Chapter 19 – Are We Really Giving the Fungus Internet Access?
507 10 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Only a single pass for editing but I think I liked everything.  Feel free to mention if anything's obviously off.

    My brand new other self spent the rest of the day wandering around topics in The Consensus while I finished up my work day, both of us buzzing with anxiety and excitement over seeing Cairn and Lilly again after 3 years of not.  Excitement, as I missed them so very much.  Anxiety, as there was not just the ‘meeting the new girlfriend’ vibe, but that combined with ‘she’s also an alien’ and ‘could we offer you a brain fungus in these trying times?’  It was a lot to process, but the thought of having the same level of connection with the two of them as I had with Sylph was giving me so many good feelings.  Eeeeeeeeeeeee’s internally.

    In addition, or maybe because we were filled with anxious energy, the two of me also spent a lot of the time bombarding Sylph with random mental banter.  I’m absolutely sure it didn’t bother her at all and all of the glares, eyerolls, and threatening mental sharings back at us were merely an expression of love.  Unfortunately for her, the threats were rather interesting ones about things that might happen when we got home, so it did very little to dissuade us from continuing to pester her.  We very much wanted to find out what Sylph had in mind following all of our fucking around in her direction.

    Sylph apparently did as well, judging by the sly look on her face as we were saying goodbye to my family when I was done for the day.  Once we made it outside she took my hand and intertwined her fingers.  “Would you like to go back to my place?  I think I have some things we should take care of there.”

    I playfully nudged her with my elbow and gave Sylph a wink. “Am I things?”

    “Yes, but I also did have something else in mind first.”

    “Awwww…"  I pouted at her.  "Well, what were you thinking?”  My partially sarcastic pout replaced by genuine curiosity. 

    “If tomorrow we are to attempt to talk to your friends about the reality of my situation, and even offer for them to join us and the consensus, we might want to plan out how best to ease them into that concept.”

    “Yeah…  That’s a big part of why I’ve been so anxious all day today.  You’ve given me so many reasons to avoid thinking about that…”  I squeezed her hand and gave her a kiss on the cheek.  “But I probably should be thinking about it.  You had done a bunch of work with projecting possible first contact situations right?”

    “I have.  Yours did not go quite to plan…”  There was that flash of guilt she still felt over her perceived violation of me.  "I know we've learned so much since then and I would like this time to go much better."

    I let go of her hand and wrapped her up in a big sudden hug.  "You've got Badger and two of me on your side this time, of course it will go much better!"

    Badger let loose a mighty "Bork!" in agreement, and we both leaned down to give them scritches.

    "Thank you Badger, I'm sure your help will be invaluable."  Sylph giggled and stood back up with me.  "But this is why I thought we could take some time with the consensus working on how best to do things and making my little home in the grove as inviting as it can be."

    "Awwww.  It's very cute that you've finally shown me you are nervous too.  You've been being all strong and supportive of me and now I get to take care of your nerves too."  I kissed her and it was very nice.  "Follow me, we are getting nachos to snack on while we think."

    I pulled Sylph along to a Mexican food place that had been on Main Street for as long as I've been alive, passed down between a few generations of the Ortega family, most of whom my mom had befriended through her tea shop.  They had the best nachos.  After many introductions and much fawning over Sylph being the brand new girlfriend of poor lonely Marin, we were sent away with a large platter of nachos, a bottle of wine, and some sopapillas for later, all tucked into a wicker basket to be returned tomorrow.

    It was a very pleasant walk the rest of the way to Sylph's cleaning in the grove.  The leaves were growing further towards the rare shade of red that this grove was mildly famous for being one of the few that didn't turn yellow in the fall.  It would still be a few weeks before everything turned and the whole side of the valley became a vibrant and somewhat otherworldly crimson.  

    I wonder if a certain fungus has anything to do with the red?  I felt my other self start poking around with the grove's fungal remembrances for if it was responsible at all for the color.  We shared a mental high five for the good idea.

    We got all settled within Sylph's cave and she began to transform back into the self I first met her as.  She was so beautiful and I was lost just watching her skin change color, her hair turning back to feathers, her face shifting and becoming so much more expressive, and her antlers growing back out of her head.

    “Sylph, it’s been bothering me.  Your antlers, they are beautiful, why do you have antlers?”  I gestured above her head with a confused look on my face.

    She let loose a melodious giggle, “Has that been bothering you the whole time?”

    “Actually no, and I’m not at all sure why it hasn’t as it seems such an obvious thing I would have been curious about.  I guess just the rest of you…”  I gestured vaguely at the rest of her, “completely distracted me from curiosity about just that.”

    “That makes sense, I appear to be very good at distracting you.”  

    She lightly trailed her fingers down my neck and my eyes rolled back in my head as my body involuntarily shivered. 

    “When I first landed here three weeks ago, the first animal to notice me that I was aware of was a young deer.  Their antlers reminded me of the growth patterns in a plant-like species I had been studying on the last world we visited before coming to earth.”  Sylph sighed happily.  “It was a wonderful reminder of the ways evolution winds up shaping things so similarly across even light years distance.  So I put some on my head.”

    “Well that’s a reason.”  I nodded to myself.  “I think my brain was lost trying to find some functional reasoning for why you might have them, antenna maybe?  But why would you need that when communications were all your silly quantaglobin proteins which are all spooky action at a distance, no antenna required.”

    More giggling from Sylph, “Remember that is only your society, at least the harmful aspects of your society that don't see aesthetics as functionally valuable."  

    I nodded my head, I had to give her that one.  Curse you capitalism!

    "Also, your mind is still such an amazing wonder to me and only drives me to explore you more.”

    “To boldly go where no alien has gone before, into the recesses of my chaotic head.”  I stepped closer to her, wrapping my arms around her waist.  “I’m sure I can find some more things I’d like you to explore.”  An eyebrow waggle completing my innuendo.  

    Sylph got that predatory look in her very large golden glowing alien eyes, but she was distracted by some grumblings of a very patient dog seated to the side of us.  Badger needed food.  My tummy grumbled in response.  I needed food as well

    We set Badger up with their dinner, and Sylph indicated for me to set our little picnic basket down right in the center of her bed. 

    "Sylph, trust me, you do not want nacho bits in your bed.  Not fun to sleep on.  I learned the hard way."

    Sylph just laughed at me.  "I'm so sorry you had to find that out the hard way."  She was still giggling, but finally settled herself.  "You've seen what my bed is made out of though?"

    I nodded, placing my hand off the very soft and self heated expanse of clover and moss.  

    "Any… nacho bits, as you called them… will just be pulled down into the foliage and composted."  She giggled again as my jaw dropped.

    I had to see this work.  I set down our basket and pulled off the lid, extracting the wine and desserts to get to the nachos.  I grabbed a slice of olive off the top, which pulled with it a string of cheese, and dropped it on the bed.  I stared in amazement as the clover leaves separated and drooped allowing the cheesy hoop of olive to slough off and slowly sink into the bed.  I felt where it had once been and not a hint of grease remained on the clover.  My shocked face turned back to Sylph.  The wonders this woman has brought me.  "I love you, this is brilliant!"  I kissed her, she was amazing!  "Can you make changes in your bed?  Like, could you make a sturdier raised spot between us so we can keep these cups from spilling?"

    Sylph nodded and dramatically waved her hand over her bed, releasing a few glowing spores that floated down.  Shortly after contact the greenery of the bed began to change.  A circular portion grew up and the clover leaves broadened, overlapping with each other.  Two recessed circles formed as well.  

    She made cup holders!  I stared dreamily into her eyes.  "You never cease to amaze me."  I eagerly pulled the nacho platter out from the basket, poured each of us a glass of wine, and we dug in.  The nachos were wonderful as always.  

    In between bites we discussed plans for what to do with Lilly and Cairn tomorrow, while our separate instances of self mingled in The Consensus within gems simulating how best to tell them of Sylph's origins.  

 


    I added facets for each Lilly and Cairn as contacts to gems on this discussion.  Into these gems I poured whatever knowledge on who they are that I knew they'd feel comfortable for me to be sharing with others.  Tweaking simulations here and there according to how I'd know they react.  The whole time empathetically receiving a growing excitement from the other minds within The Consensus, eager to know and connect with the people who were so important to me as I was so important to them; a fact that was continuously at odds with and steamrolling over my imposter syndrome.

    I wasn't surprised when we reached a consensus, that the best plan was a simple case of slowly escalating honesty.  No more lies or gracefully obfuscated truths about Sylph's origins or the circumstances of our meeting, but easing the two of them into the concept that Sylph isn't exactly from here… here being Earth.  We could move on and take them for a walk to the grove.  Show off the cave and demonstrate the fungal biotech.  My favorite possible outcome we'd have to dissuade them from was the idea I've been swept up in the machinations of the Fae rather than aliens.  Sylph and I were still nervous, but overall, far more hopeful now than we were earlier.


 

    As we got deeper into the bottle of wine, I pulled out the dessert.  "So now these are sopapillas.  I have so many wonderful memories of growing up with these."  I shared a collection of them with Sylph.  Both mothers and the triad all jammed into a corner booth, my sticky fingers touching far too many things in my goal to fill them with as much honey as I could, it spilling out over my face and hands with each bite.  “I tend to be slightly less sticky after I eat them as an adult though.”  I blushed a bit as Sylph giggled at me and I showed her how to bite open a little hole and start filling.

    I took my first bite of the honey filled goodness and of course my anxiety wouldn't just let me have that alone.  "Sylph, what if Cairn or Lilly, or more likely any of the triad… What if they don't want to go the symbiote route?  I mean I'm not at all worried that any of them are just gonna cut ties and bolt."

    “With any big change in relationship with others, comes the possibility things won’t work out how you want them to.”

    “I know that!  I just want to… I don't know… offer an alternative I guess.  That way I don't have to accidentally pressure them into altering their biology.  Less people are as interested in that as meeting me would have led you to believe.”  My mood brightened a bit with an idea.  “I still want them to be able to be a part of the consensus.  It needs to be accessible.  It needs a human interface that isn’t as invasive as a brain fungus.”

    Sylph grimaced at the use of the term, but nodded.  “That does make sense.  What are you thinking?”

    “Can your little pool there display text or play audio?”  I pointed at the small water basin in the middle of Sylph’s cave.

    She looked thoughtful for a moment, “Yes.  Spores can generate light, sound, and tactile sensation.  It would need some form of control node to translate The Consensus into a form un-altered humans could comprehend.”

     “Nice!  No wait, they’d have to use it here."  I hung my head down.  "That wouldn’t work if Cairn and Lilly wanted a connection after going back to California.”  But then I had another idea!  "What if we gave the grove Internet access!?"

    "What?"  Sylph gave me a very good look of incredulity.

    "I'm serious!  We put a computer in here, hook the fungus up to it, and give it access to the Internet."  I beamed at her over the ingenuity of my idea.  "Then we give it some control nodes so it could parse and use the internet and communicate with anyone who's not down with the fungus."

    She took a second to move from her prior doubt to her lovely thoughtful expression.  "Well, it's possible.  It'll most likely take a very complicated neural network to interface properly.  That's beyond my capability, though there are several within The Consensus that would not think that much of a challenge."

    "We'd have to make sure it could hide its location and generally it's existence from anyone though.  If the government, corps, or some douchebag hackers got wind of or access to it that wouldn't be good.  Do you think we should try?"  I looked at her excitedly.

    "I think The Consensus would value the idea, even if it were just something to consider as a thought experiment.  You should suggest it."

    "Well then other me shall do just that."  

 


    Gathering up my thoughts on basics of how the internet works and the concept of forming an interface between it and the grove and set it into The Consensus.  It floated there for a short time, prodded by various minds, tasted for its contents.  Then suddenly a multidimensional gem sprung up in its place.  Facets created for each relevant topic intersection.  Partially overlapping other discussion gems pulled into place through common facets.  Minds joined the new discussion and got to work, and I entered to watch.  

    There were already gems within The Consensus discussing the architecture and topology of the human internet, what aspects of it the aliens could pick up from stray satellite signals that happened their way.  In line with their “Prime Directive” they had taken a mostly hands off approach and settled for merely monitoring and studying, aside from a bit of harmless online shopping.  This request would be more involved.  Making a more permanent and reliable connection, a direct interface between a node on the alien’s distributed entangled network, to a node on the human networks of monetization and control of information.  There was a minor sense of revulsion at what humans had created, but also the acceptance and understanding that there were still many who did use the internet for purposes very similar to The Consensus.  It was the closest thing the humans had, and also a thing that could become a tool for building shared values and trust.

    Within the gem there was a turning of focus on me, and a projection of appreciation for the perspective, the possibility, and the beginnings of consent to interact with humanity on a far more encompassing scale.  The Consensus hugged me again and it was good.  

    Oh crap, I forgot to mention something!  *Make sure you remember that if the grove does interact on the internet, it will be tracked by individuals and AI algorithms.  If there are enough weird interactions it might flag the wrong people or systems to pay attention.*  I packaged up a rudimentary understanding of Internet privacy issues and various places I knew of to learn more and sent that in as well.  The addition of information caused the gem to further shift and warp around me as new facets were added.

    The gathered minds beamed at me another projection of appreciation, but this ongoing mind-hug was cut short…

    I was suddenly pulled out of my discussion in The Consensus as my shared memory was being flooded with sensations and emotions of desire through the other me.  Sylph and I were naked and doing naughty things without me… well I was there, but only one instance of me.  I warred within myself on the possibility of closing myself off to what was going on outside my mental void.  Feeling like I had to cut myself off from Sylph.  I hated the thought and was plagued by it's seeming necessity.  Anxiety rose up within me and I was spiraling.  The failsafe started to pull me back from sensation and memory.  There in the empty space with me was the other me.  Crap, I just cock-blocked myself!

    'OMG! I didn't even consider how awkward this would be with two of me!'

    *Yeah that was a bit surprising… but I guess not that surprising actually.  I now get social anxiety over interacting with myself!  Yay!*

    'Don't worry, you'll probably find something embarrassing in the consensus at some point that entirely distracts and messes me up too.'  

    The sparkling presence that made up the other me within the void suddenly gained a spectral hand.  Ey reached out to my essence and gently made contact.  A soft electric tingle rolled in a wave across my thoughts, leaving comfort in it's wake.  I shivered and relaxed into that touch.  In that moment, I felt both of us, the divergence of mood and thought that had been building, culminating in the moment my failsafe started to pull us both into the void.  In that moment ey touched me, we were in sync and the divergence was gone.  The overriding thought of that moment of synchronicity was how much we both very much wanted to get back to Sylph.  Sylph who moments ago had been naked and straddling my body, and she was probably concerned now.

    The connection was separated, hand removed.  *Well that was an interesting and pleasant sensation*

    'Yeah.  I didn't know that would happen. I just needed to comfort you.'

    *And I needed the comfort… which is probably what you felt, being me and all…  Anyways, you should get back to Sylph, I'll be okay now.  I can work with Fungie to tune things out.*

    My other self turned back to me, a mischievous glint in eir presence.  'Yeah, you could do that…  Would you like to join us instead?'

    We both knew the answer to this question right away.  The idea formed mutually between us.  One instance connecting with Sylph in the physical world, one instance connecting with her in the mental.  The two of us working together, overlaying two dimensions of contact with Sylph to show her how much we loved and desired her.  With a mental nod we both turned to focus on Sylph.


 

     My body was relaxed when I came back to it, laying on my back in Sylph's bed.  Sylph was laying next to me, gently stroking my hair.  I opened my eyes, turned to look at her, and smiled.  "I'm back."

    She smiled back at me, concern filling her big glowing eyes. "Are you okay?"

    "I am now."  I leaned into her hand.  "That feels very nice."  I took a moment to further enjoy her fingers on my scalp.  "So, unsurprisingly, my other self felt us getting a little horny and it overwhelmed poor other me feeling left out, but not actually… but we have an idea."  The mischievous glint I gave my other self was back now in the form of a smirk upon my face.

     Sylph's face shifted as she received a sharing of the idea from my other instance.  The warm concerned smile moving through shock to amusement to desire.  She nodded and I lifted up on my side to kiss her.  

    The actions of other me overlaid upon my memory.  Ey was directly connected with Sylph, projecting eirself as a physical form pressed up behind her, touching and kissing her as well.  My instance of brain made sense of our overlaid memory through me seeing a spectral image of another me.  I could see, but not touch, but for Sylph, it was as if two of us were now on the bed with her, entirely focused on her.

    We were going to have a lot of fun tonight.

 

    Sex stuff happening below this in the spoiler box.  Story picks up with next chapter and nothing missed if that's not of interest.

Spoiler

span>   I wrapped an arm around her back, moving through where the mental impression of my other self was pressed up against her.  Ey wrapped eir arm around from behind Sylph, cupping her breast which was simultaneously pressed up against my own.  She moaned into my mouth and I took the opportunity to nibble on her lower lip.

    I pulled back slightly and smirked at her.  "It's your turn to tell me if you end up being the one overwhelmed."

    Sylph smirked back at me and deftly crossed a leg over and flung herself up to straddling me, temporarily pulling away from the spectral image of my other self.  We weren't going to let her have the upper hand so easily.  Other me quickly recovered and appeared behind Sylph, pulling her up against em.  Sylph's smirk disappeared into another low moan as eir hands again found her breasts, pulling her upright, and mine grabbed on to her hips, grinding her down.

    I was erect and my enbyhood was trapped between her pussy and my tummy as I rocked my hips into her.  She arched her back into the other me who began to kiss and nibble her neck, and gyrated down into me, slickness produced by each of us aiding in the ease of this motion.

    I needed my lips on her as well.  I pulled myself upright using her hips for leverage and kissed the other side of her neck and her collarbone.  My other self had started grinding up against her from behind which only drove her hips further into rocking motions against both of our very aroused and sensitive bits.  Two sets of hands all over her body, mine grabbing hard on her back and ass pulling her into me, my double's on her breast and clit pulling her into em.  She squirmed and moaned in delight and that only made us more needy.

    In a coordinated move, we both shared with Sylph an intent and a request.  She had yet to experience penetration by more than a few fingers, and we both wanted to offer an alternative.

    She was already breathing heavily, but gasped when the suggestion hit her.  Sylph's wonderful golden eyes gazed into my own as she nodded and breathed out a "yes!"  She lifted up off me slightly and reached down to guide me into place.  She lingered there for a bit, just enjoying the feel of my erection pressing against her.  It felt amazing and the anticipation of what was about to happen caused my legs and abs to clench.  It took so much willpower to resist the urge to pull her down on to me by her hips, but I somehow managed.  Both my other self and I had slowed our attentions to allow her control over her first time at this.

    Sylph began to ease herself down on to me, and we both let out a shuddering breath as she started a slow rocking motion, taking in just a little more each time.  I squeezed her thighs and squirmed under her.  Fighting the instinct to thrust upwards was delightful torture.  I shared with her what I was feeling and all the urges I was holding back as I looked up into her face.  She just smirked at me, grabbed my breasts, and pushed me down into the bed.  

    Sylph's face was both angelic and demonic as she gently swayed her hips from side to side, growing accustomed to the feel of me and delighting in the needy look in my eyes.  She leaned down to me, or lips meeting, and then she pressed her hips down to mine fully.  She took all of me inside her and we both moaned into each other's faces.

    I couldn't help but giggle with glee at how good it felt.  It had been years since I had this level of physical intimacy with anyone, and the comfort, the desire, the love of this moment washed over me in a full body shiver.  I shared my emotions and sensations with Sylph and kissed her.  I also began rocking my hips into her as I very much needed to keep some motion going.

    Sylph held my face with both hands as we kissed.  She shared with me all of the love and desire she was feeling along with everything she was feeling physically.  Oh wow!  I had never really been one to put much thought into having my genitals reconfigured other than removing the parts that produced the wrong hormones, but now, feeling what she was feeling and knowing Fungie could take care of that over the course of a day…  The different config became a very interesting option to take for a test drive…

    I was quickly interrupted from that train of thought as I felt the wonderful alien on top of me clench down on my erection and begin rocking her hips in time with my own.  Energy and heat was building between us and thoughts completely disappeared outside of awareness of everywhere we touched and moved and pressed up against each other.  

    My other self was thinking clearly though.  Ey had been giving Sylph room to focus on this first for her as a discrete experience, but now that she had gotten a bit of that, it was time to add more.  Through mutual agreement I grabbed onto and held Sylph's ass while my other self placed eir face in between her cheeks, tongue first.  Her back arched and her breath caught in her throat.  I held still so she could also enjoy this as is.

    And enjoying everything she was.  Her breathing was erratic.  Her greenish skin was flush with purple tones.  Her hips were writhing into me and pressing back into my instance's face.  She was getting close but there was one more thing we wanted to try.

     I grabbed her hips and held her firmly and whispered into her ear, "Stop for a second."  She whimpered at me not letting her move and other me's tongue removed from her ass.  

    I smiled at her teasingly as my other self mentally spoke to her.  *Would you be interested in something more than just a tongue?*

    Sylph nodded immediately, but her expression turned to staring daggers at me. "Yes please, just do not stop again!"

    We both laughed at her frustration, but there was no way we weren't going to obey that demand.

    Within Sylph's mind the other instance of me pressed eirself against her opening while I held her steady.  Ey eased eirself in and I felt Sylph clench hard on me as she moaned with pleasure.  I could feel everything the other me was feeling.  Sylph was sharing everything she was feeling.  I had to wrap my arms around her to steady myself as pleasure washed through all of us.  I held her close to me, feeling her heartbeat through her chest and all the fluttering muscles around her core.  The other me wrapped around her from behind and held eirself close as well, and then Sylph started rocking her hips again.

    She started slowly at first, testing the sensations of fullness as she wriggled in between us.  All three of us were breathing heavy and slow, though only two of us actually had to breath I guess.  Her movements became more pronounced, pulling away further before settling back onto both of us.  Moans and happy sounds filled the air around us, I was no longer keeping track who made them.  A rhythm began to develop between the three of us, our bodies all writhing together, Sylph leading through the rocking of her pelvis.  As we became more in tune with that rhythm, Sylph slowly increased in speed and the two me's followed along to keep up.

    The heat and energy was building up between all of us again.  Sweaty bodies pressed up together on both the material and mental planes.  Breathing and movements becoming more jerky and erratic, our rhythm was lost, replaced only by want and desire.  The crescendo was approaching and Sylph was the lucky one it washed over first.  Her moans and shared sensations hit both my instances of self like an electric shock directly to every erogenous zone in our poor shared mind.  The failsafe began to kick in but through sheer force of will and lust we both held on to our awareness of Sylph, just in time for our own collective orgasm to send us into a giggling, quivering mess flanking Sylph from above and below.  A feedback loop of twitching muscles, shocking the other's sensitive nerves, bounced between the three of us prolonging the come down until Sylph finally rolled off and sprawled on her bed.  

    After all the giggling and twitching subsided, Sylph tiredly rolled back towards me.  "That was amazing!"  She gave me a quick kiss on the forehead.  "But just so you know, I now have the imperative to do something very similar to you."  

    Her smirk was there in full force as I blushed profusely.

[collapse]
34