly opening. From the open crack he saw female face with sharp cheekbones. She had delicate rosy lips and a bit crooked nose at top. He couldn't see from that distance colour of her eyes. Her innocent face was surrounded by waves of messy dark brown hair contrasting with her almost porcelain white skin. When she noticed brunet she went inside with ease and took off her brown jacket. Under it she wore blue, thick full skirt dress. She took off her coat and shawl that matched her dress and put them both on hook while checking with spell if that clown on the floor is her new partner. Brunet frowned. She was too cute to be legendary inspector de Rose. Plus her look didn’t gave him a hint about her age nor, for his displease, her race. He was from mixed family (mother was a succubus while his father was a god) and normally he could tell at least person race or at least, with great effort, he could check someone's aura. 
" And madame is?" He started unsure about her to her great displease. 
"You don't know mister le Noir? Also miss." she asked a bit taken aback. It threw him off the track. Uncertain, he took a closer look at her slim body and long legs and feet on which she wore small heels. 
" Secretary…?" He asked carefully, angering in result the woman. 
" Natsumi de Rose, inspector in capital police station magic departament, age thirty two. “ She growled, with spell taking rag away from him and using second spell to clean her desk. " Now sit down if you don't want to be fired for cleaning again." obediently he sat in front of his desk
" I fucked up, sorry but…"
" You didn't expected that your boss will be a woman that’s slightly older than you, right kiddo?"
" Age isn't a problem for me to pick you up." he said playfully, more to himself than to her but that resulted in receiving side eye from her. 
" Don't push your luck especially since your boss has way too hood hearing" she said with mean smile when he cursed under his nose. " You know the town? Have you been already at the flat?" She asked while searching for something in one of desk drawers. 
" No and no madame." he answered slightly interested looking at her when she got up and placed keys in front of him.
"Miss. Keys to bachelor pad. I'll take you there after duty." she went back to her place at the desk.
" Not as scary as they say at our central station." the words slipped out of his mouth. He was a bit angry at himself for never paying attention to the gender of the protagonist of stories he heard.
" Yet I still can make you miss your male parts with one simple spell, so you better pay more attention to what you say." she said pointing at him with the pen. 
" It's unethical!" He protested and in defense he covered his private parts with a notebook.
" Welcome to magic department! Here almost nothing is ethical" Dante lost all of his doubts about this place. It seemed like the start of painfully annoying partnership. 
" So… you won't introduce me...?" He asked drawing woman after a while. 
"Hmm, to who?" She asked looking around for person she could introduce him to. 
" To the case. I can clearly see You are working on something." he pointed at papers everywhere. 
" Oh… no no. It's normal interior of this place. We are caseless." Dante froze. Never he had heard that arrogant confession about making a mess.
" Scuffer." he said disgusted.
"Pedant." she answered calmly without stopping what she was doing. He grumbled not happy about the situation, what made his boss smile.
" Most of mortals, even though they live so short have more patience than you." she said and got up seeing the commander. 
" Your prosecutor still is ill from last case and asked me to pass you the following information. Burglary at the library..." He started saying when Dante quickly got up.
" In the restricted section?" He asked, hoping for a more interesting job than sitting at the police station. 
" Only idiots start at section like that. Dangerous books are kept nicely secured in remote place." she answered with disdain.
" The art section. All books that covered even in the slightest Lilith’s necklace, were stolen." answered shortly commander. " There was also a burglary at the jeweller who was said to have one of pieces of said necklace" 
" So much fuss about some rubies? It's case for criminal department." protested angry freshman. 
" No wonder he was degraded." said boss giving Natsumi file. 
" Right. I'll check what idiots did it." she murmured while reading case file. 
" You believe in this fairytale!?" Shouted angry brunet just after door closed after commander left. He was irritated by the fact he had to take care of something so frivolous.
" It's not a fairytale." she responded and sat on the desk.
" You believe that the Lady of demons transmuted forty demon servants into pendant? Why would she do that!?"
" Wedding gift for daughter-in-law. In the end she gave them china set but I doubt she forgot about pendant. It's a powerful artefact and she spent quite some time on it."
"That's stupid!" He growled wondering if everyone here already went mad. 
" The fact that her loyal servant lost the freaking necklace? Yeaah." she put file aside. Thoughtful she got up and went to map that was pinned to the wall and marked two points. Dante still not convinced joined her.
" The library and the jeweller?" He murmured. 
" Yes. The library will send us files from security footage. There was nothing magical in burglary but the thing that interests them is… worrisome. We will have to question the jeweller. The most important thing is to prevent them from getting the main element of necklace." she took her bag. Brunet grumbled under his nose checking something in pocket of his pants." You have a driving license?"
" What? Yeah I have, why?"
" That's great! We won't have to ask traffic cops."
" Huh?" He asked blankly visibly surprised.
" I don't have a driving license, yet. You know I don't need it and normally I would ask someone from traffic cops to drive me somewhere if it's an emergency. Besides, I'm not an adult for that long."
" Wait, so you are not a human, are you?" He suspected it but he preferred to check his guess.
" No, I'm not. I don't have clearly specified race. You know problems with definitions etc. They didn't want to put me as hybrid cuz something and something and as a result I have that part empty."
"But you are partially a demon?" He asked still intrigued by this part. 
" Yeah kiddo. I'm partially high demon. If we explained this part enough, can we start our job?" She was visibly angered by the whole conversation. She didn't like family topics. 
"Yes sir." he opened doors for her gesturing for her to go first.
" Acting as gentleman won't get you far." she chuckled under her nose leading him to the garage. She quickly noticed that beautiful decorative columns had no effect on him. His face didn't change from seeing a few resting chasing dragons. He was visibly surprised by sport car she opened with key that she carried.
" This?" 
" Memorabilia from ooold case, we got it as thank you present. It's old but reliable." he could hear a tone of nostalgia in her voice. Dante carefully took the key from her and sat at driver seat while she sat next to him preparing for role of navigator. Monotonously with her calming voice she lead him through city. He parked at free space. They were in the old part of the city with short buildings. All buildings had typical grotesque facade. The place was full of people even though it was working hours. 
" Where?" He asked side eyeing pedestrians and fancy signs that were made in style matching the style of buildings. 
" Here sergeant." she answered going inside jeweller which was located in a small space between bank and café. Behind the counter was standing visibly shaken, tidy goblin who at the sight of two officers jumped a bit. 
"H-her Merciful Lilith won't kill me, right?" He asked with hope in his voice gazing at the woman.
" Only if you answer a few questions. I don't dare to hope, but maybe the criminals left something at the crime scene, did they?" Her question made him visibly lose countenance.
" I mean… I can be honest with miss." he murmured and gave her a signet ring with almost completely fallen off crystal crest. Woman passed it over to her subordinate who put it inside transparent zip bag. In the meantime, she also checked whole place with spell. She nodded with glee. 
" All right, that's it. Thank you for your cooperation sir." she said and nodded to Dante to signalise it's time for them to go. 
"But it's really not my fault!" He squealed after them. 
"Are they THAT afraid of Lilith?" Asked a bit intrigued sergeant. 
" Woman who for her whim changed forty demons into jewellery? Of course they aren't!" She answered sarcastically. 
" Forget I asked." after a few moments he rested on the hood of their “police car” and looked at inspector " Where are we going now?" Lost in thoughts Natsumi grabbed him by the cuff and started dragging after herself.
" Cookie and tea and after that I'll show you flat"
" And what about case?" He asked allowing her to sat him down in café's front garden. 
" Oh don't sweat it" she answered and passed him menu." If you will cooperate you have a big chance to survive, prove yourself and be taken back to your old team. What do you want to order?" He reluctantly agreed. Sadly she was right.
" Cheesecake, but only if it's raisin free one and black coffee, no milk, no sugar." woman saluted and went inside cafe Maybe she isn't that bad? He thought while watching passerby. He was playing in his pocket with tag he got from baggage deposit. He still had to tell his mother where and for what he was degraded and moved. She might be a succubus but she was worried about her children like every other mother. With small dose of interest he was looking around the place he was sitting in. Alongside the pavement were planted, budding chestnut trees alternated with decorative, fancy bent street lights. He noticed that on the street besides from privileged vehicles were mostly dragons. It was a popular practice in this part of the Empire to prevent damage from smog to old, monumental, buildings. He moved his gaze to café garden where he was sitting. It was furnished with wicker armchairs and tables. All tables were decorated with fresh bouquet of daisies. Whole place was surrounded by bamboo fence on which were hanging pots with red gardenias. Because it was still early spring, garden was empty despite high , for this season, temperature. For contrary inside was packed fully. He was pulled from thought by the sound of tray being put down from which brunette took her order.
" Something wrong?" She asked carefully checking the signet Dante handed to her. 
" I was just absent minded." he took a piece of cheesecake with small fork "Yum, quite nice." with delight he sipped his aromatic coffee enjoying the moment. Natsumi already finished her chocolate cake and smiled briefly. 
" We still have to drive back and leave car. But maybe first I'll just lead you home."
" Also, won't you send it to the laboratory?" He pointed at signet.
" First I'll reconstruct crest then I'll think." Dante finished his coffee and looked at woman putting evidence into her bag.
" Can I be somehow useful?" He asked straight forward. Brunette hesitated a bit. 
" No. If you want to survive just listen to me. You will go with me only for small things like this and look good, understand kiddo?” Angry he grabbed her hand forcing her to look at him. She quickly took it away. She wasn't too fond of someone touching her. 
" Maybe I'm not happy with being transferred. Maybe I don't want to work here. But for fuck sake even though we have different ranks we are partners no matter if you like it or not and you should treat me like I'm it. I'm not some kind of sissy pissy boy who hides behind woman back." he growled what resulted in Natsumi bursting into laughter. 
" Sure sure… partner." she finally said subjugating laughter.
" Sir. I'm not joking." he said seriously. She straightened in her armchair.
" Understand, but my experience tells me with your attitude you won't live for too long," she pointed at him with spoon" one spell and boom you're dead."
" I can wear antimagic armor. Or at least a vest." he took from her spoon and put it back on tray. She frowned without responding " And now madame please tell me where I can learn more about Lilith's necklace. I want to be fully informed."
" You will give me your email address and I'll pass forward some information about it. Also I need to remind you but I'm miss." she stood up. " Now let's go back to the police station and you are free for today. I already paid. Today’s treat is on me, newbie." he growled under his nose. He changed his mind, in the end she was mean, bad woman. A bit sullen he sat behind the wheel and started the engine side eyeing sitting at passenger seat woman. 
" You don't like me, do you?" He asked remembering a bit of the route to the station but still mostly basing his driving on her direction. 
" I do, why?" She asked taken aback. "My last partner had similar attitude. He died after three hours of getting here. And maybe you don't know that but I really despise funerals. And death. Dude really made me mad lately." with relief she got off the car in the garage. " I'll just take form for report to fill and I'll lead you to the flat." she gently tapped top of his hawk nose and ran to the higher floor of the police station. Dante murmured under his nose. Strange woman he though after moment hearing clatter of her hills and seeing his boss.
" Can we first go to the train station? I would like to take back my luggage first." he informed her calmly. She went outside with him by her side.
" Sure kiddo. The station is near the flat but I suggest you look for another place to stay. Tiresome neighbours."
" Hmm?" He murmured still unhappy with her calling him kiddo again but he didn't dare to try angering his boss again. 
" Student district. You know some like to party hard. But back to Lilith's necklace. What would you say about theory that she feared the demons she created?"
" That's stupid."
" Why? You think that lady of demons couldn't start liking this world and thanks to the occasion of wedding of her oldest son she wanted to get rid off problematic servants?"
" I doubt that could be Lilith’s motivation."
" But she created order to protect mortals from demons… and gods. And other anomalies." she murmured seeing his half smile. He messed with her hair. 
" You sound like fan making way too deep analyse." he laughed lightly. She puffed her cheeks and nudged him. 
" Stupid jokes asaid. Now Mr pretty face go for your baggage or do I need to help you with carrying them?" She growled at him in front of the station. He stopped and looked at her. Turns out joke wasn't worth angering the woman. Obediently he ran inside the building to retrieve his baggage. After a while he came back carrying quite a big bag on his arm. Seeing her expression he lost countenance.
"Oh it's almost only clothes. I haven't seen any reason why I should carry lots of things over such distance." he justified his small baggage considering total change of living place. She frowned and started walking. She smiled slightly when he joined her.
" I wanted to ask you about dishes but then I remembered that's one of the reasons you work with me." she noted and changed the topic to something more lightly. She questioned him about his thoughts about Nebula as a city, how he survived such a drastic temperature change for which incubus showed extra thick sweater under his jacket. 
"Oh, so that's how Solarians deal with temperature change." she said with a dose of interest " You should be happy that there won't be any snow in the nearest future. In the end it's snow goddess area and snow storm in summer won't surprise anyone."
" Snow?" He asked and bumped into her when she stopped in front of a living block. She murmured, turning around to face him. 
" Yes snow. Fluffy frozen water, well usually fluffy and we are here. Code for enter is one four one two, you better remember that." she said while clicking number on device. The door opened with specific sound and she let him go in first " Third floor." she murmured following him this time. She wasn't willing to risk twisted ankle on a dark staircase. She was wearing heels because she finds them comfy. Besides as a mage she couldn't look just like that, she had to look graceful and elegant. Through her head came a memory of patriarch of Lilith's order. He was a high elf who always wore gold leggings and accessories in the same colour.
" Which one?" He pulled her out of her thoughts. He put his baggage on top of his shoe because he didn't want to risk getting it dirty while putting it on dirty staircase floor. 
" What?" She asked him dully and murmured" Oh yeah. Number thirty five." she answered observing him while he was opening the door. She went inside after him to check if she really took all her things from here. Satisfied she nodded her head. Dante put his bag on the bed and happily looked at coffee maker, electric kettle and microwave. Before he could stop himself illusion hiding his tail broke and he started wagging happily to her amusement. 
" Uhm.." Disconcerted he tried to hide it which at first resulted in him slapping his own face. 
" Just don't take it out when you will be questioning some pretty suspect, it would be unprofessional." she said meanly while checking time. " Ya need something else?"
" Nah, I can handle the rest." he answered still angry at his tail. She sent him one more mean smile and adjusted her bag on her shoulder.
" So I'll be going. I still need to come back home." she laughed and went to entrance " So see you tomorrow at work." she said before leaving him alone in the studio. Dante let out a sigh and started unpacking. He still had to call his mom about his transfer. He didn't want to do it because he knew she wouldn’t be too happy. He murmured while looking at phone. Tomorrow he thought before opening his laptop to check nearest bar or reasonably priced restaurant.

0