Ch 67. The outcome of the debates
67 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All attention was focused on me and Nakayama-san.

In most cases the other students would be dying of boredom by now, but my struggle against the Dark Side is much more entertaining, than the cat videos.

For a few seconds my opponent was formulating a good question, because the outcome of the elections may be affected by the following few minutes of our discussion.

“Minohara-san, in your program you mentioned that you will work on replacing the benches across the school. Now, here is the question, why exactly you think it has a higher priority than, for example, buying more laptops for teachers to use during the lessons?” (N)

Immediately, the students started actively waiting for my response.

“It all comes down to the current requirements. As you may know, only 1 out of 5 teachers here uses presentations during the lessons, while the benches are used every day, and every lunch break. The current state of the benches is pitiful, and there were even broken benches. Not only does it mean we have to increase the amount of efforts put into renovation, but also it means that there is also a need to improve the school yard maintenance. Furthermore, the acting Council accountant has already made an estimate of the required money not only for the benches, but also left enough money to buy several laptops for the school use. You may’ve read it in my program: I am going to have electronics lent for lessons when they are required, thus not only squeezing the new electronics acquisition into the budget, but also allowing for efficient usage of…”
Efficient from whose point? Who will be verifying and estimating how efficient it was? The same goes for…” And thus we continued bickering back and forth…

The longer it dragged on, the more we were seeking faults with each other’s programs, words, and slips.

Each of us has already drank an entire bottle of water, and thus Hoshino-san had to bring us water. But we were still going on.

“… plus, the draft you presented as part of your program clearly states numbers that are underestimated. Then, if you were to become the next president, how exactly do you plan to spend the leftover budget?” I counterattacked again, pointing out a little inconsistency found by Minami-san.

“As I was saying previously, the prices have changed since the draft was created. However, I have already expected it, and thus we have back-up plan. However, I find it hard to explain how the untested idea of yours is going to work. A part of your position is based on you being the acting president, therefore you mentioned your current achievements, many of which are questionable. For example, …” (N)


We continued on and on, until at some point I noticed that the other seats on the stage are empty, and that some enterprising students are reselling popcorn and soda to the spectators…

Seriously…?

Ha-ha… We surely became a sight to behold, haven’t we…?’ Both Nakayama-san and I chuckled, and for a while we just let out throats rest.

While I was laying back, Kurosawa-kun approached me.

Kaichou, the teachers mentioned that it would be great if the two of you hurried up. Can you wrap everything up within the next 10 minutes?’ (K)

What do you think?’ I looked at the head of the Disciplinary committee.

Sounds fine to me. But I am not going to just surrender.’ (N)

Neither will I.’ We smiled at each other, and after another cup of water we continued picking to pieces each other’s programs.

“… and how would you explain…?” (N)

...

“That is why I think you program…”

...

“Furthermore, when we look at it from the perspective…” (N)

...

“… to sum it up, it is a necessary endeavor, caused by…”

...

“… seriously…? You brought it up just now…?!” (N)

...

Ah, come on! You are just finding faults with the phrasing!

We continued on, and on, and on…

Ringtone

My phone called, and I had to pick it up.

The number was not identified, but when I looked at the Queen, she really was looking at me, unamused, and held the phone too.

Yes, my Queen…? … Aha…? Um… Of course…

What is it?’ (N)

Well, time to end this. I’ve got an order…’ Both of us slightly nodded, before continuing.

“I have no more questions for my opponent. What about you, Minohara-san?” (N)

“My curiosity was fully sated. I see no point in asking you any more questions.

Then, the exasperate public finally breathed out, and was let go.

1