Chapter 32 – My Hero (2)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grandma Hina was a person with many sides to her.

 

There were times when she was kind, like all those times she would make cookies for Shizu and I when we came back from playing.

 

Other times she was strict, such as that one time she scolded us for bringing a raccoon back to the house.

 

However, most of all, Grandma Hina was family.

 

We weren’t blood related, but we were close enough to have a grandma-grandson relationship. Despite not having seen her in a few years, I was ecstatic to meet her once again and tell her about the life I’ve been living.

 

“Granny! Your favorite grandchildren are here to visit!”

 

Shizu flung the door open and announced her arrival loud enough for the entire neighborhood to hear.

 

"Welcome home, my darlings!" Grandma Hina's warm voice greeted them from the living room, where she sat in her favorite armchair by the fireplace.

 

The two of us exchanged smiles before hurrying into the living room, our hearts filled with warmth at the sight of our beloved grandmother.

 

Grandma Hina was a vision of warmth and kindness, her gentle smile lighting up her entire face. Despite the passage of time, she still exuded a sense of grace and elegance that was unmistakably her own.

 

Her silver hair was neatly pulled back into a bun, wisps of stray strands framing her face delicately. Though age had softened her features, there was a sparkle in her eyes that spoke of a lifetime filled with wisdom and love.

 

She was dressed in a cozy knit sweater and a floral skirt, her attire a reflection of her timeless style and comfort. A pair of glasses perched on the bridge of her nose added to her scholarly air, though her warm demeanor softened any hint of severity.

 

"Granny, it's so good to see you!" Shizu exclaimed, rushing forward to give Grandma Hina a tight hug.

 

"And who do we have here?" Grandma Hina asked, her eyes twinkling with amusement as she turned her attention to me.

 

"It's me, Haruto. I hope you still remember me," I said with a sheepish grin, feeling a bit nervous after so many years.

 

"Of course, I remember you, dear boy!" Grandma Hina chuckled, reaching out to pat my cheek affectionately. "You've grown so much since the last time I saw you. Come here and give your old granny a hug!"

 

There was a sense of familiarity and warmth in her embrace, as if no time had passed at all since their last meeting.

 

As we settled into the cozy living room, Grandma Hina insisted on hearing all about our lives since we last saw her.

 

"Tell me everything, my dears," she said, settling back into her armchair with a contented sigh. 

 

Shizu and I exchanged a glance, both of us feeling a sense of nostalgia at seeing the familiar sight.

 

"Well, where should we start?" Shizu mused, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

 

"How about you tell me about your school, Shizuku?" Grandma Hina suggested, her eyes twinkling with curiosity. "I want to hear all about your studies, your friends, and any young gentlemen who may have caught your eye."

 

Shizu blushed at the mention of romance, her cheeks turning a delicate shade of pink as she glanced shyly at me.

 

Wait, why was she looking at me?

 

"Is there someone special in your life, my dear?" Grandma Hina teased, her eyes dancing with mischief. "A handsome young suitor perhaps?"

 

Shizu’s blush deepened at the teasing tone in Grandma Hina's voice, but she couldn't hide the smile that tugged at the corners of her lips.

 

Grandma Hina chuckled knowingly, her eyes twinkling with amusement as she reached out to pat Shizu’s hand affectionately.

 

"Ah, youth," she sighed, her voice filled with nostalgia. "There's nothing quite like it, is there? Tell me all about it later, Shizuku. This grandma is curious about your love life.”

 

Shizu hesitated for a moment, her cheeks still flushed with embarrassment, but she couldn't resist the twinkle of mischief in Grandma Hina's eyes.

 

“Okay…”

 

Then, as if it were par for the course, Grandma Hina turned her focus on me, eyes blazing akin to a predator.

 

“What about you, Haruto? I’m curious about your love life as well. Any special women in your life?” 

 

Grandma loved teasing her grandchildren. Knowing this, there was no way I could let her win after Shizu was so thoroughly dismantled.

 

“A few. There’s a long list of women I’ve indebted to.”

 

“A long list?!”

 

“Bahahaha! My grandson has become a player!”

 

Contrary to my beliefs, the situation was nowhere close to under my control. Shizu grabbed the collar of my shirt and began shaking me. On the other hand, Grandma Hina sat there looking amused at the situation.

 

To resolve the chaotic situation, I had to tell the truth.

 

“My mom, Grandma Hina, and some of my friends at school are a part of that list,” I explained, hoping to clear the air. “What? Did you think I was actually that popular? The only girls I know are limited to family, Shizu and Sakura included. Well, Kaguya too now.”

 

Hearing this, Shizu sighed a breath of relief.

 

“Kekeke, what a riot,” Grandma Hina chuckled.

 

After the misunderstanding was cleared up, we sat back down and started discussing the reason for our arrival.

 

“Granny, what happened to you? Are you okay?” Shizu asked, concern evident in her eyes. “I heard you fell, but Hinata wouldn’t tell me anything else. We came in a hurry because we thought you were seriously hurt.”

 

Grandma Hina smiled warmly, her eyes filled with gratitude at Shizu’s concern.

 

“Oh, it was nothing, my dear,” she reassured her granddaughter. “I just took a little tumble in the garden, that’s all. Nothing a little rest and some vitamins can’t fix.”

 

Despite her reassuring words, Shizu could see the traces of pain and fatigue in Grandma Hina’s eyes, a silent reminder of her advancing age.

 

“We’re here now, Granny,” Shizu said softly, reaching out to take Grandma Hina’s hand in hers. “And we’re going to take care of you.”

 

Grandma Hina’s eyes softened at Shizu’s words, her heart swelling with love and gratitude for her beloved grandchildren.

 

“I know you will, my dear,” she said, her voice filled with emotion. “I’m so grateful to have you both here with me.”

 

She opened her arms wide for a hug, her eyes shimmering with affection and gratitude. Shizu and I exchanged a glance before stepping forward to embrace her.

 

“I love you, Granny!”

 

“Oh, dear. I love you too, peanut.”

 

As we leaned in for the hug, I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was amiss.

 

“Haruto, do you love Grandma too?”

 

“…I do.”

 

Despite my gut telling me something was wrong, there was no way I could pinpoint the exact reason when nothing seemed to be out of place.

 

For now, I just needed to be here for Grandma Hina in her time of need.

 

“Please, just have everything be all right for once…”

0