Chapter 2: Memories [Edited]
339 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Camelia’s POV

 

I stormed out of the dining room, slamming the doors as I left, my steps heavy with the anger and frustration boilling up inside me. I went to my room, sat on my bed, and punched my pillows to vent, until Valeria walked in to check on me. She was my personal maid, having taken care of me ever since I was a baby.

"Valeria, please let me accompany you to the market. I need a breather after what happened." I immediately requested with pleading eyes.

 

"My lady, did something happen during the meeting with Sir Henry Jeggare?" she wondered, worry in her voice.

She might have been my maid, but I considered her more like a mother figure. She showed me much more kindness than my biological parents ever did.

 

I sighed, trying to calm down before giving my answer.

"Except that he's a dumb brat who only cares about showing his wealth, you mean?"

 

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."

She went closer and caressed my head. I liked when she did that, even if it was almost always to comfort me.

"If you want to go outside with me, my lady, then you should dress more appropriately, so as to not gather unwanted attention."

 

"I know, don't worry." I answered with a smile, to reassure her.

Father only allowed me to go outside with Valeria from time to time because I threw a tantrum until he accepted.

 

I quickly removed the horribly uncomfortable dress I was forced to wear for the meeting and put on a more discreet outfit, made of sturdy leather boots and trousers, and a shirt, my face and body covered by a black cloak. Since my family was one of the most influencial in the city, I had to be careful when outside of our domain, but I also felt way more comfortable in something like that than in fancy noble outfits.

 

After making sure that I was correctly dressed, I joined Valeria at the entrance of the mansion.

 

We left, greeting the guards on our way out of the domain, and met with our coacher, Sir Roderick.

Well, he was technically a Cavalier, one of Father's most loyal ones, but he would usually serve as our escort whenever we went outside.

 

"Good afternoon, Sir Roderick." I said, bowing.

 

"Good afternoon, my lady. I take it the Jeggare kid wasn't to your liking?" he replied with a small laugh.

 

"No, of course he wasn't." I crossed my arms, pouting. "Who would like a stupid brat like him?"

 

"Heh, a lot of noble kids are like him, you're an exception, my lady." he chuckled.

 

Despite his rude appearance, Roderick was a very kind person, and seemed to get along well with Valeria, and was one of the few people working for my family that was treating me like an actual human being instead of an "untouchable noble".

Without Father knowing, he would sometimes teach me how to use weapons.

"Come, then. I have a surprise for you, my lady." He gestured to the carriage, as I was wondering what he had planned.

 

On the way there, I relaxed, watching the city from the windows.

I observed the people around. It always entertained me to watch normal folks living their everyday life.

Unlike me, they seemed free...

 

We arrived at the market and parked somewhere, with a guard standing near our carriage.

I followed Roderick until we reached the blacksmith's shop, while Valeria was busy buying things at the market nearby. The place was briming with people running around, selling and buying things.

 

We entered, and Roderick went to talk to the blacksmith. They went behind the counter, and came back a few minutes later, Roderick holding a small wooden box with ornaments.

"Here's your surprise, open it." He said, lending me the box.

 

I did as he asked, and saw a small dagger, with my name engraved on it, and with small dents, as well as a strange looking guard.

"Your Father wouldn't allow you to carry visible weapons, but a dagger can easily be hidden. Even if he disagrees, I think you should always carry a weapon with you."

 

"Is it really for me?" I was astonished that he would buy me a gift like that.

 

Roderick nodded, before taking the dagger and showing it to me.

"Yes. It's a parrying dagger made of Living Steel. It's extremely effective against all weapons and armors made of metal. A great tool for protecting yourself and destroying your opponents' gear."

 

"It must have cost you a lot! Why would you do that?"

 

"Because I wanted to, nothing more. And money isn't really a problem for me. It's not like your father is paying me badly, after all." he shrugged.

 

"Thank you!" I hugged him, but with his armor on, it didn't feel that good.

 

"Haha, I'm glad you liked my gift." he laughed, patting my head.

 

"I have a few things I need to buy as well, so would you mind waiting for me?"

 

"No, not at all." I said, and went to admire the fine craftsmanship on display while Roderick was talking with the owner. I always liked spears more than other kinds of weapons, so I observed the ones made by the blacksmith, imagining myself holding one of them, fighting dangerous monsters.

 

Since I was daydreaming, I didn't notice the woman in front of me, and bumped into her, falling on the ground.

"Ouch…" I exclaimed more as a reflex than anything else, as it didn't hurt all that much.

 

"S-sorry, a-are you alright?" the woman said, leaning towards me.

 

As soon as my eyes landed on her, I froze. In front of me was a beautiful Elf woman, with light blue eyes and long blonde hair, timidly looking at me. I quickly got back to my senses, though.

"Y-yes, sorry about that. I wasn't paying attention." I apologised as I stood up.

 

"N-no, i-it was… my fault…" she shyly replied, bowing.

 

I already met a few elves before, but this one seemed… different. She didn't have that proud attitude that most elves had, and acted more like a shy teenager would. Something… attracted me, in her.

 

"It was my fault, I insist. My name is Camelia. What's yours?" I said, smiling at her.

 

"S-Syliana. I-I just moved in here…", the elf said, looking away.

 

"I see. Would you like us to make you visit? We were planning on wandering around anyway." I offered, wanting to know more about her.

 

It was a feeling I felt a few times before, but not as strong… I never felt that way towards men, though… Something that my Father would definitely not like if he ever learned about it, him being so stuck up on tradition and wanting a worthy heir at all cost... Valeria was the only one that knew about this, as I obviously didn't trust my family. She was understanding and supportive, but we didn't talk too much about it.

 

"A-are you sure?" She was really shy, and it only served to make her more adorable.

 

"I wouldn't have offered if I wasn't sure." I replied, trying my best to look reassuring and welcoming.

 

"A-alright, then." She sheepishly smiled back, but I could see that she was happy.

 

Roderick finished what he had to do and came back, seeing me talk to Syliana.

"I'm done here, my lady. Who is the charming person you've been conversing with?"

 

"Oh, she's named Syliana. She just arrived in town and I offered to make her visit it, since we're going to wander around anyway. Do you mind?"

 

"Not at all. My name is Roderick, nice to meet you, Syliana." Roderick bowed at her in a knightly manner, surprising Syliana.

 

"N-nice to meet you…" She timidely said, her intonation even lower than before.

Roderick was an intimidating man, so I understood her reaction.

 

We went outside, joining Valeria, and I explained the situation to her.

She didn't mind either, as I expected, but she looked at me suspiciously.

She knew about my attraction to women, after all, so she probably guessed the real motive behind my seemingly good deed.

 

We walked around, showing Syliana some useful locations around the Midland district, and explained to Syliana how the city works.

Korvosa was divided into a few different districts, and Midland was the commercial one.

My family’s domain was situated in the Heights, which was the district where the most powerful nobles lived, near Castle Korvosa, home to the royals. It was hard to miss it, as it was built on top of the hill inside the town.

The Academae, one of the continent’s most famous magical colleges, was also located there, and one of my father’s cousins was the current headmaster.

Roderick and Valeria told her to avoid the Old Korvosa, as it was known for being full of criminals, and to stay either in the North Point or the South Shore districts, which were much safer.

 

While they were explaining that to her, I noticed her glancing in my direction a few times, but she looked away, blushing, whenever I turned to face her.

Seeing her act so shy only made me more attracted to her.

 

"You're so adorable..."

 

I slowly came closer to her and grabbed her hand.

"I noticed you eyeing me since we met. Is there something wrong with my face~?" I asked in a teasing manner.

 

"N-no, n-not at all… Y-you have a really beautiful face..." she answered, before becoming red as a tomato, looking at her feet.

 

"You don't have to be jealous, yours is also really beautiful~" I replied.

It wasn't a lie. Her elvish beauty combined with her shyness gave her a certain charm I couldn't resist.

 

“T-thank… y-you…” she mumbled under her breath.

 

We walked in silence, crossing the Heights, until we reached the sea shore.

I liked to go there to relax, whenever I was able to go outside.

 

“W-wow… It’s so… beautiful…” Syliana said, admiring the view.

 

“You’ve never seen the sea before?” I asked. It was something I was used to see, after all.

 

“N-no. I used to live in the forest, near the mountains.”

 

“Well, since you moved here, you’re now able to admire it whenever you want. It’s so relaxing to watch the ships set sail and the birds flying around.” I said, gesturing towards the port.

 

“I imagine. Thank you for leading me here…” She replied, with a warm smile, one that only reinforced my attraction. She was even more beautiful when she was smiling.

 

I took the opportunity that Roderick and Valeria were flirting a bit further away to come closer and quickly kissed Syliana on the cheek.

She was taken aback and became red again.

“W-what are you doing?”

 

“Giving you what you seemed to want ever since we met~?” I answered, grinning.

“Did you dislike it?”

 

“N-no…” she replied, looking down again.

 

“Good, because I enjoyed it quite a lot, as well~” I let out a chuckle.

Her cuteness was really hard to resist.

“Maybe we could see each other again, next week? I’m allowed to go outside once a week, usually.”

 

“I-I would love to!” she answered, her eyes beaming with joy.

 

“Give me your address, and we can meet again next time.” I said, her adorable face feeling me with glee.

 

Roderick and Valeria joined us, and I was told that it was time for us to go back to the domain.

 

We parted ways with Syliana and went to the carriage, Roderick glancing at me a few times on the way there.

 

When we arrived back home, he approached me, saying that he wanted to talk in private, and Valeria went inside the mansion.

Once he made sure that we were alone, he spoke.

"I saw what you did to the Elf on the docks, my lady. That's pretty adventurous of you."

 

"Will you tell Father?" I asked, worried.

 

"No, I don't see why he should know your love stories. In fact, it's better for your sake if he doesn't know." he answered, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"You're young, it's normal to be curious." he chuckled.

 

"Thank you." I replied.

If I could trade away my nobility for a father like him, I would do so in a heartbeat. He was so much nicer than my real father.

 

“As long as you’re happy, it’s what matters, my lady. Now, you should get back inside. And hide the dagger well.”

 

“I will, thank you.” I nodded, carefully holding the box.

 

I quickly walked to my room, and hid the box in one of my drawers, buried under tons of clothes, before laying on my bed, thinking about the girl I met...

 

"Today... wasn't such a bad day, after all, despite its start..." I whispered, my hand on my chest, my heart still beating faster from thinking about Syliana.

I closed my eyes, and everything faded to black…

 

<~><~><~><~>

 

I wake up, finding myself in the room of the inn I've been occupying, panting.

 

"W-why did I dream of that now?" I wonder, getting my bearings.

"It's been a while since it last happened..."

 

"What did you dream of?" the young voice in my head asks.

 

"Well, it's more like some old memories." I say, with a half-smile.

 

"Is that why you were crying?"

 

I'm surprised by that comment, and go to touch my face. Indeed, I can feel some dried tears from my left eye. I can't cry from my right eye anymore. It's more hers than mine.

 

“Y-yeah... I dreamt of someone I loved. Someone I haven’t seen in almost ten years.”

 

I stand up and walk to the window, looking at the sky. It is still dark, even if faint traces of sunlight are starting to be seen behind the hills far away.

“I wonder how she’s been doing, since? I hope that she’s happy, wherever she is…”

 

“Who was she?”

 

“A young and shy Elf with whom I fell in love, back then. Since we’re going back to Varisia, maybe we could make a small detour to Korvosa to see if she’s still living there. As long as we’re careful around guards, it should be fine. I changed quite a lot since I left the city, and I'm not the defenseless noble girl I once was.”

 

She makes a clapping sound, it resonating in my head.

“That sounds lovely! I would love to meet the person who you seem to care about almost as much as me. I might start to get jealous.”

 

“Hehe, don’t worry, the love I have for you isn’t the same, Ami.” I answer, putting my hand on my chest.

 

 

“I know that. It's not because I don’t age that I'm still the naive child I was when we first met.”

 

“Thankfully. Even if I love you, you were pretty bratty at first. You almost killed one of my teammates, after all.” I chuckle as I remember the scene.

 

Ami mentally shrugs.

“I was young and lonely. So when you said you were about to leave, meaning that I would be left alone in the mansion again for who knows how many centuries, I lost my temper. What else did you expect from the spirit of a deceased six-year-old?”

 

“It was hard to convince them to spare you, you know?” I comment while doing some light stretching exercises.

 

“I still don’t understand why you did all of that for me.”

 

“I don’t really understand it either. After seeing you so young and full of sorrow, I couldn’t leave you like that. You were just a victim.” I say, looking pensive.

 

I met Ami, or Amelie, five years ago, while I was doing a quest for an alchemist.

I went to an abandonned manor said to have been the home of a famous alchemist who died a century ago, alongside two teammates, and found Ami, alongside the ghost of her mother. As the mother didn't care about Ami, she was very lonely, and, even if my teammates wanted to get rid of her, even going as far as trying to attack her (and getting severely punished for it by Ami), I couldn't bring myself to hurt a child, even a deceased one, so I decided to take care of her until our quest was done, playing with her, talking about my journey, the monsters I fought, the people I met, with her listening carefully, overjoyed to finally have someone showing her some interest. We purified the mother's soul, found her notes, and then tried to make the child departs to the afterlife. But she was already clinging too much onto me, and our souls became linked, me becoming a Spiritualist in the process.

 

After remembering how we met, I continue.

“Besides, I was a follower of Iomedae, remember? I saw that as the righteous thing to do, even if the Order disagreed.”

 

“You were banned because of me, though.” she replies, a bit of sorrow in her ethereal voice.

 

“It’s not like I care too much anyway. Being an order-less Cavalier is way better for me, I don’t have to follow rules anymore. I can be truly free, and, once we reach Varisia, you will, as well. Spiritualists can live freely there, so you won’t need to hide in my body every time we reach a settlement or meet people on the roads.”

 

"I can't wait. Even if sharing your body is nice, I prefer to be outside."

 

"Heh, just say that you like to hug me, that'd be more honest. " I say, giggling.

 

"Because you don't like to hug me, perhaps?" She mentally smirks.

 

"Touché."

 

The sunlight is slowly getting stronger, starting to hide the stars in the sky.

"The sun is about to rise, so we should get ready to leave."

 

I close the window and put my armor on, and grab my shield and my trusting morning star.

"We still have to train hard on the way there and get stronger, I don't want to take any chances with my family. No one will control me ever again. I'm the only one who can decide my fate."

 

Even if I only plan to briefly visit Korvosa to see if Syliana is still there, I have to be ready for anything. My family is powerful and resourceful.

 

“We’ve been wandering for what? Five years since we met and were bound together?” Ami asks.

 

“Yeah. It’s been a long journey, and it’s still far from over. But, thanks to you, I’m not scared of what the future holds anymore.”

I have something I wish to protect with all my strength, now.

 

“In any case, let’s get going. Poor Scarlet must be feeling lonely in the stables.”

 

“Can I ride on her with you?”

 

“The road we’ll be taking is supposed to be pretty calm, so it shouldn’t be an issue.”

 

“Yay!” she screams in joy, giving me a headache…

 

“Don’t scream so loudly in my head, please…” I grumble, holding my forehead.

 

“Teehee, sorry about that.” she giggles.

 

“Stay quiet until we’re out of the village, alright?”

 

“Okay. I’ll be a good girl~!”

 

I go to the mirror to freshen my face and put my hair into a ponytail. After five years, I got used to not seeing my two eyes being the same anymore. While my left eye is still a verdant green, my right became a glowing icy blue, with a scar of the same colour crossing it. The same colour as Ami’s eyes. I don't know why it happened, but it doesn't really bother me anyway.

 

Once I'm done, I leave the inn to go to the stables, where my loyal mare is waiting for us.

She's been my companion ever since I fled Korvosa ten years ago. We travelled through most of Avistan together, and even went to the island of Absalom. That's where I met Ami.

 

Back then, I went there as a pilgrim to witness the Starstone Cathedral and visit the main church of Iomedae, and ended up pairing up with the local branch of the Order of the Sword for a few delicate missions. It was also where I got banned from the Order, them not really agreeing with me keeping Ami.

 

"I kept you waiting, didn't I?" I say, patting Scarlet's head, and her neighing happily.

"We're leaving, girl. Come."

 

I grab the harness and bring her to the village's exit.

 

When we are out of sight, I summon Ami, who immediately starts jumping around frantically.

 

"Ah, finally! I couldn't wait to stretch my legs!" she says, beaming.

 

"You're a phantom, you don't need to stretch your legs. Furthermore, I did that when we woke up, and you feel everything I feel when you're inside me."

 

"It's not because I'm a phantom that I can't act like a living being from time to time, you know?" She replies with an adorable pout. I love seeing her act like this, it always awakes my maternal instincts.

"It's not the same when I'm sharing your body."

 

"Alright, alright… Let's go, now."

 

I pat her head, making her giggle, and we get on Scarlet, ready to leave.

"We still have a few months of travel ahead, at least."

 

"Knowing you, I think 'a few years of travel' would be more accurate." she points out.

"You always feel compelled to help the widows and the orphans wherever we go."

 

I shrugs.

"What can I say? I may not be part of an Order anymore, but I still have my own code of honor."

 

As we are riding, I look at the sky, remembering my dream, and my past.

"What would Sir Roderick think of me, if he knew what happened?"

6