Chapter 3: Lovesick
188 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kisara’s POV

 

"What do you mean by 'she's gone'?!" I asked, barely able to contain my rage.

 

I went to Camelia’s house that evening, worried after seeing a lot of her family's guards running around the city, and was met by her knight, Roderick.

 

"She fled last night, after her parents told her that she would marry Sir Jeggare for her eighteenth's birthday." Roderick stoically answered. 

 

I grabbed him by the collar, grinding my teeth, my elvish shape slightly slipping away due to my lack of focus, my fangs and claws starting to grow, alongside my pupils becoming slitted.

 

"You're…" He said, his eyes widening as he noticed my changes, but I was too blinded by my anger to pay attention to that.

 

"You let her go alone even though you were supposed to protect her?! What kind of knight are you?!" I screamed at him in frustration.

 

"It was the only thing I could do to help her. I stayed here to slow down the research, and told her where to go for help. Camelia isn't the weak noble girl you think she is, Syliana… if that is your real name." he said, taking my arm and easily freeing himself from my grasp.

 

"Where did she go?"

 

"And what would you do if I gave you the answer?" he asked, glaring at me. "Considering what I'm seeing, I think you are hiding a few things, and I don't know if I can trust you with her. Why did you approach her? What were you trying to do?"

 

He suspected me. It was always like that when people learned about my nature…

"I wasn't planning anything! I didn't even know she was a noble when we first met!"

 

"You Kitsunes are thieves and liars, you expect me to believe that?" Roderick replied, still tightly holding my arm.

 

"Because you think I chose to be one!? Why do you think I never told Cam about me!? I despise what I am, and don't want anyone to see my true form!" I cried, swiftly escaping from his clutch. "If you won't help me find her and protect her, then I'll do it myself, and you better not get in my way." I declared, determined, before running away into the darkness.

 

I hid, carefully sneaking around the mansion, getting closer to the back entrance used by maids, butlers and other house employees.

 

I removed all of my clothes and covered them with leaves before kneeling, hiding behind some bushes. My breath shallow, my eyes fluttering from left to right, fully adapted to the obscurity, I was waiting for someone to leave the house, like a predator on a hunt. I had to find out more about the situation, no matter how risky it was. I just hoped that the first person I spotted would be a woman and not a man… Just the brief stray thought of having to turn into a man was filling me with disgust.

 

After some time, I saw a young maid leaving by herself. A short human woman with mid-length brown hair and hazel eyes, wearing the traditional maid uniform of the Ornelos family, a long black maid dress with the purple family's emblem embroidered on it, black flat shoes, and nylon stockings.

 

I immediately ran towards her, avoiding making any sounds, quickly putting her into a chokehold, surprising her.

 

"W-what…? H-He-"

I covered her mouth to prevent her from alerting anyone and made her fall unconscious shortly after. I carried her somewhere safe before starting to transform, taking her shape. It had been a while since I last shifted into someone else, but the feelings were still as vivid as always.  My body lost quite a few inches, going from a moderately tall and slender figure as my elvish self to a short and plump human. My hair shortened and darkened, my chest and butt swelled up somewhat, the claws from my hands retracted and became polished and trimmed nails…

 

"Oh… It… always feels so nice…" I thought, as I was panting from the afterglow of the transformation. I usually liked to 'savor' the feeling of turning into someone else, but I had a mission. I removed her clothes and put them on, completing my perfect disguise.

 

"I'm sorry, miss, but I have to see it for myself…" I said in her voice, a tone fairly different from the one I was used to.

 

I glanced around one last time to make sure that no one saw me or the woman, and walked inside the mansion, using the woman's key. Camelia and I hung out a few times in her gardens, but I had never been allowed inside. From the outside, she one time pointed at the window of her room, so I had a vague idea of where it was. I climbed up the stairs, doing my best to not act suspiciously around other servants, and found Camelia’s room.

 

Since she disappeared, most of the guards left to search for her, so the house was almost unguarded. It was a good thing that I wasn't stealing anymore, because it would have been really easy.

 

I looked behind me, not seeing anyone, and entered, dreading that moment. I closed the door and observed the room. The window was broken, and a rope was tied to the bed.

 

"I could have entered more easily, had I noticed that…" I thought, clicking my tongue. I didn't consider the possibility of her fleeing through the window.

 

I saw a painting of her on the wall, and I stopped, staring at it… at her… "Cam…" I whispered, as I was starting to lose my cool, my heart beating faster from the fear of what might happen to her.

 

I regained my composure and searched through the room, before reaching her drawers. In them, I found some things, like an engraved ring that I immediately put on my finger, wanting to keep something of hers. I also found a well-decorated wooden box, and opened it…

 

<~><~><~><~>

 

"Cam…"

I find myself comfortably lying on someone's lap, relaxed, and my first thought is that it is Camelia, considering how often we did that… I slowly open my eyes, seeing an angelic face warmly watching over me.

 

"Did you sleep well, Kisa?" Alicia says in a soft, caring tone, smiling as she caresses my hair..

 

"I… I had a bad dream…" I speak, grabbing the ring that hangs around my neck. "Unpleasant memories…"

 

"About Camelia, wasn't it? You whispered her name in your sleep." She asks, still with the same warm smile.

 

I get up from her lap, sitting next to her, and sigh. "I… dreamt of when I learned about her disappearance."

 

She immediately hugs me tightly, almost making me unable to breath. "It's okay, Kisa… We'll find her…"

 

I awkwardly reciprocate the hug. Ever since Alicia discovered my secret, I felt like a weight had been lifted from my chest. She is the only one I can seek comfort from, and doesn't judge me badly for being a Kitsune, despite all the stereotypes associated with my birth race. She is still the kind and naive girl I saved in the forest while I was hunting, even after the reveal. I still have one thing I've been hiding from her, something that I truly never want anyone to know.

 

"Thank you, Ali." I reply, glad to have her by my side.

 

She stands up and gleefully giggle. "Isn't that what friends are for?"

 

I let out a rueful chuckle. "You're the only friend I have, Ali, so I don't really know how friendship works."

 

Her expression shifts to a saddened one. "S-sorry…"

 

"It's not like I mind too much, though. I'm used to being alone. Most people despise my kind, after all."

 

I walk towards the mirror in the room, observing my naked body. The body that I chose to make mine. I let out a weak smile, seeing myself like this always managing to slightly ease my mind, despite having been used to this form for so long.

 

Alicia notices me and understands what I want to do. "I'm… gonna check to see when breakfast is ready…" she says, quickly putting some clothes on and leaving me alone in the room.

 

I take a deep breath, holding my ring tightly, and focus… My frame shortens as I'm shifting, my hair grows longer and redden, my eyes become a deep green, my face and skin soften, looking younger… Once my transformation is done, I lean against the mirror, panting, as I glance at the form I turned into, tears starting to roll down my cheeks.

 

"Cam…" I whisper, admiring the face of the woman that I love, my hand still on the mirror making it look like I am pressing her hand against mine.

 

That is something I've been doing almost every week whenever I have the chance. Finding a safe place to transform and turning into Camelia, as she was when I last met her, a few days before her eighteenth's birthday, and observing her face in a mirror. It's my way to never forget about her. To motivate me to find her no matter what.

 

I was about fourteen when I first met her, not knowing my age accurately, and she was sixteen. We may have been teenagers when we were together, even if I already looked like a young adult back then as Syliana, but the love I had for her was way more than just teenage romance. Some could call it obsessive, or even creepy, but I don't care. She made me feel alive for the second time in my life, and I need her. I will do everything in my power to meet her again and to stay by her side.

 

I hear a knock on the door. "Kisa, it's me, can I come in?" I hear Alicia's voice behind it.

 

"You… you can, yes." I reply, going back to sit on the bed, still wearing Camelia's shape.

 

She comes in and smiles warmly at me, not phased by my appearance. It isn't the first time that she see me turn into Camelia. In fact, it was how she learned about what I was, because of me being a bit too careless, about three weeks after we first met.

 

"How do you feel, Kisa?" she asks as she sit next to me, still with this caring expression on her face.

 

"I'm alright, Ali." I speak, wiping off my tears.

 

"Breakfast will be ready in a few minutes, I'll start packing my stuff."

 

"Okay, I'm going to change back, then." As soon as I finish my sentence, I shift back to my elvish form, with Alicia watching me during the process. Being observed doing that felt strange at first, but I got used to it, and Alicia seems to like seeing the process. It is something exotic for her, after all, considering that Kitsunes are rarely publicly known.  I myself only met one other Kitsune during all my life, the one who raised me.

 

I go to grab my clothes next to the mirror, taking a quick glance and smiling at my reflection, and dress, ready to leave. "Any plans before we move?" I ask Alicia as I grab my bow, put my scarf around my neck, and attach the scabbards of my scimitar and my dagger to my waist.

 

She looks at me shyly. "Hmm… You remember Irina?"

 

I nod, not understanding why she is asking me this. "The cute Cleric? Of course I remember her, we met her yesterday."

 

"She… She'd like to travel with us…" Alicia sheepishly says.

 

"Really?" I ask, a bit uncertain.

 

"She said that she wanted to help me get my memories back. I wanted to ask you, but I'd understand if you refuse."

 

I ponder for a moment. Having Irina be with us, even for a short time, would make it harder for me to shapeshift in peace, so I'm not that fond of the idea. And I don't really want more company, Alicia's being far enough for me, but maybe it isn't true for her, and a Cleric could be useful for watching over her. I know first aid, Alicia know a basic healing spell, but nothing beyond that, and she isn't much of a fighter. She know some spells to protect herself and has a dagger, but that's about it. I am doing most of the work when we are fighting against wild animals or monsters.

 

"Fine…" I answer, making her smile. "But don't use my real name around her, and don't tell her what I am."

 

Alicia happily nods. "Of course! I won't reveal your secret! Thank you, Kisa!"

"No need to thank me, Ali~" I reply, putting my confident persona on. It is something I had to learn growing up. How to control my emotions in public no matter the circumstances, to never accidentally revert back to my original shape, and to never show my true feelings. As a shapeshifter, faking a role is something perfectly suited for me. I can be shy, flirty, strong-willed, taciturne... depending on the situation and shape I am taking. It helped me a lot to deal with the many people I have met.

 

"Hmm, but I do want to thank you~" she says in a cuter tone.

 

"Then, if you want to thank me, take better care of yourself, girl, and have fun with Irina~"

 

"I'll see how it goes, but let's eat, now." she adds, before leaving the room.

 

I chuckle and follow her. I am famished from crying last night and this morning, so I enjoy breakfast way more than usual. Alicia just observes me, smiling, as she eats her food.

 

"Irina told me to meet her at the church, do you want to come with me, or do you prefer to stay here?" she asks.

 

"Why would I pass on the opportunity to finally meet the girl you are interested in~?" I tease, standing up and ready to leave for the church.

 

Alicia giggles. "As if you didn't meet her already, Kisa. But thanks for that. I wouldn't have been able to approach her by myself."

 

I chortle, feigning ignorance. "What do you mean? I was just taking a walk outside, yesterday, while you were flirting with her~" This girl is so easily teasable, I can't resist. "How bold of you, by the way~"

 

I did take Alicia's shape and approached Irina because I saw that Alicia seemed interested in her, and I wanted to help her in my own way.

 

"Hmm..." Alicia pouts, making her angelic face even more adorably cute. "I don't mind, but please ask before doing something like that, next time, okay?"

 

"Next time? Oh my, do you want me to make you a harem~?" I chuckle, my hand hiding the grin I have on my face. "Alright, alright, no more teasing." I say, seeing her becoming red like a tomato. "Let's go meet her, then."

 

After Alicia calms down, we gratefully thank the innkeeper for his hospitality and walk out of the inn, packing our bags onto my horse before going to the church. We only have one horse, the one I've been using for a few years, that I called Hori. But since Alicia is with me, we mainly use him to carry our bags and the tent.

 

<~><~><~><~>

 

"Good morning, Irina." Alicia says as she approaches the Cleric, who smiles at her.

 

"Good morning, Alicia. And, is she your friend?" Irina asks, looking at me.

 

"I am, yes. My name is Syliana." I reply. "Ali wasn't wrong, you are indeed quite pretty." I add, faking meeting her for the first time.

 

"Thank you, you are really beautiful yourself, Syliana." Irina speaks as she blushes a little.

 

"We came to give you our answer to your proposition from yesterday. Syliana and I would gladly have you traveling with us." Alicia adds.

 

"Oh, wonderful!" Irina says, clapping her hands. "I will be ready to leave during the evening, once I take care of the last task I've been given."

 

"What task?" I ask.

 

"Well, there's a group of goblins in the forest that cause some trouble for the farmers. I was asked to take care of them."

 

"Alone? Wouldn't it be difficult?" I wonder. Goblins are weak individually, but a pack of them can be troublesome to deal with.

 

"I'm confident in my abilities, but if you want to come with me, I wouldn't mind some help." Irina says.

 

"Why not, I could see how well you fight, then." I answer. "I'd be reassured if someone else could protect Ali during our fights. She can somewhat protect herself, but she's not a fighter." I add, glancing at Alicia, whose shyness returns.

 

"Thank you, Syliana. We can search the forest now, if you're ready?"

 

I rest my hand on the hilt of my scimitar. "I am ready, yes. We already packed our belongings and vacated our room."

 

"Alright, I'll grab my sword, then, you can wait outside." Irina happily nods.

 

We do as she asks, and then leave to the forest alongside her. Tracking is something I am good at, so we quickly find the Goblins' hideout. We all draw our weapons, me using my bow to kill an unsuspecting goblin, before going closer. I don't pick my scimitar, though, instead removing the scarf I've been wearing and holding it like a whip. It is a bladed scarf, a discreet yet deadly weapon in the right hands. Irina seems surprised by it; this weapon is extremely uncommon outside of Varisia.

The rest of the goblins grab their weapons and run towards me, but with a swift motion, I sweep three of them, making them fall flat to the ground. Irina take care of two others that have evaded my attack, with Alicia facing the last one. I grab the edge of the scarf to use it for close combat and jump next to the fallen Goblin that is the closest to me, quickly finishing it off before it can get back up. The other two stand up, one with much more difficulty as I see the deep cut that I made to its right leg. The less injured one try to hit me with its club, but I block it with the scarf and disarm it, before slicing its chest with the bladed part.

 

I glance at Irina who swiftly dodges the two goblins' attacks while slashing their limbs. She is skilled, indeed, but I understand that a sword most likely isn't her weapon of choice, as she is a bit amateurish in her movements. She still easily defeats them as I kill the injured one, who tried to flee.

Alicia, meanwhile, isn't as skilled as Irina when it comes to offense, but she is nimble, evading all the attacks of the last goblin, as she is preparing to cast a spell with her left hand. A stream of fire comes out of it, burning the goblin's face, and she stabs the monster with her dagger. She has this expression of disgust and sadness on her face, her despising to fight and kill, but, in this brutal world, knowing how to fight is needed.

I am proud to see her toughening up, as she was way meeker when we first met.

 

Once we are done, Irina approaches me, removing the blood from her sword. "I've never seen a weapon like this." she says.

 

I take the scarf with both hands and show it to her. "It's a bladed scarf. A weapon from Varisia, often used by performers. It can easily pass off as a normal scarf, so it's perfect to not attract attention when carrying a visible weapon is troublesome."

 

"I see. So you are from Varisia?" she asks.

 

"Not really, no, but I lived there for two years." I flatly reply. I don't like to talk about my past, and especially not to a stranger I just met a day ago. Alicia is an exception. "But enough about that, let's grab some proof of our deeds and return to the village."

 

Irina nods. We take what we need and walk back, the villagers glad to be rid of this problem.

 

On our way out, Irina comes to me and asks an important question. "Where are you travelling to, by the way?"

 

I look at the sky, the sun still high. "We're going to Varisia."

 

4