Ch 90. The backstage
31 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I helplessly gazed at Yukichi.

When it was suggested to try shaking her belief in me, I thought it would be easy.

Just hire an actor and give him time to prepare.

Just sit here together with the best psychologists and guide the process.

Just make that stupid girl’s resolve shake, and it will be possible to correct that last lingering tie I had.

Now, I feel like the longer I stay in this room, the crazier I get.

Fifteen attempts. Full perception substitution. Complete success in convincing Yukichi.

But, somehow, all subtle attempts at guiding her thinking process always end up derailed exactly at the point I try making her think bad of me.

Making one completely change the way they look at something is a piece of cake: show them anything that would make them doubt, and voila, misunderstandings and speculations of one’s mind start ignoring whatever good was done, replacing everything with negative perception.

That was the plan.

No! Even if you don’t agree, I will still try! Why can’t you just try seeing that my Queen is a good person?!”

“Failure. That was fifteenth…?

Your thoughts?” I looked at my support team.

They all thought the same: Yukichi is way too biased. Unnaturally biased.

And that is the problem. Unless I start tailoring her new memories, removing anything related to myself, Yukichi will remain like that.

It was no longer her being a nuisance. It was akin to a scar where there is pus under the crust.

No matter what happened years ago, right now I need to deal with the consequences of my own mistakes. I somehow botched something during my first unconscious taps into others’ minds, and now it is intertwined with the very personality of hers.

“Scenario 20.”

No matter how much I have grown in those 10 years, even I cannot guarantee that I can do anything about it, without 20% chance of turning her into an actual moron. And thus I needed to gather as much information as possible.

“Keep going, I will make a call. You too might have to call home, to tell that we are staying here for the next few days.

I stepped out, and searched for Yukichi’s parents’ number.

Heya~♪☆! It’s me, Onee-san~♪☆! … Yes, Yukichi will stay with me for the meanwhile☆. … I think 3 days should be enough☆. … Do not dictate me terms, please♪. … Oh, I didn’t pay attention to it~♪. Surely, I didn’t…♪ … Yes, it’s 100% guaranteed~♪☆. … Cheers~♪☆! Bye-bye~♪☆!

Well, it could’ve been worse…

I returned to the suite.


Attempt after an attempt, after an attempt.

“Enough for today. Thank you for your work, Maruyama-chan~♪☆.” I petted the actor.

Would I have to repeat it tomorrow?” He glanced at Yukichi, weirded out.

“Oh, no, no need~♪☆. Now, relax, and enjoy the evening~♪☆.” He stepped out of the suit.

Ping

Ah…? Erhm…? Wait! Is this where the audition is?”

“Yes~♪☆.”

I am sorry, I was a bit…

“No problem~♪☆. But, we were finishing it for today☆. Come tomorrow morning~♪☆.”

Click

Phew… Yukichi, go sleep.

Alright, people, what do you think about today’s results☆?

“It might be possible to correct her behavior, but I think she is no longer able to distinguish between the real you, and her perceptions of you.” Doctor Friedberg gazed at me.

My, I’m hurt☆.

If it was possible to hurt your esteemed self this way, I am sure humanity would have already created a weapon out of it.” The other psychologists giggled.

“If I can be honest, I doubt we will achieve anything by ‘curing’ her. If even our advices cannot be of use, we better prepare for the worst case scenarios.” He shook his head, dejected.

“Then consider it your homework♪. Think, and give me options tomorrow♪. Now, good night~♪☆.”

I closed the door behind them, and entered the bedroom.

Yukichi was lying there like a seal, taking half of the bed, and spreading her arms and legs to cover the other half.

Looking at her sleeping face, I started to wonder, from since have I felt like caring for her: I could’ve just wiped her memories of me, and that’s it.

But, here I am, pushing away her limbs to free some space to sleep, instead of buying the entire floor to accommodate myself.

Truly, human emotions are too hard to comprehend…

1