Chapter 10 – Her Secret
454 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I felt my body getting warmer. It has been a long time since I last drank human blood. I think Kyle has amazing blood qualities. In the past, at the Dubois residence I drank it from a cup and it didn't taste very fresh. Maybe it's because now I drink it straight from him—it tastes better.

What was clear, Kyle now holding the back of his back while looking at me confused. His mind was torn between having to fight with Rasputin's vampires or commenting on my actions.

I made calculations in my brain. Would Kyle believe me if I reasoned I was a gay vampire who prefers to drink male blood? Or should I be honest that I was a girl? For the record, biologically we could not drink the blood of the same sex. It didn't matter if we were gay. But Kyle was a slightly innocent human. Maybe he would believe?

But what if Kyle leaked it? I could have made him my slave to keep him quiet, just like the Rasputin vampire did. But I do not want to. Kyle was my friend—though I occasionally consider him my emergency food. I would not enslave him.

Protecting the lives of both of us was our priority right now. Kyle's blood, like a tonic to my cells. I felt that my steps have become lighter. I never really took my sword practice too seriously. But I had five years of living as a knight in my past life. I know how to fight.

The sword with the silver lightning pattern that I just got—converged harmoniously in my grip. Strange, it felt like there was a bond between me and that inanimate object. I could swing it lightly.

I didn't allow the vampires to attack first. I ran at high speed around them to confuse them. I was so fast that their eyes couldn't keep up with me.

My sword swung at the head of one of the rasputins. The slash was so sharp that not much blood was dripping. Even though his head was separated from his neck. I think the friction from this blade generates heat that burns the wound thereby reducing the bleeding. One fell, two left. Good grief. I didn't know if it's the influence of Kyle's blood or my new sword. But I felt invisible.

Unfortunately, I was too caught off guard. I forgot that they were strong purebloods. Although they may not be as fast as me, they could still keep up with me. One of them managed to stop me from running. I'm thankful he used his body to stop me. If he uses a sword. My leg must have been cut off.

This was a kill or be killed situation. We

Were in a grueling war. I didn't want empathy and compassion to overwhelm me. So, I was not wasting my time. Luckily Kyle acted quickly, he shot a silver arrow behind the head of one of Rasputins. Silver was the vampire race's weakness, even if the arrows only scratched it shallowly, they must have been in pain.

I ended his suffering by stabbing his heart. It was the best mercy I could show. Another Rasputin vampire tried to escape. Since he was no longer trying to kill me—I'll let him live.

I chased after him and grabbed his skull. Then I banged it hard against the stone wall. He just passed out. He was still alive and most importantly he won't report to anyone if we infiltrate.

I was amazed. It shouldn't be possible for a woman like me to cripple the three pure-blood knights of Rasputin. No matter how amateur they were. Because I was an amateur myself. I was still out of breath digesting this situation.

I killed again. This time they were enemies. I defended myself. I shouldn't feel guilty. But I was disgusted because even for a moment I enjoyed the taste of cutting their skin and chopping off their heads.

In a panic I threw the sword on the stone floor. Maybe it was not Kyle's blood that made me that way. But that sword. It was beautiful and fun to use. But I didn't want to enjoy killing. It didn't matter even in a war situation.

Rasputin's knights, too, had families in their homes. I couldn't imagine how their family would feel. I felt like a criminal and I cried. Men couldn't be like this. But I'm sure if I really was a man I would feel this way too.

In one day I have taken three lives. I didn't know how I should deal with this guilt.

"Julian, they're bad people. They're our enemies," Kyle seemed to understand what I was worried about.

"That doesn't really help," I sobbed.

"How about I put it this way, you killed three people, but you would have saved thousands of innocent lives. Does that make you any better, sir Julian?" Kyle said kindly to me. I felt his hand slightly stiffen when he tried to touch my shoulder.

"I might need more time to get over this," I sobbed, trying to swallow the guilt.

"All we have to do now is complete the mission and make sure their deaths weren't in vain..you started this sir Julian," he said in a tone that turned slightly formal to me.

"Sorry for drinking your blood," I said.

"No, that's surprising but—I think you have your reasons for hiding it. So, you're actually—"

"If I told you I'm a gay who is only interested in drinking men's blood, would you believe it?" I asked, a little desperate.

"Err, unfortunately I have sufficient knowledge of vampires. I know that even if you are gay, you can't drink from the same sex..So sir Julian—what's your real name?" Kyle was a little awkward when he said it. I knew he wasn't stupid. My excuses were too silly anyway.

"Keep calling me Julian, and yes I am a girl, Kyle . . but you can't tell anyone about this," I had stopped crying and looked into his eyes.

"No, of course I won't tell anyone, Sir Julian. I still respect you, you're the leader I've looked up to..You can drink my blood anytime, you can tell me anything. Including when you want to release your feminine emotions like now. You can cry on my shoulder. I'll protect you, sir Julian," Kyle said as if he was taking his oath of allegiance as a Knight. I felt warmth creep up my chest. Tears welled up on my face again. For the first time in five years, I felt like I had a true friend.

14