The nightmares begin
1k 7 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You wanted this” a watery voice croaked out from the silvery void, “don’t reject it”

I tried to open my mouth, but nothing happened. Looking down, it looked like my entire body below my eyes was engulfed in a pool of metal on the wooden floor. Looking up the smallish, cabin like room slowly came into view. Jumping up, I rushed to the window. Looking out I could see the dense wilderness surrounding it.

Within the blink of the eye, the wilderness was ripped apart and replaced by a spinning solar system. The cabin started getting ripped apart as the wooden beams flew into the void of space. I went to take a breath, but nothing happened as the surface of the metal bubbled. As the last of the cabin got ripped away, I was left floating in a giant blob of slivery metal in the middle of the abyss called space. 

My eyes burst open as I stifled a scream. Sitting up I looked around to see I was still at Phil’s house. Wiping a bead of sweat off my forehead. Looking around, I could see James in a sleeping bag in the corner. Phil was directly under the aircon which must have lowered the room to at least 20 degrees. 

Looking to the other corner I could see Tom’s shadowy figure seemingly staring at me from across the room. Freezing In place I slowly looked towards the door to see it slightly ajar. Hearing the ruffling of a sleeping bag I spun my head back to see Tom apparently fast asleep. Something felt off and the bottomless pit in my stomach only solidified this feeling.

Quietly, I slowly crawled out of the sleeping bag and made my way over to where Phil was sleeping. Shaking him awake he rapidly open and closed his eyes adjusting to the light. “What do you want Jon” he whispered, “it’s like 2am, this better be good” 

“Can you give me a lift home” I asked as he fully woke up, “I have a bad feeling.”

Immediately Phil’s eyes opened wide, “What kind of feeling Jon?”

“I just need to go home, could you give me a lift” I whispered as I stood up and walked towards the door

“Go to my car, I’ll get my keys” he whispered as he got up to grab his keys, “But Jon, I want an explanation.” “whether that is on the way or later tomorrow I want on” he said as he walked out the room.

Grabbing the door handle, I turned around to get a better look at Tom. Squinting, I rubbed my eyes. With a flash, my vision quickly became tinted silver. Looking up I looked around as the shadows almost vanished.

Letting go of the door handle, I raised my hand to rub my eyes. As the silver tint started to vanish, I saw Tom out of the corner of my eye. He was staring at me, and it felt directed at chest. My vision flashed again as the silver hue completely disappeared and the shadows reappeared. Quickly turning around, I closed the door and walked to the garage.

Getting in the car, Phil gave me a look and slowly pulled out from his carport. “What’s going on Jon” he asked as we pulled onto the highway, “I just want to help.”

 “don’t worry about it” I muttered as I watched the streetlights pass by. 

“Is this about what happened at the mall on Friday” he said. As we pulled onto my street I glanced over at him.

His fists were clenching the steering wheel as if trying to crush it, deal with some hidden pain , controlling his anger or maybe even a combination of the three. “You don’t believe that rumour right Phil” I stuttered as I watched him slowly release the wheel.

“My mum was there Jon, she though she saw you there too” he said as we pulled into my street, “She was going to go say hi but it was just some chick.” 

“I didn’t see you Mum yesterday Phil” I said fearing the worst, “is she ok”

“if you call blackout drunk ok then she is fine” he said as he started to tear up and the cracks started to show, “what happened wasn’t a prank Jon, some kid was creating shockwaves with his hands or something.” “He almost crushed my mum Jon” he said seemingly breaking down in front of me, “Her ears are probably still ringing”  

Before I could say anything, Phil stopped the car outside my house. “If you hear anything about these Supers tell me” He said, his eyes full of desperation as his façade crumbled, “People like him need to be stopped before they hurt people”  

“What are you saying” I said carefully.

“I don’t know what’s happening Jon” he said looking at me, “A kid seemingly gained superpowers and they immediately turned to crime.” “And we don’t know how many of them there are, how many will end up like him” he said, stopping to contemplate something, “how many will turn into villains” he said shuddering. 

“He’s probably the only one… right Phil” I said, “We don’t have to worry”

“We both know that’s not true” Phil said as he looked at my house, “From the rumours there is at least one more.”

“Then the police will deal with them” I said. “Just don’t worry about it” I said, but as I was about to continue Phil butted in. 

“I have to get home Jon” he said as he once again stared to grip the wheel, “I’ll see you on Monday”  

Jumping out of the car with my bag I looked back to see Phil roaring down the street. His mum was at the shopping centre and she thought I was a girl. 

A rush of emotions filled me as I shook my head.  

Groaning, I ran up to the door and rushed inside. Just as I closed the door, I heard the faint sound of the garage door opening. Mum was home.

She was home early, that can’t be good. Almost stumbling over the cat, I dashed into my bedroom as quietly as possible and shut the door. Diving into the bed, I pulled the sheets up and attempted to look asleep. That always works. 

Staying Frozen in bed, my bedroom door slowly creeped open. Peaking out of one eye I could see my Mum standing in the doorway staring at me. She slowly walked in and started to knell next to my bed. Barely breathing, she leant over and kissed my forehead. 

As she started to walk back, she glanced at me and placed a box on my desk. Sighing, she creeped out of the room. Who was this stranger, Mum never showed real affection to me before? 

Getting up she slowly walked out of the room, only stopping to glance back at me. Slowly I began to sit up. 

Letting out a breath I glanced around the basically pitch-black room. Hearing my mum turn on the air conditioning in the kitchen, I groaned and opened my window as a cold gust of midnight wind blew through it. 

Still sweating I threw the bedcovers on the floor and crawled into the bed. 

_/|\_/|\_/|\_/|\_/|\_/|\_/|\_/|\_/|\_/|\

Groaning, I slowly turned over in my bed as the rustling of my bedroom curtain knocked my lamp off my bedside table. Sitting straight up, I glanced over at the lamp. It didn’t see broken. Getting up i quickly shut the window which cut off my rooms supply of cold air. Pouting, I slowly walked over to the lamp and placed it back on the table. 

I quickly walked over to my black bag and dumped out my still slightly wet clothes into the clothes basket. Hearing a loud knock on my door I glanced over to see my mum walk into the room. 

“I thought I heard you stumbling around up here” she said as she looked me up and down, “Why is your hair so long”

Quickly glancing at my mirror, I started to panic, my hair looked like it hadn’t been cut in months, it was starting to even cover my ears. But before I could answer her question she butted back in.

“Jon, I need you to run up to the store later” she said as she glanced at my bedroom, the bedsheets on the floor particularly. “And you need to clean your room” she said as she walked up to me. Even after I had shrunk a couple of centimetres I still was a good 5 centimetres taller than her. 

Looking out of my bedroom, I saw her slowly start to walk to her bedroom but she stopped to glance at the photo covered mantle. As she picked up a picture she sighed as she walked into her bedroom.

Quickly picking up the random articles of clothing on my floor and dumping them in my clothes basket, I went and stood outside of my mum’s door. I stopped and took a couple of deep breaths as I tried to gain some courage.

Failing, I decided against it and slowly walked back to my. Bedroom. Glancing at my phone screen I stared at the 4 bars at the top of my screen, we had internet again. 

I guess the government really did need their internet.

Letting out a sigh of relief I quickly pulled up my friends group chat, but to my annoyance no one had sent any messages. Groaning I threw my phone on the bed as I went to grab a book off my book shelf.

As I went to take a step forward, I felt my foot snag on a piece of clothing. Stifling a scream I fell forwards towards my metal bed frame. Flailing my arms around I managed to grab the bed frame with one of my hands and stopped my fall.

Standing up, I bushes the non-existent dust off my shirt and glanced at the clothing on the ground. I felt my face heat up as I saw one of the blue bras lying partially under my bed. 

Let’s hope Mum didn’t see that. Glancing around I quickly chucked that in my clothes basket. Let’s just act like she didn’t. 

Looking around my bedroom one more to stop anything out of the ordinary, I saw my bed frame where I had stopped my fall. There was the faint impression of a hand print.

Let’s just hope Mum doesn’t look to closely at my room

Thanks for reading and sorry for the lateish upload.

If you see any grammatical errors please te me so I can fix them.

I’m gonna miss next week so I’ll upload a chapter on Friday

As well, thanks for almost 3k views guys, it means a lot

32