Chapter 6: Cheliax
63 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alicia's POV

 

 "Hmm…" I dizzily wake up after a long night of rest, noticing Kisara by my side, hugging me.

 

"Did you have a good night, Ali?" she asks in a gentle, yet slightly tired tone. She has sunken eyes.

 

"I did, but… did you stay awake all night?"

 

She nods, stretching her arms as she stands up. "Yeah. I had a bad feeling about the way people were looking at you, so I preferred to be cautious. We need to be careful around here."

 

"It was… really strange. I don't understand why they seem so interested in me. It wasn't the same look most people have when they see me for the first time." I ponder. "Might have I crossed this village at some point? No, I think they would have acted differently if that were the case…"

 

"Indeed. I think we should hurry our pace and leave soon." Kisara takes her pouch and counts the gold coins she has. "Let's buy a carriage and go."

 

"Alright. I think it's for the best." I pack my belongings and strap my dagger and my lyre. "I'm ready to go, Kisa."

 

Kisara delicately opens the door and peeks at the corridor. When she spots nothing wrong, I follow her to Irina's room, and we knock.

 

"Irina? Are you awake?" Kisara asks.

 

We hear some noise and a lock being opened.

Irina gets out, fully geared up. "Yeah. I imagine you got the same feeling I had, Syliana?" She speaks.

 

Kisara nods. "Probably. Let's leave as soon as possible."

 

After that, the three of us quickly take our horses and search for someone selling a carriage.  We find an old but still decent carriage at the stables. It isn't too big, but it is enough for us to rest in and carry our belongings more easily.

The transaction complete, we jump inside and ride away. We want to follow the safest roads, so we plan to reach the capital, Egorian, and then follow the main trade route to the port of Kintargo.

 

Once far enough from the town, I breathe a sigh of relief. "That was stressful." I say, holding my dagger. "I hope we won't have any problems for the rest of our journey."

 

"I hope so too." Irina adds. She is carefully observing the road behind us, to make sure that we aren't being followed. "Just being in Cheliax is already making me anxious enough, but the way these people acted was definitely suspicious. You don't remember having been there before, Alicia?"

 

I shake my head. "No, I'm fairly sure it's the first time I've been in Cheliax. The countries I somewhat remember travelling to are all countries from the eastern side of Avistan."

 

Kisara searches for something in her bag.

It is a strange-looking object, alongside a small pouch. "Take this, Ali, just in case. I only have ten bullets left, but it should protect you from threats. I don't really need it anymore."

 

"What is this?"

 

Kisara tilts her head. "You've never seen a pistol before? It's a pretty sophisticated weapon that can shoot bullets made of lead. It's small, but way deadlier than a crossbow, even if the range isn't as good as one." She holds it in her hand and demonstrates how to use it. Irina seems surprised, but doesn't say anything. "You hold it like this, and press the trigger to shoot. This one is a double-barrelled variant, so you can shoot twice before needing to reload. Just having one in hand is usually a good force of deterrence as most armors don't resist its power."

 

"You're full of surprise, Syliana. Pistols are pretty hard to get and fairly rare outside of Alkenstar." Irina comments.

 

Kisara smiles. "I travelled through pretty much all the welcoming countries of the Inner Sea, including the city of Alkenstar." She turns back to me and hands me the pistol. "Carry it with you, Ali. I'm certain that you'll find it useful."

 

I take it and straps it on my waist. "Thank you, Syl. I'll take good care of it."

 

Thankfully, our trip to the next town is uneventful. We reach the southern coastal city of Ostenso. It is the biggest coastal city of the southern parts of Cheliax, where the Cheliax Navy is docked, and where most trade with Absalom and the southern continent of Garund happen.

 

At our arrival, we are met by a gruesome spectacle: An open auction of slaves.

A group of wealthy-looking merchants and nobles are gathered in front of a scene where five slaves are displayed. Three of them look like tieflings, one is a halfling and the last one seems human. Four of the slaves have this lifeless expression, as if all hope has already left their souls.

The last one, a somewhat young dark-skinned tiefling, is desperately crying in silence. They look at us with pleading eyes as we walk past them. Our eyes meet, and I freeze. There is so much pain, so much fear… It breaks my heart, making me shiver. I keep staring at them, wishing I could do something…

 

Irina grits her teeth and puts her hand on my shoulder. "Let's… get away from here. I can't stand watching that."

 

I nod, disgusted by the scene.  "Y-yeah… L-let's just find the inn…"

 

Kisara just keeps quiet, but she clenches her fists, pure hate in her eyes.

 

We quickly walk away and find the inn. Some guards glance at me strangely, like in the border town, but it is less frequent. I want to clear my mind somewhat, and ask the innkeeper if I can play some songs during the evening. He gratefully accepts, glad to have some more animation, and leads us to our rooms. Irina drops her belongings inside her room and leaves to replenish our provisions.

 

"Are you alright, Ali?" Kisara asks once we get into our room.

 

"I… I think… I can't believe people would treat sentient beings like this…"

 

She sits next to me and hugs me. "I know… Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to save these slaves. We can just hope that they'll be bought by someone who'd treat them well."

 

After a moment of silence, I stand up and grab my lyre. "I need to get ready for this evening. Playing and singing will help make me feel better."

 

"Okay. But don't forget to take a rest beforehand. I'll be there to watch over you." Kisara says, smiling at me.

 

"Thanks, Kisa. Since Irina is away, you can… do your thing, if you want."

 

"That's a good time, yeah." Kisara removes her clothes and walks in front of the mirror.

 

 "Should I leave you alone?" I ask, since I would usually leave while she is shifting.

 

She shakes her head. "Not today, no. I prefer to know that you're safe. It… doesn't bother me if you stay. You already saw me transform a few times, after all." Her cheeks redden slightly as she says that last part.

 

I witness her change shape in front of me. She loses a few inches, her ears shorten, her long blonde hair turns into middle-length red hair, her eyes shift from an ocean blue to a verdant green… I observe this fascinating process until, in front of me, stands a young human woman, panting as she leans against the mirror.  Her eyes full of sadness and regrets, she cries as she stares at her reflection. I wish to see her beam with happiness, someday.

 

I do the only thing I can: I play a song with my lyre, to try to comfort her. It is a gentle and quiet song, full of hope. Kisara listens to it while staring at the mirror.

 

Once I finish, she takes a few steps back and looks at me. "Thanks, Ali." she says before sitting next to me. She is still looking like Camelia. She liked to spend some time in her shape.

 

She comes closer and holds my hand, taking a deep breath. "Maybe… once we're in Varisia…" she starts, hesitating a lot. "I'll… show you… what I really look like…"

 

I stare at her, aghast. "R-really?"

 

"I… I don't want… to hide it from you…" She is breathing heavily, visibly anxious.

 

I can see how worried she is. "Do you… hate it that much?"

 

"I… do… My real form… only brought me problems…" she replies, clenching her fists. "I… only started to feel alive after… taking Syliana's shape for the first time…"

 

I go to hug her, caressing her silky red hair. It is my first time touching her while she is wearing Camelia's shape. "I love you, Kisa. And that won't change, no matter what. If, once we're in Varisia, you still want to show me, that's alright, but I would still love you even if you decided against it. All I care about is your well-being and your happiness."

 

She reciprocates the hug, still a bit shaken. "Thank you…"

 

We keep hugging each other for a few minutes until Kisara calms down. She stands up and shifts back into Syliana, dressing up again.

 

"I'll try to take a short nap. Can you wake me up before the concert starts?" I ask, laying on my back.

 

"Of course." She smiles at me.

 

I close my eyes and fall asleep soon after.

 

<~><~><~><~>

 

After this rest, and escorted by Kisara, I go to the tavern, my lyre in hand. I am nervous, considering where we are, but I am convinced that singing will help ease my anxiety.

 

I walk on the stage that has been prepared for me, and bow to the patrons of the tavern. "Good evening, everyone! My name is Alicia and I'm going to perform some of my songs for you."

 

The majority of the patrons look at me in awe, most likely stunned by my appearance.

I take a deep breath and start to play, singing a song I wrote shortly after meeting Kisara; a song about a valiant woman exploring the world and facing many threats. I put all my heart in it, and notice the public observing me with fascination.

The inn resonates with the sounds of hands clapping and people cheering when I am done with this song. I smile and bow to the crowd, before starting another song. Kisara was leaning on a wall not far from me, observing the people gathered. Irina comes back and joins her. I feel safer with them watching over me. Song after song, the public keeps cheering, dancing and drinking, until I am finally done with the last song.

 

"Thank you so much for your warm welcome!" I say, bowing to the crowd one last time and leaving the stage to reunite with Kisara and Irina.

 

Irina is the first to speak, beaming with excitement. "That was an amazing performance, Alicia!"

 

Kisara simply smiles. "Alicia always manages to captivate the heart of everyone with her songs. No one can resist her charms."

 

Her remark makes me blush and I look away. "That's not true."

 

"Oh, it is absolutely true, Alicia." a voice comments. The whole inn suddenly becomes silent as Kisara, Irina, and I turn to face the person who spoke.

 

A man approaches us, clapping his hands. "You were truly magnificent, as always."

 

"As always?" Kisara comments on it before I can.

At the same time, I am observing him. The outfit he is wearing rules out him being a commoner, being far too expensive. He is either a rich merchant or a noble. I notice an insignia on it, making me believe that he is a noble. There's something strange about him…

 

"I got the opportunity to watch a few of Alicia's performances, but I heard that you forgot a lot of things, me included."

 

My eyes widen and I gasp. "Y-you… know me?"

 

He nods and smiles strangely. I feel weird… In the back of my mind, my subconscious is telling me that this man is a threat, but I don't know why. I become wary nonetheless. "I do, yes. I've been looking for you for a while now. By the way, I have a gift for you." He gestures at a guard behind him, who leaves the inn.

 

"A gift?" Irina asks.

 

The soldier returns soon after, bringing a person with him. A person I remember. 

 

"I saw how you looked at them during the auction. So I bought them for you." the man simply says as the young tiefling is led towards me. They are fearful, but I try to make a reassuring smile. "You can do whatever you want with them, but if you wish to free them, I recommend doing so far from Cheliax, or they'll just end up being captured again."

 

"You bought a slave for me?" I ask, incredulous. It was hard to believe.

 

"I did, yes. And now, you're their master. Until you free them, or course, because I know you will. It's not in your nature to keep other beings enslaved."

 

I approach the tiefling, taking hold of the chains restraining them. I gently caress their unkempt silvery hair. One of their horns is broken, and they have a few scars on their face and body. It's hard to say their gender; they're wearing rags and their body seems underdeveloped, most likely due to malnourishment. What I am certain of, though, is that they are still a teenager.  "I won't hurt you, don't worry." 

 

The tiefling weakly nods and walks behind me, as Kisara stands wary. "You never told us who you are, by the way." she points out. 

 

The man makes an elegant bow before replying."I apologise. My name is Theodore Jeggare, first son of the House Jeggare."

 

I notice that Kisara tenses slightly as he announces his name, but she tries her best to hide it. "And you say that you know Alicia?"

 

Theodore doesn't miss her reaction either. "Please, rest assured, I won't hurt any of you. You've been protecting Alicia all this time, I'm grateful for that. To answer your question, Alicia and I have known each other since she was still a young child. She is someone I care deeply about."

 

As I look into his eyes, I am certain that he isn't lying. His eyes are warm and compassionate. But something still feels wrong. Something I can't pinpoint. I'm starting to get a headache. Still, I need to ask him."Do you know… where I come from? And where my family is?"

 

He nods. "Yes. I can bring you to them if you'd like. But first, please allow me to invite you all to my mansion. I wish to thank you for bringing Alicia back, and allow her to rest in a more comfortable environment."

 

Kisara, Irina, and I exchange looks, before Irina speaks, bowing at Theodore. "If I may, my lord, can we discuss this together? We will give you our answer soon."

 

"Please do so, I have no intention of pressuring you. If you accept, simply hail the guard posted outside the inn and he'll escort you to my mansion. On that, I will take my leave, but I do hope that you will answer favorably to my invitation." Theodore bows, smiles one more time at me, and leaves. The headache is growing slightly stronger, but I pay it no mind. This weird feeling disappears as soon as he's outside.

 

Once he's out of view, Kisara turns to Irina. "Let's go to my and Ali's room, we'll talk there."

 

"Yeah. But what do we do about him? Her?" Irina asks, pointing at the tiefling who is still hiding behind my back.

 

I face them, smiling gently as I take their hand in mine. "I promise you that you are safe. We'll protect you."

 

"You… you will?" they ask, shivering.

 

"Yes. What's your name?"

 

They look down, their shivering becoming stronger. "S-slaves… don't have names… The master… gives them a name…"

 

"Poor child, this must be what the slave traders forced them to learn." I think, pulling them into a hug. "Please, don't consider me as your master, but as your friend. As soon as we reach a safe country, I will free you."

 

"R-really?" They are doubting me, but I just need to prove to them that I'm not lying. Irina and Kisara also make warm smiles.

 

"Yes. I hate slavery and want you to feel comfortable around us, so don't hesitate to tell us if anything is bothering you, alright?"

 

They sheepishly nod. "O-okay…"

 

"So, do you have a name?"

 

"K-Kotel… That's… the name I had before…" 

 

"This is a beautiful name, Kotel. I'm Alicia, and the women with me are Irina and Syliana."

 

"Nice to meet you, Kotel." Irina says. "If you allow me, may I perform a health checkup on you?"

 

"A… health checkup?"

 

"I just want to see if you are injured, and, if you are, heal you."

 

"Before you do that, Irina, let's go to the room. There are too many people around us." Kisara comments.

 

"Yeah, I agree." Irina nods.

 

We all get back on the first floor. Kotel follows me, their hand in mine. 

 

After making sure that the door and windows are closed, Kisara is the first to speak. "I don't trust this man." she says, leaning against the wall. "He's suspicious. What do you think, Ali?"

 

I sit on the bed, a bit dizzy. "I don't know… He seems genuine… but there's something strange…"

 

Kotel and Kisara both perk up on my situation. "A-are you alright, master?" "Ali, what's wrong?"

 

"Just a headache. I'll… be fine soon." I look at Kotel and smile. "Don't call me master, please… Call me Ali, or Alicia, whatever you prefer."

 

"Lay on the bed, Alicia, and breathe slowly." Irina says as she sits next to me. "Your headache isn't a good sign…"

 

"I-I'm certain he wasn't lying when he said that he cared about me… but I have no memories of him… And his presence made me feel… strange…" I comment.

 

"Strange how? Did he try to use a spell on you or something?" Irina asks.

 

"It's… hard to describe… It was like… I could feel his presence more clearly…"

 

"Should we try to see him, Ali?" Kisara adds.

 

"I don't know… You don't like the Jeggare all that much, don't you, Syl?"

 

She seems surprised by my question. "What?"

 

"I saw how you tensed up when he gave us his name."

 

Kisara sighs. "I've met one of them in the past, yes. I'll tell you later."

 

I nod. I assume that it's linked to Camelia one way or another, as I don't see how else she'd know a noble. She's not one for politics, after all.

 

"Kotel, how did he treat you after buying you?" Irina asks the tiefling.

 

"He… didn't treat me badly, but… I felt nonexistent in his eyes... That I was just… a purchase to please master." Kotel timidly replies.

 

"I think… we should see him. At least once. If he's connected to my past, I have to see him…" I state, clenching my skirt. I am afraid, really afraid. But my wish to reunite with my family is stronger than my fear.

 

Kisara smiles. "If that's what you want. Irina, can you go to your room with Kotel to check on them? I think Ali and I are gonna take a small nap."

 

"M-master?" Kotel looks at me, waiting for an answer.

 

"You can go, don't worry. Unless you don't want to, of course. Irina won't hurt you."

 

"O-okay." They nod and leave the room alongside Irina.

 

Kisara sits next to me. "I've met Theodore's younger brother in the past."

 

"His younger brother?"

 

"Henry Jeggare. He's the man Camelia was supposed to marry. I spoke with him once, after Camelia left." Kisara clenches her fists. "I know that he had nothing to do with the marriage, but I can't help but blame him for her running away…" She sighs. "I… I don't know how I'd feel if I were to see him again…"

 

I lean closer to her and rest my head on her shoulder as I hold her hand. "I'm here for you, Kisa… I'll always be here for you."

 

"Me too, Ali. No matter what, I'll protect you." Kisara gently pats my head. "Now, I think I will take a short nap before we go. I want to be well-rested in case something bad happens there."

 

"Yeah, good idea."

 

A few minutes later, there's a knock on the door. "M-master? May I come in?"

 

"Of course, my room is your room." I reply.

 

Kotel timidly walks in. They aren't wearing their old rags anymore. Instead, they have one of Irina's casual dresses. I'm still not sure of their gender, but they don't seem to particularly dislike the dress.

 

"Am I… allowed to stay with you?"

 

I smile and gesture at the bed. "Yes, come sit with us." As they sit, I caress their hair, trying to brush them. They tense at first, maybe expecting to be hit, but then allow themselves to relax. "There, that's a bit better. Do you want something? If you're sleepy, you can rest with us on the bed."

 

They gasp. "O-on the bed…with master?"

 

"It is a comfortable bed, and Irina's bed can't fit more than one person. On this one, we should be able to lay together." I then pull them into a hug as we both lay down, Kisara moving to the side to give us some space. "And I told you, I'm not your master, and you're not my slave. We are friends."

 

They are starting to cry. "B-but… I… I am a slave… If I don't… I'll be punished…"

 

I tighten my hug as I softly speak in their ear. "I won't punish you, and won't let anyone hurt you again. I want you to be free and happy, Kotel."

 

They sob against my chest, but I can feel the relief in their voice. "Are you… an angel?"

 

I giggle, and can see Kisara giving me an amused smile. "I don't know. I'm just me."

3