The Bloody Dinner
780 4 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I did it! If I try, it's pretty easy for me. All this time, my commander Sir Charles was quite suspicious of why I, who was a vampire, looked weak. Usually we get promoted quickly. In fact, at first I was placed as a hunter in my first assignment—actually not really necessary.

All vampires, whether they were pure-blooded or not—would occupy high positions in the allied forces.

Because we are strong. We can run faster than a cheetah, we can climb and jump faster than long-tailed monkeys, and we also have the physical strength to crush rocks into sand. What I mentioned just now is the average vampire's strength.

Pure-blood vampires like me, much stronger than all of that. Plus we can read minds and control the human soul we want.

Since I applied for a promotion, three days have passed. During that time I brought a fairly large prey. Wild boar is a favorite prey of vampires other than buffalo or cows. Their blood is similar to that of humans, it makes us stronger. But they are not easy to get.

Kyle and I kept more than half a dozen large wild boars in our base. The vampires were very happy. Charles also praised me. I'm not some weak Julian Dubois anymore. But Julian Dubois is the average vampire.

Today is the second week of every month. Usually the troops gather to eat together. I, of course, joined the vampires.

There weren't as many of us as humans, but in Florence's allied forces— nearly all of the generals and commanders were vampires. It felt unfair, but that was because we were much stronger and more reliable in combat than humans.

"Beautiful day! Another win from Florence! We have destroyed the headquarters of the Rasputins in the southeast. They take control of a village and lock up its inhabitants like cattle," one of the generals exclaimed.

In my old life—I was only able to sit down to eat with the generals like this after three years. But I've been doing it for less than six months now.

I have to attract attention. I have to stand out. They should see me and earn their respect as a knight. Even so I still hope they don't realize I am a girl.

Vampires have strong instincts. They will not consume the blood of fellow vampires. But in an emergency, vampires of different genders would trigger their thirst. My beloved father, who forced me here—provided me with a magic artifact. A pentagram necklace that can hide the fact that I'm a girl.

I stroked it under my tunic. This thing was used in the past wars, to cover up the smell of our blood. As long as I wear it, they should never know I'm a girl.

The generals continued their chatter and discussed the achievements of their best knights. Of course I would be ignored. I'm just the best hunter at the moment who supplies wild boars at their dinner table. While those who were there, had killed several of Rasputin's commanders, destroyed their base and saved the lives of many people.

I have to stay ambitious and focused on my goals. One day, they will have to discuss my achievements as well.

But for now, I'll just sit quietly listening from the corner of the room while drinking the wild boar's blood slowly. It's very tasty.

I then saw, the vampire knights finally presented a copper goblet filled with human blood. Maybe it came from dozens of female human blood donors.

I could see the glint in their eyes. Human blood clearly cannot be defeated by any animal prey's blood. The commanders and generals were seen rotating the goblet and drinking it sip after sip.

We'd drunk animal blood before—so they looked calm and not as violent when they saw human blood.

The vampires muttered in satisfaction, some closed their eyes enjoying the power coursing through their bodies. It must be incredibly delicious.

"You too, Julian," Charles, my commander, now handed me a small cup of human blood.

"What?" I was surprised, they also gave me human blood?

"You've been working hard lately, have a drink, don't pretend to refuse," he said again, smiling at me like a loving father.

I couldn't possibly refuse it. A vampire's normal reaction upon seeing this was—to drink it down without a trace. Unfortunately I am a woman, and the blood of other women is poison for me.

But I can't break my disguise now. I have to reach the highest position quickly. Because I don't want the knights of Florence to lose.

I let the drops of blood wet my tongue. I drank it in one gulp then held it at the end of my tongue.

Disgusting. I want to throw up.

I stood up hastily.

"Ah, you left it around your mouth," Charles thought it was a waste.

It was on purpose, because I couldn't swallow it all.

"I haven't drank human blood in a long time, i—I'm feeling really excited this time. I'm going to—get out for a bit," I stammered.

Damn, a few drops have gone down my throat. I can't die like this.

I ran out of the barracks and staggered towards the field. I tried to get human blood out of my mouth. Gargle with the water I found and wash my face.

Luckily it's not too late. Even though my stomach rumbles as if to balk at the women's blood—I'm fine.

I lay down in the meadow. I can't keep doing this, the more I move up in rank, the harder it is to avoid the banquet. If I were the commander, I might have to share the cup with them and drink from the same vessel.

Do I have to reveal my identity as a woman to reach the position of general? But will dad agree? Duke Dubois was a man respected by Florence's allies. Is he willing to let me appear among the knights as a woman?

I have to get married someday. And I have a fiancé.

Yes, among vampire aristocrats, having a fiancé is not uncommon. I'm the same. We can't marry the people we love, but we can try to love them.

"Soldier! Why are you alone outside?" Call someone. I looked at him.

He was a vampire, with black hair as dark as night and charming gray eyes. Romeo D'Artagnan—one of Florence's commanders rebuked me fiercely.

"I'm not feeling well," I said casually.

"What? Why are you reasoning like a human? Stand up, soldier! take these weapons to the barracks and have the humans polish them," he ordered.

As usual, he was always serious. A little arrogant but he is strong and reliable. although I didn't really like interacting with him back then—I knew he was one of the commanders I could trust.

In my past life, I couldn't figure out who the traitor was that framed me. But definitely not Romeo. He was imprisoned with me. He drank my blood and coincidentally, he is also my fiancé.

He never knew he had a fiancé, because I only found out a year before the knights of Florence lost. My father wrote to me and said he would set me up with someone.

Maybe this time I'll try to be friends with him. Because I must gather strong allies by my side.

23