Chapter 2: Baggage
1.5k 21 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It came down to me, faster than I could react, like a lightning flash in the midst of the storm. The huge shadow covered my field of vision whole, followed by the excruciating pain on my neck.

 

My mind went into a total chaos as I cried out from the tips of my lungs. Every sensation I’d ever felt in all my life came crashing into my very being all at once, creating a chaotic mess that was my mind.

 

I kept crying and crying, screaming as I wished the pain would go away. 

 

No, this was too much…

 

I’d die.

 

I couldn’t stand it any longer!

 

I couldn’t! 

 

I couldn’t!! 

 

I co—

 

“Hwahhh!!!” I gasped and jolted. 

 

My eyes opened wide and I began panting hard. Swiftly, my hands went toward my neck, touching it, inspecting the wound.

 

There was nothing. 

 

I couldn’t feel it. 

 

There was no wound; just a very soft and smooth sensation like I was touching a woman's skin.

 

Wait, a woman's skin? 

 

I looked down and was greeted by the same pair of watermelons. They were wrapped tightly by the black tunic.

 

Wait, what? I remembered I tore it apart, and as soon as I did that, that thing started to…

 

An image of the shadowy figure of that monster flashed across my mind. 

 

Then a familiar roar rang out.

 

In relex, I spun around and put my guard up. My hands went toward the hilt of my sword and pulled it out of its scabbard.

 

The roar echoed loudly in the dim hallway, straining my ears. 

 

Then, just like before, it came rushing at me at the speed of the dragon breath, accompanied by the explosive sound as it kicked the ground.

 

I squinted my eyes and got into a state of intense focus. Time slowed down to a crawl. I could see the movement of every muscle of its body.

 

I narrowed my eyes further and focused on the approaching monsters. 

 

I could see it. In the right side of its chest lay its very weakness—its core.

 

I sensed the circulation of my mana and led it into a single spot, gathering it all into my sword. It went through, and the sound of lightning spark started to hum.

 

My heart thumped in my chest once, and I could sense the adrenaline rushed through my veins.

 

It’s time.

 

I let out my breath…

 

Time resumed its usual speed as I kicked the ground and lashed forward! 

 

My vision flashed once, and the next moment I was right in front of the monster. 

 

Its eyes widened in that split second, but it was too late. I lashed toward my left and went right through the monster’s frank. 

 

I could vividly recall the sensation of my blade cutting through its flesh the moment I landed behind the monster.

 

The slashing sound rang out followed by the agonizing cry of the monster. A smell of burnt meat kicked my nostrils.

 

Though, before I could even utter a smile of victory, I started to lose my balance and fell forward.

 

What the..?

 

I slid one foot forward and tried my best to regain my footing. Then I spun around and crouched, eyeing the monster.

 

My eyes widened at what I saw. 

 

The monster was still alive and still looked as strong as before!

 

Its silver fur glistened under the torches‘ lights. Its red eyes narrowed and flashed with murderous intent as they locked onto me. Its maw hung open, showing me its sharp teeth and fangs. 

 

There was a slashed wound on its right flank. It was smoldering, giving out a burnt smell.

 

I… missed? 

 

I couldn’t believe what I saw. How could this be? It was rare for me to miss my mark like this.

 

Usually, I was able to defeat my foes in a single strike. This guy in front of me was no exception.

 

Thinking back to the moment I stepped foot into this hallway, I remembered being greeted by this guy. It stood there guarding the most valuable treasure in this labyrinth. No doubt, it was the strongest one here.

 

Though, even that didn’t matter to me. I was able to take it down in a single strike like always. But, right now, that wasn’t the case. 

 

What changed? 

 

What’s going on?

 

Did it get stronger after respawning?

 

No, that wasn’t it. No matter how I looked at it, it was me who missed the mark. But how could that..?

 

Then a realization hit me. 

 

Without taking my eyes off my enemy, my left hand went toward my chest. My palm sank into the wondrously soft mound, giving me a ticklish sensation.

 

Right, how could I forget? 

 

It was this pair of baggage that was the problem. These useless sacks added extra weights to my chest and made me lose my balance.

 

No wonder I missed my mark.

 

Coming to that conclusion, I started to realize what’s going on once again. The memory from before flashed across my mind, making me froze in my place.

 

Different emotions started kicking in. Confusion, panic, fear, anger, curiosity. They rushed into me all at once and made me lose my focus for a moment.

 

The monster must have noticed that as it stood on its hind legs and lashed toward me even faster than before! 

 

Before even realizing it, the monster was already right in front of me with its maw wide open. Then it came down, straight to my neck, tearing it, chewing it, ravaging it.

 

The same excruciating pain terrorized me again. My mind became a total turmoil once more as I screamed out loudly…

 

———

 

“Hwahhh!!!” I gasped and jolted.

 

My eyes went wide open as I panted hard. Sweat rolled down my forehead, to the tip of my nose, and down to the ground.

 

Right. So that’s what it was. I remembered it now.

 

I reached my left hand and touched my neck. As I thought, there was no wound. But those visions I kept seeing since a while ago weren't a hallucination, either.

 

It was one of my skills, “Foresight”. It allowed me to see three seconds into the future and would activate automatically once I was in a life-threatening danger.

 

I hadn’t used this skill since I beat the Dragon King Yamarr. No other monsters could even pose a serious danger, so such a godly skill was put behind my closet.

 

But now, it finally activated. From what? A silver rank monster?

 

A bitter smile appeared on my face. I crouched and began adjusting my breathing.

 

Alright, let’s focus. I needed to calm down. Be still. As still as water in the pond.

 

I narrowed my eyes and went into an intense focus. Time slowed down. But this time, I didn't focus on my enemy.

 

Slowly letting out my breath, I focused inward. I could feel it. Every single muscle in my body. Every single organ. I could feel it. 

 

Now, all I needed to do was to adjust to it. Change the posture, and then… 

 

I lowered my hip, widened my stance, and shifted my torso slightly. There, perfect.

 

In slow-motion, the monster stood on its hind legs and crouched down, ready to lunge at me.

 

I took a deep breath, slowly, gently. 

 

Still….

 

Everything was still and calm. Only the sound of my breath slowly moving in through my nostrils and down my lungs hummed in the background.

 

The monster crouched and then sprang forth. I could see it very clearly. Every movement. Every possible damaging spot.

 

I just needed to wait…

 

Focus.. and…. NOW!!

 

I let out my breath in a huff and lashed forward. Time resumed its usual speed, and before I knew it I was right behind the monster!

 

A trail of lightning spark followed suit, accompanied by the buzzing sound. 

 

After that was a painful cry of the monster. It only lasted for a few seconds until it stopped and fell to the ground with a thud. Dust scattered on the ground.

 

I turned around and sheathed my sword. Looking at the monster lying on the ground,  dead, I looked down at my chest.

 

“Yep, gonna need time to get used to this,” I muttered to myself and smiled.

53